The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: In Which film(s) does Batman actually steal the show?
Batman: The Movie 15 23.08%
Batman 13 20.00%
Batman Returns 3 4.62%
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 24 36.92%
Batman Forever 8 12.31%
Batman & Robin 2 3.08%
Batman Begins 49 75.38%
The Dark Knight 6 9.23%
The Dark Knight Rises 11 16.92%
Batman V Superman 8 12.31%
The Lego Batman Movie 23 35.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2018, 04:39 AM   #51
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: In which film(s) was Batman actually the highlight of the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Bullock View Post
But c'mon, I know that comic fans tend to think that Batman is one of the most "interesting" and deep characters when in fact, if you are honest, he is pretty much a non-entity in most stories.
I am being honest and Batman is in fact one of the most interesting characters in comics.

The idea that he is a non entity in most of his stories is utterly silly and there isn't much "honesty" or "fact" in that.

Last edited by The Batman; 02-19-2018 at 04:43 AM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #52
80s Bullock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I am being honest and Batman is in fact one of the most interesting characters in comics.

The idea that he is a non entity in most of his stories is utterly silly and there isn't much "honesty" or "fact" in that.
Then name those stories.

80s Bullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #53
The Batman
The Dark Knight

First name some stories where he's a non entity. I'm curious.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #54
80s Bullock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
First name some stories where he's a non entity. I'm curious.
The Long Halloween, e.g.?

Don't take non-entity too literally. He's pretty much there, fights crime, and done. Not much comes from his personality even in his most famous stories. The only thing most authors come up is something related to his parents and sometime that people close to him got hurt at some point. Duh. Rest of the time he's brooding or playing pretend playboy. One-dimensional to the core.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #55
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

Don't take non-entity too literally. He's pretty much there, fights crime, and done.
Fair enough, I did take that in the more literal sense.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #56
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Browman View Post
Read it just fine.

You said none of the other scenes are as good as the big Joker scenes, says who? You do know that some people find the end scene to be the best of the movie. It's obviously not the majority but there are people who enjoy the non Joker scenes the most.
You believe, as I do, that Batman isn't the best thing about that movie.

I don't know why you're arguing with me.

Yes there are some cool scenes involving Batman as well, still doesn't change that fact.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #57
Strong Browman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
You believe, as I do, that Batman isn't the best thing about that movie.

I don't know why you're arguing with me.

Yes there are some cool scenes involving Batman as well, still doesn't change that fact.
Who's arguing? I'm just saying it's not a case closed fact that someone must find the big Joker scenes to be the best part of the movie. You disagree so whatever.

Strong Browman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #58
Strong Browman
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd say Batman Begins, Bale is so young, enthusiastic and fresh here. Batman 66 because, well, Adam West is Adam West, charismatic as always and commanding. Kilmer isn't bad, but the look of the movie and the dumb villains ruin that. He would have killed it in Batman Begins. The other Batman appearances are a little bit "dull" to me. Bale is so stiff and generic in TDK and TDKR. Keaton is a waxfigure Batman. Clooney needs no words. Lego Batman and Mask of the Phantasm aren't live action movies so I don't consider them.

So yeah, 2.5 movies where Batman is a "highlight" of some sort. But c'mon, I know that comic fans tend to think that Batman is one of the most "interesting" and deep characters when in fact, if you are honest, he is pretty much a non-entity in most stories. There isn't really much authors tend to do, despite some variations of his origin and some psychological derp about his parents. He tends to rely entirely on his villains, great visuals, and good plots, but is hardly ever character-driven. So I'm saying, Batman getting overshadowed by his villains isn't really a fault of the movies per se.
LOL people say stuff like this about like 90% of heroes in fiction, "the villain was the best part" is practically a meme at this point. Just recently look at people saying Killmonger stole the show in Black Panther and that T'Challa himself was boring and overshadowed. Loki and Darth Vader were other villains who stole the show. A villain being more interesting doesn't however mean the hero themselves was boring.

Oh and let's not act like a lot of Batman villains are such deep characters either, being generically wacky and crazy isn't some deep Shakespearean character trait. Most comic book characters aren't really considered deep. The difference is the villains "fun wackinesss" distracts from that fact.

Strong Browman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #59
80s Bullock
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh and let's not act like a lot of Batman villains are such deep characters either, being generically wacky and crazy isn't some deep Shakespearean character trait. Most comic book characters aren't really considered deep. The difference is the villains "fun wackinesss" distracts from that fact.
Two-Face has a lot of potential that has barely been tapped into. He was wasted in Batman Forever (albeit the portrayal isn't THAT incorrect) and The Dark Knight. But yeah, Batman villains are a little bit overrated (and poorly defined).

Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #60
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
LOL people say stuff like this about like 90% of heroes in fiction, "the villain was the best part" is practically a meme at this point. Just recently look at people saying Killmonger stole the show in Black Panther and that T'Challa himself was boring and overshadowed. Loki and Darth Vader were other villains who stole the show. A villain being more interesting doesn't however mean the hero themselves was boring.