The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 06-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #276
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Default Re: Gabe has confirmed a new PC/Console being made by Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Is anyone here buying one of these? I haven't heard much about them for a while.
Steam Controller, Link, or Boxes? I was going to buy the controller, but opted for the Xbox One controller instead. I tried it out and it felt great in the hand, but had to keep in mind that you had to make your own configurations with it for many games at the time. I may get it in the future when they do a refresh (matte body with textured touchpads please). I don't believe I have a fast enough internet connection for the Link. I opted it would be cheaper to build my own Steam box and put Windows or Steam OS on it because the ones that have halfway decent specs were overpriced.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #277
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
If Valve is getting in the hardware business, why not make software for that hardware? Like a new Half-Life game that was announced 10 years ago?
I was always gonna buy the controller but I wanted the price to come down abit I'll be picking it up some time later. Imight wantto buy it with the steam link too . or I might do what Libida is doing. But I will be getting it. as to the games .....

Last edited by zenith16; 06-03-2016 at 10:38 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #278
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Steam Controller, Link, or Boxes? I was going to buy the controller, but opted for the Xbox One controller instead. I tried it out and it felt great in the hand, but had to keep in mind that you had to make your own configurations with it for many games at the time. I may get it in the future when they do a refresh (matte body with textured touchpads please). I don't believe I have a fast enough internet connection for the Link. I opted it would be cheaper to build my own Steam box and put Windows or Steam OS on it because the ones that have halfway decent specs were overpriced.
I was asking about the box(es). Seemed like they might have been competition for consoles in the early days of being announced but haven't heard much more about them since. The link thing isn't for me but the controller might be of interest if I hear good things about it.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #279
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was asking about the box(es). Seemed like they might have been competition for consoles in the early days of being announced but haven't heard much more about them since. The link thing isn't for me but the controller might be of interest if I hear good things about it.
the steam link is of some interest to me (so far). there other's that still haven't been put out on the market yet though. and I don't know they might be better. but til we hear more about them and their price.....

Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #280
Iceman
Infinity War!

My gaming pc will always be hooked up to a large TV or projector anyway so I won't need the link. I don't even have a monitor for it.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #281
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
My gaming pc will always be hooked up to a large TV or projector anyway so I won't need the link. I don't even have a monitor for it.
I might only use the link if I don't want us my pc access for it. and for those(buddies of mine) that don't want use my pc if they want to have couch experience which is what these are supposed to represent any ways

Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 AM   #282
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Well like a said they're overpriced for the performance they offer. Consumers are better off building their own rig for less money with similar performance.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #283
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Well like a said they're overpriced for the performance they offer. Consumers are better off building their own rig for less money with similar performance.
Thanks. I think I'm going to focus on gradually upgrading my gaming pc too.

Would like to hear opinions from anyone that does get the box though.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #284
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

There are some reviews on YouTube. LinusTechTips and other tech reviewers have reviewed some, primarily the Alienware Alpha.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #285
zenith16
Side-Kick

Steam Controller update will let you bind actions to double and long presses on buttons

22 hours ago

A new update has been released for Steam Controllers on the Steam Beta Client, introducing 'Activators', a new functionality that allows you to...
Read more

source: PCGamesN

Old 07-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #286
zenith16
Side-Kick

Alienware Steam Machine Falls to $375 Until Next Week. July 29, 2016 . 7:00pm

Console alternative? Alienware Steam Machine falls to $375 for the mid-range Core i5 unit. PC Gaming Summer Sales marches on with cheap Valkyria Chronicles and Resident Evil titles.
3 comments Read >
Quote:

When you think of an Alienware PC, images of an overpriced beast of a PC desktop probably fills your head. It’s the complete opposite with the Alienware Steam Machine (and its predecessor the Alienware Alpha).

Compact and light, it’s smaller than PS4 and now priced about what a PS4/Xbox used to cost on release: only $375 after coupon. This is a huge drop for the Core i5 mid-model Alienware Steam Machine at Dell. Originally, this gaming rig was listed at $650 earlier this year.

The deal on Alienware’s Steam Machine is valid as of writing through August 4th. Make sure during checkout you sign up for Dell’s Advantage Rewards program for extra perks. For the price of giving them your email address, you’ll get free two business day shipping (otherwise a $15 purchase) plus 5% back in reward points value.

If you need games to go along with your Alienware Steam Machine, there’s deals aplenty this week. The GMG 2016 PC Gaming Summer Sale has entered phase 6 of its sale. Starting earlier today at GMG we’re seeing a ton of deals on Resident Evil titles, including a new low on the Resident Evil Deluxe Origins Bundle. Another sale going on this week is the WinGameStore SEGA Summer Sale with $4.74 Valkyria Chronicles.

Note that the Steam Machine comes with SteamOS (in lieu of Windows), so your gaming pick will depend on titles that are compatible with the SteamOS/Linux platform (you can of course pick up an OEM copy of Windows 8 and just plop it into the system). Shipping is free and it of course comes with Valve’s Steam Controller.

Game deals brought to you by the crew at Dealzon. Disclaimer: sales from certain retailer help support Siliconera.

Read more stories about Alienware & PC on Siliconera.

source: Siliconera

More details in the articles it's self.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #287
zenith16
Side-Kick

Valve doubling office space to make room for more hats, presumably

11 hours ago
comments 1

Valve's hallowed offices in the Seattle suburb of Bellevue, Washington will soon be vacant as the gaming giant ups sticks and heads across town to...
Read more

Old 09-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #288
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Alienware apparently released the second iteration to the Alienware Alpha/Steam Machine with a GTX 960 desktop graphics.

Alienware Alpha R2

Old 10-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #289
zenith16
Side-Kick

Valve integrating Steam Link into Samsung TVs, new Vive controllers and more from Steam Dev Days

5 hours ago
Comments 1

Update October 12, 2016 22:00: Steam Dev Days has some hot controller news for you too as a new Vive controller is in development and Steam will...
Read more

also with

source: PCGamesN&GI

Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #290
zenith16
Side-Kick

two articles fro mthe same place.

Valve's internal PhD psychologist explains how they manipulate you via psychology

9 hours ago
comments 1

During the recent Steam Dev Days showcase in Seattle, Valve's internal PhD psychologist took to the stage and gave the audience some insight into...
Read more

Also with

Valve are making new VR games and will announce them at Steam Dev Days 2017

8 hours ago

Will 2017 be the year Valve finally count to three? It could well be, as they've said to expect some big software announcements from the company...
Read more

Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #291
zenith16
Side-Kick

Steam now officially supports PlayStation 4 controllers (no PowerGlove support planned)

15 hours ago
comments 1

Steam's support for the Sony PlayStation's controller, the DualShock 4, is now out of beta and all official.
Simon Miller courteously explains...

Read more

source:
PCGN

Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #292
zenith16
Side-Kick

Players Can Use a Controller for Any Steam Game Soon

Friday, January 6th, 2017
New beta Steam update allows you to map keyboard mouse inputs to a gamepad.Read more

Quote:
Friday, January 6th, 2017

Steam’s latest beta update has some interesting changes that could affect many players in a beneficial way. The update itself became available yesterday in Steam’s beta branch. The big news is that it will allow you to map keyboard and mouse controls to a gamepad, allowing you to use a gamepad even if the game doesn’t natively support it. This isn’t useful for all games as some titles are simply not well suited to playing using a gamepad.
The update supports the use of any generic XInput gamepad, as well as both XBox One and XBox 360 controllers. This functionality was already introduced for PS4 controllers back in 2016.
So when can you get your hands on this update? Well, unfortunately there is no information yet on when the update will be released to all Steam users. However, if you want to try the beta, you can do that by going to “Beta Participation” in the Steam Settings menu. You can also check out the patch notes for this update below:
Steam Client Beta Update Patch Notes (January 5)

General
  • Made the error clearer when you fail to install a game and don’t have enough disk space due to user quotas.
Big Picture
  • Added support for using the overlay keyboard for games that have launchers.
  • Improved display when running on retina enabled devices under macOS.
Linux
  • Improved interactions between the Steam runtime and host distribution libraries, which should let Steam work out of the box with open-source graphics drivers on modern distributions. If using an older distribution or running into problems, use STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0 to revert to previous behavior.
  • Unify close-to-tray behavior with other platforms. If using a distribution that doesn’t have proper compatible tray support, use STEAM_FRAME_FORCE_CLOSE=0.
  • Added idle detection; friend status will now automatically switch to Away/Snooze.
  • Fixed Steam not obeying SIGTERM, Steam will now gracefully exit when logging out of a session.
  • Fixed keyboard input and cursor switching in overlay for Vulkan applications.
  • Update Vulkan loader in the Steam runtime to enable Xlib support.
  • Updated libxcb in the runtime with a fix for DRI3-related crashes on open-source graphics drivers.
Steam Controller
  • Added Xbox 360, Xbox One, and generic X-Input controller configurator support. This allows all recognized controller types to use the advanced mapping features of the Steam Controller Configurator. Note that because X-Input currently lacks per-controller means of unique identification, all controllers of that type will share personalization and configuration settings. As they share the same inputs, Xbox 360/One/generic controllers will all see each-other’s configurations when browsing. Automatic conversion will be attempted when loading configurations from other controller types.
  • Unrecognized Generic X-Input gamepad style controllers will be recognized by the Steam Controller Configurator once their buttons have been assigned to match a generic gamepad layout.
  • Recommended configurations specified for a game by the developer will now attempt to assign based on Controller Type.
  • Added option to disable Guide Button issuing a Steam focus change. This is available through the Big Picture controller options menu. This allows better interoperability with other applications which use the Guide Button, such as PS Now.
  • Added Single Button simple button mode for trackpads. This allows a trackpad to be treated as a single giant button.
  • Fix for free-floating On Screen Keyboard running very slowly if a game was open but did not have focus or was running windowed.
  • Added independent horizontal/vertical scaling to joystick move and joystick mouse.
  • Joystick Move mode no longer shows mouse sensitivity option unless mouse output is selected.
  • Added additional support for third party PS4 controllers, including some HORI, MadCatz, and Armor pads and fight sticks.
  • Fixed a bug with PS4 triggers where they were being scaled incorrectly, leading to maxing out of the value too soon.
  • Added ability to change x-input controller order from the Controller Options menu–so in multi-controller setups of x-input games, the mapping of physical controller to x-input index can be swapped around. Note that this currently only applies to controllers that have opted into Steam Controller Configurator support.
  • Fixed Configurator Switch Controller interface not showing controller icons.
  • Re-enabled gamepad outputs for desktop configurations for users of third party programs which hook into applications via the desktop configuration.
Steam Overlay
  • Fixed incorrect colors in screenshots and In-Home Streaming for Vulkan applications on AMD hardware

SOURCE

source: Operation Rainfall

Old 01-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #293
zenith16
Side-Kick

Gabe Newell is doing an ‘Ask Me Anything’ on Reddit tomorrow - confirmed

9 hours ago
Comments 2

Gabe Newell, the co-founder and president of Valve and PC gaming cult icon, has agreed to do an AMA on ‘The Gaben’ subreddit tomorrow, January...
Read more

source: PCGN

Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #294
zenith16
Side-Kick

Industry
Valve still working on single-player games, and other interesting answers from the Gabe Newell Reddit AMA

Published 2 hours ago. 31 comments.
Quote:
"The number 3 must not be said."

Ads by Kiosked

Valve president and co-founder Gabe Newell did a Reddit AMA (ask me anything) on the /r/The_Gaben/ subreddit today.

Here are the most interesting answers we could dig up:
Does Valve plan on doing anything with Source 2 in the coming years? If so, what? (link)

Gabe Newell: “We are continuing to use Source 2 as our primary game development environment. Aside from moving Dota 2 to the engine recently, we are are using it as the foundation of some unannounced products. We would like to have everyone working on games here at Valve to eventually be using the same engine. We also intend to continue to make the Source 2 engine work available to the broad developer community as we go, and to make it available free of charge.”

Any chance of a new IP that takes place in the Half-Life / Portal universe? I feel like there’s a lot of story left to be explored there. Thanks! (link)

Newell: “Yep.”

Wasn’t there a movie (or a set of 2 movies) coming in that universe [Half-Life / Portal] by Valve and J.J. Abrams? (link)

Newell: “Yep. They’re coming.”

What is your personal favorite Valve game / series? (link)

Newell: “I think Portal 2 is our best single-player game. I play Dota 2 the most of our multiplayer games.
“The issue with Half-Life for me is that I was involved in a much higher percentage of the decisions about the games, so it’s hard for me to look at them as anything other than a series of things I regret. There’s no information in my response about what we’ll do in the future. It’s simply easier for me to be a fan of things that in which I was less directive.
“If you are involved in a game, everything ends up being a set of trade-offs. Anything in a game is a sacrifice of things not in the game. I just feel those more personally about Half-Life for a bunch of reasons.”

Are you planning on continuing the Left 4 Dead series? (link)

Newell: “Products are usually the result of an intersection of technology that we think has traction, a group of people who want to work on that, and one of the game properties that feels like a natural playground for that set of technology and design challenges. When we decided we needed to work on markets, free to play, and user generated content, Team Fortress seemed like the right place to do that. That work ended up informing everything we did in the multiplayer space. Left 4 Dead is a good place for creating shared narratives.”

Gabe, what is Team Fortress 2 in Valve’s eyes? Do you plan to improve the state of the game in 2017? Will there be more focus on the game by Valve? (link)

Valve Employee: “Team Fortress 2 has millions of unique players per month, and the team is staffed by a group of people that love and play the game. We’re committed to supporting and growing Team Fortress 2 with new features, content, and player experiences. We’re currently working on our next major update, which features a new campaign, the Pyro class pack, matchmaking improvements/features, and lots of game balancing improvements.”

Hey Gabe! Is Valve interested in making a full game experience for the Vive? (link)

Newell: “Yes. We think VR is pretty important as a tool for interesting games.”

[1] What is the status of Half-Life 3 / Half-Life 2: Episode 3? [2] Is Valve still working on any fully-fledged single-player games? [3]4 An unidentified anonymous source at Valve has said that Half-Life 3 has been cancelled. Is that source legitimate? [4] How many people are now working on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive? The community is frustrated at the lack of updates and the fact that most of the bugs haven’t been fixed. [5] How long will it be until Valve adds Counter-Strike: Global Offensive servers in other parts of the world (such as Russia)? (link)

“[1] The number 3 must not be said. [2] Yes. [3] I personally believe all unidentified anonymous sources on the Internet. [4] 20-30. Same as always. [5] We’re adding servers all the time.”

Why does Valve not talk to its community about the games / apps it is developing as much as other companies? (link)

“Because our decision making is way more conditional than most other companies. The one thing we won’t do is waste our customers time and money, which means we will cancel or change stuff much later in development. Tracking our choices would be annoying and frustrating.

“Another way to think about this, and the way we talk about this internally, is that we prefer to communicate through our products. We are all pretty devoted to reading and listening to the community – everyone here believes it is an integral part of their job to do so. And when it comes time to respond, we generally use Steam – shipping updates that address issues or add functionality. Obviously this doesn’t work for everything. Working this way imposes latency on our communication – it takes longer to ship and update than to do a blog post. This can lead to the feeling of an echo chamber, where it seems like Valve isn’t listening. We’re always listening. So sometimes the latency is rough for everyone, including us when we want to address issues quickly. On balance we think it’s usually worth the trade-off.”

Read More

Industry, Gabe Newell, Valve

Also with Below

Gabe Newell teases Left 4 Dead 3 and Half Life movie in his ‘Ask Me Anything’ on Reddit

3 hours ago
Comments 2

00:05: The AMA is now over. Highlights included a possible Left 4 Dead 3, Half Life movie and free Source 2 engine for developers. You can check...Read more

source: Gematsu&
PCGN

Old 01-18-2017, 01:05 AM   #295
Victarion
Iron Captain

FWIW the set up for Half-Life 1 reminds me of The Mist and that company that was making some kind of interdimensional machine thing.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #296
zenith16
Side-Kick

Steam client update gives Steam Controller mapping features to X-Input controllers

6 hours ago

Update January 20, 2017: Steam's controller mapping features are now live for everyone in the latest client update.
"Added XBox 360, Xbox One, and...Read

source: PCGN

Old 02-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #297
zenith16
Side-Kick

Valve is under anti-trust investigation in Europe

February 2, 2017 43 comments

The European Commission has launched multiple investigations today

"to assess if certain online sales practices prevent, in breach of EU antitrust rules, consumers from enjoying cross-border choice and being able to buy consumer electronics, video games and hotel accommodation at competitive prices."

Specifically, the Commission is investigating Valve and its agreements with multiple game publishers, including ZeniMax, in regard to Steam's geo-blocking ruleset.
"The investigation focuses on whether the agreements in question require or have required the use of activation keys for the purpose of geo-blocking. In particular, an 'activation key' can grant access to a purchased game only to consumers in a particular EU Member State (for example the Czech Republic or Poland). This may amount to a breach of EU competition rules by reducing cross-border competition as a result of restricting so-called 'parallel trade' within the Single Market and preventing consumers from buying cheaper games that may be available in other Member States."
Read more

source::Massivelyop.com/