The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #676
Kane52630
Joker Got Away

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old 08-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #677
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebomb View Post
Tommy Wiseau! This has got to be the post of the day!
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=533237

I beg to differ.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #678
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequinade View Post
For the last time it was here on the Hype and I imagine on other places Snyder fanboys post too. He said WW board.
LOL. No need to get upset. And seriously, I haven't seen "Snyder fanboys" anywhere try to take Patty down a few notches. If all of five guys "on the Hype" did it, that means zip to me.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #679
harlequinade
Little Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Man View Post
LOL. No need to get upset. And seriously, I haven't seen "Snyder fanboys" anywhere try to take Patty down a few notches. If all of five guys "on the Hype" did it, that means zip to me.
I mean come on, we pointed out the place. I'd be more than happy to find the posts but there are too many to go through

Last edited by harlequinade; 08-12-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #680
Timebomb
Side-Kick

Quote:
I stand corrected.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #681
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
It does feel like a massive anti-climax. If even half of these rumors are true it's proof that Snyder just pulled a BvS again.

After BvS we kept getting these quotes that JL was "naturally going to be lighter" from WB execs, Snyder, Affleck. If that's the case, why the **** would they need reshoots to make it lighter? Wasn't that the original plan?
Its is because with someone like Snyder, his lighter is different to most others take. It is so clear. He doesn't get these characters, their world, at all. With MoS he had a leash. Once that was gone, look at the results.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #682
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I think she only has one try-to-look-angry face.

It doesn't work for her. Why her being a completely different character in WW worked so well.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #683
Patchwork Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean come on, we pointed out the place. I'd be more than happy to find the posts but there are too many to go through
Well, if you don't want to produce any examples, that's your problem. Saying it was "on the Hype" is like saying "I saw it on Twitter, I saw it on Screen Rant, I saw it scratched in the tile next to the urinal."

Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #684
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
It does feel like a massive anti-climax. If even half of these rumors are true it's proof that Snyder just pulled a BvS again.

After BvS we kept getting these quotes that JL was "naturally going to be lighter" from WB execs, Snyder, Affleck. If that's the case, why the **** would they need reshoots to make it lighter? Wasn't that the original plan?
It is entirely possible that Snyder's interpretation of 'lighter' isn't quite as uplifting and positive as what everyone else's interpretation is. I think the main issue is that Snyder's style is at odds with the idea of championing positive themes. He likes desaturated and high contrasting images, and prefers ideas that delve into the darker side of who people are. That just doesn't mesh with these type of characters. Snyder might have liked these characters a lot, but I don't think he's ever really known how to portray them positively. If I was to hazard a guess at what's happened, Snyder tried to make a more uplifting movie with lots of WB oversight, and when it became abundantly clear it wasn't working Whedon was brought in. Coupled with the changes they were making on the fly and it's not hard to see how we got to where we are.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #685
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Man View Post
Where were these early reviews? Everything I read contained accolades for Patty.

Zack deserves some, too. He cast Gal, and everyone dumped on him — and Gal.

In fact, I recall a lot of dumping on Gal in this thread re: her acting ability, or lack thereof. Of course, that all changed once the movie came out.
Shows you how bad a director Snyder can be. He made a decent actor look crap. He took someone who should be inspiring, earnest and hopeful, and made them play dourer, because that is all he has.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 AM   #686
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

The "dumping" on her acting ability was completely justified, IMO. Wonder Woman is the first movie where I liked her acting.

Aziz
Old 08-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #687
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"

Gal Gadot's acting was always bad, Patty Jenkins just found a way to work around it but she's still a liability. Gadot only worked well on the comedic scenes like the baby moment, she fell flat on all the others and was lucky to have Chris Pine there to support her.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #688
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am the knight View Post
i see.

lol!

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #689
CaptainWagner
Bob Newby: Superhero

And now we're back again to complaining about Gadot's acting.... How many times does she have to receive universal acclaim in this part before people finally shut up about her being a so-called "liability"?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #690
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-Oh View Post
Gal Gadot's acting was always bad, Patty Jenkins just found a way to work around it but she's still a liability.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #691
Timebomb
Side-Kick

Look, I'll eat crow about Gal in WW. I thought she was going to be a trainwreck, but she was decent. I mean look at her body of work and the trailers didn't do her any favors. Jenkins found a way to make it all work but let's not start thinking she is the second coming.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #692
Kane52630
Joker Got Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-Oh View Post
Gal Gadot's acting was always bad, Patty Jenkins just found a way to work around it but she's still a liability. Gadot only worked well on the comedic scenes like the baby moment, she fell flat on all the others and was lucky to have Chris Pine there to support her.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #693
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
And now we're back again to complaining about Gadot's acting.... How many times does she have to receive universal acclaim in this part before people finally shut up about her being a so-called "liability"?
I will say she got a lot of help from Jenkins who is a much better director than Snyder and probably guided her along, plus from Pine who she had great chemistry with and who could help carry the picture. But yes, it does seem odd people are still ragging on her as a liability if she already proved, for whatever reasons, she can carry a whole movie. In this case, it would seem the problem is not Gal but, uh, someone else.... Not going to say who, but I think we all could wager a guess.

--John Adams
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #694
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

When it comes to Gal in WW too many mistake competence for excellence. Which goes for the movie as a whole as well.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #695
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Gadot's lesser acting is clearly Ares' doing

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #696
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Cavill is the one who has suffered from Snyder the most.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #697
Johnny-Oh
"You got heart, kid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
She played a well written character in a good movie and it seems like a lot of people have trouble separating that from her actual performance. She is a liability because she has to heavily rely on good direction to give a serviceable performance. It's not like they have any other choice now anyway but it would have been much easier to simply cast a better actress.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #698
DOBSON10
Custom User Title

Considering her background, I thought Gal did very well for this being her first feature film in a leading role. As far as I know she didn't go to some fancy acting school or work her way up through plays/smaller movies. She kind of fell into acting because she's ridiculously gorgeous. In terms of acting experience she's more like a 20 year old actress trying to work her way up, she just happened to land a big time role early.

I'd say she was solid overall in Wonder Woman, which is about what you would hope for coming from an actress with little experience. Obviously she has a great deal of improving to do but this is a great start. I was very skeptical when she was cast and she didn't blow me away, but she won me over enough to not complain about her performance.

Favorite Marvel Superhero's:
1. Wolverine 2. Spider-Man 3. Iron Man 4. Deadpool 5. Punisher
Old 08-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #699
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

I suspect her bad acting will stand out again in JL, without a whole movie written around her strengths and weaknesses. That's what makes her a liability. Compare that to a solid actor like Affleck who did fine even with atrocious writing in BVS.

I just don't see anything in Gadot that justifies them choosing a lesser actress. Going off looks alone isn't good enough, imo. Someone on the caliber of Scarjo as Black Widow would have been better. She's never been the focus of any movie yet has been developed very well and was an excellent character especially in TA and TWS. She's actually a strength and brings something to the movie whereas Gadot needs to be handled very carefully so her weaknesses don't stand out.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #700
Frankeh
Side-Kick

Nah, Gadot was great in WW, she may not be a great actress but she nailed that role, and she is certainly better than dour Affleck and Cavill mugging the screen in BvS.

Closed Thread