Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #576
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne
As much as I want to see Pettis/Aldo, I hope they stay in their divisions for a couple more fights. Both of those divisions are STACKED and I don't want them to be held up, but Aldo, I think needs to move up to lightweight anyway, I hear the weight cut gets more difficult each time.
Aldo vs. Pettis is a dream matchup and legit superfight, and now it's even bigger since both guys have titles. It makes sense for the UFC to sign this fight as the headliner for the big Super Bowl weekend, but there are a few obstacles in the way:

* Both guys want to be dual title-holders, so there's undoubtedly going to be a bit of a standoff over whose belt would actually be on the line if they met.

* Generally, a superfight gets signed when champions are so dominant that they've cleaned out their divisions. In this case, however, featherweight and lightweight are loaded with challengers. Pettis' win opens things up at 155, as Grant had one title shot promised to him and then removed due to injury.

* Pettis' injury, which would make this whole post and speculation moot if it turns out to be serious.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 09-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #577
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

- CM Punk
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #578
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Also, I'd like to see Mendes/Edgar before either of them gets a rematch against Aldo.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #579
Project862006
Banned User

lamas should get next crack at aldo

Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #580
DoomsdayApex
Banned User

Damn, I just realized... that's three Mexican-American fighters that hold UFC gold (although Pettis is 25% Puerto Rican). Dana White, now's the time to send a UFC event to Mexico City.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #581
Project862006
Banned User

gsp is the only ufc champ not in his 20's

Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #582
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Teixiera vs. Bader is a great opportunity for Teixiera to put a stamp on top contendership at light heavyweight. Machida has lost, Phil Davis has no statement wins against contenders lately. You'd fancy Teixiera will get a shot with a win, probably why he finds himself in a main event in a fight that doesn't really deserve top billing considering Bader's lack of ranking. Alas, we're here, and it should be a good one because Teixiera is a mack truck with some of the best offense in the division, but we don't know what his TDD will be like, so it's a good test. I'm going Teixiera early, looking class and making people really want that fight with Jones.

Everybody's predicting Okami by getting either his bike on or his blanket on. It's where the money lies, but Jacare has good hands, and Okami gets hurt every fight nowadays, and if he gets hurt here, Jacare will be comfortable cutting through him unlike Belcher and Lombard. Depends if he can hurt him on the feet as I can't see him taking Okami down, and Okami is so good from top position that a submission from the guard is unlikely too. I really hope Jacare wins though, Okami isn't fun to watch, and Jacare could be a contender if he gets through him.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #583
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Chael Sonnen vs. Rashad Evans is official for the co-main event at UFC 167.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #584
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

War Sonnen!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #585
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Mir vs. Overeem added to the card. This card is getting seriously stacked.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #586
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'd say the loser gets cut and main events the next Bellator PPV .

- CM Punk
Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #587
Mace Bloodstone
Side-Kick

Hope they both saved their money. I see the loser getting cut and the winner losing in his next fight, neither can really take a hit anymore. I hate bringing it up but I think Overeem psychologically has no confidence without PEDs. The Overeem who fought Brock looked like a killer... now? He just looks like he's going through the motions in a fight and hopes he gets lucky somehow.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #588
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Poor Overeem got sued by his crooked old managers so they basically garnish his wages for some of his fights I think. I imagine he did pretty well though from his fights in Japan as such and he was probably one of the higher paid heavyweights.

Mir got paid $200K in losing efforts JDS and Cormier, so he shouldn't be doing too bad.

- CM Punk
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #589
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

I don't see Mir holding up in this fight. But, you never know with Overeem. I'm hoping for a double knockout, to be honest.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #590
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

Antonio Silva vs. Mark Hunt at Fight Night 33.

I hope Bigfoot knocks Hunt's head off.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #591
I'm Venom
"Hi, honey..."

BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar will be the coaches of The Ultimate Fighter 19 and fight at featherweight at the conclusion of the series. My head just exploded. Penn at featherweight is mad at this stage, last year he couldn't be arsed even to cut to 155, now he's going further and fighting a man who's beaten him twice already. Edgar will win again because he's in his prime, but a deal for Penn to make history - you'd have to think he'll get a title shot if he beats Edgar, but if he loses, he's likely done.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #592
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The favorite to win TUF 18 for the women, Shayna Baszler lost.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #593
CrypticOne
Beautiful Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
The favorite to win TUF 18 for the women, Shayna Baszler lost.
Loved the fight.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #594
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Man, Ronda really is a petty, horrible person. I see why she trains w/ the Diaz bros now. Lol@ "laughing at my girl's pain".

Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #595
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I'm not really feeling the Penn vs. Edgar match, nor do I like Edgar coaching TUF. Penn is at his last legs, so I don't care if he's gone for a long time since it's pretty much been that way anyway. Edgar is a top fighter, and I'd rather see him fight Chad Mendes, or somebody that's on that same level.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #596
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Pettis is amazing. Glad Okami got his ass kicked
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Venom View Post
Chael Sonnen vs. Rashad Evans is official for the co-main event at UFC 167.
Was happy to see Sonnen finally finish somebody of importance, but I still want Rashad to finish him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Man, Ronda really is a petty, horrible person. I see why she trains w/ the Diaz bros now. Lol@ "laughing at my girl's pain".
lol Not sure if she's horrible yet, but she does need to calm the **** down. Kinda glad that
Shayna
lost. Seemed very full of herself. Wish that Tara Larosa had some big paydays when she was in her prime

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!

Last edited by brainchild81; 09-12-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #597
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Bloodstone View Post
Hope they both saved their money. I see the loser getting cut and the winner losing in his next fight, neither can really take a hit anymore. I hate bringing it up but I think Overeem psychologically has no confidence without PEDs. The Overeem who fought Brock looked like a killer... now? He just looks like he's going through the motions in a fight and hopes he gets lucky somehow.
See to be honest, I said it before Overeem came to the UFC & still maintained it after he beat Brock. He was badly overrated by his fanbase. With the exception of maybe Werdum, a fight he looked like **** in as well, there was nobody in that 9/10 fight winning streak he was on at HW that impressed me. Even the Brock victory didn't impress me. Brock was coming off that lengthy layoff & stomach injury, I think if Overeem had fought him when he was active ie fighting 2/3 times a year, Lesnar would have if not taken him down, wore him down enough so that he could have done essentially what Browne & Silva did to him & KO him after he gassed. A win is a win, but he didn't impress me against Lesnar.

Another problem with Overeem is he thinks he has the chin & speed to drop his hands, he neither has the chin or the speed to do this.. especially at HW. I mean he was KO'd by MW's & LHW's in the past, how has he not realised that HW's tend to have significantly more power & if they catch you, it's going to put you in alot more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I'm not really feeling the Penn vs. Edgar match, nor do I like Edgar coaching TUF. Penn is at his last legs, so I don't care if he's gone for a long time since it's pretty much been that way anyway. Edgar is a top fighter, and I'd rather see him fight Chad Mendes, or somebody that's on that same level.
I think it is kinda intriguing given it's a fight taking place at Featherweight. I mean not only his recent but essentially all BJ's loses have 1 thing in common. 170lbs. Sure he has had limited success there in the past, but as the sports evolved, fighters can no longer really fight in a weight class above where they belong in my opinion as the difference maker tends to be the weight. LW was more BJ's weight class, I can only presume if he's going to drop to FW he's going to come into the fight motivated & most importantly in shape.

He'll be a big FW as well. I don't anticipate him beating Edgar even at FW, I think his speed advantage will be the big difference maker & Edgar's cardio is probably the best in MMA, however I don't think he'll take the type of beating he took against Diaz or MacDonald in which those guys were just simply too big for him.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #598
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
lol Not sure if she's horrible yet, but she does need to calm the **** down. Kinda glad that
Shayna
lost. Seemed very full of herself. Wish that Tara Larosa had some big paydays when she was in her prime
Who puts a playing card in their opponent's shirt during the weigh-in? These women need to tone down the theatrics and focus on punching each other in the face. I'm anxious to see that big Sasquatch-y woman who's a professor fight. Damn, she looks tough.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #599
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
I think it is kinda intriguing given it's a fight taking place at Featherweight. I mean not only his recent but essentially all BJ's loses have 1 thing in common. 170lbs. Sure he has had limited success there in the past, but as the sports evolved, fighters can no longer really fight in a weight class above where they belong in my opinion as the difference maker tends to be the weight. LW was more BJ's weight class, I can only presume if he's going to drop to FW he's going to come into the fight motivated & most importantly in shape.

He'll be a big FW as well. I don't anticipate him beating Edgar even at FW, I think his speed advantage will be the big difference maker & Edgar's cardio is probably the best in MMA, however I don't think he'll take the type of beating he took against Diaz or MacDonald in which those guys were just simply too big for him.
I think that BJ just went to welterweight to save himself some excuses for when he loses. After the GSP demolition it was all about how no one could beat BJ at the same weight, and at 155 that was crushed by little Frankie Edgar who is small enough for featherweight. Now I just see him going at Frankie with another built in excuse that he's cutting too much weight. Unfortunately that's how BJ works. If he wins he's the GOAT, but if he loses it doesn't count because the temperature wasn't what the weatherman said it was supposed to be or some ****. I know he said that he wants to beat Frankie before retiring, but this just screams safe fight to me. If he wins, "OMG he is so boss!" If he loses: "well he never fought at that weight before, he did good in the first 20 seconds before Frankie was being a pussy and kept dodging his punches, and he got robbed against Frankie the first time, so in reality he's 1-0 against Edgar"

I hope that he shows up good, but with BJ I don't believe a damn thing anymore until I see it. If he has a great showing I'd gladly eat my crow, but with BJ it's usually SSDD.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #600
Dr. Evil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
Loved the fight.
No doubt.

I am going with Jessamyn Duke to win it all for the women.