The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #51
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiq

Thor's whole vision-quest in the cave was really rushed and disjointed.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #52
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Default Re: SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Thor's whole vision-quest in the cave was really rushed and disjointed.
I really felt like they kept that scene in just so he can take his shirt off for the fangirls. That's it. Take it out and it really meant nothing in the grand scheme of things.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #53
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Eh, they didn't even really linger on him the way the other Thor involved films have in the past.

They kept the absolute bare minimum needed to mention the term "infinity stones" .

The scene was just plot plumbing.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #54
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I really felt like they kept that scene in just so he can take his shirt off for the fangirls. That's it. Take it out and it really meant nothing in the grand scheme of things.
It was needed to explain why Thor helps create the Vision, and to explain how Thor knew about Mind Stone.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #55
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quicksilver dying was a waste and added little given audiences hadn't seen enough of him yet. And the franchise could do with having a brother sister relationship on the team, a speedster on the team, a douche hero and a guy who can rescue civilians so effectively.

Someone else mentioned killing off Strucker was unnecessary too and I agree. he looked like he might have been interesting to use in a future Cap film or AoS.

The Thor vision scenes seemed to have some links cut as they didn't really fit well with the film the way they were.

Ultron needed to be more threatening and consistently scary. I wish that could somehow have been achieved while keeping his best jokes though.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #56
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:10 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #57
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Did anyone else get 9/11 flashbacks when the building collapsed during the hulkbuster fight?
I did, because of the shot of the people running away from the dust.

It was weird because I normally don't think of it during such scenes.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #58
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Did anyone else get 9/11 flashbacks when the building collapsed during the hulkbuster fight?
Not in the slightest.

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #59
BlackDoomShadow
The Scarlet Witch

I wish we had seen more interaction between the twins, especially since we'll never get another chance now. Hopefully there are some deleted scenes on the blu-ray.

BlackDoomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #60
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The final battle felt somewhat like a retread of the first Avengers movie final battle. Just substituting the Chitari hoard for the Ultron bots.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #61
Godzillasaurus
Someone with no strings

-Everything happened too quickly: Strucker was a huge player in the first few minutes before becoming irrelevant minutes later, Ultron's intro was too brash, never really got much explanation for things

-Ultron should have gotten more fighting time

-Too many jokes in stressful situations. If the world was ending, would you be cracking pointless jokes every second?

-Nat/Bruce romance

Godzillasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #62
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #63
Drizzle
I got my cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
What is with them and their villains, they haven't had a single compelling one other than Loki.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #64
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
The whole Daredevil series seems to be the exception to the rule in the MCU.

Its like it operates in its own world despite it being part of the MCU. Literally night and day to the Avengers.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #65
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It was needed to explain why Thor helps create the Vision, and to explain how Thor knew about Mind Stone.
No it doesn't.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #66
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Is it bad that I was kind of (really) underwhelmed by Vision? I just thought his introduction to the rest of the team was super-heavy exposition central, and it was weirdly paced and crammed into the last half of the movie, like Joss was rushing to hit that particular beat. REALLY NOT INTO VISION PICKING UP THOR'S HAMMER.

Also, I didn't really feel Hawkeye's story. I guess maybe I knew it was coming, but the wife/family stuff fell forced and flat to me.

And for someone who was so eager to love Bruce/Nat, Joss hamhanded their relationship so hard, especially in the final act, that it just made me give no Fs about them. In fact, I wasn't as into Bruce in this movie.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 AM   #67
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #68
Picard Stewart
Banned User

1. Ultron. He was underwhelming and far too comical.

2. The convenient SHIELD rescue sequence. Yeah, Fury had a helicarrier hidden under his condo in Florida...nonsense.

3. The merging of Vision and Adam Warlock. It didn't need to be done. Whedon should have never agreed to it.

Picard Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #69
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I thought Fury's role in the movie was pointless along with his save. Why is Fury suddenly OK with coming out of hiding and using a Helicarrier again?

As bold as crushing SHIELD in Winter Soldier was, this is my problem with it. Why? It's convenient to have an organization like SHIELD in the MCU. It's helpful for stupid plot devices like this to make them more organic and feasible. OK, here is SHIELD to run interference for the battle to supervise the evacuation while Avengers fight Ultron. But UH OH we just laid waste to SHIELD in the last movie. Oh well, Fury after faking his death and going underground just shows up without fanfare and busts out a Helicarrier. Whatever. In short, the filmmakers wants to get rid of SHIELD, but they don't want to deal with the consequences.

Strucker turning out to be a pointless character they get rid of in about two minutes of screentime.

Really disjointed editing. Klaue just suddenly disappears. You don't see what happens to him or how he escapes.

In the big climax, there's an Ultron bot that activates the device. Thor is then there i the next shot, no Ultron bot. Should've shown Thor arriving there just a little bit too late and smashing the bot.

I didn't need all the Hawkeye family, death fakeout stuff. Renner has never been my ideal Hawkeye IMHO. He's missing that sort of roguish hotshot element. A competent dude who stands in the shadow of greats. A dude who has quite an ego on him. Orphan who was trained in the circus, all of that.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #70
Sundancer
Cynicist

So Loki got the scepter from the Chitauri, backed by Thanos

Ultron pulled the mindstone from the scepter

Thanos had an infinity gem and let it out of his possession??

Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #71
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Vision lecturing everyone about the importance of life when he was just born seemed a bit pretentious

Old 05-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #72
Picard Stewart
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Vision lecturing everyone about the importance of life when he was just born seemed a bit pretentious
Because this version of Vision is Adam Warlock, it makes sense. Warlock is the avatar of life in the Marvel Universe. Thanos is the avatar of death. One built to protect life. The other to destroy it.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #73
Picard Stewart
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
So Loki got the scepter from the Chitauri, backed by Thanos

Ultron pulled the mindstone from the scepter

Thanos had an infinity gem and let it out of his possession??
Thanos knew the Mind Gem would cause trouble on Earth. He was hoping to destroy Earth by allowing it to do all the work. The Avengers intervened so now Thanos is gonna take care of business himself.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #74
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Stewart View Post
Because this version of Vision is Adam Warlock, it makes sense. Warlock is the avatar of life in the Marvel Universe. Thanos is the avatar of death. One built to protect life. The other to destroy it.
Yeah, but in the context of the film... it doesn't make sense.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #75
Picard Stewart
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Yeah, but in the context of the film... it doesn't make sense.
The idea was to show this being is something truly unexpected and not at all what he was intended to be. Thor sees him in his vision and realizes he's going to play a role for good in the conflict with the gauntlet.

I agree there were better ways to do this but if you're a Warlock fan you knew what Whedon was doing.