The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #26
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Ghost Rider 2 In The Works - Part 3

So I saw the GR trailer yesterday in the theater before MI:4 and thought it looked tons better than when seen on the small screen, at least for me it seemed that way. It definitely made me more interested in seeing it. Still not sure if I will.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
So I saw the GR trailer yesterday in the theater before MI:4 and thought it looked tons better than when seen on the small screen, at least for me it seemed that way. It definitely made me more interested in seeing it. Still not sure if I will.
Was it the first trailer or second trailer? I'm still waiting to catcht the trailer on the big screen.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticPredator View Post
First off, Ghost Rider is one of the worst films ever made. It's horrible in every single way. Aside from 13 year old boys, most people hated it.
Worst Films ever made=hyperbole
Most people hated it=some people hated it

I don't pretend it's an Oscar winner but you clearly aren't watching enough movies across broad range of genres to say One Of The Worst Films ever. Hell, it's not even in the top 10 of worst Comic Films made. I equally hear comments echoing this that at worst it was an average film.

Quote:
Second of, Nicolas Cage. Barely anyone likes him now. He's basically box office poison. He's often considered one of the worst actors working today.
Poll results? Sources? This is opinion stated as fact.
Box Office Poison-lets bring some numbers/facts into this drivel he's spewing. For wide release films.
Knowing(2009) - Budget $50m WWbox office= $183m
Kick-Ass(2010) - Budget-$30m WWbox office=$98m
Sorcerers Apprentice(2010) - Budget-$150m WWbox office=$215m
Season of the Witch(2011) - Budget-$40m WWbox office= $91m
Drive Angry(2011) - Budget-not posted WWbox office=$29m

So in 2 years none of his movies have been big money losers if losers at all and clearly outside Drive Angry as the lone loser it can be said were some degree of success for the studio involved.

**movies Bad Lieutenant(100 theaters) and Trespass(10 theaters) were limited release films.

Quote:
Third, it's getting almost no buzz. Saw a few TV spots. But yeah.
The buzz for this film aka advertising isn't really going to start for about another 2-3 weeks. This statment proves nothing.

Quote:
Fourth, it's gotten horrible reviews. That's going to kill it.
How did bad reviews hinder crap film The Devil Inside? Oh, right they didn't? How about the sheer crap reviews for the last two Transformer films? Right, it didn't. What about the Resident Evil films? I can list others, the point is the audience for this films does not care what the NYTimes or USA Today reviewer think of the film.

Quote:
And finally, even if the people did their research, these guys have only 3 directed films behind them. One that people enjoyed. One that people didn't care for. And one that was too weird for them.
Joe Public isn't nor would they care. If cool stuff goes boom and the action is intense then they are sold.

Quote:
This movie is going to tank hard. Unless it's actually a fine film..I can't see this making that much. .
Way to leave yourself an out after all that moaning.

And for the poster who said using Underworld 4 as a barometer I concur that using that is a fine example. The audiences should be very similar...I speak as part of that audience. I'm seeing both.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Snikt
Side-Kick

I saw Season of the Witch in theaters and figured it would bomb. I somewhat enjoyed it.

I checked back on it a few months later and saw it more than doubled back it's budget (as stated $40 million budget, $91 million grossed WW).

So I agree, Cage isn't exactly the worst actor working today, nor does everyone despise him. I still enjoy his work. It's a shame because often his best movies don't gross as much, so people accuse him of selling out when he does movies like National Treasure, Ghost Rider or Con Air.

It irks me a little bit.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator

I have a soft spot for ole Nick. I grew up with a lot of his early films so sue me.

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #31
CelticPredator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post
Worst Films ever made=hyperbole
Most people hated it=some people hated it

I don't pretend it's an Oscar winner but you clearly aren't watching enough movies across broad range of genres to say One Of The Worst Films ever. Hell, it's not even in the top 10 of worst Comic Films made. I equally hear comments echoing this that at worst it was an average film.
It's one of the worst. Easily. No question about it. The pain I felt while watching that movie was immense.

=
Quote:
Box Office Poison-lets bring some numbers/facts into this drivel he's spewing. For wide release films.

So in 2 years none of his movies have been big money losers if losers at all and clearly outside Drive Angry as the lone loser it can be said were some degree of success for the studio involved.

**movies Bad Lieutenant(100 theaters) and Trespass(10 theaters) were limited release films.

No it's not. Most people really do hate Nicolas Cage. You'll find a ton of hate on the guy. He's perhaps one of the most hated actor in Hollywood right now. None of those movies you mentioned aside from Kick Ass made any money in the US. WW yes.

Go talk to your buddies about the dude. Ask "Hey, do you like Nicolas Cage?"

Unless they know of his lesser works, they will probably respond with "No."

Quote:
The buzz for this film aka advertising isn't really going to start for about another 2-3 weeks. This statment proves nothing.
Sequel to a movie that's disliked by almost everyone. We'll see.

Quote:
How did bad reviews hinder crap film The Devil Inside? Oh, right they didn't? How about the sheer crap reviews for the last two Transformer films? Right, it didn't. What about the Resident Evil films? I can list others, the point is the audience for this films does not care what the NYTimes or USA Today reviewer think of the film.
It's not even the critics reviews i'm talking about. WORD OF MOUTH. Word of mouth will kill that lame Exorcist movie, just like it killed every other lame Handy cam movie. (except for Cloverfield)

Quote:

Joe Public isn't nor would they care. If cool stuff goes boom and the action is intense then they are sold.
Sometimes. Sometimes.

Quote:
And for the poster who said using Underworld 4 as a barometer I concur that using that is a fine example. The audiences should be very similar...I speak as part of that audience. I'm seeing both.
People like Underworld, for the same reason they like those Resident Evil movies. I don't like either.

But then again Nicolas Cage isn't in this movie. So, that helps it.

I think you have no idea about the hate Nicolas Cage gets.

Fun story, I went as Nicolas Cage for Halloween one year, all I did was print out a picture of his face, and wear it as a mask. Everyone told me I should die, and stop making movies.

Obviously you weren't there. But still.

You're responding to me as if i'm bashing the movie. I'm not. I'm just saying it doesn't have much going for it in the box office department.

Last edited by CelticPredator; 01-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #32
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Drive Angry rocked.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #33
NDX
Walking with Elias.

No it didn't. It was mediocre at best. I almost regret spending $3 on it. Could have bought, like, Black Hawk Down or something.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #34
CelticPredator
Banned User

^ No. It rocked. Probably the most underrated film of 2011.

If you didn't like it, you didn't get it. It's that simple.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #35
NDX
Walking with Elias.

HAHA- no.

NDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #36
CelticPredator
Banned User

Yes. See, if you did get it, and got what it was supposed to be, you would've loved it.

But you thought it was something else. And therefor...didn't.

Underrated movie of 2011 easily.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #37
jacobed
Banned User

I understood exactly what Drive Angry was suppose to be and I still thought it was a very meh experience at best.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #38
Microchip
Gettin my applesauce back

Quote:
Remember that studios only receive a bit over half (usually thought to be 55% to 60%) of the domestic box office. For European it's about 40% apparently (SOURCE) and of course, films don't count their advertising into production budget.

I don't know what kind of movie they'll make, and I'll likely go see it, but it's not going to turn a profit with a budget of $75 million.

Microchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #39
Snikt
Side-Kick

True, but Nevaldine/Taylor have said the reports on the budget have been greatly exagerrated. They've said it's more in line with Gamer, $50 million budget.

No I can't provide a link, but it was on some podcast where Brian Taylor was the guest star.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #40
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microchip View Post
Remember that studios only receive a bit over half (usually thought to be 55% to 60%) of the domestic box office. For European it's about 40% apparently (SOURCE) and of course, films don't count their advertising into production budget.

I don't know what kind of movie they'll make, and I'll likely go see it, but it's not going to turn a profit with a budget of $75 million.
It's more like 50 million.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=542683

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #41
Microchip

If the directors said it was 50 million, than it probably is. I was just going off the listed budget on sites such as wikipedia.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #42
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
If the directors said it was 50 million, than it probably is. I was just going off the listed budget on sites such as wikipedia.
Yeah wikipedia seems to keep switching it between 50 million and 75 million for some reason.

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #43
henry_9305
Side-Kick

The French poster was awful.

henry_9305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
K'Prime
Beast mode

mostly likely gonna see it as the kick off to 2k12 comic book movies.not expecting much from it so hopefully i'll be surprised

K'Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
Microchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Prime View Post
mostly likely gonna see it as the kick off to 2k12 comic book movies.not expecting much from it so hopefully i'll be surprised
I think it's alright. Nicolas Cage is huge, but I think it looks nice, very oldschool. In case people haven't seen it, here's a link.
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/600...itofvengep.jpg

Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #46
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_9305 View Post
The French poster was awful.
It looks "ok" to me, I wouldn't call it awful.

MCU Thor Respect Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #47
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah I'm familiar. Point is these aren't or weren't "poisoned" due to Cage and big losers as per the charge being tossed at Cage.

It's all going to be murky cause studios aren't going to tell us their P&A.
Best to just stop at the point the article says,"Rule of thumb most of the time is 2x production budget."
So even films like Sorcerer's Apprentice will raise itself into the black with DVD sales, cable rights etc.

I don't trust Wiki on stuff like this until it's been published somewhere more reliable like Box Office Mojo. I just want a fun movie, another GR movie is already icing. We can fret over a third later.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #48
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah I'm familiar. Point is these aren't or weren't "poisoned" due to Cage and big losers as per the charge being tossed at Cage.

It's all going to be murky cause studios aren't going to tell us their P&A.
Best to just stop at the point the article says,"Rule of thumb most of the time is 2x production budget."
So even films like Sorcerer's Apprentice will raise itself into the black with DVD sales, cable rights etc.

I don't trust Wiki on stuff like this until it's been published somewhere more reliable like Box Office Mojo. I just want a fun movie, another GR movie is already icing. We can fret over a third later.
That's what I do as well. I'll check out Box Office Mojo, The Numbers, then Wiki to see if they match up. Sometimes they do conflict.

For example, Box Office Mojo says X3's budget was $210 million, while The numbers says it was $150 million.

While we're on the subject of budgets; it's beyond me why the first GI Joe had a budget of $175 million. Seems to me you could make a GI Joe film for $100 million.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #49
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
While we're on the subject of budgets; it's beyond me why the first GI Joe had a budget of $175 million. Seems to me you could make a GI Joe film for $100 million.
I agree

MCU Thor Respect Thread
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #50
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I agree
I mean come on, they can make real life CGI dinosaurs and puppet dinosaurs for $93 million (JP III), I'm sure they could manage a decent GI Joe flick.

And again, look at GR 2, on a $50 million budget, so far, the effects look pretty damn good. Especially the "moutain cutter" or whatever it is that GR uses in the trailer