The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #326
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - Part 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
There's nothing wrong with an origin story.

FYI many theorists have argued that there's actually not that many templates in literature overall.
With CBMs I think it is going to represent a large number of the films we get overall as every new character gets a first film so there's nothing wrong with an origin but there's a chance of things seeming repetitive if future creators aren't careful.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #327
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Oh right yes. I hope future origin films can do things slightly differently. Starting later like HC would be good although I guess they want to start at he beginning with many new characters.
I think GOTG is probably one of the freshest takes as an origin movie.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #328
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Suit View Post
Doctor Strange is Marvel's worst movie. They made tried to make him Tony Stark 2.0, but he's Benedict Cumberbatch and unlikable.
I thought they’d crossed that line after he snapped at Christine, but they were able to redeem his character by the end of the film.

Of all the problems I have with that movie, Cumberbatch/Strange isn’t one of them.

Do we know if the same creative team is returning for the sequel? Because I’d really rather they be replaced.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #329
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I think GOTG is probably one of the freshest takes as an origin movie.
I was VERY surprised by it. I really didn't think they'd be able to pull that one off. Deadpool too I guess. They both felt like something totally new.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #330
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
I thought they’d crossed that line after he snapped at Christine, but they were able to redeem his character by the end of the film.

Of all the problems I have with that movie, Cumberbatch/Strange isn’t one of them.

Do we know if the same creative team is returning for the sequel? Because I’d really rather they be replaced.
Cumberbatch is certainly not the issue. Really hope they go in hardcore on the magic and demons side now with the intro safely out of the way.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #331
Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Yep. Winter Soldier the **** out of the sequel.

Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #332
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Makes me more excited to see it since you share some of my sentiments on the MCU.

Sucks to hear the cinematography hasn't changed. I thought at least the coloring improved based on the trailers. Still, I feel 2017 taught me that heart is more important than technical details. I mean, obviously those are important too, but only to a certain point. I think after you have pretty good script and decent (believable) visuals, a film reaches a tipping point where heart and purpose carry it forward and make it memorable in the long run moreso than polishing minor issues with the script or perfecting the visuals. Winter Soldier and Civil War suffer from this in hindsight. So if everything you said about Black Panther is true, I feel I'll be able to forgive those other issues.
I mean the costume and set design is fabulous in this one. It looks great in terms of the world building. But yeah, it has the same relatively flat visual palate in how it is shot that most MCU movies do. I've long given up on that ever being challenged. Then again, so much else about Black Panther is refreshing and "off-brand" that maybe in a few years after the Infinity War saga, Marvel will be open to having some more ambitious visuals too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Anything about the supporting cast? The women especially?
Well, again Jordan is the highlight of the film. But otherwise I really liked the entire Wakandan guard, and Danai Gurira is especially good as the general. Her big moment in the third act is a real stand-up and cheer sequence. Lupita and Angela Bassett are fine, but I think social media is overhyping their roles. They're great actresses given serviceable parts they do well. However, Letitia Wright will likely be an audience favorite. She gets a lot of the crowd pleasing moments and is totally great in them.

Also, without giving anything away, Sterling K. Brown's brief role is very impactful and some of the best stuff in the movie.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #333
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep, I'm sure you're right on that.

Didn't expect Avengers and Guardians to be your choices but I'm glad they are.

And it's nice to be able to agree on something once in a while mate.
Heh, we agree on a few things! I also quite like Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming a lot.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #334
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Heh, we agree on a few things! I also quite like Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming a lot.
I like hearing your opinions even when we don't agree as there's usually something to them. But still more fun when we do agree.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #335
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Quote:
I liked Wong, Mordo and Ancient One as well as Strange. I wish we could have got a bit more from Kaecilius as there was a lot of potential there. Did he mention him a lot?
I don't remember. Oh wait, actually I do. He talked a lot about his own religious beliefs and how those influenced the themes of the movie. He intended Kaecilius to represent violent religious extremism. That didn't come across much in the finished movie, but you can see it more in the deleted scenes.

- - -

DACrowe has made me more excited for Black Panther than any other review.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #336
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

If it's like the Dark Knight or Logan I'll probably feel lukewarm about it on first view.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #337
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluAllu View Post
I don't remember. Oh wait, actually I do. He talked a lot about his own religious beliefs and how those influenced the themes of the movie. He intended Kaecilius to represent violent religious extremism. That didn't come across much in the finished movie, but you can see it more in the deleted scenes.

- - -

DACrowe has made me more excited for Black Panther than any other review.
It's a shame when some of the good stuff that would have improved the film is left on the cutting room floor. I think Kaecilius could have really been better with more material.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #338
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Had to share this, from the Panther boards.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #339
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
If it's like the Dark Knight or Logan I'll probably feel lukewarm about it on first view.
It's more like Captain America, Lion King, and Skyfall thrown in a blender than TDK or Logan.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #340
Iceman
Infinity War!

Ha, that's a pretty good description.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #341
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
It's more like Captain America, Lion King, and Skyfall thrown in a blender than TDK or Logan.
That sounds...wonderful.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #342
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Yeah it’s a pretty good film. Top 3 of the MCU by my reckoning.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #343
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
Sounds like an ideal mix.

Quote:
Had to share this, from the Panther boards.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Abra Kadabra is Ant-Man's friend.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #344
kguillou
Side-Kick

Very much looking forward to seeing Black Panther tomorrow. Its really heartwarming and cathartic to see a black superhero ( I, myself am African America) get this kind of huge hype and acclaim.

Although, I'm going to keep my expectations in check, I feel like EVERY Phase 3 Marvel film (besides maybe GoTG2) has been massively overhyped as either "the BEST Marvel movie yet" or the "the BEST CBM ever!!" I have zero doubt this is gonna be a good time at the movies but...just not gonna expect a life changing event like I'm hearing from everywhere else. lol

1) JUSTICE LEAGUE 2) John Wick 2 9/10 3) Logan 8.5/10 4) BladeRunner 2049 9/10 5) Wonder Woman 8/10 6) ALIEN: Covenant 7.5/10 7) WAR Of The Planet of The Apes 8.5/10 8) Ghost in The Shell 6/10 9) Kingsman: Golden Circle 9/10 10) Atomic Blonde 7/10
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #345
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Just personally, I really liked it...but it's not among what I would call the greatest of the genre. It might be in my top 10, but not a top 5 or top 3 kind of thing.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:47 AM   #346
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
So having now seen Black Panther, I can attest that it is among Marvel's very best movies and is the first one that is actually socially conscious and leaves you thinking about something after it's over. And that something is quite strong. Michael B. Jordan is easily the best MCU villain to date--yes far better than Loki--and the entire cast is top notch... but Jordan, he gives this movie a soul that feels real and textured, and entirely unlike an assembly line product.

The movie still has issues (despite amazing costumes and sets, the cinematography suffers from the general Marvel look, the CGI is fairly bad in the third act, and some of the action beats like a car chase in South Korea feel superfluous and added to make it "more fun").

But as a whole, if Marvel really starts committing to making movies with this kind of ambition, most of my complaints over the last few years will become mooted. This isn't just a popcorn film or a romp, or an advertisement for the next three MCU movies. It is a full serviced film with lots of weight and iconography that will stand on its own for a long time to come.
Glad to hear you liked it DACrowe, we share similar thoughts on the MCU as a whole and we mostly tend to agree on their movies, so hearing your thoughts makes me more excited to see it.

Although, we differed in opinion quite a bit on Homecoming, so my faith in you has wavered a bit .

1) Black Panther-8.5
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #347
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Mark Miller explains why DC films aren't working. Is he right or wrong?

Quote:
"Chatting with Yahoo, Millar says that he believes that DC superheroes themselves are simply uncinematic. Aside from Batman — who is a regular dude, with an tool belt and garage full of gadgets — almost every major character in the DC Comics canon is almost absurdly invulnerable, and who they are aren’t based around characters, but their abilities. At least according to Millar. Here’s what he had to say:

I think it’s really simple — the characters aren’t cinematic and I say this as a massive DC fan who much prefers their characters to Marvel’s. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are some of my favorites but I think these characters, with the exception of Batman, they aren’t based around their secret identity they are based around their super power. Whereas the Marvel characters tend to be based around the personality of Matt Murdock or Peter Parker or the individual X-Men, it’s all about the character. DC, outside of Batman, is not about the character.With Batman, you can understand him and you can worry about him but someone like Green Lantern, he has this ring that allows him to create 3D physical manifestations and green plasma with the thoughts in his head but he’s allergic to the colour yellow! How do you make a movie with that? In 1952 that made perfect sense but now the audience have no idea what that’s all about.

People will slam me for this but I think the evidence is there. We’ve seen great directors, great writers and great actors, tonnes of money thrown at them, but these films aren’t working. I think they are all too far away from when they were created. Something feels a little old about them, kids look at these characters and they don’t feel that cool. Even Superman, I love Superman, but he belongs to an America that doesn’t exist anymore. He represents 20th Century America and I think he peaked then."

Last edited by Tacit Ronin; 02-15-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #348
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

As someone who has read entry of Superman comics, I can't agree with him. Superman has different sides to his personality and is very likeable and noble, for a lot of people the movies have yet to express this. He has either been a boy scout or a bit darker and in some people's words 'mopey.'

I didn't mind the latter personally, and liked Snyder's interpretation as it reminded me of the darker Superman comics like For Tomorrow where he does some questionable things, and isn't all smiles and rainbows. I can see why other people didn't like it though.

I think the movies need to convey how interesting he can be, and not just present him as the ultimate boy scout or someone not happy enough. Show the multiple sides to him.

1) Black Panther-8.5
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #349
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Did he deny Superman & Superman II? Wonder Woman? I guess he doesn't like those movies, nor the current batch of CW shows.

YOUTUBE

Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #350
Samuron
Reprint

Quote:
Mark Miller explains why DC films aren't working. Is he right or wrong?
Quote:
I think it’s really simple — the characters aren’t cinematic and I say this as a massive DC fan who much prefers their characters to Marvel’s. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are some of my favorites but I think these characters, with the exception of Batman, they aren’t based around their secret identity they are based around their super power. Whereas the Marvel characters tend to be based around the personality of Matt Murdock or Peter Parker or the individual X-Men, it’s all about the character. DC, outside of Batman, is not about the character.With Batman, you can understand him and you can worry about him but someone like Green Lantern, he has this ring that allows him to create 3D physical manifestations and green plasma with the thoughts in his head but he’s allergic to the colour yellow! How do you make a movie with that?
That is almost exactly how I see it.