View Poll Results: Re-cast Hal?
Yes 128 58.45%
No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #776
Bludhaven
Side-Kick

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Robert Kazinsky(Pacific Rim,True Bood) would be a solid hal jordan he is only 29
This.
I've been saying Kazinsky for Hal Jordan for a while now and it makes perfect sense. He was amazing in Eastenders and I have no doubt he'd be able to pull off Hal's personality whilst bringing a greater level of depth to the character than Reynolds could. Plus he's a self-proclaimed nerd who claims to own Star Trek uniforms, so a superhero role would definitely not be beneath him (unlike other actors) especially seeing as he's only had a couple of big roles in the past.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #777
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
I think the problem arises from the fact that you may have never watched or read about Hal Jordan in anything other than the movie. Watch the umpteen number of DCAU movies about the character already. You'll know what we are talking about.

Again, about THE ANIMATED SERIES, it's VERY VERY good. Just because WB decides to cancel it does not mean it isn't good.
I think Hal's look is better suited for comics and animation than it is for live action. Back in the Superfriends days the heroes all had the same personality so I was indifferent to Hal. Never cared about a GL until JLU. I've seen 2eps of the animated series and wasn't impressed. Not fan of Hal or the CG look for a show based on a comicbook. The show did nothing to change that. I prefer traditional animation. The show wasn't a ratings magnet either. I saw both animated movies and they were good, but forgettable. Glad they didn't focus much(if any) on his relationship w/Carol IIRC. I enjoyed the other lanterns much more than Hal. Being exposed to Hal doesn't automatically mean one will like him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
Also, I'm not against the idea of John Stewart being in the Justice League movie or the Green Lantern sequel. Just saying having Hal in a Green lantern origin story was the right thing to do.
Fair enough. I think a story about a badass marine turned badass spacecop story almost writes itself and would probably interest the GA much more than a test pilot turned GL

Last edited by brainchild81; 07-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #778
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

You're oversimplifying things though. Batman & Robin and The Dark Knight Rises both have five of the same characters in (Batman, Robin, Bane, Gordon, Alfred), but are two fundamentally different films.

John having a film is not as simple as "marine turned cop". In fact, that very story should only be used as a vehicle to perhaps explaining a character arc of having PTSD, he shouldn't want to have to fight again. It's the difference between trying to make Saving Private Ryan or The Expendables.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #779
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Both were more enjoyable &successful than what we got. All movies w/military folks don't have to focus on PTSD to make $ or be good, but your idea isn't a bad one. It already sounds better than what we got from WB. Look @you w/ideas for a JS flick. You're the next convert whether you like it or not!

Last edited by brainchild81; 07-30-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #780
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

I'm by no means a convert, but that should be what John brings to the team dynamic of the Earth GL's. I'm still in the mindset that if they reboot Green Lantern as a member of the Corps, they should go with a buddy cop/war film with Earth GL's, but if they intend to go solo, actually change the concept of the character and really begin fresh with Alan Scott.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #781
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Don't recast Hal just go with John stewart instead. Adds diversity and lets you keep your distance from the john carter of 2011.

Two birds with one stone.
This has my vote. I would be very excited if they did this.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #782
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Gl J.S!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #783
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Would the "buddy cop" dynamic really work within the DCMU's tone? I don't know. Just thinking about the Lethal Weapon movies, Rush Hour, Copout, Men in Black series, RIPD, ect. I really wouldn't want that dynamic (I'm not discussion story) to come out when then world is on the line.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #784
Project862006
Banned User

dc/wb just dont know how to do comedy well thats why they dont try you want to see funny comedic moments that also does'nt make thier film a comedy and brings a sense of levity

go watch wolverine

Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #785
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
dc/wb just dont know how to do comedy well thats why they dont try you want to see funny comedic moments that also does'nt make thier film a comedy and brings a sense of levity

go watch wolverine
You mean that you don't consider Batman and Robin good comedy?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #786
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Kazinski for Guy Gardner

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #787
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

He is an *******, i don't like him.

I'd rather see him join the Red Lantern corps directly than being a GL first.

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #788
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post

He's not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy seeing Guy and Hal go at it. There were some nice rivalry moments.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #789
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Yeah he does have enjoyable moments and i don't hate him, i just don't like him very much. Steve "nutcase" Engleheart's influence is still there and the cliche american badass redneck cop who is pissed off even if there is no reason to be pissed off is getting old. He was intended to be a parody but instead he fully embraced his identity. I dont think his character would ever be chosen by the ring.

As a Red Lantern and Vuldarian i like him very much and actually i can see him being such a character.

John Stewart is the way to go IMO.

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #790
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Lightbulb Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Quote:

Well if you hope something, maybe you should place him in the blue lantern corps?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #791
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

I went school supply shopping and saw this today. Even if JLA is 4 years away, I'm excited right now.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #792
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
I dont think his character would ever be chosen by the ring.
He was different when he was chosen. He was a caseworker who rehabilitated prisoners and a teacher for disabled children when he was chosen as Hal's back-up, but he was put into a coma by General Zod after being trapped in the Phantom Zone. Eventually Guy woke up with his current personality being a result of the Phantom Zone and Coma. He was still deemed worthy from before so the ring still worked for him, which Hal opposed. Hal was very insistent that he wasn't the same Guy he was before. But Guy proved valuable in his current state and was allowed to stay.

2016: "This movie sucked because it didn't have a designated meddling executive."

Last edited by HighFivingMF; 08-03-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #793
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
I went school supply shopping and saw this today. Even if JLA is 4 years away, I'm excited right now.

Weird that they have Hal instead of WW or Flash. I wonder who made that call. Hal looks silly & out of place IMO

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #794
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Yes, he looks totally out of place next to two other superheroes that he's been teaming up with regularly in comic books for the past 54 years.

Oh wait I forgot. HAL IS TEH LAME AND SUCKS CUZ SOME GUY WHO KNOW NUTHIN ABOUT HIM SAID SO JOHN STEWART FOREVERZ!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #795
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Lol. Fanboy rage much? I know enough to form my opinion about him. I know that outside of comics, WB's money spent on Hal doesn't seem to come back. You got 2 icons who've both had successful live action films and animated series next to some lame whose expensive movie did nothing but lose a small fortune and whose cartoon got scrapped after just one season They should cut their losses. They may be hoping Bats & Supes can bring him up, but what if his lameness just brings them down?

Last edited by brainchild81; 08-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #796
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

bring in John. skip origins, just have him be GL and be badazz...

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #797
Lantern Venom
Your Mom's #1 Hypester

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
Weird that they have Hal instead of WW or Flash. I wonder who made that call. Hal looks silly & out of place IMO
It's not weird if you check the DVD animated section. Emerald Knights, First Flight, Best of Green Lantern, GL: TAS Vol. 1. That's 4 current releases with Hal on the cover.

Although they did have smaller, side cut-outs of Flash and Cyborg on the sides of the toy aisle. They also had a huge Flashpoint display. Don't worry about Flash, his time is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
Lol. Fanboy rage much? I know enough to form my opinion about him. I know that outside of comics, WB's money spent on Hal doesn't seem to come back. You got 2 icons who've both had successful live action films and animated series next to some lame whose expensive movie did nothing but lose a small fortune and whose cartoon got scrapped after just one season They should cut their losses. They may be hoping Bats & Supes can bring him up, but what if his lameness just brings them down?
The Hulk's last 'toon lasted only 21 episodes. Iron Man's solo 'toon in the 90s lasted only 26 episodes. Did that stop Marvel from promoting the daylights out them? GL's name recognition is at an all-time high. Of course they are promoting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yes, he looks totally out of place next to two other superheroes that he's been teaming up with regularly in comic books for the past 54 years.
Every DC promotion that I've seen in the last few years features Supes, Bats, Flash, and GL. If it's a girl-centric product, they use Wonder Woman. That's going to be the JLA for the first movie.

If it's a 7-character promotion, Aquaman and Cyborg are included. If they aren't in JLA 1, they will most certainly be in the sequel.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #798
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
The Hulk's last 'toon lasted only 21 episodes. Iron Man's solo 'toon in the 90s lasted only 26 episodes. Did that stop Marvel from promoting the daylights out them? GL's name recognition is at an all-time high. Of course they are promoting him.
They've lost a LOT of money promoting Hal though.

Seasons were shorter. They both got more than one. Neither had Bruce Timm involved. I wasn't comparing GL to either of them to begin with though. I was talking about the people he's in that picture with. & I didn't just bring up Hal's failure in animation. I talked about his live action fail as well. My point was that they're making WB money in areas outside of comics and Hal's doing the exact opposite. In recent history, Hulk had a live action film directed by Ang Lee that wasn't that good. It was bad enough that it even held the reboot back IMO. That Ang Lee movie STILL made more money than Hal's film did(as did the reboot. Neither lost the studio tons of cash like Hal's flop did either). We shouldn't compare Hal to Hulk & we damned sure shouldn't compare him to Ironman. Ironman rose up & became a true pop culture icon. Hal hasn't & never will.

Last edited by brainchild81; 08-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #799
Project862006
Banned User

we get it you hate hal you say it constantly you love john i have no personality stewart for some reason because he sooooooooooooooooooo bad ass right?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #800
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

lol That was lame. Do better. Take my dislike for Hal out of the equation. Is any part of my last post false?

Closed Thread