The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #51
Bim
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 4

I dunno, i think if we go by on last year, anything could happen lol. I mean who the heck would have thought Cilic and Nishikori would be in the finals? I didnt think anyone could stop Novak last year, but it happened. He's obviously the favorite though, and so is Roger.

Murray vs Kyrgios first round is a tough one, ouff. Let's hope Nick doesnt act stupid this time.

We also have a possible sisters faceoff, with Serena and Venus maybe playing against each other in the quarterfinals.

I love the US Open, especially the night matches. Cant wait

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #52
mr.roulette
Newbie First Class

I would say Dimitrov has good chance of winning.

mr.roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #53
raisethe3
Legion of Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
The U.S. Open draw came out today, and I think Nadal has a pretty clear path to Djokovic, but then again, Nadal is so iffy. But if there was ever an opening for a run this morning would be it.

I don't see much getting in the way of Djokovic, Federer, and 2013 WIMBLEDON GENTLEMEN'S CHAMPION Andy Murray. The guys below just aren't good enough. The lost generations.
Only way Nadal wins this tourney is if he finds that serve (aka 2010) or play in-form 2013 and flatten those forehand shots, then I say he has a shot winning it. Although he should be able to go past 2 rounds, but again, nothing is guarantee.

Last edited by raisethe3; 08-29-2015 at 11:22 PM.
raisethe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #54
regwec
Make Mine Marble

Nadal looks shot mentally, to me. He seems able to play only within his comfort zone, as exposed by Dustin Brown.

regwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #55
raisethe3
Legion of Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Nadal looks shot mentally, to me. He seems able to play only within his comfort zone, as exposed by Dustin Brown.
Kind of agree. Also, it appears that he's physically broken too as well. Those knees are about to give out. Sure, he doesn't slide and pound on those knees as much as he used to, but he's still doing it here and there. Just not insane like he did in his early years. He needs to fine tune game a bit more. Adjust that serve and get free points. Nothing last forever.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #56
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.roulette View Post
I would say Dimitrov has good chance of winning.
I was surprised to see him lose. I expected him to make it further than second round.

My god, what a lackluster and boring game that of Venus last night. If she keeps playing like that she's not gonna make it past Bencic next round.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p

Last edited by Bim; 09-03-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #57
Bim
Side-Kick

Looks like Venus heard me, and played a much better match against Bencic today, beating her in straight sets lol.

Other results so far today: Novak wins in straight sets also, Cilic was taken to five but prevailed, Tsonga won in straight sets, Paire beat Robredo. On the women's side Makarova, Miladenovic, Kontaveit and Vinci win.

At the moment Bouchard is playing Cibulkova, they're on the third set on serve, Raonic is one set down against López, Goffin leads Bautista Agut 2 sets to one, but is down a break in the fourth.

Still to come today, Serena vs Bethanie Mattek-Sands , Ferrer vs Chardy, Radwanska vs Madison Keys and Nadal vs Fognini.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:56 AM   #58
-VisionsVision-
Odyssey

Nadal is DONE!!

Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #59
Iceman
Infinity War!

Murray & Williams struggled a bit there.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #60
mr.roulette
Newbie First Class

Goodbye, Mr.Nadal.

mr.roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #61
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

This Troicki/Young match is painful to watch. Almost sure Troicki is throwing this one at times

Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #62
raisethe3
Legion of Boom

Nadal needs a new coach man. Especially if he wants to keep playing. Time to kick Toni to the curb.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #63
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I'm not sure. I'm hearing all this stuff about how Nadal needs to reinvent himself, but I'm not sure if that's possible, and they use Federer as an example for what Nadal needs to do that extend his time as a top player.

The problem there is that attacking tennis more suits Federer's standard baseliner game. He's a better server and a natural volleyer thanks to his one handed backhand. He came up in an era when you had to have some variety, and serve-and-volleyed the great Pete Sampras out of Wimbledon.

Nadal is a crafty server, and has very good hands at net. But a lot of that is because he employs it exclusively as a sneak attack. No one expects Nadal to come to net, so it's more effective the few times he does. Plus Federer had been undergoing this remodel since Annacone came on board in 2010. Edberg came along and ramped it up and added some wrinkles to the bland chip and charge that Annacone was preaching, but the process was already years in the making.

I'm not sure Nadal has time or the psyche to undergo any drastic changes to his playing style.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #64
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I know the rumors are stirring yet again about Serena Williams taking on John McEnroe in a Battle of the Sexes, it has popped up every now and then got about a decade now. I know it will never happen because the money will never be right and it's quite possibly become passé in today's protective PC environment.

But god can we get a sponsor and some guaranteed money for these two? While McEnroe is stay able to play without too much injury trouble. A decade ago would have been clearly lopsided, now McEnroe is even older and has been through a serious injury or two, so at least the field has leveled a bit for Serena Williams. McEnroe would still win but you could sell the match based on his age and Serena's dominance or whatever. Tell me people wouldn't watch this match?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #65
Bim
Side-Kick

The Nadal curse fell on Fognini lol. I agree with you Sakuraba, i dont think Nadal can change his game drastically at this point. I still think his issues have more to do with confidence than anything physical. I think physically he's looking better than he has in months; looks to me like he's lost some weight (that should help his knees), but the cost is he's lost some of his power. Can he adjust and get his confidence back? We'll see in 2016.

I must say, i'm surprised to see Lopez playing this well consistently. He's got his hands full with Novak tomorrow though.

Wawrinka defeated Young, Penetta won over Stosur, and Azarenka and Halep also won their matches today.

Murray is currently playing againt Anderson, and he's down a set and a break! Could we be seeing an upset, or can Murray come back and win?

Yet to come today Berdych vs Gasquet (after Murray's match), Kvitova vs Konda and then Federer vs Isner.

Tomorrow night is a good one: Williams vs Williams and then Novak vs López.

BTW anyone know how the Olympics next year affect (if at all) the tennis calendar? I was wondering about that yesterday...

Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #66
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

This has been an incredible 3rd set between Murray and Anderson

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #67
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Bim, yeah confidence is always nadal's issue.

I think he made a pretty spot-on deduction of his situation, when he said he isn't confident really cutting through the ball. So he's not generating topspin, so he's leaving balls short and hitting them long. I'm not ready to shovel the dirt on Nadal yet lol

Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #68
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

This match is kicking all sorts of ass. Ultra competitive, dips in momentum, Anderson's big serving and net rushing, versus Murray's ballsy serving and scrambling baseliner's best trying to come up with the passes.

Goooood stuff

Old 09-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #69
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Anderson just blew Murray off the court in that 4th set breaker. His first Slam QF. Good comeback by Murray though.

Big hold from Isner, saving three BPs. Federer is flying around the court

Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #70
Iceman
Infinity War!

Is Murray out or he came back to win?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #71
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Murray is done. He got buzz sawed 7-0 in the last tie-break

Old 09-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #72
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Looking at John Isner, I mean this is kind of the same guy I saw play Federer her EIGHT years ago. How do you make tennis your whole life and then throughout your prime years you don't get any better?

I think that's ultimately the difference between the men that win on Tour and the men who don't win. Some guys are able to make themselves better by refining and addingnew components to their skill set. Pretty well every Slam winner since Gaston Godawfulio has managed to improve themselves.

Then there are guys like Isner who stay the same, and yet there are the Dimitrov's, Tomic's, Doglopolov's, and the like that regress as players

Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #73
Bim
Side-Kick

Ouff, awesome by Anderson. He played a heck of a match.

Isner is, to me, such a letdown. The guy has this huge weapon, but he just stays the same, like you said Sakuraba. He cant get it done with just a huge serve. There's many men with so much potential, and yet they dont break through. They can win in one grandslam tournament, and then the rest of the time they just go away. That's why i have such respect for Federer, Nadal and even Novak now. The way those guys have dominated the last decade or so makes them quite unique. I for sure appreciate what they've done for the sport.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #74
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I was wondering how they would script their match tonight. Serena wins the first set going away, Venus wins the second going away. Now we just have to see how Serena wins the 3rd. Will she dominant or will they make it seem close, like 7-5 or something

Old 09-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #75
Blind_Lawyer
Full Blown Murdock

Catching up on the US Open by reading about it (I know, it's not even close to the same, but until Netflix does sports...) and have to say I don't think I've ever come across an article about either of the Williams sisters that isn't full of hateful racist comments.

Bummer about Andy Murray too. I've always liked him.

Everyone has their favorite corner of their favorite universe. And that is mine...
Blind_Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote