The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #851
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 17,347
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

I don't particularly want him to take his shirt off. And they'll be professional enough to say let's not if he's got a bit of gut and a nice set of moobs. There'll be a lot of things going on so we can do without the bat-striptease. Other than that it doesn't matter. He's got the right build naturally.

Eggyman is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #852
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24,981
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

http://www.superpunch.net/2014/05/le...-on-couch.html


__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #853
hafizbat
Wild Cherry
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,000
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't think it's as important as his 'personality'. That's all embracing. His body is just an emanation of that. We probably won't get a Daniel Craig style trunks scene, anyway.
I agree with that. My only point is that it's as valid a topic as any, and people don't need to be labeled anything for talking about it.

hafizbat is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #854
HUMANIMAL
...
 
HUMANIMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,264
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
hey!!! stop posting actual pictures of me....













Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________
LET'S PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!!

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #855
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,638
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Micheal Keaton was hardly the embodiment of male physical perfection. He was pretty slim, not especially muscular, and not especially tall. Did it stop us accepting him as a believeable Batman? No.



Same goes for George Clooney and Val Kilmer at the times. Good looking guys with decent physiques, but they certainly weren't ripped or hugely muscular.





It was only when Christian Bale came along that we got a Batman who was pretty muscular, and looked strong even without the suit - like he does in the comics.



However ........................... I agree that Batman's physical appearance should be something a bit more out of the ordinary than just an average slim guy; it's not critical to the role, but it certainly helps. He's obsessed with what he does, and that obsession should extend to his training regime. Even without training, he spends his nights doing hugely physical things - violent confrontations, swinging off rooftops, etc - all of that will have aided his physique in some way too.

With Snyder's particular interpretation of Batman in mind (older, seasoned), I don't think he needs to be cut and chiselled in the same way that Cavill is. Cavill's Superman is genetically perfect and that shows in his body. I think they should focus more on Batman just being big and solid, with real power behind his punches and kicks. I liked the approach in Rocky Balboa where he got back into boxing as an older man, and his trainer said he no longer had speed, or could run or spar like a young guy ......... but he had power, and they could rely on blunt-force-trauma. Batman isn't that old yet, but if he is seasoned and late 30s/approaching 40, he won't be as quick as when he was younger. Having more power balances that out.

I like the idea of approaching Batman in a similar way, where his aesthetic matches his physicality - he's not a sharply chiselled sculpture, more a big solid block of granite which blocks out the light! Affleck is tall, and broad, which is a great start ........... and as long as he can pack on muscle and size (which he looks to have been doing) I wouldn't particularly care if he has a visible six-pack or if we see him shirtless at all. He will look powerful, which is all that's needed for this Batman.


Last edited by elgaz; 06-12-2014 at 06:05 AM.
elgaz is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #856
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,638
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

On that note, this is a great read about Batman's physique in comics/movies over the years

http://gothamalleys.blogspot.ie/2011...ppearance.html

elgaz is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #857
LordofhouseEl
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,231
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

..............................................

LordofhouseEl is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #858
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 4,014
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #859
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 22,041
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

I'll agree that Bale looked big in BB, but for the others, he seemed pretty skinny.

But for me, I don't really care, as long as he looks good in the Batsuit and as Bruce Wayne. I haven't had a problem with any of the actors playing Batman, cause they all looked fine as both.

Travesty is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #860
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,638
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

I always thought Clooney had the perfect comic-book Bruce Wayne face, just a pity it was a stinker of a movie and he didn't complete the look by bulking up a little.

elgaz is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #861
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,374
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'll agree that Bale looked big in BB, but for the others, he seemed pretty skinny.

But for me, I don't really care, as long as he looks good in the Batsuit and as Bruce Wayne. I haven't had a problem with any of the actors playing Batman, cause they all looked fine as both.
I think Affleck being ripped is perfect punishment for those who like Bale ONLY because he was muscular

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #862
Kane52630
Crescendolls User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York Subway
Posts: 90,453
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post

__________________
Your Eyes | Trevor Something
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #863
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,404
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Bale trimmed down a bit for the sequels (thinnest was TDK), but he was still very cut and it was obvious that he trained for the part. To me Bruce just needs to have an athlete's physique, not necessarily a body-builder/pro-wrestler look. I'm sure Affleck will be fine, we've already seen him in the suit, guy looks like a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think Affleck being ripped is perfect punishment for those who like Bale ONLY because he was muscular
Those people exist?

BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #864
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 15,180
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Bale was in no way skinny in the 2nd and 3rd film. His face was thinner, which made people think he was skinny.

__________________
Don't be ashamed of the source material when making your adaption. EMBRACE it.
Brian Braddock is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #865
hafizbat
Wild Cherry
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,000
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Micheal Keaton was hardly the embodiment of male physical perfection. He was pretty slim, not especially muscular, and not especially tall. Did it stop us accepting him as a believeable Batman? No.



Same goes for George Clooney and Val Kilmer at the times. Good looking guys with decent physiques, but they certainly weren't ripped or hugely muscular.





It was only when Christian Bale came along that we got a Batman who was pretty muscular, and looked strong even without the suit - like he does in the comics.



However ........................... I agree that Batman's physical appearance should be something a bit more out of the ordinary than just an average slim guy; it's not critical to the role, but it certainly helps. He's obsessed with what he does, and that obsession should extend to his training regime. Even without training, he spends his nights doing hugely physical things - violent confrontations, swinging off rooftops, etc - all of that will have aided his physique in some way too.

With Snyder's particular interpretation of Batman in mind (older, seasoned), I don't think he needs to be cut and chiselled in the same way that Cavill is. Cavill's Superman is genetically perfect and that shows in his body. I think they should focus more on Batman just being big and solid, with real power behind his punches and kicks. I liked the approach in Rocky Balboa where he got back into boxing as an older man, and his trainer said he no longer had speed, or could run or spar like a young guy ......... but he had power, and they could rely on blunt-force-trauma. Batman isn't that old yet, but if he is seasoned and late 30s/approaching 40, he won't be as quick as when he was younger. Having more power balances that out.

I like the idea of approaching Batman in a similar way, where his aesthetic matches his physicality - he's not a sharply chiselled sculpture, more a big solid block of granite which blocks out the light! Affleck is tall, and broad, which is a great start ........... and as long as he can pack on muscle and size (which he looks to have been doing) I wouldn't particularly care if he has a visible six-pack or if we see him shirtless at all. He will look powerful, which is all that's needed for this Batman.
It's not about whether we can accept him as Batman or not. Sure we can. We've also accepted ugly black rubber suits where he can't turn his head.

It's about hoping for the best possible Batman and the pics you posted do not cut it. At all. Not when all the other superhero actors have put in the work to have great, aesthetic physiques which are part of the character. Especially considering that Affleck's co-star made a huge impact (his shirtless scene was probably one of the most publicized things about MoS) with his physique.

It's not wrong to hope that Affleck gets in great shape, just as we all hoped the Batsuit would be comic accurate.

hafizbat is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #866
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 12,337
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think Affleck being ripped is perfect punishment for those who like Bale ONLY because he was muscular
Who were they? As far as I know, Bale fans have a lot more reasons than that.

__________________
"Somewhere in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down…" - Grant Morrison.
MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #867
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,638
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
It's not about whether we can accept him as Batman or not. Sure we can. We've also accepted ugly black rubber suits where he can't turn his head.

It's about hoping for the best possible Batman and the pics you posted do not cut it. At all. Not when all the other superhero actors have put in the work to have great, aesthetic physiques which are part of the character. Especially considering that Affleck's co-star made a huge impact (his shirtless scene was probably one of the most publicized things about MoS) with his physique.

It's not wrong to hope that Affleck gets in great shape, just as we all hoped the Batsuit would be comic accurate.
Did you read my text below the photos? I agree . I just don't think that Affleck needs to be as insanely chiselled as Cavill was, for the very reasons I stated.

elgaz is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #868
hafizbat
Wild Cherry
 
hafizbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,000
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Did you read my text below the photos? I agree . I just don't think that Affleck needs to be as insanely chiselled as Cavill was, for the very reasons I stated.
Haha not closely enough. Looks like we're on the same page. You make a great point about the difference between Batman and Superman's physiques, and I agree.

I apologize for only paying attention to the first part of your post.

hafizbat is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #869
slumcat
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,912
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Bale trimmed down a bit for the sequels (thinnest was TDK), but he was still very cut and it was obvious that he trained for the part. To me Bruce just needs to have an athlete's physique, not necessarily a body-builder/pro-wrestler look. I'm sure Affleck will be fine, we've already seen him in the suit, guy looks like a tank.
I would say Bale was never "very cut" as Batman at all. Even at his best shape in BB, he had below average definition compared to other superheroes.

The only time that Bale was "very cut" was in American Psycho.

slumcat is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #870
slumcat
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,912
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Micheal Keaton was hardly the embodiment of male physical perfection. He was pretty slim, not especially muscular, and not especially tall. Did it stop us accepting him as a believeable Batman? No.



Same goes for George Clooney and Val Kilmer at the times. Good looking guys with decent physiques, but they certainly weren't ripped or hugely muscular.





It was only when Christian Bale came along that we got a Batman who was pretty muscular, and looked strong even without the suit - like he does in the comics.



However ........................... I agree that Batman's physical appearance should be something a bit more out of the ordinary than just an average slim guy; it's not critical to the role, but it certainly helps. He's obsessed with what he does, and that obsession should extend to his training regime. Even without training, he spends his nights doing hugely physical things - violent confrontations, swinging off rooftops, etc - all of that will have aided his physique in some way too.

With Snyder's particular interpretation of Batman in mind (older, seasoned), I don't think he needs to be cut and chiselled in the same way that Cavill is. Cavill's Superman is genetically perfect and that shows in his body. I think they should focus more on Batman just being big and solid, with real power behind his punches and kicks. I liked the approach in Rocky Balboa where he got back into boxing as an older man, and his trainer said he no longer had speed, or could run or spar like a young guy ......... but he had power, and they could rely on blunt-force-trauma. Batman isn't that old yet, but if he is seasoned and late 30s/approaching 40, he won't be as quick as when he was younger. Having more power balances that out.

I like the idea of approaching Batman in a similar way, where his aesthetic matches his physicality - he's not a sharply chiselled sculpture, more a big solid block of granite which blocks out the light! Affleck is tall, and broad, which is a great start ........... and as long as he can pack on muscle and size (which he looks to have been doing) I wouldn't particularly care if he has a visible six-pack or if we see him shirtless at all. He will look powerful, which is all that's needed for this Batman.
Is that meant to be a generic pic of Clooney or a pic of Clooney as Batman?

Because that pic is not Clooney's Batman shape but a pic 13 years later from a movie called The American.

slumcat is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #871
MrsKent26
Whatever.
 
MrsKent26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 12,337
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Sorry to change the subject all of a sudden, but I was thinking about something and was wondering what other batfans thought. It seems like this batman will be introduced without an origin story, so we don't have the advantage of seeing much of his life before he meets superman...

Do people want what happened to Bruce's parents to be addressed in BvS?

I know that anyone who knows anything about Batman would know that his parents were murdered, so it's not like it's a detail that you have to tell people because it's something obscure. Still, I think they should address it simply because it's such an important part of why batman is the way he is.

For those who want it addressed, how would you like it to be brought up? I would be fine with a few possibilities:

They could do a brief graveyard scene to show Bruce mourning them. Perhaps Alfred would be there as well for Bruce to talk to about it.



They could also use a flashback similar to a scene for the Arkham game trailer (perhaps this flashes in Bruce's mind as he fights a thug with a gun on the street trying to attack a family):




Or maybe batman tells supes about it and as he describes it, we see images on the screen. That's pretty similar to flashbacks though I suppose:



What do folks think?

__________________
"Somewhere in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down…" - Grant Morrison.
MrsKent26 is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #872
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,374
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Who were they? As far as I know, Bale fans have a lot more reasons than that.
Most do

But the ones that don't are like "He's the only good Batman because of his muscles" :P

I think Bale was a great Bruce with writing that limited him from being a truly great Batman. Affleck will have to work hard to have a believable Wayne, and I doubt he'll have this quality of film to work with.

That is to say, I think Bale's performance is largely considered as good as the films themselves, which I don't think is the case. He tried his hardest to make a simplistic representation of Batman in the suit interesting, but I think the Begins sequels have stories and villains that are more interesting than the character himself.

In the case of Batfleck, he could deliver a truly magnificent performance as Batman and he won't get that much credit if the film is garbage. Too many self-satisfied internet fanboys want every excuse they can have to hate Ben in the role. Hopefully this movie proves them wrong.

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #873
regwec
Make Mine Marble
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Perfidious Albion
Posts: 28,492
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

In a word, yes. This hasn't really been shown since Michael Keaton laid a pair of red roses on the ground in 1989. A brief allusion to the past would be all that is needed to say everything about the lingering effects on Bruce's psyche.

__________________
"Myth and high culture have much in common. Each is concerned to idealise the human condition, to lift it free from contingencies". - Sir Roger Scruton
Love Freedom?
PENCE 2018
regwec is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #874
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,374
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

^ I think slow-motion pearls falling would be enough. No need to have yet another 'rents on the ground scene.

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #875
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 22,041
Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

For some reasons, I think we'll see more Affleck in the Batsuit than him being Bruce Wayne.

Travesty is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.