View Poll Results: Re-cast Hal?
Yes 128 58.45%
No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #451
combocaz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

I want reynolds back.

This time GL vs Sinestro

A good script will do wonders.

Joseph Kosinski to direct.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #452
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

The Wachowskis please!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #453
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
There is a difference of 41% in the tomato meter between Hulk (67%) and Lantern (26%), so while it is true ten critics make a minor difference, it was obviously far, far more than ten critics in this case. Out of 220 reviews counted, Incredible Hulk has 73 rotten reviews, out of 225 reviews, Green lantern has 166 rotten reviews. That is an alarming difference that exceeds whatever "makeup" time (only three years) brings about.
I think IMdb is a much better representation of the differences with GL at 5.8 and TIH at 6.9.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #454
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

I think TIH despite it's flaws is a far better movie than Green Lantern.

I have no problem watching TIH again and again where as I'd avoid a repeat viewing of GL like the plague.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 04-28-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #455
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

^That is subject to personal opinion. Both are bad movies but as people so charitably point out, GL more so than Hulk.

Personally, I think Hulk was a more forgettable movie. It didn't have the brainfarts of GL. BUT it didn't have any truly great moments either. That's why its a decent one time watch but I wouldn't really go back and watch it again.

GL is as irritating as it seems because it intersperses good scenes on Oa and his training with Sinestro with some epically bad scenes on Earth and the entire arc with the big brained guy. (LOL. Just realised even Hulk has a big brained guy)

So, I wouldn't put it past someone grabbing the DVD and catching the better scenes once in a while.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #456
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I'm not a gl fan but Reynolds struck me as pretty much playing ryan reynolds in GL. Was that actually a good representation of hal jordan?

Because i'm pretty sure that's how reynolds would have played any super-hero he was cast as essentially.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #457
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

I'd say that's more the director's and writer's fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I think TIH despite it's flaws is a far better movie than Green Lantern.

I have no problem watching TIH again and again where as I'd avoid a repeat viewing of GL like the plague.
Ditto. Seeing GL once was one time too many. TIH wasn't perfect, but it was good

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!

Last edited by brainchild81; 05-03-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #458
shauner111
Side-Kick

I don't have any desire to see Hulk, TIH or GL ever again. 1 viewing of each was enough for me. I have seen various scenes once again, from GL. But I don't think ive watched that movie through one single sitting. I never went to see it in the cinema cuz it looked horrible, yet I went to see TIH. Probably because I heard Ed Norton & Tim Roth were in it so I thought it could be cool. But it really did nothing for me.

I agree with Bruce Malone. Im pretty sure Reynolds would have played Flash the same way as well.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #459
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I don't have any desire to see Hulk, TIH or GL ever again. 1 viewing of each was enough for me. I have seen various scenes once again, from GL. But I don't think ive watched that movie through one single sitting. I never went to see it in the cinema cuz it looked horrible, yet I went to see TIH. Probably because I heard Ed Norton & Tim Roth were in it so I thought it could be cool. But it really did nothing for me.

I agree with Bruce Malone. Im pretty sure Reynolds would have played Flash the same way as well.
Same.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #460
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
or it could be wondy. she is a warrior princess ambassador/emissary after all.
She can also be pretty hotheaded. Stewart has more control over his ego than Wondy, Supes, Bats, Flash, or Hal.

Quote:
I like all three and have watched them numerous times. I'll take any of those over the old Superman movies any day.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #461
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

Quote:

So you dont want a GL space epic with Mark Strong playing Sinestro as the villain?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #462
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:

it is about direction reynolds can be reigned back go watch his stuff in buried,safe house,smoking aces,amityville horror,etc.

if the director & studio wants him to be funny because rdj is funny and it is successful thats what you are gonna get

hell even in ripd he doesn't come across as unbearably comedic he has a chip on his should but more grounded

Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #463
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
She can also be pretty hotheaded. Stewart has more control over his ego than Wondy, Supes, Bats, Flash, or Hal.

I like all three and have watched them numerous times. I'll take any of those over the old Superman movies any day.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #464
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

I think everyone wants that to happen. They are just put off by the probability that a lot more people in addition to Strong would probably return and they'd frick that up too!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #465
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Parker View Post
So you dont want a GL space epic with Mark Strong playing Sinestro as the villain?
I wouldn't mind that at all. Just make it clear that he's in a new universe and not just fighting a re-cast Green Lantern. Im sure they can find a way to pull it off. They did it with 'M' in the Bond movies and im sure theyre doing it with Jameson in the Spidey reboot. Why not do it with Sinestro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
it is about direction reynolds can be reigned back go watch his stuff in buried,safe house,smoking aces,amityville horror,etc.

if the director & studio wants him to be funny because rdj is funny and it is successful thats what you are gonna get

hell even in ripd he doesn't come across as unbearably comedic he has a chip on his should but more grounded
Oh I know he can, but it's still a comic book movie and im sure he would still pull off the Van Wilder stuff. I just have that feeling. Even in those movies there were many instances where it was serious then he would just slip into that comedy routine, and though it's funny, sometimes it doesn't fit.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #466
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

I do want Ryan Reynolds to come back as Green Lantern, but all signs are pointing to it being rebooted with a new actor....so in that case bring in Chris Pine lol, they HAVE to bring back Mark Strong as Sinestro since by far he was the best thing in the Green Lantern movie just is Sinestro, everything about his screams it lol.

Make Strong darker cause thats where he excels, his Sinestro was too......dare I say....goodie goodie.....but with an attitude lol

Due to a possible spoiler.....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Man Of Steel iMDB has Christina Wren listed as "Captain Carrie Farris", so Blake Lively could be gone as Carol, I know most of you are going "oh its iMDB, they are usually full of ****"....while normally I would agree, they have hit the nail in the head with most of what they have listed for Man Of Steel, they broke the news for Jenny Olsen, 2 additional Kryptonians and a few others, so this very much so has the potential to be true

I kinda want to see Michael Bay direct the next Green Lantern movie lol, some people love him, some hate him, I'm in the middle, but come on....The Transformers franchise has been good enough to dish out 4 decent films helmed by Bay (2 doesn't really count and 4 is way to early to tell), GL doesn't have 1 decent live action film while the last Transformers movie made $1.12 billion worldwide so right there proves he's worth a shot .....plus he's good with action (and explosions) which GL should be full of.....and take place 90% of in space which Bay is not afraid of exploring.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #467
shauner111
Side-Kick

They wont bring Lively or Reynolds back. That ship has sailed. Strong, sure but that's where it ends.

The transformers movies were not all decent haha. The first was. Michael Bay goes anywhere near these movies im not going to see them.

The only thing I find Bay good at, are when he does full-on comedy with a bit of a hip hop swagger. Bad Boys 1 & 2 and now Pain & Gain seems entertaining. When Bay puts out a movie that's mainly marketed as a comedy with action, that's where he excels. When it's all about making an action movie or even trying to get serious , it fails..and it's forced.

Bay would ruin GL even more. He can't do "serious"...and visually GL needs to be top notch but each of these characters have to have a good arc, serious moments, etc. Bay is NOT that guy.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #468
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

already said 2 didnt count lol, 3......like it or hate....again, it made over 1 billion at the box office, and thats where the studios care, they dont care if we the fans are happy, they want money and Bay "could" do that for Green Lantern :/ just a thought..

Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #469
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
They wont bring Lively or Reynolds back. That ship has sailed. Strong, sure but that's where it ends.

The transformers movies were not all decent haha. The first was. Michael Bay goes anywhere near these movies im not going to see them.

The only thing I find Bay good at, are when he does full-on comedy with a bit of a hip hop swagger. Bad Boys 1 & 2 and now Pain & Gain seems entertaining. When Bay puts out a movie that's mainly marketed as a comedy with action, that's where he excels. When it's all about making an action movie or even trying to get serious , it fails..and it's forced.

Bay would ruin GL even more. He can't do "serious"...and visually GL needs to be top notch but each of these characters have to have a good arc, serious moments, etc. Bay is NOT that guy.
I agree. I've never been a fan of Bay because I feel like too much story is left untold. I liked the cast of Green Lantern (even Lively), but the biggest issue that I take with it is the continuity. How does it fit into the MoS universe? I can forgive a bad movie if it produces good characters/story for future movies, which it almost does. The only issue to me is how 'first contacts' in both universes can exist. If they can, then I'd love to see a sequel with Strong vs Reynolds, leading to JL and/or the introduction of John Stewart.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #470
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCAW View Post
already said 2 didnt count lol, 3......like it or hate....again, it made over 1 billion at the box office, and thats where the studios care, they dont care if we the fans are happy, they want money and Bay "could" do that for Green Lantern :/ just a thought..
Yeah ur right when it comes to box-office but im sure Snyder could be the one producing all these projects with his wife. Im sure once he does JL and handles Batman and GL. Bringing Flash to the screen as well. They become his babies. I can't see him choosing Bay to direct one of them. They'll make a point in focusing on story and quality over quantity and explosions. That's not what this shared universe is going to be about.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #471
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Yeah ur right when it comes to box-office but im sure Snyder could be the one producing all these projects with his wife. Im sure once he does JL and handles Batman and GL. Bringing Flash to the screen as well. They become his babies. I can't see him choosing Bay to direct one of them. They'll make a point in focusing on story and quality over quantity and explosions. That's not what this shared universe is going to be about.
If that happens (PLEASE COMICS GOD LET IT BE TRUE!!) then yeah, screw Bay lol, but on the off chance that WB wants to make another GL movie that a stand alone like the last one...or even a stand alone trilogy thats entire purpose is just to entertain and not really focus on a larger universe (thats when they go and **** things up), then Bay should be among the top directors to pick cause he'd be able to bring in the $$.

Can you imagine it? A Green Lantern Bay movie where GL makes the most ridicules constructs (the comics giant boxing glove for example) as a way to fend off a properly done Hector Hammond, a Carol Ferris possessed by the Star Sapphire in the skimpiest costume imaginable with tons of sex jokes and what not.....might not be something I'd want connected to the Justice League franchise or anything but it would be fun as hell to see lol

Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #472
Rowsdower!
Banned User

I'm so torn on what to do with GL. I'm one of the few who actually liked the film; it was far from perfect but I also believe that most of the movie's flaws were the same flaws that you find in most other comic book movies. Why fans and casual moviegoers alike seem to ignore them in other films, I'll never know. But anyway, what's done is done and the general consensus is that the movie sucked. Fine.

But where do we go from here? It almost seems as if WB should steer clear of GL for a while altogether. I think the character has a ton of potential, but I also understand that for a lot of people, the GL movie was their introduction to the character. And if they hated him, then inserting GL in a JL movie or attempting a GL sequel or "requel" is also going to turn people off.

I think the best thing to do is let GL alone for now. If they want to do a JL movie, fine... but stick to Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and maybe Martian Manhunter or another character that hasn't been tainted in the public's eye. Maybe Green Arrow, since that Arrow series has been pretty well-received (I think). And then if all goes well, THEN reintroduce GL (Hal, John or Kyle) in a JL sequel.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #473
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Why not just cast Scott Porter (or someone similar) as Hal and be done with it?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #474
shauner111
Side-Kick

It was just corny as hell. It was too light and goofy. The villains were both embarrassing too. That was my problem with it. It should have been a movie in space, on Oa with Sinestro as the villain throughout.

Ive been thinking about that too Rowsdower, they may just want to hold off on Green Lantern until a sequel. I wouldn't mind it at all if they used the first JL to name drop Hal Jordan and have a cliffhanger at the end where this guy finds the ring in the desert somewhere. It gives people a break from him and they can focus on the other characters and don't have to cram their origins (or explanations of) all in the first movie.

A good cliffhanger to the sequel too. Since they may use Darkseid right off the bat, you can count him out as the sequels post-credit scene cliffhanger. That would be too much like Thanos anyway. And I don't think hyping Aquaman will get everyone excited, audiences need to be won over by him in action first. So Green Lantern hyped for the sequel adds something different rather than the typical "Let's foreshadow the villain" and is a known character enough where ur like OH theyre doing a new version of GL!

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash with Martian Manhunter as a side character who reveals his true nature in Act 3. The sequel has Green Lantern and perhaps Aquaman's introduction in the middle.

Last edited by shauner111; 04-30-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #475
dnno1
Side-Kick

If they dump on Reynolds they could go after some look alike. How about Dane Cook or Jason Lee?