The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 04-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #26
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Re: FX turning Y: The Last Man to Series

Gosh they couldn’t have chosen worse timing though. Half the people will say it portrays women as hysterical and the other half will say it’s a personal attack on trump.

Still I too am keen on casting

Old 04-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

What makes you think it'll have people say stuff like that?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #28
Sawyer
High King

People who'll see it as a knock on Trump A.) see everything as a knock on Trump, and B.) Trump deserves infinite knocks, so **** 'em.

The women being hysterical thing, I don't quite see. I think there's a good variety of roles here.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #29
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Yeah, this comic started back in 2002 and nothing really outright connects to either political party or President. At least, not in a significant way.

And as you said, there's a variety of roles. Much like any other post-apocalyptic type of story.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 04-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #30
David H.
Side-Kick

“It’s anti-men, cause there’s only one man.”

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #31
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
What makes you think it'll have people say stuff like that?
Its 2018. Different world to when it was published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Yeah, this comic started back in 2002 and nothing really outright connects to either political party or President. At least, not in a significant way.

And as you said, there's a variety of roles. Much like any other post-apocalyptic type of story.
People won’t know the comic though, they’ll only know the tv series. I hope you’re right and people give it a fair go because it really is a great story

Old 04-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #32
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Its 2018. Different world to when it was published.

People won’t know the comic though, they’ll only know the tv series. I hope you’re right and people give it a fair go because it really is a great story
Sure, but that still doesn't help me see your reasoning.

It's always the case with these comic-based films and TV shows. Initial fans are always smaller in number. But, I still don't see how anyone could come to the conclusion of women being hysterical or anything about Trump based on this story. Now, if the writers make changes that can somehow cause that, I guess it could happen for some viewers.

"

Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #33
Silvermoth
Avenger

Well put it like this in the context of the women’s march.

People who are anti women’s march will say the show is just a sci fi version of that and anti trump and people who are pro women’s march will say it’s against women’s self determination and it will blow up on Twitter for a bit even though the comic came out ages ago.

But I hope that is not the case and the majority of people just see it on its own merits and not through their political lens and loose their minds. Or even if they do see it through a political means I hope they see it as a show with tons of cool and varied women characters and are inspired by that and not threatened by it

Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #34
Doctor Jones
No One

I remember reading the comic years ago and seeing that image of all the women at the Washington Monument. That's been forever burned in my brain and given the timing it will seem pretty apt. This comic no matter the time it would have been made would have been relevant in some way or another.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #35
David H.
Side-Kick

Quote:

People who are anti women’s march will say the show is just a sci fi version of that and anti trump and people who are pro women’s march will say it’s against women’s self determination and it will blow up on Twitter for a bit even though the comic came out ages ago.

But I hope that is not the case and the majority of people just see it on its own merits and not through their political lens and loose their minds. Or even if they do see it through a political means I hope they see it as a show with tons of cool and varied women characters and are inspired by that and not threatened by it
I mean, you’re guaranteed a 50/50 reaction. The loud ones will be loud. You got the same thing with The Handmaiden’s Tale. Just hope the show has quality.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #36
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:

Eh, I mean if whatever changes they make include things that are overtly about Trump in some way, maybe.

But, the story and the ramifications of what happened to almost all of the men of the world just makes me think the anti-Trump stuff won't be any larger than what we've seen in other media, that it'll be that big of deal (at least in comparison anyway). Also within the story since the male presidents weren't that important to the story outside of references here and there like Washington and Carter (I don't remember Bush even being mentioned but I'll finish reading it soon enough to see if there's more).

The social and political aspects were always in the story, so people are going to see it either way. Some have always felt the way some characters do in the comic. It's just more of coincidence when it comes to the timing of what's actually happening in the US, at least. So, that connection is going to be made, of course.

But yeah, like I said, I don't think it'll be viewed any more anti-Trump than any other media we've had and the women being hysterical stuff, I just don't see it since there's plenty of crazy people in these post-apocalyptic stories.

"

Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #37
James.B
In search of the absurd

‘Y: The Last Man’ Pilot Casts Diane Lane With Barry Keoghan Set as Yorick
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/y-t...mpression=true
Quote:
Diane Lane has signed on to star in the drama series pilot, which is simply titled “Y,” along with Barry Keoghan, Imogen Poots, Lashana Lynch, Juliana Canfield and Marin Ireland.

Based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, the project traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male mammal save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.

Keoghan will play Yorick Brown, the main character from the graphic novels on which the show is based. He is described as a young man quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Poots will play Hero Brown, Yorick’s sister. She is a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.

Lane will star as Senator Jennifer Brown, Yorick and Hero’s mother. A Junior Senator in her first term, Senator Brown has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics.

Lynch will play Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism, even under the most unexpected set of circumstances.

Canfield will play Beth. A Brooklyn-based knife maker, Beth grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they’re together, there’s the undeniable spark of two kids in love.

Finally, Ireland will play Nora, the President’s senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.

Michael Green and Aida Mashaka Croal are set to serve as co-showrunners on the project, and will executive produce alongside Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force. Vaughan will also executive produce. Melina Matsoukas will direct the pilot and also serve as an executive producer.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #38
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Wasn't expecting the whole cast to be announced at once, so that's cool.

Will have to see how those short character descriptions play out.

I don't remember the character of Nora.

"

Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #39
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Will have to give this comic another read through before the show starts. But glad that there seems to be some real traction finally.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #40
David H.
Side-Kick

Cool to see Keoghan get a leading role like this.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #41
Doctor Jones
No One

About ****ing time. I don't get why it's only gonna be called Y though? I don't mind it; it's kind of elegant but still.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #42
Sawyer
High King

Less attractive Tye Sheridan as Yorick, huh?

Interesting.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #43
Art Vandelay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
About ****ing time. I don't get why it's only gonna be called Y though? I don't mind it; it's kind of elegant but still.
Perhaps to avoid confusion with "The Last Man on Earth"?

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #44
Doctor Jones
No One

Actually, that could be a reason.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #45
Elayis
Side-Kick

Nice to see this is actually happening. Hope it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Less attractive Tye Sheridan as Yorick, huh?

Interesting.
Those were my thoughts exactly.

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:23 AM   #46
Silvermoth
Avenger

It’s...not exactly the cast I would have gone with.

Guess we will wait and see

Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #47
Doctor Jones
No One

You could get about three seasons worth of source material out of this. But I think they'll want to expand it. But unlike Walking Dead, this has an ending.

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 07-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #48
#root
Side-Kick

Ooh good cast. Hopefully, it's a good adaptation.

#root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:52 AM   #49
Silvermoth
Avenger

I just realised we’re going to see an ampersand bobble head now