The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #451
Resistance61513
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: The Game - Part 2

I feel you guys are looking at the "choice system" in the wrong light. You guys are talking about a moral choice system. Or a karma system as it is referred to in inFAMOUS. That's not what I recommend a developer implements into a Spider-Man game.

As a few have stated, Web of Shadows is a prime example on why not to incorporate a choice system. I guess a better word to describe this theoretical game mechanic would be "consequence" system. Spider-Man is a complex hero. As many have stated, he ALWAYS tries to do the right thing. He pushes his body to limits in order to try and please everyone.

He faces difficult decisions every time he dons the mask. While not a good example, think Raimi's film Spider-Man 1. He had to choose between the Tram car full of children or Mary Jane. He didn't choose one or the other like a karma system. A karma system is always black and white. I want a system where the player is challenged to try and complete every objective thrown at them.

There are definitely consequences when Spider-Man goes out and crime fights. Stray bullets, debris falling on civilians... the list goes on and on. I just think it would be a nice dynamic to include in the encounters with various villains and thugs. It would add tension to the gameplay and be a nice change of pace.

I mean, I guess they could take this consequence system further and develop a story with various branches. To an extent, that would be nice. It would definitely add a nice coat of replay value to the experience.

For instance, if playing the story, say you're chasing the Lizard. He manages to get away. Instead of giving the player the "Game over. Try again screen", the story changes itself based on the players success. Kind of like Heavy Rain which, in my opinion, did the choice system/tree branch story line absolutely brilliantly.

I feel video games nowadays are too forgiving. They hand hold the player so much because they are catering to a casual market most of the time. Not saying that a Spider-Man game should be designed for a hardcore market but...I do feel they could definitely adapt some of the features seen in various hardcore games.

As I said before, Heavy Rain is an unforgiving game. You make a mistake, it changes the overall experience. You kill a character, they are gone for the rest of the playtime. It was a brilliant/ballsy mechanic to incorporate in the game. However, it added tension and emotion to the overall experience. Something I feel would be awesome to have in a Spider-Man game. Spidey often has tragic story lines. He doesn't do the right thing 100% of the time. Even though he is a super hero, he is still essentially human at his core.

That was one of the draws many people had to the character back when he debuted in 1962. No other hero had "problems". No other hero was ever forced to make difficult decisions. Essentially one of you guys posted "If we had to make choices, that would take away from the fact that we're a super hero." Being a super hero doesn't necessarily mean you're always going to do the "right" thing when tasked with difficult decisions. As I said before, that's something that has been apparent through out the Spider-Man's mythos.

Going back to the Lizard scenario, the game moves on essentially after you lose him. Taking a page from The Amazing Spider-Man video game, say the twitter feed in Peters room would get updated. Because The Lizard got away, several civilians were later killed that day. I just feel it would offer some gravity to the overall experience. And then, when you play the game again, you can push yourself to essentially do better.

And I'm hoping this post doesn't come off forceful. I'm simply just trying to elaborate on the mechanic I've proposed. I'm not saying it's the right or wrong thing. Essentially, I just feel it would add something to the overall experience. It's something we haven't seen before in a Spider-Man game.

In the past, all Spider-Man games have been a pretty linear experience. They have a binary mindset. A zero or one mentality. You either are successful or you fail. Spider-Man isn't successful every time he puts on the mask. Why not reflect that aspect in the games?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #452
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Dee Brown just confirmed via Twitter that the bonus costumes will NOT use the utility belt.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #453
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
New Game+? Choose level? Available?

Cool feature, what about exterior missions? Where can one restart them from?

I didn't see them, which costumes are those he spoke of?

Cool additions, still, I wish I could web them to light poles

Various indicators or only one? Dodging and counter or dodging alone?

So that means no "in game upgrade for swinging"?
Dee didn't mention anything about New Game+ or being able to choos a specific level within each mission. Nothing was mentioned about the exterior missions. He didn't say which costumes from previous games will be used, only that some of the costumes in TASM are ones they used in SD/EoT and some will be suits not used yet. Yeah, I'll miss the light pole webbing but the other stuff sounds pretty neat. Dee didn't go into detail about the spider sense and if there were different indicators for countering and dodging. And, he did say that there will be NO swinging upgrades...you basically have Spidey at his maxed out web swinging ability from the get-go.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #454
NasFiasco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Dee didn't mention anything about New Game+ or being able to choos a specific level within each mission. Nothing was mentioned about the exterior missions. He didn't say which costumes from previous games will be used, only that some of the costumes in TASM are ones they used in SD/EoT and some will be suits not used yet. Yeah, I'll miss the light pole webbing but the other stuff sounds pretty neat. Dee didn't go into detail about the spider sense and if there were different indicators for countering and dodging. And, he did say that there will be NO swinging upgrades...you basically have Spidey at his maxed out web swinging ability from the get-go.
Kinda sux, I loved that about SP2 and web of shadows, but at least the web rush is upgradeable.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #455
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Starting the game at maximum swinging speed is a plus

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #456
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Why would you need to upgrade web swinging if it's designed well enough from the beginning anyway? It's not like Batman Arkham City let you upgrade your gliding handling or climbing speed or anything. Apart from the Grapnel boost, you have everything from the get go.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #457
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasFiasco View Post
Kinda sux, I loved that about SP2 and web of shadows, but at least the web rush is upgradeable.
Yup and we get to upgrade the web shooters too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Why would you need to upgrade web swinging if it's designed well enough from the beginning anyway? It's not like Batman Arkham City let you upgrade your gliding handling or climbing speed or anything. Apart from the Grapnel boost, you have everything from the get go.
I agree.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #458
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I would actually like being able to upgrade the web swinging skills. I like that rewarding feeling of progression.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #459
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I would actually like being able to upgrade the web swinging skills. I like that rewarding feeling of progression.
There'll be others to upgrade, it just doesnt make a lot of sense to upgrade your swinging. I mean does Spidey suddenly learn to control gravity? I think the only thing that needs to be upgradeable are the web shooters.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #460
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

It's not like there won't be other things to upgrade. Like, would a character ever need to upgrade their 'walking' skills, just for the sake of imitating progression? If the game is designed well, you will feel like Spidey and indeed a superhero through and through, THAT should be what matters, not what little artificial trimmings get added on.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #461
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Yeah I agree, I still thought however that it was fun to upgrade it in SM2

Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #462
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

It was just a superficial trimming. Spend points to unlock gradual speed boosts? Why not just have full speed for the beginning and save the point spending for genuinely unique abilities?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #463
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Because you get a good feeling of "yes I finally got it!!", at least I do.

However you do have a valid point, upgrading web swinging doesn't make much sense, so I'm perfectly fine with it being "maximized" from the get go.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #464
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Even though I don’t like the lack of a belt in the movie, I hate the belt in the game and feel like it is way too much of a change for something as simple as a quick animation for reloading the web shooters. I don’t think the belt is needed here, for just as an explanation for a few seconds of reloading animation, the justification for the belt’s addition isn’t enough, IMO.

That being said, I kinda wish we actually had to control reloading the webshooters. Make it a quick little mini-game (think an extremely shortened version of the defibrillator in Rage, or the little reloading thing from Gears of War)…that for me would be justification.

Say you’re swinging through the city and you run out of webbing. As you’re falling, you have to hit a quick combination of buttons with the correct timing to activate the “reload” animation. If we get it wrong, the reloading process takes longer, which, in case of it happening while swinging, could result in a fatal fall.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #465
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
Even though I don’t like the lack of a belt in the movie, I hate the belt in the game and feel like it is way too much of a change for something as simple as a quick animation for reloading the web shooters. I don’t think the belt is needed here, for just as an explanation for a few seconds of reloading animation, the justification for the belt’s addition isn’t enough, IMO.
From whats been said, the belt came from Marvel. They asked for its inclusion.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #466
20glyphs
Side-Kick

I liked the feeling of progression and accomplishment in the swinging speed upgrade system, but I don't think I'll miss it much. Once I reached the top speed, it was hard to ever go back to the starting speed on subsequent playthroughs.

The only thing about upgrading that makes sense is to be able to shoot longer weblines that let you pick up more speed over a longer swinging arc. I believe that's what SM2's system did. Dee's comments don't completely rule out an upgrade to the web shooters being the ability to shoot longer weblines, but that remains to be seen and is probably doubtful. I think I may prefer having access to the top swing speed at the start of the game though.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #467
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
From whats been said, the belt came from Marvel. They asked for its inclusion.
Didn't Sony studios say that?

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #468
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Didn't Sony studios say that?
Maybe it was, either way, that decision came from above Beenox and Activision. Be it Marvel or Sony.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #469
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

I guess no one saw this post I made concerning the utility belt.

Quote:
Dee Brown just confirmed via Twitter that the bonus costumes will NOT use the utility belt.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #470
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Nice reminder of a nice thing

YOUTUBE

Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #471
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Nice reminder of a nice thing
Well it's definitely a plus to those that either don't like the movie suit and/or don't like the look of the utility belt.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #472
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I guess no one saw this post I made concerning the utility belt.
I never assumed they would. Why would their alt costume incorporate the belt from the movie version. Im sure their alts will be as comic close as they can.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #473
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Was this article posted? Doesnt really tell us anything new. States that Activision didn't comment on a possible PC version and the individual looking at the game didn't find it very impressive visually. Obviously the city doesnt look or feel as good as say a GTA IV. Everything else we've heard before.

Quote:
There's good reason to be skeptical of The Amazing Spider-Man. Because it's a licensed movie game, it inherently draws suspicion. But there's even more reason for doubt: it comes from Beenox, whose last game (Spider-Man: Edge of Time), was critically panned. Even worse: this game comes mere months after the release of the last game--and is far more ambitious to boot. So how are we supposed to expect that this new release from Activision isn't just a cash cow?

By throwing Edge of Time under a bus, of course.

An Activision rep tells us that The Amazing Spider-Man has been in development for over two years. Although the Beenox name has been attached to every Spider-Man game since the franchise was annualized by Activision, there are two teams at the studio. Once development on the relatively well-received Shattered Dimensions was wrapped up, that team (lovingly nicknamed the "Amazing" team) moved on to start working on The Amazing Spider-Man. However, with Edge of Time also shipped, "pretty much everyone" at Beenox is working on finishing the game before its planned June release.

With that in mind, maybe there is some hope for the game. And based on an early hands-off demo I attended recently, I'll say that Beenox has a chance of doing right by gamers.

As with most recent movie adapted games, the game is not a direct translation of the events of the movie. In fact, it takes place after the movie, which affords Beenox the ability to introduce additional villains from the Marvel universe, such as The Rhino. The developers are quite pleased with this, as it tasks them with the responsibility of crafting new origin stories for these characters for the rebooted franchise.

Obviously, the biggest draw of The Amazing Spider-Man has to be the ability to free-roam in Manhattan, a feature that's been long-missing in Spider-Man games. The entire city island is available from the beginning of the game (but don't try to go to the outer boroughs--Spider-Man won't let you). It's a decent recreation of the city, with iconic landmarks and locations scattered throughout--but it's still no Grand Theft Auto IV. The city feels less detailed and less "alive."

In addition to a number of collectibles scattered throughout the environment, there will be side missions that pop up whilst swinging through the city. For example, one mini-game has you chasing an escaping vehicle. You must stop the car by landing on its hood and webbing it before it can reach one of the bridges out of town.

While the open world will be a much-appreciated return to form, Beenox is changing up many of the core gameplay elements to make Amazing feel drastically different from previous games. Taking a page from the Batman: Arkham series, the camera is pulled much closer to the character. Combat, for example, looks to be a direct rip of Rocksteady's "FreeFlow" system, where you can easily move from enemy to enemy. Given the success of the Arkham games, that's certainly not a bad model to follow.

In fact, moving around the environment can seem reminiscent of the Arkham games. Stealth is heavily encouraged, and in one sequence I saw, I saw Spider-Man jumping from corner to corner, performing stealth takedowns on unassuming thugs. Through a feature called "Web Rush," Spider-Man can slow down time and scan his environment for interactive objects, such as explosive gas canisters and heavy things that can fall on enemies. Essentially, you too can be swinging around, scaring your enemies for fun.

Web Rush is undoubtedly Beenox's greatest innovation with The Amazing Spider-Man, and it certainly shows a lot of potential, especially outside of combat. When navigating the environment (indoor or outdoor), Web Rush activates a cursor which shows a silhouette of what Spider-Man will do at the pointed spot. No matter where you aim, the game will figure out a way to navigate you to that point "in a way that only Spider-Man can do." For example, you can point at the side of a building, and Spider-Man will swing, run atop a moving bus, jump onto a streetlight, and land on the building. The animation is always dynamically generated, and is definitely impressive.

Without getting hands-on time with the game, it's impossible to gauge if Beenox's latest effort plays well. There's certainly a number of good ideas; Web Rush being only one example. Another nice touch I appreciated: a fake Twitter feed that appears during loading screens. In addition to the typical inane comments you're bound to see online, you'll see how civilians are responding to your actions. It's a cute touch that makes you feel like a greater part of a living world. However, there were still some clear issues with the game: the visuals are rather disappointing, and the dynamically generated Web Rush animations looked a bit unnatural at times.

The Amazing Spider-Man will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360 on June 26th. Activision offered a "no comment" about a possible PC release.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/733...er-man-preview

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #474
Alchemyst
July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post

That being said, I kinda wish we actually had to control reloading the webshooters. Make it a quick little mini-game (think an extremely shortened version of the defibrillator in Rage, or the little reloading thing from Gears of War)…that for me would be justification.

Say you’re swinging through the city and you run out of webbing. As you’re falling, you have to hit a quick combination of buttons with the correct timing to activate the “reload” animation. If we get it wrong, the reloading process takes longer, which, in case of it happening while swinging, could result in a fatal fall.
I like the fact that they are adding an animation for him reloading cartridges, IMO it adds a sense of danger if you happen to be freefalling. I'm sure he'll have different animations to accompany whatever situation he's in. It also sounds like one of those things that may happen automatically, it would be kinda dumb to give Spidey an Active reload like Gears of War, sure would be nice if we had a gameplay video to see exactly how they incorporate that mechanic

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #475
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

It's going to be automatic. Why would an manual reload mechanic be dumb? Do you find the fact that you have to manually reload weapons in fps games dumb? I personally think it'd be a cool feature...

Closed Thread