The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #851
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

I don't particularly want him to take his shirt off. And they'll be professional enough to say let's not if he's got a bit of gut and a nice set of moobs. There'll be a lot of things going on so we can do without the bat-striptease. Other than that it doesn't matter. He's got the right build naturally.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #852
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

http://www.superpunch.net/2014/05/le...-on-couch.html

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #853
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't think it's as important as his 'personality'. That's all embracing. His body is just an emanation of that. We probably won't get a Daniel Craig style trunks scene, anyway.
I agree with that. My only point is that it's as valid a topic as any, and people don't need to be labeled anything for talking about it.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #854
HUMANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
hey!!! stop posting actual pictures of me....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #855
elgaz
Side-Kick

Micheal Keaton was hardly the embodiment of male physical perfection. He was pretty slim, not especially muscular, and not especially tall. Did it stop us accepting him as a believeable Batman? No.

Same goes for George Clooney and Val Kilmer at the times. Good looking guys with decent physiques, but they certainly weren't ripped or hugely muscular.

It was only when Christian Bale came along that we got a Batman who was pretty muscular, and looked strong even without the suit - like he does in the comics.

However ........................... I agree that Batman's physical appearance should be something a bit more out of the ordinary than just an average slim guy; it's not critical to the role, but it certainly helps. He's obsessed with what he does, and that obsession should extend to his training regime. Even without training, he spends his nights doing hugely physical things - violent confrontations, swinging off rooftops, etc - all of that will have aided his physique in some way too.

With Snyder's particular interpretation of Batman in mind (older, seasoned), I don't think he needs to be cut and chiselled in the same way that Cavill is. Cavill's Superman is genetically perfect and that shows in his body. I think they should focus more on Batman just being big and solid, with real power behind his punches and kicks. I liked the approach in Rocky Balboa where he got back into boxing as an older man, and his trainer said he no longer had speed, or could run or spar like a young guy ......... but he had power, and they could rely on blunt-force-trauma. Batman isn't that old yet, but if he is seasoned and late 30s/approaching 40, he won't be as quick as when he was younger. Having more power balances that out.

I like the idea of approaching Batman in a similar way, where his aesthetic matches his physicality - he's not a sharply chiselled sculpture, more a big solid block of granite which blocks out the light! Affleck is tall, and broad, which is a great start ........... and as long as he can pack on muscle and size (which he looks to have been doing) I wouldn't particularly care if he has a visible six-pack or if we see him shirtless at all. He will look powerful, which is all that's needed for this Batman.

Last edited by elgaz; 06-12-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #856
elgaz
Side-Kick

On that note, this is a great read about Batman's physique in comics/movies over the years

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.ie/2011...ppearance.html

Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #857
LordofhouseEl
Banned User

Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #858
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #859
Travesty
TEOL

I'll agree that Bale looked big in BB, but for the others, he seemed pretty skinny.

But for me, I don't really care, as long as he looks good in the Batsuit and as Bruce Wayne. I haven't had a problem with any of the actors playing Batman, cause they all looked fine as both.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #860
elgaz
Side-Kick

I always thought Clooney had the perfect comic-book Bruce Wayne face, just a pity it was a stinker of a movie and he didn't complete the look by bulking up a little.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #861
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'll agree that Bale looked big in BB, but for the others, he seemed pretty skinny.

But for me, I don't really care, as long as he looks good in the Batsuit and as Bruce Wayne. I haven't had a problem with any of the actors playing Batman, cause they all looked fine as both.
I think Affleck being ripped is perfect punishment for those who like Bale ONLY because he was muscular

Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #862
Kane52630
Crescendolls User

Quote:

Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #863
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Bale trimmed down a bit for the sequels (thinnest was TDK), but he was still very cut and it was obvious that he trained for the part. To me Bruce just needs to have an athlete's physique, not necessarily a body-builder/pro-wrestler look. I'm sure Affleck will be fine, we've already seen him in the suit, guy looks like a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think Affleck being ripped is perfect punishment for those who like Bale ONLY because he was muscular
Those people exist?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #864
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Bale was in no way skinny in the 2nd and 3rd film. His face was thinner, which made people think he was skinny.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #865
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Micheal Keaton was hardly the embodiment of male physical perfection. He was pretty slim, not especially muscular, and not especially tall. Did it stop us accepting him as a believeable Batman? No.

Same goes for George Clooney and Val Kilmer at the times. Good looking guys with decent physiques, but they certainly weren't ripped or hugely muscular.

It was only when Christian Bale came along that we got a Batman who was pretty muscular, and looked strong even without the suit - like he does in the comics.

However ........................... I agree that Batman's physical appearance should be something a bit more out of the ordinary than just an average slim guy; it's not critical to the role, but it certainly helps. He's obsessed with what he does, and that obsession should extend to his training regime. Even without training, he spends his nights doing hugely physical things - violent confrontations, swinging off rooftops, etc - all of that will have aided his physique in some way too.

With Snyder's particular interpretation of Batman in mind (older, seasoned), I don't think he needs to be cut and chiselled in the same way that Cavill is. Cavill's Superman is genetically perfect and that shows in his body. I think they should focus more on Batman just being big and solid, with real power behind his punches and kicks. I liked the approach in Rocky Balboa where he got back into boxing as an older man, and his trainer said he no longer had speed, or could run or spar like a young guy ......... but he had power, and they could rely on blunt-force-trauma. Batman isn't that old yet, but if he is seasoned and late 30s/approaching 40, he won't be as quick as when he was younger. Having more power balances that out.

I like the idea of approaching Batman in a similar way, where his aesthetic matches his physicality - he's not a sharply chiselled sculpture, more a big solid block of granite which blocks out the light! Affleck is tall, and broad, which is a great start ........... and as long as he can pack on muscle and size (which he looks to have been doing) I wouldn't particularly care if he has a visible six-pack or if we see him shirtless at all. He will look powerful, which is all that's needed for this Batman.
It's not about whether we can accept him as Batman or not. Sure we can. We've also accepted ugly black rubber suits where he can't turn his head.

It's about hoping for the best possible Batman and the pics you posted do not cut it. At all. Not when all the other superhero actors have put in the work to have great, aesthetic physiques which are part of the character. Especially considering that Affleck's co-star made a huge impact (his shirtless scene was probably one of the most publicized things about MoS) with his physique.

It's not wrong to hope that Affleck gets in great shape, just as we all hoped the Batsuit would be comic accurate.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #866
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Who were they? As far as I know, Bale fans have a lot more reasons than that.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #867
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
It's not about whether we can accept him as Batman or not. Sure we can. We've also accepted ugly black rubber suits where he can't turn his head.

It's about hoping for the best possible Batman and the pics you posted do not cut it. At all. Not when all the other superhero actors have put in the work to have great, aesthetic physiques which are part of the character. Especially considering that Affleck's co-star made a huge impact (his shirtless scene was probably one of the most publicized things about MoS) with his physique.

It's not wrong to hope that Affleck gets in great shape, just as we all hoped the Batsuit would be comic accurate.
Did you read my text below the photos? I agree . I just don't think that Affleck needs to be as insanely chiselled as Cavill was, for the very reasons I stated.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #868
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Did you read my text below the photos? I agree . I just don't think that Affleck needs to be as insanely chiselled as Cavill was, for the very reasons I stated.
Haha not closely enough. Looks like we're on the same page. You make a great point about the difference between Batman and Superman's physiques, and I agree.

I apologize for only paying attention to the first part of your post.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #869
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Bale trimmed down a bit for the sequels (thinnest was TDK), but he was still very cut and it was obvious that he trained for the part. To me Bruce just needs to have an athlete's physique, not necessarily a body-builder/pro-wrestler look. I'm sure Affleck will be fine, we've already seen him in the suit, guy looks like a tank.
I would say Bale was never "very cut" as Batman at all. Even at his best shape in BB, he had below average definition compared to other superheroes.

The only time that Bale was "very cut" was in American Psycho.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #870
slumcat
Banned User

Quote:

Is that meant to be a generic pic of Clooney or a pic of Clooney as Batman?

Because that pic is not Clooney's Batman shape but a pic 13 years later from a movie called The American.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #871
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Sorry to change the subject all of a sudden, but I was thinking about something and was wondering what other batfans thought. It seems like this batman will be introduced without an origin story, so we don't have the advantage of seeing much of his life before he meets superman...

Do people want what happened to Bruce's parents to be addressed in BvS?

I know that anyone who knows anything about Batman would know that his parents were murdered, so it's not like it's a detail that you have to tell people because it's something obscure. Still, I think they should address it simply because it's such an important part of why batman is the way he is.

For those who want it addressed, how would you like it to be brought up? I would be fine with a few possibilities:

They could do a brief graveyard scene to show Bruce mourning them. Perhaps Alfred would be there as well for Bruce to talk to about it.

They could also use a flashback similar to a scene for the Arkham game trailer (perhaps this flashes in Bruce's mind as he fights a thug with a gun on the street trying to attack a family):

Or maybe batman tells supes about it and as he describes it, we see images on the screen. That's pretty similar to flashbacks though I suppose:

What do folks think?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #872
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Who were they? As far as I know, Bale fans have a lot more reasons than that.
Most do

But the ones that don't are like "He's the only good Batman because of his muscles" :P

I think Bale was a great Bruce with writing that limited him from being a truly great Batman. Affleck will have to work hard to have a believable Wayne, and I doubt he'll have this quality of film to work with.

That is to say, I think Bale's performance is largely considered as good as the films themselves, which I don't think is the case. He tried his hardest to make a simplistic representation of Batman in the suit interesting, but I think the Begins sequels have stories and villains that are more interesting than the character himself.

In the case of Batfleck, he could deliver a truly magnificent performance as Batman and he won't get that much credit if the film is garbage. Too many self-satisfied internet fanboys want every excuse they can have to hate Ben in the role. Hopefully this movie proves them wrong.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #873
regwec
Make Mine Marble

In a word, yes. This hasn't really been shown since Michael Keaton laid a pair of red roses on the ground in 1989. A brief allusion to the past would be all that is needed to say everything about the lingering effects on Bruce's psyche.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #874
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think slow-motion pearls falling would be enough. No need to have yet another 'rents on the ground scene.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #875
Travesty
TEOL

For some reasons, I think we'll see more Affleck in the Batsuit than him being Bruce Wayne.

Closed Thread