The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 05-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #101
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiq

I'm with Suzanne on this one. I loved the running "language" gag, and Cap's characterization here in general. As I said in another thread, while I also enjoyed his characterization in TWS, I was happy to see him get his sense of humor back here.

But since this is the flaws/critiques thread, I will say I didn't care for the handling of Black Widow in this movie. I wasn't opposed to Bruce/Natasha, but Natasha just softened up too much for me, particularly in the scene at Clint's farm. I just didn't buy it with her.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #102
Spicy
Man-spider/Venom Fan

Default Re: SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiq

It felt like some of Thor's stuff was cut, and Vision picking up Thor's hammer bugged me.

Spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:11 AM   #103
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:13 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #104
PunyGod
Astronomer

///

Last edited by PunyGod; 05-08-2015 at 07:13 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #105
tek
Side-Kick

that tattoo on the joker screamed tryhard. oops ... the start was too action packed for my brain. Ultron being not one dimensional enough for my brain, as I have been told that comedy and evil is susposedly mutually exclusive.

tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:15 AM   #106
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

-Black Widow,She was nothing like she was in The Winter Soldier.Her costume sucked with all the neon blue,her costume is supposed to be black and red hence the name Black Widow.
She didn't have any cool Kung fu scenes,no cool gadgets,and her romantic scenes with Bruce were horrible.

-Falcon and War Machine should of been in the final battle big time,War Machine just got a cameo which was bull.

-Quicksilver died

-Ultron didn't look like anything special,looked like something that I seen before a thousand times before.

-Ultrons minions was like the Chitauri fight all over again,it looked like I was watching the final battle from the first movie all over again.

-Thor's water/bath scene.

-Hulk having to be calmed down by Black Widow to turn back into Banner.The first movie showed how Banner can control it,so it was like taking a step back.

-Hawkeye didn't get killed.

-Not explaining the Infinity Stones real good.

-Not explaining the Vibrainium real good.

Cast Joe Manganiello for Kraven the Hunter!
GoldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #107
erehwon0
Side-Kick

I felt they went too far withs the quips. Made to look as if it was all a game and the stakes were not that high.

Felt they tried to cram a little too much this time. I guess that's the price you pay for having to keep a schedule! Hopefully there will be a director's cut to let more characterization breathe.

erehwon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #108
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Only two things stuck out to me:

1. Falcon should have been there in the final battle. Given that it basically took place in the air, it would have only made sense to include him.

2. Thor taking a bath in the middle of the film seemed to come out of nowhere. I'm okay with him going and learning about the Infinity Stones, but I just felt like it was handled strangely.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #109
martijndepro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
-Hulk having to be calmed down by Black Widow to turn back into Banner.The first movie showed how Banner can control it,so it was like taking a step back.
Indeed. Although it apparently does depend in what manner he transforms. Like in New York he was in complete control and Hulk is chill towards everyone else. He also seemed to know what to do in the opening scene of AoU, so when everyone's defeated he'll automatically calm down and transform back, right? Or are we supposed to think that Hulk will jump miles away and they have to go through the trouble to locate Banner somewhere in the jungle again? O, wait, no. They shoe horned Black Widow's ability to control the Hulk in so they could set up a romance.

Hulk is just there in Age of Ultron, he doesn't add anything. Even when rampaging you never get the idea he's really a threat. It doesn't last long enough and how much a threat is he really when Iron Man can 'beat' him by himself. Sigh. I think the perfect ending to the Hulk vs Hulkbuster fight would be Hulk coming to realization what he's done, then after he get's punched destroys Hulkbuster armor and jump off to get himself together. Anyone agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldGoblin View Post
-Hawkeye didn't get killed.
I can't believe how people are actually enjoying Hawkeye's 'character development'. It adds nothing to the story and I couldn't wait for scenes with him to be over and done with. That stereotypical farm and perfect family life, who buys that, really? You get inclined to believe Hawkeye's family is introduced so that his death later in the film would have more of an impact, but he's just as random as ever. The only thing we got out of AoU is the fact that we're supposed to root for Hawkeye cause he has a wife and 2 kids at home. But yea, that didn't work, for me that is.

martijndepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #110
Godzillasaurus
Someone with no strings

Oh yeah and I guess you could say that I wished for more War Machine too. Either give him more to do or don't even include him in the movie! Rhodes was nonexistent for the center bulk of the story and then is just sort of thrown-into the action during the climax. But this is more of a minor fault for me

Godzillasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #111
marvellover
Side-Kick

Ultron is so weak and lame of a villain and shouldn't be used as Avengers villain if he's portrayed like that in the film

marvellover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #112
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvellover View Post
Ultron is so weak and lame of a villain and shouldn't be used as Avengers villain if he's portrayed like that in the film
Okay we Get it. You didn't like Ultron.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #113
jmc
away for a while

The thing that bugs me the most after seeing the film 10 days ago is that Hawkeye's plot point feels like time wasted that could have been better served on Ultron. The whole part featuring his family is nice and all but it really is only there to set up the illusion that he (or someone) is going to die. Not only doesn't he die, but the person who does isn't even relevant to Hawkeye. If it was Black Widow who was killed it would have a big impact because those two have history together, it would make sense to set something like that up for a shocking twist. But Quicksilver? He has no value to Hawkeye so the impact is completely watered down. All that plot thread did was lead us to a weak conclusion, as such it could have been dropped from the film and that time better served to giving Ultron better character development.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #114
Picard Stewart
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
It felt like some of Thor's stuff was cut, and Vision picking up Thor's hammer bugged me.
Comics Vision would never have been able to do that. Movie Vision is really Adam Warlock and there's nobody more worthy of lifting that hammer than Adam aka Space Jesus aka the Avatar of Life in the Marvel Universe.

Picard Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #115
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
the thing that bugs me the most after seeing the film 10 days ago is that hawkeye's plot point feels like time wasted that could have been better served on ultron. The whole part featuring his family is nice and all but it really is only there to set up the illusion that he (or someone) is going to die. Not only doesn't he die, but the person who does isn't even relevant to hawkeye. If it was black widow who was killed it would have a big impact because those two have history together, it would make sense to set something like that up for a shocking twist. But quicksilver? He has no value to hawkeye so the impact is completely watered down. All that plot thread did was lead us to a weak conclusion, as such it could have been dropped from the film and that time better served to giving ultron better character development.
yessssssssss all this!!!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #116
warriorking
Side-Kick

The Ultron Thor call out, Basically Thor was set up to make Vision Look cool with the Hammer strike..Let Thor do the hammer work...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #117
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
When I kept hearing about all the characters and story elements that were going to be in this film I worried that it would be way too much. That is pretty much the case although it wasn't a complete mess.

For one thing I don't think they should have had both Vision and the twins. Just one or the other.
I would have preferred the Twins over Vision. I didn't care for Vision, like, at all!

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #118
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
It's not that I didn't enjoy Cap in this because I did. Like I said he was the character I was most looking forward to seeing, it's just really jarring seeing how differently this Cap was written in comparison to his TWS iteration.
Look on the bright side, the Russos will be handling Cap from Civil War and on.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #119
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek View Post
that tattoo on the joker screamed tryhard. oops ... the start was too action packed for my brain. Ultron being not one dimensional enough for my brain, as I have been told that comedy and evil is susposedly mutually exclusive.
The only way comedy and villainy can co-exist, is if Alan Rickman is playing said villain.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #120
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I would have preferred the Twins over Vision. I didn't care for Vision, like, at all!
Wow, you're the on,y other person I've seen that felt the same way about Vision!

(Well, save for Bettany's body... D A M N!!)

Old 05-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #121
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Only two things stuck out to me:

1. Falcon should have been there in the final battle. Given that it basically took place in the air, it would have only made sense to include him.

2. Thor taking a bath in the middle of the film seemed to come out of nowhere. I'm okay with him going and learning about the Infinity Stones, but I just felt like it was handled strangely.
Why didn't they just have him go off to one of the pastures and sit down and meditate. During his meditation, he sees the vision, and then a narrative, maybe from Odin or maybe from Heimdall, explains about the infinity stones in a way that not only does Thor understand, but the regular joes like myself who are watching this in the theater. We didn't need him to go off on some quest. In Avengers 1, it showed Loki meditating and conversing with the aliens light years away, so why not do the same with Thor?

Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #122
HarryOsborn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Stewart View Post
Comics Vision would never have been able to do that. Movie Vision is really Adam Warlock and there's nobody more worthy of lifting that hammer than Adam aka Space Jesus aka the Avatar of Life in the Marvel Universe.
Space Jesus is Anakin Skywalker, just ask RedLetterMedia.

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #123
HarryOsborn
Banned User

Anyway the whole language gag totally pulled me out of the film

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #124
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Stewart View Post
Movie Vision is really Adam Warlock and there's nobody more worthy of lifting that hammer than Adam aka Space Jesus aka the Avatar of Life in the Marvel Universe.
No offense but can you play another tune?
I can't recall a single post of yours in this section that doesn't refer to the above...

Black Panther - 7 / 10

Justice League - 3 / 10
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #125
Picard Stewart
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
No offense but can you play another tune?
I can't recall a single post of yours in this section that doesn't refer to the above...
Its one of my gripes with the film, guy. This is the critiques thread after all. It's also what stood out the most for me in AOU.

Plus as a Warlock fan it pains me to hear people loving Bettany's Vision for what they believe was a faithful adaptation of the character when in fact Bettany was playing Adam. Some obscure characters don't deserve to be obscure, a sentiment that also goes to Mar-Vell the true Captain Marvel which most probably will not be faithfully adapted either.

Picard Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote