The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #301
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread - Part 1

Yeah, Sarah Lancaster should, and then also Yvonne Strahovski as Ms Marvel.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #302
deadmannuk12
Side-Kick

At this point Rather than Batista or Momoa I would say yes to Terry Crews. But now I'm thinking Drax can just be an Unknown with all three qualities.

Batistas look
Momoas action
Crews acting

There has to be someone unknown who can do all 3. Hollywood is filled with hungry Unknowns. Marvel needs to look harder

And NO VIN DISEL... Drax cant be shorter than Starlord

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #303
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Vin Diesel and The Rock are simply NOT going to be in any movie that doesn't cast them as the lead; and even if Marvel complied and turned Guardians into "Drax 'n' Friends," their asking price would be way too high for Feige's tastes.

Someone in another thread suggested Jon Bernthal (Shane from Walking Dead) for Drax: I could see that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #304
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Vin Diesel and The Rock are simply NOT going to be in any movie that doesn't cast them as the lead; and even if Marvel complied and turned Guardians into "Drax 'n' Friends," their asking price would be way too high for Feige's tastes.

Someone in another thread suggested Jon Bernthal (Shane from Walking Dead) for Drax: I could see that.
I agree with the parts about Vin Diesel and The Rock, neither one are going to be in this movie as Drax. If Marvel gets either one it will be for a title role. I could see Terry Crews doing a fine job but I really want him as Luke Cage, I think he fits that role pretty nicely. How about Boris Kodjoe as Drax? He is taller than Pratt by a couple of inches.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #305
onyxrose81
Side-Kick

This is going to be the most riskiest movie of all so they simply won't hire a big name, imo. They cost too much, unless they're willing to come down. Frankly, all the big names being bandied about for Drax are not the best actors. I'd rather they go with someone less established.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #306
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

The Rock played in Get Smart where he wasn't the lead, but the villain. Of course, he only turned out to be the villain at the end, but for the early part of the film he just seemed like a more typical secret agent, albeit in a supporting role.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #307
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Didn't The Rock leap off a building to his death in the first ten minutes of The Other Guys ? Sam Jackson too...

A great film.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #308
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Rock played in Get Smart where he wasn't the lead, but the villain. Of course, he only turned out to be the villain at the end, but for the early part of the film he just seemed like a more typical secret agent, albeit in a supporting role.
Get Smart was pretty early in The Rock's acting career though. Since that time he has done a lot of stuff, specifically Fast Five which substantially raised his profile. For action films, he is firmly headlining material right now.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #309
Chewy
REDACTED

You mean Fast Five, in which he did not star, but costarred as part of an ensemble?

I don't get this notion that taking second billing in a big budget big studio franchise pic is beneath some of these guys. Isn't that exactly what Rock's doing in the new Michael Bay movie, and the Fast and Furious movies, and the GI Joe sequel?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #310
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
You mean Fast Five, in which he did not star, but costarred as part of an ensemble?

I don't get this notion that taking second billing in a big budget big studio franchise pic is beneath some of these guys. Isn't that exactly what Rock's doing in the new Michael Bay movie, and the Fast and Furious movies, and the GI Joe sequel?
But is Drax getting second billing? I assumed that GOTG was going to be Star Lord with Rocket and his amazing friends.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #311
Chewy
REDACTED

Rocket, as an all CGI character, is unlikely to have as much screentime as Drax or Gamora. Especially if setting up Thanos here is a major goal of Marvel's, as Drax and Gamora lend themselves nicely to that.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #312
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
who's next? chris klein? chris cooper? chris waltz? chris walken? chris o'donnell? chris pine? chris tucker?
What's your point?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #313
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm not necessarily saying that Drax is beneath The Rock, but more that if Marvel were going to utilize The Rock I think they would rather it be in a title role, maybe something like Namor. Additionally, while Dwayne Johnson maybe a good fit physically, the role of Drax would seem to be a bit of a waste of his natural charisma.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #314
Chewy
REDACTED

They won't be making a Namor movie or a Hercules movie or whatever else Rock could take the title role in anytime this decade. This bizarre "let's save so-and-so actor for such-and-such movie that will never actually be made" logic that I sometimes see around these boards is super baffling

Also Drax has been a great character ever since Annihilation, and I'm sure he'll be a meaty character in the movie

Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #315
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
They won't be making a Namor movie or a Hercules movie or whatever else Rock could take the title role in anytime this decade. This bizarre "let's save so-and-so actor for such-and-such movie that will never actually be made" logic that I sometimes see around these boards is super baffling

Also Drax has been a great character ever since Annihilation, and I'm sure he'll be a meaty character in the movie
That's fair, there is no telling when we might get a Namor movie, I just feel Marvel could better capitalize on The Rock. That said I'd have no problem with The Rock as Drax, but he has four movies in pre-production so I doubt he has time to film this anyway.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #316
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmannuk12 View Post
At this point Rather than Batista or Momoa I would say yes to Terry Crews. But now I'm thinking Drax can just be an Unknown with all three qualities.

Batistas look
Momoas action
Crews acting

There has to be someone unknown who can do all 3. Hollywood is filled with hungry Unknowns. Marvel needs to look harder

And NO VIN DISEL... Drax cant be shorter than Starlors
I wouldnt say drax can't be shorter. If its like Cyke/Wolvie comic versions it could work. Besides, getting worked up over height in a movie is a nonissue since they have been able to solve that problem for years. Hell, Vin was looking the Rock in the eyes on fast five. Although this isn't support for Vin as Drax

Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #317
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxrose81 View Post
This is going to be the most riskiest movie of all so they simply won't hire a big name, imo. They cost too much, unless they're willing to come down. Frankly, all the big names being bandied about for Drax are not the best actors. I'd rather they go with someone less established.
Exactly. We don't want *so and so* as Drax. We just want...Drax

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #318
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The thing that makes this film so fascinating (and quite risky) is that this film is a puzzle to even long time comic book fans. The main plot points of the first few MCU films were easy to figure out - Iron Man is captured, Cap is transformed, Thor is banished and the Hulk is hunted.

GOTG brings more questions than answers. Will Drax be a (heavily modified) human? How much (if any) of his origin will be in the film? Will Rocket & Groot be aliens or (heavily modified) earth creatures? Will Moondragon be in the film? Will Gamora start out alligned with Thanos and then pull a "hero" turn? What will Thanos' powers be? I'm more interested in this film than anything before Avengers 2 because I haven't a clue about what Gunn is going to do.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #319
deadmannuk12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Exactly. We don't want *so and so* as Drax. We just want...Drax
I'm not apposed to having Drax played by an African American like terry crews or kevin grevioux, but at this point I would prefer an Unknown so when we look on screen we just see Drax.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #320
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I imagine Drax will have some prosthetics on his face, and not simply painted to look like a green Terry Crews or whoever.

When it comes to Gamora though, I'd like her to just look like a green version of the actress.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #321
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
But is Drax getting second billing? I assumed that GOTG was going to be Star Lord with Rocket and his amazing friends.
Drax and Gamora have serious ties to the antagonist. Rocket is a Raccoon.

Put simply (even though the characters don't line up):

Star-Lord= Luke
Drax= Han
Gamora= Leia
Rocket= The Droids
Groot= Chewbacca

The humanoids will be the main characters, and Rocket and Groot will be there for comic relief.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #322
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I imagine Drax will have some prosthetics on his face, and not simply painted to look like a green Terry Crews or whoever.

When it comes to Gamora though, I'd like her to just look like a green version of the actress.
I kind of hope there's more too Gamora than just painting her green. Maybe white contacts and some ridges around her eyes where the war paint is.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #323
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I do want to see a "making of" video though where the actress playing Gamora gets painted green. Shame there wasn't one for Rebecca Romijn when she was painted blue. I don't want Gamora to end up with scales or anything like Mystique though.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #324
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I don't want Gamora to end up with scales or anything like Mystique though.
Nor do I. Just maybe little affectations around her eyes. Maybe subtle reshaping in post to give her an otherworldly feel. I'm not artistically inclined enough to show you what I mean, but I basically think she should look 90% hot chick painted Green, 10% weird and alien, instead of just 100% hot chick painted green.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #325
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Nor do I. Just maybe little affectations around her eyes. Maybe subtle reshaping in post to give her an otherworldly feel. I'm not artistically inclined enough to show you what I mean, but I basically think she should look 90% hot chick painted Green, 10% weird and alien, instead of just 100% hot chick painted green.
I think minor prosthetics like you get for Star Trek make up (for the chicks) would work, so that it still looks aesthetically pleasing. But no ridges like a Bajoran nose or Klingon forehead, or a Cardassian spoon.

Closed Thread