The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Game of Thrones

Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #451
Finarfiniel
#HeistWives

Default Re: Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Ranger View Post
So I binge watched the whole show in about a week - for the first time! I never was into fantasy type of movies or shows, I never watched LotR for instance. And I also never liked medieval times in particular or storys set in that age for that matter.
Wow, a week?? I also recently finished watching seasons 1-7 through for the first time ever, but it took me at least 3 weeks so you beat me. I'm the opposite to you though, I'm a total fantasy nerd so it's really weird that it's taken me so damn long to get into the show. I'm also in the same boat as everyone else now too, the tedious endless wait for season 8... I plan to watch the show through slowly for a second time (taking my time rather than the breakneck speed I watched it the first time) to help fill the wait.

I urge you to give the LotR movies a try, I think you'll definitely enjoy them if you liked GoT. Granted LotR is not nearly as visceral, violent and gritty as GoT, but the incredible world building, sets, costumes, effects, scenery, battle scenes, scope, e.t.c, are all more than comparable. LotR is the grand-daddy of modern epic fantasy, it's where it all began. The Westeros tourist board recommends Middle-earth for your next fantasy adventure.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Finarfiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #452
MaceB
Side-Kick

Default Re: Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Ranger View Post
It took me a while to really get into the show. I guess it got me from S1E09 onwards. And I started to really understand all the connections and relations only by the end of season 3

It's hard for me to call this my biggest gripe with the show (since it was done on purpose, and I kind of feel like seasons 1-3 were loading the shotgun to fire big in the Season 3 finale) but it does make it hard to share the show with friends.
I was trying to watch GOT from the start with my Dad... and those first 2 seasons consist of a lot of dialogue about characters we don't even really know yet. I had to keep convincing him, "just stick with it... it comes together." Ultimately, I wasn't successful.

I've never seen a show or movie that relies so heavily on exposition, but then weaponizes it so perfectly. GOT makes you earn it... you've got to sit there, and pay attention for a bit, and then you get the reward.

When my gf forced me to watch it... I was one step out the door... until the Red Wedding happened, and then of course.. you can't peel your eyes away even if you want to.

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #453
Iceman
Infinity War!

I thought there were big hooks in season 1. The Red Wedding is far from one of my favourite parts of the show.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #454
MaceB
Side-Kick

Every season is cool, but in those first two seasons, it can be hard to follow. You don't know each individual and their names and their relatives yet. The familial connections are hard to keep up with, and the familial connections are so important in GOT. It's like a puzzle that gets filled in with time. It's always fun to watch and to do... but nothing beats the first glimpses of that image coming together. "Oh this is what it's supposed to be!"

I'm not sure if the Red Wedding is my favorite scene... but it certainly took me by surprise and I never quite saw anything like it. Once you get to that scene, you're invested... you aint going anywhere.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #455
Ruth Fisher
Goddess Famke Janssen

Aww looking at old pics. Will miss this cast :'( Can i just say, i REALLY miss cersei's old hair too. She had the most amazing hair out of all the cast. Look at sone pics, it was GOURGEOUS! It was like a work of art all the time. Wish she would have let it grow again

Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #456
Reek
_________

Well... she wore a wig... so...

Last edited by Reek; 05-24-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Reek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #457
Ruth Fisher
Goddess Famke Janssen

Yes it was a beautiful wig.

To me the characters with the best hair are...
1. Cersei
2. Daenerys
3. Jon snow
4. Jamie when he had long hair

Old 05-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #458
Reek
_________

so you wish she would have let her wig grow again?

Old 05-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #459
Ruth Fisher
Goddess Famke Janssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
so you wish she would have let her wig grow again?
No i wish the character would grow her hair so then they could put the old wig back on lena heady

Old 05-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #460
Iceman
Infinity War!

She did look better with long hair.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #461
MaceB
Side-Kick

She had great long hair, but I feel like the short hair shows kind of an emotional progression. She's not the little girl trying to attract the King like she once was. Now, she's her own person, and she demands respect the same way any man would. And so I guess the short hair helps fit that mold IMO.

#NotTryingToBeSexist

Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #462
Finarfiniel
#HeistWives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
She had great long hair, but I feel like the short hair shows kind of an emotional progression. She's not the little girl trying to attract the King like she once was. Now, she's her own person, and she demands respect the same way any man would. And so I guess the short hair helps fit that mold IMO.

#NotTryingToBeSexist
I agree, the evolution of Cersei's look (not just her hair but also the way she dresses) fits perfectly with the evolution of the character.

It's all moot anyway, because Melisandre clearly has the best hair. Cersei was just trying to copy Galadriel.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Finarfiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #463
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

https://deadline.com/2018/06/game-of...er-1202406524/

Quote:
As production is wrapping on the final installment of mega hit Game Of Thrones, HBO has given a pilot green light to a GOT prequel series project from hot feature writer Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, Kingsman) and author/GOT co-executive producer George R.R. Martin.

Created by Goldman & Martin and written by Goldman based on a story by her and Martin, the untitled project takes the prequel concept to a new level as it is set thousands of years before the events of Game Of Thrones. The series is described as chronicling “the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

Goldman will serve as showrunner and will executive produce alongside Martin as well as fellow GOT co-executive producer Vince Gerardis and Damages and Bloodline co-creator/exec producer Daniel Zelman. As previously announced, GOT creators/exec producers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have no involvement in the potential offshoots.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #464
Marvolo
Side-Kick

The Long Night!!!

Hopefully HBO likes the pilot and orders it to series.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #465
David H.
Side-Kick

Huh. I was expecting Aegon’s conquest/the dance of dragons but I guess a full blown horror-fantasy series is something to get excited about.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #466
Marvolo
Side-Kick

This will probably be much more fantastical. This is set at least 2,000 years before Andals invaded Westeros so the Children will still be in Westeros and the Old Gods will still be prominent. We also might get to see the Wall being built. That would be the logical ending for a series about the end of the Age of Heroes and the Long Night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
Huh. I was expecting Aegon’s conquest/the dance of dragons but I guess a full blown horror-fantasy series is something to get excited about.
Martin's telling the story of the Targs in his new Blood and Fire books so he probably didnt want to repeat that story in the spinoff show.

Last edited by Marvolo; 06-08-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #467
OtherwiseKnownAs
Master of the Mystic Arts

Completely up for this! This is how you do a prequel series. Set in a time and place that the lore has barely touched upon, and where it’s far removed from the series proper.

Last edited by OtherwiseKnownAs; 06-08-2018 at 06:54 PM.
OtherwiseKnownAs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #468
MaceB
Side-Kick

Hmm, wow. I have to admit that I have a very dismissive view of prequels generally. In the hands of wrong people, it can be hard to keep the stakes high in a prequel IMO.

That being said, this being set thousands of years earlier helps, and since White Walkers haven't really been explained at all... a Long Night series feels pretty freaking welcome at this point! The fact that Martin is playing a role in the overall story is also really essential, so I'm happy about that.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #469
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Speaking of sequels, could they take some of the characters who survive and make spin offs?

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #470
Reek
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Fisher View Post
No i wish the character would grow her hair so then they could put the old wig back on lena heady
ah yes completely disregard a major plot point of her being shamed... great idea, Ruth!

and her character IS growing it back... just not at the speed of a Fable 3 haircut... I swear you are on something every time you post.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #471
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Do we know whether GOT will be at Comicon?

Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #472
green
fear is the mind killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Do we know whether GOT will be at Comicon?
They wont.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ic-con-1120181
Quote:
'Game of Thrones,' 'Westworld' to Skip San Diego Comic-Con

Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #473
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

https://deadline.com/2018/07/george-...er-1202423801/

Quote:
The pilot for George R.R. Martin’s recently greenlit Game of Thrones prequel is set to start filming in Belfast in October.

The fantasy drama spin-off, which Martin said has a working title of The Long Night, is reportedly set to film at The Paint Hall in Belfast’s Titanic Quarters. The studio has been used to film the main Game of Thrones series and is also home to the Superman TV prequel Krypton and set to house a Star Wars spin-off next year.

The move, which was first reported by local newspaper the Belfast Telegraph, will be another major boon for the region, which has had strong links with the HBO drama since it began.

Created by feature writer Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass, Kingsman) & Martin and written by Goldman, based on a story by her and Martin, the pilot, which was greenlit in June, is set thousands of years before the events of Game Of Thrones. The series is described as chronicling “the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

Writing in a blog post in June, Martin added, “None of the characters or actors from Game of Thrones will appear in the new show. All of the successor shows we’ve been developing have been prequels, as I have mentioned before. This one really puts the pre in prequel, since it is set not ninety years before Game of Thrones (like Dunk & Egg), or a few hundred years, but rather ten thousand years (well, assuming the oral histories of the First Men are accurate, but there are maesters at the Citadel who insist it has only been half that long). We’re very early in the process, of course, with the pilot order just in.”

Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #474
blackdragon6
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I thought there were big hooks in season 1.
I did too, i'm shocked it took almost 3 WHOLE season for people to get connected to the show. I was puled in as early as the first season, what sold me was when i saw Dany getting her dragons at the end of season 1. And Sam encountering the undead hoard in season 2. And even before then their was Black Water.

I think HBO should have but down some extra money to show the actual battle at The Fist of The First Men to help casuals stay engaged for what's to come. Instead they jut sho the grim march back to Caster's keep. Interestingly enough i think Hardhome saved season 5 for a lot of people.

blackdragon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #475
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

Game of Thrones Season 7 Scores 22 Emmy Nominations, Leads All Noms!