View Poll Results: TFA vs TLJ
TFA 63 66.32%
TLJ 32 33.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #151
Snow Queen
4AF

Default Re: TFA vs TLJ

Several months later, TFA has aged nicely in my mind, and it's one I enjoy going back to and frequently do. Last Jedi, I've gotten to a point with this movie where I'm not sure I even like it anymore, and the more I think about it, the less I like it. I can enjoy it while watching though still, so long as I don't really think about it. I'm just glad it hasn't affected my enjoyment of TFA.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #152
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Over 2 years on, TFA is one of my 10 favorite films and my second favorite Star Wars movie. TLJ hasn't has aged as poorly as Rogue One has for me, but it just... there. Me praying JJ will get some live of out of it with IX.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #153
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
There isn't much to crap on. Blade Runner was a cursed world with sinful characters. Nobody idolized or looked up to Decard. This is different from the worship, idolatry, and day dreaming about the Jedi order. It needed to be torn down and rebuilt.
Was talking more about the fans of said movies and characters.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #154
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
Several months later, TFA has aged nicely in my mind, and it's one I enjoy going back to and frequently do. Last Jedi, I've gotten to a point with this movie where I'm not sure I even like it anymore, and the more I think about it, the less I like it. I can enjoy it while watching though still, so long as I don't really think about it. I'm just glad it hasn't affected my enjoyment of TFA.
I haven’t watched watched TFA since seeing TLJ, so this gives me hope I can still enjoy TFA, despite me feeling TLJ dropped the ball on pretty much everything TFA set up.

Couldn’t agree more with your thoughts on TLJ though.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 04-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #155
Pennywise
Side-Kick

TFA for me!

Pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #156
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

I can still watch TFA and enjoy it. Feels like classic Star Wars

TLJ continues to be a steaming pile of hot garbage. Tried watching the other day and couldn't bring myself to finish it

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #157
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
I can still watch TFA and enjoy it. Feels like classic Star Wars

TLJ continues to be a steaming pile of hot garbage. Tried watching the other day and couldn't bring myself to finish it
I can watch and enjoy TLJ, watched it again today. And I enjoy it while I was it. But then I think about it after and half of it just falls apart.

TFA though gets the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up several times throughout.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #158
Gothamsknight
Side-Kick

While I love The last Jedi and I do enjoy it, The Force Awakens is the better film in my opinion. Theres something so special about The Force awakens That still, to this day, gives me chills. Its my 3rd fave Star Wars film, right under Empire and a New Hope. So yes, The Force Awakens for me.

Gothamsknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #159
Aximili86
Side-Kick

TLJ, hands down. And TFA's a really solid entry too.

Aximili86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #160
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think TFA is definitely a smoother ride, but the thing I cannot get around is the fact that I vastly prefer the third act of TLJ. It's just more exciting and visually striking to me, and it's going to be the one truly 'glorious' moment for any of the OT cast in this trilogy. As a longtime, I thought it was a note perfect sendoff for Luke. Which I thin was appropriate and necessary after mystery boxing him in TFA. He needed his moment to shine and be the legend we all wanted him to be.

Overall though, I like both films fairly equally. I was never on board with the idea that TLJ was a slap in the face to TFA, so I have no trouble viewing it as one story.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #161
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

I think, by it's very nature, The Force Awakens is easier to watch on it's own as it's a thrill-ride with a beginning and ending, albeit setting up the bigger story. The Last Jedi is slower and heavier, has neither a beginning nor an end, and basically complicates everything without resolution.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #162
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
I think, by it's very nature, The Force Awakens is easier to watch on it's own as it's a thrill-ride with a beginning and ending, albeit setting up the bigger story. The Last Jedi is slower and heavier, has neither a beginning nor an end, and basically complicates everything without resolution.
Hmm, that reminds me of another film in this franchise...

Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #163
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Hmm, that reminds me of another film in this franchise...
Obviously.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #164
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

I would say Empire is a far better movie and achieves its goal far more than TLJ does though.

Unless you were talking about Attack Of The Clones .

Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #165
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I would say Empire is a far better movie and achieves its goal far more than TLJ does though.

Unless you were talking about Attack Of The Clones .
Well, sure, obviously Empire is much better. That's kind of a no-brainer. But A New Hope is also much better than TFA, by default imo. So the whole quality scale of the two trilogies inevitably skews to the OT, of course. To notice some narrative similarities between TLJ and Empire is in no way intended to equate them- it's just kind of ironic knowing that Empire was not warmly received at first. And that's also not to say TLJ will some day become as revered- I don't think it will. But I do think having the context of how the trilogy ends will help some people accept its place in the story vs. just seeing it as an antithesis to TFA intended to shock. As long as IX manages to tie things together in a satisfactory way, that is.

The ST is burdened with having to try and echo/honor these giants of cinema while pushing the franchise forward for a new generation, and it's a very tough balance to pull off. They definitely haven't pulled it off flawlessly. I think both TFA and TLJ could've probably used some rewrites. But everyone I talk to who are enjoying the new films are on the same page as me there. We don't have any illusions about these films being on par with the originals, but still think by 2018 blockbuster standards they are pretty darn enjoyable and as Star Wars fans, they're keeping the mythology fresh enough.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #166
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I def agree there. I don't think either TFA or TLJ are OT quality, but I am enjoying the ST overall. It's not perfect and I think there are some clear issues, but they're Star Wars movies I will actively watch (unlike the PT).

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 PM   #167
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

I've only once been able to get through TLJ since buying it on home media but have enjoyed both TFA and Rogue One so much more. Thus, I like TFA more since it has some rather enjoyable set pieces and character arcs while TLJ is kind of a joyless suck that doesn't have any real excitement until the final act. TLJ also wastes many of TFA's perfect set-ups for supposed big twists that end up flopping.

If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you die, walk it off."--Captain America
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote