The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #26
dr fate
Side-Kick

Default Re: What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
First long tracking shot had awful CGI.
this! why was the cgi so poor for this part of the movie when its fine for the rest? did they run out of budget?

my nitpicks are id like even less humour, similar to winter soilder is perfect.
where the hell did ultron find his 2nd body? was that what strucker was building? dr cho was an awful actress. finally the film was slightly overstuffed and slightly too long. oh and pre credit scene or whatever is so meh!

dr fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #27
LittleSpidey
Side-Kick

Default Re: SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiq

-nat/bruce
-so many rushed scenes
-ultron easily defeated

I thinks the flaw isn't due to too many characters, but because it had too many unexplained moments

LittleSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #28
the gael
Side-Kick

Default Re: SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiq

Von Strucker role in the movie (seriously, two or three 30 s scenes where he surrenders without even a fight, and then.... a death off screen ????? For Nick Fury archenemy ???)

Thor subplot seems disconnected and much of his role seems to be a set up for Thor 3

The humour isn't as good as in the first Avengers.

the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 AM   #29
BlackDoomShadow
The Scarlet Witch

This movie really needs an additional 20 minutes. No idea why Marvel decided to chop it down, especially when they saw how excited the internet got at the 2 hour 40 minute rumors a few months ago.

BlackDoomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:27 AM   #30
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Felt like the overall Ultron plotline was weak, how many times have we seen the same thing with a rampant self aware AI trying to take over the world in the name of evolution because humans are a danger to themselves so saving the world would mean killing them all, clearly the point of the story was to divide and conquer the avengers, but we'd already seen that to smarter effect in the first one, all this film entailed was scarlet witch getting into the head of some avengers and breaking their spirit, i never felt that any of them were in any physical disadvantage in the movie.

Also the hulk vs hulkbuster fight was way to self indulgent, and while i appreciate the effects it had on the bruce arc, they really should have set it up better so that we rooted for stark to take down hulk, because as it was...it just felt like a fanservice brawl between the two rather than stark trying to stop hulk because he was a genuine terror to everything else around him.

The stuff with vision was also a bit muddled, rushed and confusing, if he's not jarvis, then take the time to explain where the character that people know and love since IM1 has gone and what this actually means for the vision, otherwise you just have people confused and not involved in this new character for the last 20 minutes that you've decided to allow to hold the hammer twice and defeat the main villain.

Some real filmaking and writing flaws, but overal the film was a blast. I liked it more than the somewhat hollow first film.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/4-Batman Begins/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Guardians of the Galaxy/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #31
marvellover
Side-Kick

Ultron IS a WEAK villain

marvellover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #32
cwere

Needed to be longer

Didn't like how the new score, or lack of thereof sounded like

Hate the fact that QS bit the dust, he was an interesting character with a lot of growth potential.

Post credits scene, yeah...

Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #33
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Ultron was not a big enough threat. His motives needed to be expanded upon on.
The Bruce/Nat thing needed more development.
Score was weak. Best part of score was when they were fighting off the drones together.
Needed more Vision.
Film needed to be a bit longer.
Thor's little quest was definitely cut down. Felt out of place.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #34
JLMHodge
Side-Kick

I know these are two common ones, but Quicksilver's death and the Hulk/Black Widow romance. I loved Aaron Taylor-Johnson's portrayal of the character, him and Elizabeth Olsen brought the twins to life very well. I personally felt that they wasted his character a bit by killing him off. Also, it's not really a flaw in the film, but I was hoping to see a glimpse of Loki during Thor's vision.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #35
OriS
Newbie First Class

- Agree with Banner/BW romance question mark. For me, it just didn't flow. Take it out completely and it wouldn't make any difference to the plot. Nor did they explain how Natasha became the Hulk's lullaby.
- The Nexus; did Stark really need to go there to 'figure out' what was going on? It felt more like an excuse to give RDJr further screen time.
- The Falcon. This is a personal pet peeve. C'mon Mackie, second movie - have you really not learnt how to land yet? He's still tripping over his feet when he lands.
- CGI. In a couple of shots you can see the safety wire or worse the full harness and wire Evans' is wearing while performing Cap A stunts. Don't get me wrong, the guy definitely needs safety gear in certain stunts I'm just surprised that nobody in production/editing caught that it's visible. (Green lorry and transport truck in S.Korea)

OriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #36
Blue42
Side-Kick

Movie was too short
Hated that they killed off Quicksilver (such a waste of a character)
Bruce and Natasha Romance
Felt rushed
Didn't care about Hawkeye's family

Blue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #37
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Really enjoyed the movie, 8/10 for me, but here are my nitpicks:

-Twins brought very little. Could've eliminated them from the plot completely and they could easily write around them. I would've much preferred more Ultron and not the twins.

-Hawkeye. Not important to me to all. His roll was written decently, just would've preferred another Avenger as the side "focus". More focus on Hulk/Widow would've been preferred here

-I know Tony wrote Ultron, seeing how Jarvis is, Ultron would mimick him somewhat, but I wanted to see a more ruthless and crazier Ultron. Not the "I'm Smarter than you" douchey Big Bang Theory personality we got. Spader's Ultron was ok.

-CGI Thanos??? I mean c'mon, the Vision looked really good onscreen. They can't do the same for Thanos???? CGI Thanos looks ridiculous

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-01-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #38
BETArayBill
Side-Kick

-Quicksilver's death felt so cheap and unearned like hey we need to kill somebody just because
-Strucker's death again great character totally wasted on an offscreen death
-thought the post credit scene was kinda weak
-Maria Hill seemed kinda pointless in here again they really need to find something better to do with her character

Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #39
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

-Ignores some of the plot threads that didn't end in IM3, TWS, and even AOS.
-Ultron was a weak threat and was dealt with quickly. He was an intellectual villain but was treated like a physical villain.
-IMO, Quicksilver's death wasn't handled well. Hawkeye just lays down next to him and says he's had a bad day. Not really sure what that moment was about.
-No consequences for Tony. Since his Vision plan worked all is forgiven I guess. Tony laughing at everyone calling him out about Ultron was weird.

John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #40
PyroChamber
Not lactose, it's milk!

Maybe it's just me but I didn't really care for how Ultron just became evil automatically as soon as he gained consciousness.

I didn't get the point of Dr. Cho, especially when you see that half of the party scene was her falling asleep, also how is Selvig suddenly not crazy anymore?

And in IW, can we have it to where the Avengers aren't under some form of mind control?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #41
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I didn't like the pacing.

Bruce Banner was a bore.

Quicksilver and Vision were wasted... didn't really get to see them do much of anything.

Ultron just suddenly being evil seemed stupid.

Tony was a real jack*** this time around, and didn't we already deal with the whole "paranoid Tony" arc in IM3?

The Avengers basically cleaning up their own **** for the whole film, which made them seem a lot less heroic.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #42
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:07 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #43
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

One of the biggest problems for me was the score. It simply wasn't memorable enough. It didn't give me that sense of awe and wonder that the first film did. There were some moments in this movie that would be greatly enhanced by a stronger score. The best parts of this soundtrack were the ones re-used from the first film. Like that epic Helicarrier music that played when it showed up. That was sooo good. Gave me that same feel as the first movie.

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #44
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDoomShadow View Post
This movie really needs an additional 20 minutes. No idea why Marvel decided to chop it down, especially when they saw how excited the internet got at the 2 hour 40 minute rumors a few months ago.
Correction. Fans got excited by the long cut of the film. To executives, that's not good news at all. It means less possible showings per day which means less money being made and that's not what they want. The only thing that really matters to an executive is how much money the film can possibly bring in.

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #45
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Lets see.
First, didn't care for Ultron. He wasn't threatening to me, very weak villain, and I did think he seemed more of a threat in the trailers than in the actual movie. Sorry, but the chatty, joking robot being evil, doesn't work. Cold, calculating like the T-1000 is the way to go. But, even then, when reading about Ultron, I was skeptical of this working because it just felt so generic. Another AI taking over the world, and in essence, just repeating the same crap that the first Avengers had, that the main villain is to save humanity through tyrany or outright genocide. YAWN. We saw this with Loki!

Quicksilver being killed off just to amp up the stakes was such a cheap ass move. It was cheap, and I didn't care for it. If they wanted to amp up the stakes, then kill someone that really is useless, like Maria Hill. And who the heck is Veronica??????

The Bruce/Natasha thing did not work. At all. Anyone who thinks this is just yes men or fooling themselves. Precious screen time wasted on this crap could have been better put to use by fleshing out and developing the twins more.

The continuity to this movie is all over the place. The scene when they get to Hawkeyes farm, well, I just felt the whole story about him and his family was forced, and I felt no chemistry between him and his wife. I was so bored by this time, I actually had to catch myself from falling asleep.

The comedy was mostly a miss for me. Amazing, for the most part, the humor was great in the first Avengers, great in Ironman and Thor, even Captain America, but this one, the jokes fell flat to me.

Falcoln was wasted. He should have been with Rhodey helping him out with the invasion of the bots.

I guess it comes down to
Ultron sucked
Quicksilver death was wasted and we know he's coming back
The sideplots were all over the place and no continuity, poor pacing, poor plot.
Bruce/Natasha thing sucked
Not enough of the twins.
Milnoir being picked up by Vision was a gag, something that should have been saved for Cap in one of the IW. Now thanks to effon Whedon, that special moment has been lost, to a freaking running gag!
Action scenes felt rushed and too much shaky cam, hard to see what was going on.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #46
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #47
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSpidey View Post
-nat/bruce
-so many rushed scenes
-ultron easily defeated

I thinks the flaw isn't due to too many characters, but because it had too many unexplained moments
Yeah, it's not the too many characters, it's that they are writing the characters into situations that nobody really cares about. The Bruce/Natasha thing was wasted. Marvel, like many comic book movies, don't do romance very well, and should have just kept things out of it. The whole thing about Hawkeye using his family and home as a hideout seemed ok at first, but I just didn't buy the relationship, no chemistry. Cho, what was her point again??????

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #48
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Finally saw it this afternoon, here's what I didn't particularly like:

- There was way too much crammed into one movie. I don't think it needed to be longer AT ALL. There needed to be some refinement and some plots and storylines needed to get the cut.
- Add Ultron as yet another half-baked villain for MCU. What is with them and their villains, they haven't had a single compelling one other than Loki.
- Quicksilver and Scarlet Witches accents were terrible. Speaking of the twins, I liked Scarlet Witch but Quicksilver was forgettable. Personally, neither of them needed to be in this movie, Would have worked better if they added team members that may have a little bit more impact on the overall universe since I don't see how Scarlet Witch will really factor into anything at this point. I PRAY they don't bring Quicksilver back to life otherwise, what's the point of death in the MCU?
- The jokes this go around unbearable. I'm all for light hearted moments but c'mon, they were way too over the top in this one. Really dragged a lot of scenes down in my opinion.
- Tony's story didn't really go anywhere and just kind of ended with a "Meh." I don't see how he'll possibly go up against Cap in Civil War and it make any sense at this point.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #49
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #50
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
I was convinced that was mind control. When it wasn't I was very confused. I still don't know what that scene was about so I'll have to watch it again.

I agree about no consequences for Stark. I guess that's for Civil War. Even his fight with Hulk seemed completely glossed over with some reference to a Stark Relief Response making it all OK. We kept hearing about how this movie would deal with the consequences of being the Avengers but it didn't. And everything that happened is pretty much their fault. But again, phase 3 is coming blah blah.

I also agree about lack of connection between the other films. Especially true for Stark. He is in a completely different place from where he ended in IM3.
Agree with all of this.

Stark came off as maniacal in that scene. Here he's unleashed a robot that's going to destroy the world and he has a good laugh over people calling him out on it? I wanted Cap to curb stomp his ass right there.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote