The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #101
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: So which companies are doing the CGI/VFX?

Boiled.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #102
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

"I think the whole thing with Kryptonite is that it's an easy way out, but if you want to destroy Superman, you BREAK his heart"
-Hans Zimmer
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #103
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
Well could be but if so maybe that sequence is the most heavy one? as maybe the "cliffhanger".

Remember that this movie won't be as heavy VFX as MOS. cause they aren't kryptonians in this and there's a human with badass skills that doesn't require a lot of CGI but more of a fighting double and coreography as Snyder used in his previous movies.
You have to factor in that the other JL'rs are cameoing. I don't think we'll get any heavy VFX with WW or Aquaman. But will Victor Stone be Cyborg at the end? That will require a mix of prosthetics/CGI work.

BVS is going to be a VFX heavy film, just on Superman's rendering alone. I think we're underestimating the number of effects shots, just because Batman and Wonder Woman won't require as much work.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #104
matt47
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
You have to factor in that the other JL'rs are cameoing. I don't think we'll get any heavy VFX with WW or Aquaman. But will Victor Stone be Cyborg at the end? That will require a mix of prosthetics/CGI work.

BVS is going to be a VFX heavy film, just on Superman's rendering alone. I think we're underestimating the number of effects shots, just because Batman and Wonder Woman won't require as much work.
Yep. Just the fact that at CC Snyder said, "Everything's going great, the performances, sets, the SPECIAL EFFECTS". Pretty clear cut that this ain't gonna be the most practical film.

Plus, it's...Snyder you know.

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #105
ozne99
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official VFX companies on BvS: Dawn of Justice

Does anyone know who did the final fight scene? They should probably not use the same company.

ozne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #106
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
Yep. Just the fact that at CC Snyder said, "Everything's going great, the performances, sets, the SPECIAL EFFECTS". Pretty clear cut that this ain't gonna be the most practical film.

Plus, it's...Snyder you know.
Well there have been more location set photos from this movie than there was from Man of Steel.

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #107
Rowsdower!
Banned User

I'll never understand why people didn't care for the effects in MOS. I thought they were fantastic. All the opening shots of Krypton were stunning. The World Engine stuff and the battles of Krypton and Metropolis were fantastic. Superman's powers were finally on full display in a film; even the heat vision looked absolutely badass. If the worst Transformers movie can get a special effects Oscar nomination, then MOS getting snubbed will forever piss me off.

Superhero films in general don't really wow me with their special effects. None of the X-Men films have impressed me at all in this category. Cap and Thor didn't. Iron Man and The Avengers did a bit. The Dark Knight films did, but most of the effects there were used to create realistic looking action, rather than something fantastical. The only superhero films that really wowed me with effects were MOS and Guardians.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #108
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

^^ Don't worry.. I love them too and many people do too. Some just were used to man in cables floating or weren't used to see that kind of power (Yeah not other movie has shown that kind of power) and another thing is the effect they gave like a crater with the enviroment looking weird but some just don't get it... Anyways...

"I think the whole thing with Kryptonite is that it's an easy way out, but if you want to destroy Superman, you BREAK his heart"
-Hans Zimmer
Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #109
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

Quote:

Yep but not as heavy as MOS IMO, of course it depends if they introduce Atlantis, Themyscira but you have to admit that it won't be the same having 3 kryptonians as having one kryptonian, an amazon and a skilled human. I can see Cyborg be one of the heaviest of the leaguers on appeareance and yeah Superman will be the one that need the more CGI and effects on each ocassion he appears showing his powers.

-Hans Zimmer
Old 12-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #110
mclay18
Side-Kick

I'm disappointed WETA is working on just one big scene, but then again, it could be availability and budgeting that kept them from doing more. Because when James Cameron's Avatar sequels go into production, that's going to be much more labor intensive and demand more employees working on those alone.

But MPC, Double Negative and Scanline aren't slouches either. Their work ranges from excellent to pretty good. Not as good as ILM and WETA, but still.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #111
ozne99
Side-Kick

http://youtu.be/rWyTY6T_h90

For reference.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #112
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
I'm disappointed WETA is working on just one big scene, but then again, it could be availability and budgeting that kept them from doing more. Because when James Cameron's Avatar sequels go into production, that's going to be much more labor intensive and demand more employees working on those alone.
Yeah, me too. I wish WETA was doing majority of them.

And I still see no point in making Avatar sequels.
Artistically, I mean. I get the greedy, money-grabbing part.

"At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock."

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
KillerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #113
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I'll never understand why people didn't care for the effects in MOS. I thought they were fantastic. All the opening shots of Krypton were stunning. The World Engine stuff and the battles of Krypton and Metropolis were fantastic. Superman's powers were finally on full display in a film; even the heat vision looked absolutely badass. If the worst Transformers movie can get a special effects Oscar nomination, then MOS getting snubbed will forever piss me off.

Superhero films in general don't really wow me with their special effects. None of the X-Men films have impressed me at all in this category. Cap and Thor didn't. Iron Man and The Avengers did a bit. The Dark Knight films did, but most of the effects there were used to create realistic looking action, rather than something fantastical. The only superhero films that really wowed me with effects were MOS and Guardians.
For me, specifically the Smallville fight. The CGI in that scene was seamless IMO and the movements looked extremely realistic. Especially when Supes was being slammed up and down into the road pavement. Still wows me.

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #114
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

^^ One of the aspects groundbreaking IMO were the heat vision and the great air waves the kryptonians produced when they punched.. Kryptonian power FTW!
_____

Quote:

But MPC, Double Negative and Scanline aren't slouches either. Their work ranges from excellent to pretty good. Not as good as ILM and WETA, but still.
Then again it could be the biggest and the more CGI needed of all the movie, thing that I couldn't be happier about.

-Hans Zimmer
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #115
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Agreed. The punch that comes to mind is Superman to Zod in the streets of Metropolis.

Also, Zod's heat vision was boss. It'd be cool to see Superman unleash it like that.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #116
John-An
Wonder Fingers!

I liked the one with Supes punching and neither a %#$ing car move him it was like a bug to him. and also the one that sen Zod into a car.
But the punch between the two that cause a big wave gave me a nerdgasm...
And Supes shouldn't use the heat vision like that except for Doomsday or Darkseid

-Hans Zimmer

Last edited by John-An; 12-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #117
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
I liked the one with Supes punching and neither a %#$ing car move him it was like a bug to him. and also the one that sen Zod into a car.
But the punch between the two that cause a big wave gave me a nerdgasm...
And Supes shouldn't use the heat vision like that except for Doomsday or Darkseid
Yep, all those were cool and welcomed after years of thinking of how cool it would be! Bravo Snyder & co!

Would love to see unrelenting heat vision against those two!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #118
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWolf View Post
Yeah, me too. I wish WETA was doing majority of them.

And I still see no point in making Avatar sequels.
Artistically, I mean.
I get the greedy, money-grabbing part.
Yeah. In terms of his movies, Cameron's Titanic is more fondly remembered in the pop-culture zeitgeist. Avatar cleaned up domestically and worldwide, but it faded from memory quickly. Aside from the stunning CGI and 3D, I can't remember much else.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #119
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Cameron is apparently shooting Avatar sequels at 60 frames per second.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #120
herolee10
No More Miracles

Wait, I thought weta was going to do most of the effects for this film, especially since they're no longer tied down by the hobbit films? So they're just only going to do one sequence? That sucks.

What's also a crime is that we'll never get ILM to do effects for the dc films given on how they're tied down to marvel and star wars stuff.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #121
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Cameron is apparently shooting Avatar sequels at 60 frames per second.
He decided on 48. It was a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Wait, I thought weta was going to do most of the effects for this film, especially since they're no longer tied down by the hobbit films? So they're just only going to do one sequence? That sucks.

What's also a crime is that we'll never get ILM to do effects for the dc films given on how they're tied down to marvel and star wars stuff.
Yeah with all these tentpoles, ILM and WETA can only take so much. Unfortunately now it seems to be at its busiest, so DC have slim pickings as far as priority goes. I kinda hope they eventually just go in-house and create a new third powerhouse in the game.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #122
herolee10
No More Miracles

Considering how dodgey the graphics were for the metropolis stuff in mos, which weta was not responsible for, it doesn't exactly leave a good vote of confidence that this film will look great when it comes to the major cgi sequences.

Heck look at how much different the hulk looked in quality when you compare his appearance s in TIH and TA. Why can't dc films have ilm quality attached to it?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #123
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

IMO, the Avengers wasn't that much more impressive than MoS in FX. Maybe it's because most of your characters can't fly (or can but didn't) and practical effects were used. The scene that comes to mind that was equal to MoS and subpar shots was the long sequence where Cap does some kind of round house kick before deflecting IMs energy beam.

Both movies had great and dodgy effects IMO.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #124
herolee10
No More Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
IMO, the Avengers wasn't that much more impressive than MoS in FX. Maybe it's because most of your characters can't fly (or can but didn't) and practical effects were used. The scene that comes to mind that was equal to MoS and subpar shots was the long sequence where Cap does some kind of round house kick before deflecting IMs energy beam.

Both movies had great and dodgy effects IMO.
True, though the irony here, imho, is that while Whedon isn't exactly well known for being a Visual person, he has access to better materials whereas it's almost the opposite with snyder.

Personally, I would have loved it if mos had looed like gotg. The colors and great visuals; I doubt we'll ever see superman in a colorful film in the 21st century for a long time. Snyder and even Singer seem to love the idea of drowning out the colors in a superman film

Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #125
ozne99
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
True, though the irony here, imho, is that while Whedon isn't exactly well known for being a Visual person, he has access to better materials whereas it's almost the opposite with snyder.

Personally, I would have loved it if mos had looed like gotg. The colors and great visuals; I doubt we'll ever see superman in a colorful film in the 21st century for a long time. Snyder and even Singer seem to love the idea of drowning out the colors in a superman film
That would look awesome.