The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #276
agentorange
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 270
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

I think A History Of Violence is the greatest non-superhero comic book movie ever

agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #277
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Catwoman is really not bad.. in fact I would say it is underrated.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #278
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 404
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I think A History Of Violence is the greatest non-superhero comic book movie ever
But that doesn't really mean anything.

It would be better to say it's one of the best gangster movies of the last decade.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #279
agentorange
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 270
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
But that doesn't really mean anything.

It would be better to say it's one of the best gangster movies of the last decade.
But its not, American Gangster is the best gangster movie of the last decade

agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #280
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick
 
StarkTheProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,235
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

I'd say The Incredible Hulk. Sure it's not perfect but as a Hulk film I found it really enjoyable and loved the escaping prisoner aspect.

__________________
I Believe in the MCU

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #281
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 404
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
But its not, American Gangster is the best gangster movie of the last decade
Read what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
It would be better to say it's one of the best gangster movies of the last decade.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:20 AM   #282
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 404
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Catwoman is really not bad.. in fact I would say it is underrated.
I've never heard anyone say that before.

What do you say in it's defense?

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #283
3dman27
super-hero wannabe
 
3dman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: in the middle of a superhero adventure
Posts: 40,432
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

it IS a different version of catwoman

__________________
to me superheroes are to americans what the myths of the greeks and romans are to them[deemar 325]
avatar by philly phanboy and drakon
3dman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #284
Alien Anal
Side-Kick
 
Alien Anal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

The Mask. That movie has a great feel to it. Its not too pg where it hurts and the casting of Jim Carey has gotta be one of the best Cbm castings. There are not enough comic book movies like it and good luck to who ever is in the inevitable reboot.

Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #285
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal View Post
The Mask. That movie has a great feel to it. Its not too pg where it hurts and the casting of Jim Carey has gotta be one of the best Cbm castings. There are not enough comic book movies like it and good luck to who ever is in the inevitable reboot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27 View Post
it IS a different version of catwoman
Exactly. It's not Catwoman from the DC comics. It's a supernatural superhero origin movie. With a unique french style by by French visual effects/writer/director Pitof. People don't understand this movie, they just want to jump on the hate train because it is trendy to do so, without properly considering the film's merits.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #286
Visualiza
Jimmy Scrambles
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 2,134
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal View Post
The Mask. That movie has a great feel to it. Its not too pg where it hurts and the casting of Jim Carey has gotta be one of the best Cbm castings. There are not enough comic book movies like it and good luck to who ever is in the inevitable reboot.
And there likely won't ever be another one remotely like it for the foreseeable future. Scott Pilgrim (maybe Kick-Ass as well) is probably the closest we'll ever come, and even that was a far cry from The Mask.

Expectations seem to tend towards grim melodrama and pathos for something like The Mask to fit in these days.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #287
Doctor Octopus
Banned User
 
Doctor Octopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,422
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
I've never heard anyone say that before.

What do you say in it's defense?
There is no defense for that movie. It was based on the DC comics character, they just changed her so much that she was Catwoman in name only.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #288
agentorange
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 270
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
Read what I said:
Its not tho I don't consider it a gangster movie, whats your definition of gangster movie cause mine is movies like The Godfather, Gangster Squad, American Gangster etc. Movies like A History Of Violence always get misconstrued as gangster movies but in reality they aren't, yeah he fought a lot of gangsters in the movie but every action film has gangsters/thugs in it. That doesn't make it a gangster movie


Last edited by agentorange; 06-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #289
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 404
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post


People don't understand this movie, they just want to jump on the hate train because it is trendy to do so, without properly considering the film's merits.
Which are...?

I'm not jumping on any 'hate train', I wanted to like the movie, gave it every chance and yes, I was one of the few people who paid to watch Catwoman in the cinema. And then again on DVD. Please convince me I didn't waste my time, because I'm pretty sure I did.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #290
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72,470
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27 View Post
bulletproof monk
I forgot this is a comic book movie

__________________
FIGHT CLUB: Marvel vs DC, ANYTHING
STATE YOUR OPINION ON A CHARACTER: MARVEL, DC

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #291
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,583
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Exactly. It's not Catwoman from the DC comics. It's a supernatural superhero origin movie. With a unique french style by by French visual effects/writer/director Pitof. People don't understand this movie, they just want to jump on the hate train because it is trendy to do so, without properly considering the film's merits.
Your right the end product wasn't DC's Catwoman, they missed the mark way too much to even put it in the same category. But it was very well intended to be based on it loosely. That's why they made it. It's coming from the comics, where all versions of Catwoman come from. Be it TV, DKR, Batman Returns or whatever. Those versions are all different but intended to come from the same source. The Director thought this was the same case. It wasn't. The porn parodies got the character more right.

Besides that, the film is a mess with some of the worst most laughable/cringe worthy scenes I've seen in probably any comic/superpowered/crime fighting flick.

Just cause you have a different opinion on the film itself doesn't mean people are following a trend and that's the issue. People very well hate it for good reasons on top of it being an insult to the character. Doesn't mean the cast or crew isn't talented in other ways or projects.


Last edited by def28; 06-17-2014 at 01:03 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #292
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,298
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Spider-Man 3

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #293
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 397
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Batman Begins: It may be a very well received CBM, but its impact on the film industry as a whole is criminally understated.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #294
Broseph44
Witness Me
 
Broseph44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island/Queens NY
Posts: 18,537
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Don't deserve the hate:

X-Men: The Last Stand
Batman and Robin
Howard the Duck
Supergirl
Tank Girl
Superman III
Superman IV
The Fantastic Four (1994)
Judge Dredd
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
To the bolded. I wanna know your reasons that B&R doesn't deserve the hate.

Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #295
Doctor Octopus
Banned User
 
Doctor Octopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,422
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
To the bolded. I wanna know your reasons that B&R doesn't deserve the hate.
So would I.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #296
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Why Batman and Robin doesn't deserve the hate:

-great cast
-wonderful visuals and special effects
-great comedy
-best Alfred performance by Michael Gough
-great comic book action
-homages to the comics
-homages to the Batman 1960s tv show
-it's entertaining/fun
-great score by Elliot Goldenthal
-wonderful performance by Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy
-same with Arnold as Mr Freeze
-Clooney is a likeable Bruce Wayne/Batman
-O'Donnell is still the best live action movie version of Robin
-Alicia Silverstone gave a good performance as Batgirl
-good drama/conflict between Batman and Robin (who is in his Nightwing costume - a possible Nightwing origin movie?)
-good balance between the serious drama scenes with Alfred and the more colourful scenes
-more focused on visual storytelling than dialogue
-BTAS origin for Mr Freeze
-Poison Ivy faithful to comics
-Bane origin faithful to comics (just not his personality)
-good plots for both villains.. Ivy being the manipulating villain, with Freeze the vengeful villain
-good origin for Batgirl (although it is different to the comics)

That's all I can think of right now.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #297
Batmannerism
Super-unknown
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Why Batman and Robin doesn't deserve the hate:

-great cast
-wonderful visuals and special effects
-great comedy
-best Alfred performance by Michael Gough
-great comic book action
-homages to the comics
-homages to the Batman 1960s tv show
-it's entertaining/fun
-great score by Elliot Goldenthal
-wonderful performance by Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy
-same with Arnold as Mr Freeze
-Clooney is a likeable Bruce Wayne/Batman
-O'Donnell is still the best live action movie version of Robin
-Alicia Silverstone gave a good performance as Batgirl
-good drama/conflict between Batman and Robin (who is in his Nightwing costume - a possible Nightwing origin movie?)
-good balance between the serious drama scenes with Alfred and the more colourful scenes
-more focused on visual storytelling than dialogue
-BTAS origin for Mr Freeze
-Poison Ivy faithful to comics
-Bane origin faithful to comics (just not his personality)
-good plots for both villains.. Ivy being the manipulating villain, with Freeze the vengeful villain
-good origin for Batgirl (although it is different to the comics)

That's all I can think of right now.
Dude, that's a fair call. If you see the film as an homage to the 60's show,
it's great fun.

But, if you see it as a marked departure from the great work Burton did in the first two Batman films, then it's probably vomit inducing.

Did you really like Clooney as Batman ? I thought he just phoned in that performance. I think if he'd been really good, it could have saved the film, but he was particularly lame, IMO.
If you thought he was okay, fair enough.


However, if you liked it that's cool, I don't knock anyone's personal taste.

cheers.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #298
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Dude, that's a fair call. If you see the film as an homage to the 60's show,
it's great fun.

But, if you see it as a marked departure from the great work Burton did in the first two Batman films, then it's probably vomit inducing.

Did you really like Clooney as Batman ? I thought he just phoned in that performance. I think if he'd been really good, it could have saved the film, but he was particularly lame, IMO.
If you thought he was okay, fair enough.


However, if you liked it that's cool, I don't knock anyone's personal taste.

cheers.
Thanks.

I consider the Schumacher movies separate to the Burton films, even though they are sequels. The Schumacher Batman movies are reboots in everything except for some continuity and casting choices. They are mostly reboots, though. They were not intended to be direct sequels to Burton's movies. They are a different beast altogether.

As for Clooney, he had the natural charisma that fit the role.. I don't know if that's exactly "phoning it in"... if that's the case, then most actors phone it in. He had the right qualities for Batman and Bruce Wayne.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #299
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 49,251
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Batman Begins: It may be a very well received CBM, but its impact on the film industry as a whole is criminally understated.
I agree. It's been an influence for so many movies. It basically kicked off the reboot craze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Dude, that's a fair call. If you see the film as an homage to the 60's show
It wasn't intended to be though. That's the funny thing. Schumacher says he was never trying to emulate the 60's TV show at all. He was just trying to lighten up the franchise. So we can't even look at it as a homage to TV show, not that it would make the movie any better even if that was what they were doing. The end result would still be the same.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 06-19-2014 at 09:27 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #300
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Underrated CB movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
It wasn't intended to be though. That's the funny thing. Schumacher says he was never trying to emulate the 60's TV show at all. He was just trying to lighten up the franchise.
In an interview with Batman-On-Film producer Michael Uslan said that Batman and Robin was primarily based on the sixties era Batman comics.
"The 1960s Batman - “Pow, Zap, and Wham.” Fortunately or unfortunately - fortunately for those who only know the 60s TV show - and unfortunately for you and me - BATMAN AND ROBIN was the Batman of the mid-60s."

http://www.batman-on-film.com/interview_muslan_4.html

(Michael Uslan is the producer of all the live-action Batman films, starting from Batman 1989, and including Batman V Superman - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0882388/)


Last edited by CountOrlok; 06-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.