The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #926
mclay18
Side-Kick
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,514
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Im only really worried about the story at this point
I have faith in Jaffa & Silver. I just hope the production is working with a completed script this time...

__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine Channing Tatum grinding his crotch in a human face, forever."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #927
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 46,423
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Yeah, I can't see this being worse than JP 3.

Now JP 3 was enjoyable when it was released, but in retrospect, the plotting felt like it was a direct-to-video film. It's a JP movie where there's no story to tell, really. It's so small in scope; it's not only a family rescue, the Kirby members are annoyingly written. Plus, all of the human (cannon fodder) deaths happen in one master stroke right they get onto the island and meant nothing. None of the deaths have weight because we never knew who these people were.

And it's weird to see Sam Neil and Laura Dern in this. It doesn't even feel cannon. In fact, it shows how Spielberg IS one of a kind and can't be duplicated, even when he sleepwalked through Lost World.

For it's flaws, The Lost World's plot was driven by corporate greed. At least that's a story worth telling and it made sense since that's the driving force behind the Jurassic Park theme park anyway (along with the misuse of science).

__________________
"Benicio Del Toro is up-and-coming...and this (movie) could be his breakthrough role."

-- Anonymous, 2016
Octoberist is offline  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #928
TheDreamMaster
Deathtrooper Specialist
 
TheDreamMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mandalore
Posts: 4,811
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Gotta agree Octoberist, and it really shows because I felt the same way when I was 13 seeing it the first time. Its not about seeing everyone get eaten, but they should have spaced out those early deaths. Not to mention it was so hard to care for any character that wasn't Grant.
I also always complained because JP3's lack of story makes it like a full hour shorter than TLW.
Oddly, despite the somewhat depressing nature, I like the scenes with Ellie and Alan. It just sucks nothing really worked out between them.

TheDreamMaster is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #929
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 46,423
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

I never thought of it, but this Jurassic Park director situation is JUST like Gareth Edwards' hiring with Godzilla: Indie filmmakers with one breakthrough flick with sci-fi elements, then launched into the lions den with major franchises. Both franchises deal with giant lizards as well. :0

__________________
"Benicio Del Toro is up-and-coming...and this (movie) could be his breakthrough role."

-- Anonymous, 2016
Octoberist is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #930
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 46,423
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
Gotta agree Octoberist, and it really shows because I felt the same way when I was 13 seeing it the first time. Its not about seeing everyone get eaten, but they should have spaced out those early deaths. Not to mention it was so hard to care for any character that wasn't Grant.
I also always complained because JP3's lack of story makes it like a full hour shorter than TLW.
Oddly, despite the somewhat depressing nature, I like the scenes with Ellie and Alan. It just sucks nothing really worked out between them.
I think there are elements of Jurassic Park 3 that are interesting but in reality, they're just scenes that were leftovers that were cut out from the previous films. That includes the river scene and the exploration of the cloning labs/facilities. It's not from a creative spark that drives the narrative, but rather, "Let's use the cut stuff from the other movies". JP 3 was known to have script problems and it showed, despite the level of talent involved (Alexander Payne), and had on set rewrites. Frankly, I don't know how much of Payne's work is present in the final script...

Even the concept of the Spinosaur never came off as an organic addition to the franchise. It felt toyatic. Bluntly toyatic. And I know that fans came up with theories about this, but where was the Spinosaurus in The Lost World? Fans said JP3 takes place on the other side of the island, therefore, you have different dinosaurs and a more forresty environment, but I just don't buy it.

__________________
"Benicio Del Toro is up-and-coming...and this (movie) could be his breakthrough role."

-- Anonymous, 2016

Last edited by Octoberist; 03-19-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Octoberist is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #931
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 13,754
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

I really hated he Spinosaur and Trex confrontation in the beginning it pretty much ruined most of the film for me.

__________________
T H E E P I C F I L M G U Y S P O D C A S T
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #932
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 22,033
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I really hated he Spinosaur and Trex confrontation in the beginning it pretty much ruined most of the film for me.
I always disliked that scene and how they shoved the Spinosaurus down our throats. Hey, a Spino just killed a T-Rex so that means the old poster boy isn't a good as the new one.

__________________
Follow Anne on Instagram and Facebook
Your source for Anne Hathaway news.
AnneFan is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #933
TheDreamMaster
Deathtrooper Specialist
 
TheDreamMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mandalore
Posts: 4,811
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I think there are elements of Jurassic Park 3 that are interesting but in reality, they're just scenes that were leftovers that were cut out from the previous films. That includes the river scene and the exploration of the cloning labs/facilities. It's not from a creative spark that drives the narrative, but rather, "Let's use the cut stuff from the other movies". JP 3 was known to have script problems and it showed, despite the level of talent involved (Alexander Payne), and had on set rewrites. Frankly, I don't know how much of Payne's work is present in the final script...

Even the concept of the Spinosaur never came off as an organic addition to the franchise. It felt toyatic. Bluntly toyatic. And I know that fans came up with theories about this, but where was the Spinosaurus in The Lost World? Fans said JP3 takes place on the other side of the island, therefore, you have different dinosaurs and a more forresty environment, but I just don't buy it.
Were there any other theories? Also, unless of course it straight died from being the only one, it'll be just as big an elephant if it doesn't show up this film. I agree with you guys though, I hated the Spino/Rex fight and it just kills the movie for me. I also thing the CGI on the Spino in some shots is horrible compared to the previous films, and the animatronics on the Spino, especially in the plane attack, look really bad in some scenes. I think the river scene looks fantastic but I think a lot of the movements and such during the plane scene look really fake to me.

__________________
H.E.

"She is a vampire bat!"
"Was the joke that bad?"
TheDreamMaster is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #934
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 13,754
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Ya the cgi in 3 hasn't aged as well as it did in the first two, strangely enough.

__________________
T H E E P I C F I L M G U Y S P O D C A S T
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #935
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 16,429
Cs Funny Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I always disliked that scene and how they shoved the Spinosaurus down our throats. Hey, a Spino just killed a T-Rex so that means the old poster boy isn't a good as the new one.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...TheNewVillains

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #936
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 66,286
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Spino should return, but only to be killed by T-rex. let him reign supreme

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #937
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 13,754
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Spino should return, but only to be killed by T-rex. let him reign supreme
This^ seeing this happen would give me great pleasure.

__________________
T H E E P I C F I L M G U Y S P O D C A S T
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #938
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 66,286
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
This^ seeing this happen would give me great pleasure.
i think it's what most want lol

REVENGE!

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #939
Victarion
Iron Captain
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,513
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

The laboratory ruins and the aerie were the best scenes in JP3. I don't like the Spino, either. I was hoping the carnotaurus from The Lost World would make an appearance. Their ability to camoflauge themselves, chameleon-like, could create some tastily tense scenes. Especially in a dark, misty environment with lots of debris and rubble. Like a ruined lab or scientists' village on the island.

Grant's research into the velociraptors would have been a more interesting plot hook to get him to the island than being hijacked by the Kirbys.

__________________
Goku Lands on Namek CEO
...no king but the King in the North whose name is BRADY...
Victarion is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #940
mclay18
Side-Kick
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,514
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Laura Dern's Enlightened series has been cancelled by HBO, so that gives her room to do Jurassic Park 4 if they want her back.

__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine Channing Tatum grinding his crotch in a human face, forever."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #941
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 46,423
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Which is not great news for fans for Enlightened..of course.

Octoberist is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #942
DaRkVeNgeanCe
An Epic Film Guy
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 13,754
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Id like to hear some of your guys' theories. Is this film going to take place on the same island at the original park, a separate island( kind or like JP3) or on the mainland in another country.

__________________
T H E E P I C F I L M G U Y S P O D C A S T
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #943
Lando81
Harmenian
 
Lando81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TalkRadar
Posts: 2,098
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Honestly, I hope they visit set pieces from the first film only aged 20 some years. Can't remember to what extent 2 or 3 visited recognizable places, but it'd be cool to see the visitor's center again.

__________________
#SixSeasonsAndAMovie
Lando81 is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #944
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,931
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

^ Yeah, I'd like that. As long as they're not pulling a JPIII, and re-treading the story/relying on nostalgia of the first movie.

titansupes is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #945
chaseter
What? Hm. Well...WOW
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 45,286
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

I don't think this is going to be out next summer. I am thinking August-November if they don't get this moving.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #946
Lando81
Harmenian
 
Lando81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TalkRadar
Posts: 2,098
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I don't think this is going to be out next summer. I am thinking August-November if they don't get this moving.
Release date is in July. Plenty of time between now and then to film and do post-production.

__________________
#SixSeasonsAndAMovie
Lando81 is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #947
mclay18
Side-Kick
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,514
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando81 View Post
Release date is in July. Plenty of time between now and then to film and do post-production.
The date is set for June 13, 2014. It'll be a condensed post-production schedule, but as long as they start filming on time (and edit on set), it can be done. Remember, the first JP was shot August 1992, less than a year prior to the film's release.

The film is a big priority for Universal, now that they have a script they and Spielberg agree on. They've been doing prep work, plus renting out stage space in Louisiana, prior to Colin Trevorrow boarding as director.

It's gonna be a reality, but never say never until they start filming.

__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine Channing Tatum grinding his crotch in a human face, forever."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #948
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,931
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
The date is set for June 13, 2014. It'll be a condensed post-production schedule, but as long as they start filming on time (and edit on set), it can be done. Remember, the first JP was shot August 1992, less than a year prior to the film's release.

The film is a big priority for Universal, now that they have a script they and Spielberg agree on. They've been doing prep work, plus renting out stage space in Louisiana, prior to Colin Trevorrow boarding as director.

It's gonna be a reality, but never say never until they start filming.
Didn't know that, makes me feel a bit better. But then, y'know... JPIII.

titansupes is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #949
mclay18
Side-Kick
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,514
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Didn't know that, makes me feel a bit better. But then, y'know... JPIII.
I don't know why Spielberg signed off on that POS script for JP3. Besides, plenty of films have shot with a year or less to their release date and they've turned out fine... The Avengers, X2, Munich (which started filming six months prior to its Christmas release), and so forth.

Of course, plenty of rushed movies turn out bad too... I'm looking at you A Good Day to Die Hard.

__________________
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine Channing Tatum grinding his crotch in a human face, forever."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #950
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,931
Default Re: Jurassic Park IV - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I don't know why Spielberg signed off on that POS script for JP3. Besides, plenty of films have shot with a year or less to their release date and they've turned out fine... The Avengers, X2, Munich (which started filming six months prior to its Christmas release), and so forth.

Of course, plenty of rushed movies turn out bad too... I'm looking at you A Good Day to Die Hard.
I'm not too sure on Munich, but I'd say that's because it wasn't as effects heavy as this is bound to be, so we didn't have to worry about that being rushed.

As for Avengers and X2, I think they had their directors in place long before that, didn't they? Where as with this - doing lots of pre-production work while looking for a director to take over mere weeks away from filming... Feels a little Ratner/X3-ish.

Of course, I hope for the best.


Last edited by titansupes; 03-20-2013 at 01:12 AM.
titansupes is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.