The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #926
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Default Re: I actually liked The Mandarin in Iron Man 3

I had no problem with the twist in Iron Man 3. Of course I'd have preferred the proper Mandarin - but Black executed his take in a great way.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #927
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Default Re: I actually liked The Mandarin in Iron Man 3

The Mandarin was never a Red Scare villain. He was manipulating both sides in order to create World War III, right from the begining. He believes in war and social darwinism, not communism.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #928
guitarking
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

The big Mandarin twist SHOULD have been that he's a middle Eastern terrorist leader (Ben Kingsley) like Bin Laden instead of a Chinese guy with 10 rings. THAT should have been the extent of the big twist.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #929
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
The big Mandarin twist SHOULD have been that he's a middle Eastern terrorist leader (Ben Kingsley) like Bin Laden instead of a Chinese guy with 10 rings. THAT should have been the extent of the big twist.
Bingo. When we only had the trailers to go on, everyone was raving about the fact that we were getting an actual villain who was unique and menacing (as well as finally getting to see the founder of the Ten Rings) instead of a another fellow tech genius and/or another guy in a business suit which is really all we've gotten except for Loki.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #930
sdc10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveyourself12% View Post
Bingo. When we only had the trailers to go on, everyone was raving about the fact that we were getting an actual villain who was unique and menacing (as well as finally getting to see the founder of the Ten Rings) instead of a another fellow tech genius and/or another guy in a business suit which is really all we've gotten except for Loki.
Unique in what way? If we had the kingsley mandarin as the true villain then yes it would have been cool but not unique. He wouldve been just like Bane from TDKR, a leader of a terrorist group with a funny way of talking who talks about how society is crappy and is in need of a change.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #931
OcStat
Side-Kick

A terrorist villain in my opinion is not unique.

A villain who has a whole entire terrorist fabricated to manipulate people and events for his own gain sounds a little more unique to me.

Killian was not just another tech guy.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #932
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I still have no problem with how they portrayed the Mandarin in IM3. I started reading comics in the early to mid 60's. Grew up with the original characters and storylines. I have seen so many changes made to characters by the comic companies that produced them over the years...that now I don't get too upset by any changes that the movie makers do. That doesn't mean that some changes don't irritate me...but on a whole, I don't get too put out by them.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #933
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
Unique in what way? If we had the kingsley mandarin as the true villain then yes it would have been cool but not unique. He wouldve been just like Bane from TDKR, a leader of a terrorist group with a funny way of talking who talks about how society is crappy and is in need of a change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
I'm talking about unique in terms of previous Iron Man films, not all of cinema.

While you might argue that Vanko was a terrorist, he was clearly a tech genius as shown when he miniaturized the arc reactor on his own with nothing but the schematics for the large one that powered Stark Industries and the knowledge that Tony had already done so. (As well as whatever information on the arc reactor that had been published up to that point. I'm speaking of things like the "Stark's Arc" magazine article)

Stane's tech guys at Stark Industries couldn't replicate what Tony had done at their lab but Vanko was able to at his Russian apartment.

Quote:

Are you saying this because of his Extremis abilities? Because otherwise, I can't see how he was anything else. He founded AIM.

Even accounting for his abilities, they're rooted in science that he was able to apply to himself.
Quote:
A villain who has a whole entire terrorist fabricated to manipulate people and events for his own gain sounds a little more unique to me
One could argue that that kind of villain goes all the way back to the Wizard of Oz but I'll grant you that that's not the usual way of doing things, villain-wise.

However, I do not believe that it was done well in IM3.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #934
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
I have to say though that I would have liked him to be American ex-military or ex-CIA as Feige had said *cough* lied *cough* in early interviews.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #935
Crossopholis
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveyourself12% View Post
I'm talking about unique in terms of previous Iron Man films, not all of cinema.
This is an interesting point, but the argument doesn't work for me. I can see how others might have wanted a more traditional or "generic," for lack of a better term, terrorist version of the Mandarin simply within the contexts of the IM movieverse, but I can't un-see the countless other movies I've seen that have plots centered on a big bad terrorist.

Without this twist, I probably would have still liked the movie, but it wouldn't have been anything special to me; just another superhero movie that plays things safe. And even as it is, I still think the movie played certain plot elements a bit too by-the-books, mainly with regards to Pepper's "death" scene. When that part happened, I was thinking, "Oh wow, awesome. The IM we see in the next Avengers' movie is going to be completely warped due to this (in a good storytelling way)," but, no, of course she comes back and saves the day for a happy ending. Yay.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #936
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Of all the marvel characters from all the marvel movies from all the studios, this is the rapiest of the raped

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #937
VictorShade
Side-Kick

Better check with Hank Pym on that.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #938
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Of all the marvel characters from all the marvel movies from all the studios, this is the rapiest of the raped
Oh boyyyyyy

Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #939
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
And let's face it, the movie wouldn't have been any different if Kingsley replaced Pearce in the final fight. It would have gone through the same beats.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #940
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Anyone see the new deleted scene with Mandy? Very interesting manipulation of the audience there!

I'm convinced theres a lot of deleted stuff with him, looooads of his best lines from the trailer weren't in the final film.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #941
Green Goblin
Twip

Look into your heart and you'll know that deep down, the mandarin from the trailers was more awesome than the final product.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
2017 Spidey reboot ideas
The following post is my opinion so take it as you will.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #942
Green Goblin
Twip

People complaining about no rock music need to grow up though.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
2017 Spidey reboot ideas
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #943
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
People complaining about no rock music need to grow up though.
How about you take some of your advice, and stop being so condesceding:

Quote:
Look into your heart and you'll know that deep down, the mandarin from the trailers was more awesome than the final product.

Swallow flies south before the fall, before the winter can call...
Can call in each borrower - for what was given

--Serenity in Motion--
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #944
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post

A villain who has a whole entire terrorist fabricated to manipulate people and events for his own gain sounds a little more unique to me.

A villain hiding behind a decoy has been done almost to death by now, not only movies, but even Naruto has done that (which ironically enough also ruined the series). A Terrorist that doesn't come from the USA or Russia is way more unique than another fake out

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #945
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
It was fairly obvious.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #946
Green Goblin
Twip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
How about you take some of your advice, and stop being so condesceding:

I'm saying complaining about the lack of rock music is silly but doing the same when a villain gets a big change is different, especially when a the comic version was better IMO.

2017 Spidey reboot ideas
Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #947
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

I have spent the last couple of months since seeing IM3 trying to accept how the Mandarin was portrayed on the screen, but still haven't come to terms with it. I know it won't happen, but it would be really cool if they decided with all of the money they made from Iron Man 3 & the Avengers, they were going to do some reshoots and make a Iron Man 3 Comic Book Fan edition for Blue Ray & DVD (almost like a director's cut of sorts) for all of the fans that were disappointed with how things went down in the movie regarding the Mandarin. I mean it probably wouldn't take too much to do it. They would need to cut out the parts with Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery from the film, and just have it skip ahead with a little filler sequence between, perhaps to show them discovering Killian's involvement with the terrorist attacks and his connection to the Mandarin. Then at the end have the battle between Killian and the extremis soldiers commences with Iron Man & his hall of armors more or less like it did in Iron Man 3 (only this time without Killian saying I am the Mandarin). Once Killian has been defeated by Tony (please not Pepper), then Ben Kingsley comes out of the shadows as the Mandarin for the grand finale. With almost all of Iron Man's armors badly damaged in the battle with Killian & the other extremis soldiers he is forced to take on the Mandarin and his rings of power one on one (and that is where most of the new footage would be necessary & special effects). I mean sure it would cost the studio money to do this, but if Iron Man 3's entire movie budget was $200 Million and it racked up over 1.2 Billion world wide, not to mention how well the Avengers did in the Box Office, reinvesting some of that money back in the fans that weren't happy could be a smart move, because I got to be honest. I was all gung ho about Marvel & what they were doing, but after what happened with Iron Man 3 I almost feel disinterested in seeing Thor, Captain America & Guardian's due to them all being a shared universe. What was Marvel's strength to me has now become it's weakness. To me a shared universe is only as good as it worst film, and while Iron Man 3 itself was not necessarily a terrible movie, what happened with the Mandarin character to me still marks it as the worst Marvel Studio's film to date for me. Also, for those people & fans that did like the original theatrical version of Iron Man 3, well they could still buy that version, or better yet bundle them together as a 2 disc set with lots of extras. Anyways, I know I am dreaming, but still I wish I wasn't.

Surfer

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=543581

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #948
Green Goblin
Twip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
I have spent the last couple of months since seeing IM3 trying to accept how the Mandarin was portrayed on the screen, but still haven't come to terms with it. I know it won't happen, but it would be really cool if they decided with all of the money they made from Iron Man 3 & the Avengers, they were going to do some reshoots and make a Iron Man 3 Comic Book Fan edition for Blue Ray & DVD (almost like a director's cut of sorts) for all of the fans that were disappointed with how things went down in the movie regarding the Mandarin. I mean it probably wouldn't take too much to do it. They would need to cut out the parts with Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery from the film, and just have it skip ahead with a little filler sequence between, perhaps to show them discovering Killian's involvement with the terrorist attacks and his connection to the Mandarin. Then at the end have the battle between Killian and the extremis soldiers commences with Iron Man & his hall of armors more or less like it did in Iron Man 3 (only this time without Killian saying I am the Mandarin). Once Killian has been defeated by Tony (please not Pepper), then Ben Kingsley comes out of the shadows as the Mandarin for the grand finale. With almost all of Iron Man's armors badly damaged in the battle with Killian & the other extremis soldiers he is forced to take on the Mandarin and his rings of power one on one (and that is where most of the new footage would be necessary & special effects). I mean sure it would cost the studio money to do this, but if Iron Man 3's entire movie budget was $200 Million and it racked up over 1.2 Billion world wide, not to mention how well the Avengers did in the Box Office, reinvesting some of that money back in the fans that weren't happy could be a smart move, because I got to be honest. I was all gung ho about Marvel & what they were doing, but after what happened with Iron Man 3 I almost feel disinterested in seeing Thor, Captain America & Guardian's due to them all being a shared universe. What was Marvel's strength to me has now become it's weakness. To me a shared universe is only as good as it worst film, and while Iron Man 3 itself was not necessarily a terrible movie, what happened with the Mandarin character to me still marks it as the worst Marvel Studio's film to date for me. Also, for those people & fans that did like the original theatrical version of Iron Man 3, well they could still buy that version, or better yet bundle them together as a 2 disc set with lots of extras. Anyways, I know I am dreaming, but still I wish I wasn't.

Surfer
They should advertise that the Blu-ray has the real mandarin lol.

2017 Spidey reboot ideas
Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #949
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
They should advertise that the Blu-ray has the real mandarin lol.
Well many would argue that we got the real Mandarin in Iron Man 3, so I am not trying to start World War 3 here with my comments. but I would just say that I was hoping for something "I feel" closer represents a more traditional look of the character and his powers (rings) from the comics. To those that are happy with what we got, I am truly happy for them, but it does suck being one of the individuals that can't seem to find peace with it. I am just hoping Thor will blow me away & make me forget what happened and I will be able to move on as if this film never happened. So, I guess we will see, but right now due to Iron Man 3 my expectations have been squashed.

Surfer

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=543581

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #950
Loki882
Side-Kick

I actually don't know how I feel about the twist. Every time I find a reason to dislike it, I think of another reason to like it, then I think of another reason to dislike it, and the cycle repeats. I do think that the second half of the film had too much comedy, it kind of killed the tension in scenes that should have been serious.

Closed Thread