Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #626
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Season 3 NEWS & DISCUSSION Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I wish they would let the writers that have written the most write for the characters they know the most...rather than the show runners throwing their hand in the writing. Thus far, except for "The Girl Who Has Everything" I have not liked episodes where the show runners wrote the scripts. IMHO, and I can only speak for "Supergirl" I want Eric and Caitlyn writing that episode...with input from the other regular writers of the other shows, and then vice versa with SG writers having input in the other shows. I don't want that Guggenheimer dude near any of them. I know I spelled his name wrong....
Yeah, Guggenheim's the worst. I don't care for Eric either, though. Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller are two of the better writers of the show, imo (they gave us "Falling," and each co-wrote the Superman eps and "Luthors" from S2) and as the new showrunners, they'll be the main writers giving "Supergirl" input in the crossover I'd imagine.

As far as the other showrunners stepping in for an ep, I will say aside from "World's Finest" and "Supergirl Lives," I've generally enjoyed the episodes Andrew Kreisberg contributed on. "For the Girl Who Has Everything," "The Adventures of Supergirl," "Changing" and "Nevertheless, She Persisted" were all some of the better episodes of the show, imo.

EDIT: Good point about the title/theme of Episode 6, Nia. Totally forgot about that. And yes, that sounds much better than the scenarios we were dreaming up, lol.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by Kelly; 09-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #627
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Yeah, Guggenheim's the worst. I don't care for Eric either, though. Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller are two of the better writers of the show, imo (they gave us "Falling," and each co-wrote the Superman eps and "Luthors" from S2) and as the new showrunners, they'll be the main writers giving "Supergirl" input in the crossover I'd imagine.

As far as the other showrunners stepping in for an ep, I will say aside from "World's Finest" and "Supergirl Lives," I've generally enjoyed the episodes Andrew Kreisberg contributed on. "For the Girl Who Has Everything," "The Adventures of Supergirl," "Changing" and "Nevertheless, She Persisted" were all some of the better episodes of the show, imo.

EDIT: Good point about the title/theme of Episode 6, Nia. Totally forgot about that. And yes, that sounds much better than the scenarios we were dreaming up, lol.

When it was mostly Kreisberg? Yes, the episodes were good, especially the 2nd season, but when Berlanti is a part of it....I get flash backs to "Green Lantern" movie.

And OMG..... I said Ep. 5, I meant Ep. 6. I need to just go to bed....horrible week, but back to school and hopefully normalcy tomorrow.

It seems like Derek and Caitlyn are the only 2 that remember anything from Season 1. Time for instance..... IS IT 15 YEARS OR 13 YEARS.....they can't get their timeline straight.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that some of the better writing were in episodes that had so little of Supergirl/Kara....for instance "Lost whatever" episode was very well written, but only about 5 minutes of Supergirl in it. Greg Berlanti wrote "Changes" well, because I have a feeling a lot of his life was in that episode......AND the acting of Melissa and Chyler.....the "Parasite" part of the story was pretty crappy however.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Last edited by Kelly; 09-04-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #628
Brierrose
Side-Kick

You get a MAJOR natural disaster exemption Kelly! S3E5 is "Two Rings", which is the Kevin Smith directed episode that probably finished filming sometime last week. The above shot of "Midville High School" must be from S3E6 "Midville", we know shows often shoot out of order. I would imagine E6 would have lots of flashbacks of Kara and Alex in high school so Melissa and everyone else can take a break before the insanity that is the crossovers starts. I hope Midville means Helen Slater is back. Flashbacks if done well do add dimensions to the characters perhaps we will see some new aspects to the Danvers sisters relationship.

Brierrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #629
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

I don't like this idea of Melissa taking time off already. I wonder which episode will be Supergirl-lite.

As for the crossover titles, the first thing I thought of is Crisis and the Anti-Monitor.

That Midvale high school was likely the same high school used for Smallville.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #630
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
I don't like this idea of Melissa taking time off already. I wonder which episode will be Supergirl-lite.
Episode 6, "Midvale." Apparently, as Nia pointed out, due to lots of flashbacks.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #631
Sithborg
The new ewoks

Quote:

And looking at Guggenheim's work, omg, I totally see the connection between Olicity and what he is doing with Kitty/Piotr in X-men Gold.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #632
haephestus
Side-Kick

Wow. James and Lena? That's ... different. If true, I'm not really sure what they're aiming for, other than giving Jimmy something to do. Lena and Winn seemed to have more potential in their bomb diffusing scene and I'm not particularly enamoured with his criminal girlfriend.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #633
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

If Winn dumped Lyra for Lena it would still leave James as the odd man out, or they would have to hire someone for his girlfriend instead. And having a bad girl like Lyra paired with a good guy like Winn leads to more sparks.
Winn and Lena would be kind of a boring couple. James and Lena too, but this way James isn't the lonely guy, and it give him more to do. Winn already has plenty to do so from a story point of view it doesn't help his character
to dump Lyra for Lena. And I think Lyra is cute, so I like seeing her. I would be disappointed it they wrote Lyra out.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #634
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Winn/Lyra sucks, imo, but Winn/Lena wouldn't be any better. Honestly, if I had my way, the show wouldn't bother with Winn's love life at all, outside of brief mentions here or there. Maybe mention a background romance with a fellow DEO agent or something. They should take notes from Nikita and their Birkhoff character on how to make the requisite "tech guy" a great character without wasting screen time on BS subplots for him.

Last edited by flickchick85; 09-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #635
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I really, really hope they don't try to do James/Lena. Lena has done nothing to deserve such a punishment.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #636
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Each episode of Supergirl takes 10 days to shoot, which is far longer than most shows, so you actually aren't going to typically see them filming something from, say, Episode 4 one day and something from Episode 6 the next day.

If Melissa is taking time off, it means that she's completed all the shooting she's required to do for whichever episode they happen to be currently producing.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #637
Nia
Side-Kick

There's now official news on the flashback episode.

The younger cast:

Quote:
Izabela Vidovic has been tapped to play the new young Kara on the CW super series, EW has learned exclusively.

The Fosters actress replaces the original young Girl of Steel Malina Weissman, who now currently stars on Netflix’s A Series of Unfortunate Events, for a flashback-heavy episode that will reveal much more about the Danvers sisters.

The sixth episode of the season, titled “Midvale,” finds Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Alex (Chyler Leigh) taking a road trip to their childhood home, where they relive a murder mystery from high school that shaped their relationship as we know it.

“You’ll get to see, through the way they interact, how their relationship started when Kara first came to Earth, how it grew, how it became so close and why they’re so close nowadays,” Benoist tells EW.
Younger Alex:

Quote:
Of course that is only half of the equation! Supergirl.tv can independently confirm that an older yet still teenaged sister Alex Danvers will be played by actress Olivia Nikkanen, known from her roles on HBO's Boardwalk Empire and FX's The Americans.
https://supergirl.tv/midvale-episode...-new-kara-alex
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/05/supergir...g-kara-recast/

Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #638
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Izabela Vidovic does look more like Melissa than Malina Weissman did. Except for the dimple on her chin. Also curious how a teenage Kara had brown eyes and now an adult Kara has blue eyes.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #639
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

So... will they reshoot/redo the opening credits sequence - which currently features the other actress as young Kara?

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #640
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

They should probably just do a whole new intro for season three.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #641
Nia
Side-Kick

The actress can easily wear contacts.

Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #642
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

A Danvers sisters-focused episode is honestly the best case scenario for a Supergirl-lite situation as far as I'm concerned, so this makes me happy.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #643
Brierrose
Side-Kick

Kudos to the casting directors for casting an actual 16 year old to play a 16 year old Kara rather than the usual Hollywood route of like a 20 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
Izabela Vidovic does look more like Melissa than Malina Weissman did. Except for the dimple on her chin. Also curious how a teenage Kara had brown eyes and now an adult Kara has blue eyes.
I'm guessing Izabela will wear color contact lenses since otherwise we'll need some explanation for why Kara's eyes went from blue to brown and back to blue. Things like that bug the audience enough to take us out of the story. I guess they could change her eye color with CGI but contact lenses are easier and much cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
So... will they reshoot/redo the opening credits sequence - which currently features the other actress as young Kara?
It wouldn't look right to reshoot taking Malina out of the opening, that was Kara when she left Krypton at 12ish and this is Kara about four years later. The intro could be redone to not show krypton at all. I actually like the words in the intro as a concise explanation of who Kara is.

Brierrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #644
LL2K2
Maid of Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
I thought someone had posted this image from the exteriors being set up last week but maybe I was wrong.

https://twitter.com/sara_m_g/status/903782890437148672
Looks awfully familiar...

http://homeofthenutty.com/smallville..._display_media

Last edited by LL2K2; 09-06-2017 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Changed to a hyperlink so as not to expand page too much.
LL2K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #645
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
A Danvers sisters-focused episode is honestly the best case scenario for a Supergirl-lite situation as far as I'm concerned, so this makes me happy.
Ditto!

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 AM   #646
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
What? They could have used this episode to tell us more about Jimmy's dad's camera. Or Winn's dad's toy making adventures. Or had an episode with Winn and Jimmy discussing their daddy issues while fighting crime and saving the day as Guardian and his sidekick ... whatever.

I agree that a Danvers sisters episode is very welcome, especially as they seemed to spend so much time living separate lives in season 2.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #647
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
There's now official news on the flashback episode.

The younger cast:

Younger Alex:

https://supergirl.tv/midvale-episode...-new-kara-alex
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/05/supergir...g-kara-recast/
So does this mean that in the opening credits, they're going to have to change the image of young Kara as well when Kal-El lifts off the cover of the spaceship and Melissa Benoist is narrating that he had already become Superman?

But what happens if this actress gets a role in another series, or ages out of the role too? Then are they going to replace her again in the opening credits? So over several seasons we could keep seeing different versions of the young Kara?

And Izabela Vidovic is going to age out of the role pretty soon, because she's already 16, and in 2 years time she'll even be 18 and an adult.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #648
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Recasting happens. And in this case (as noted), it can be rationalized as young characters ageing into teenhood. But if new young Kara becomes a semi-regular, it might be awkward (and confusing) to have the old young Kara appear in the intro sequence of every episode. My suggestion: redesign the intro or re-edit it without Kara close-ups.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #649
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Totally in for this one....

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #650
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Recasting happens. And in this case (as noted), it can be rationalized as young characters ageing into teenhood. But if new young Kara becomes a semi-regular, it might be awkward (and confusing) to have the old young Kara appear in the intro sequence of every episode. My suggestion: redesign the intro or re-edit it without Kara close-ups.
I have a feeling we may be getting a whole new intro.....since nothing new for the suit, then they can do a new intro to make those that need change happy.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~