The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #376
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
TDK was just as bland in its action as the other films in the series. Superman deserves more.
Come on, the sequence of Joker in his semi, Dent in the SWAT van, and Batman in the Tumbler/Batpod is a fantastic action sequence.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #377
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamill-Joker View Post
Come on, the sequence of Joker in his semi, Dent in the SWAT van, and Batman in the Tumbler/Batpod is a fantastic action sequence.

I smell sarcasm

........ -Michael Myers
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #378
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
The voices, the designs, the story, the source material, the runtime, the artwork on the cover, the release date, the crew, probably some more stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
It's an actual adaption of Geoff Johns Superman: Brainiac instead of a spin off of the animated series...
I see. Let me rephrase.
When I heard about the superman vs the elite I knew that was something new. Watching it I found it was. Beyond something I've seen 10 times but with an feature quality and run time(mind you this is direct to video, not quite feature).

I suppose the more appropriate question would be, is John's material any good? I tend to not favor him.

Quote:
Nolan and his writers have a great sense of context driving action/conflict. The first bane fight being the epitome of this, another example is in TDK when that chase was happening, a hell of a lot more was as stake than just a chase. His execution of said action is often either clumsy or leaves some to be desired imo.
(Inception snow fort scene or TDKR roof fight being good bad examples).

Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #379
BatSpider
Not an S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I smell sarcasm
No.

The sequences were shot so well, and the tension Nolan builds up is what makes them awesome.

I can recall at the en of the semi truck scene, when Batman does the little wall turn thing at the end on his bike, the whole theater let out a "that was awesome" gasp. JUST for that. And that happened because the scene was shot with such intensity.

Hopefully MOS can pull that off.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #380
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I smell sarcasm
It seems an unhealthily large amount of people have been sarcastic for four and a half years.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #381
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatSpider View Post
No.

The sequences were shot so well, and the tension Nolan builds up is what makes them awesome.

I can recall at the en of the semi truck scene, when Batman does the little wall turn thing at the end on his bike, the whole theater let out a "that was awesome" gasp. JUST for that. And that happened because the scene was shot with such intensity.

Hopefully MOS can pull that off.
I recall my audience was fully taken with that moment.
Among other things, having collectively lost to a villain as unpredictable and smart(as smart as batman should be) at every turn, I feel it was everything that happened up till that moment that played a large part in why the audience was so engaged. Also the reveal of the Batpod itself was pretty neat.

Simply catching the joker halfway through the film had us more excited than even catching loki by the end of avengers. Good writing. Shame about the next film though.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #382
BatSpider
Not an S

Couldn't be any more right.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #383
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

the driving scenes were cool sure...but they didn't blow my mind. Some people must just be easily impressed...not me

........ -Michael Myers
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #384
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That's true. However in walking that plot line Nolan opened himself to one of the more discussed plot contrivances around.
(why not just blame joker..or any one else for dent).
Because a story blaming the Joker would fall apart very quickly if any witnesses saw him somewhere else during the murders...plus none of the murders contained carved faces, playing cards, or any other of the Joker's hallmarks. On a more moral level, it's simply wrong to blame someone for crimes you know they didn't commit.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #385
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Because a story blaming the Joker would fall apart very quickly if any witnesses saw him somewhere else during the murders...plus none of the murders contained carved faces, playing cards, or any other of the Joker's hallmarks. On a more moral level, it's simply wrong to blame someone for crimes you know they didn't commit.
but they were blamed on Batman knowing he didn't commit those crimes

........ -Michael Myers
Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #386
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Batman willingly took on the responsibility. The Joker didn't.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #387
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Batman willingly took on the responsibility. The Joker didn't.
the moral of the story is always tell the truth. if they were so worried about ruining Dent's reputation well then tough ****

........ -Michael Myers
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #388
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

You can't compare action scenes between a character like batman and superman. Even in the comics where batman is just fighting his own rogues the actions scenes rarely go ridiculously over the the top.

Superman and his actions scenes should be compared with a character like the Hulk more than batman. If anything the avengers is where a superman film should probably be compared to. Although i don't think MOS was given the budget to be really in the same league as the avengers scale wise.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #389
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
On a moral level, joker is more responsible of "Harvey's death" than any other person. Batman being the person that came the closest to saving him both literally and not. Dent's body could have been taken and an elaborate highly funded ruse could have been put in place.

Joker already publicly came after and near killed dent. How many people even know he survived the Jokers attack in the first place.

Then again, Dent did claim to be batman publicly, I guess that would be a sound motive...

You do raise a good point about the moral high ground, however Bane shows up and quickly debunks that argument by way of a magic written confession. These two are hardly moral by the rules of this film.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #390
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

Quote:
None of the victims had the hallmarks of meeting Batman. Which is a pulse generally. On an equally moral level it's wrong to lie to the citizens, supplying them with a false idol, in order to take away the rights of 1,000 men without the rule of law.

Oh, I still have a slightly bitter taste from The Dark Knight Rises.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #391
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
You can't compare action scenes between a character like batman and superman. Even in the comics where batman is just fighting his own rogues the actions scenes rarely go ridiculously over the the top.

Superman and his actions scenes should be compared with a character like the Hulk more than batman. If anything the avengers is where a superman should probably be compared to. Although i don't think MOS was given the budget to be really in the same league as the avengers scale wise.
true...trying to compare Superman's action to Batman's doesn't really make much sense to me

........ -Michael Myers
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #392
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post

Superman and his actions scenes should be compared with a character like the Hulk more than batman. If anything the avengers is where a superman film should probably be compared to. Although i don't think MOS was given the budget to be really in the same league as the avengers scale wise.
Actually the action scenes in MoS are best to be compared with the likes of Thor...of which I'm sure they will be "better"

You must be talking about fight scenes however, not so much action scenes.
The ones in the bat films straight up sucked imo. Especially begins and rises. The action scenes(especially in TDRK), were pretty neat. Especially in the third acts where nolan pulled out the fancy vehicles.

A well conceived and fully realized superman film could have pretty fantastic hand to hand fighting, super speed and strength..etc, I fear Bryan Singer has us thinking such things are useless. I'm glad Sndyer is directing, there's a chance he will indulge in such things.

Watching any number of the animated superman sequences would be enough to make the point. That superman doomsday movie for instance.
What's funny is that Nolan seems to handle batmans fights like a de powered superman brawl, lots of punches and body shots...

Last edited by Marvin; 01-31-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #393
X Knight
Hope

I felt Thor's action scenes to be a bit underwhelming.......to be honest.....

Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #394
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Unbound trailer looks awesome! Oh and TDKT rules, just in general.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #395
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I felt Thor's action scenes to be a bit underwhelming.......to be honest.....
Didn't marvel studio's essentially under-power thor to make him fit better with he team concept they had going i guess?

I think they wanted to show that Hulk was unquestioned the team's strongest and it would be redundant to have two supremely powerful beings on one team. Otherwise i believe thor is supposed to on a near superman power level in the marvel comic universe?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #396
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
On a moral level, joker is more responsible of "Harvey's death" than any other person. Batman being the person that came the closest to saving him both literally and not. Dent's body could have been taken and an elaborate highly funded ruse could have been put in place.
Yeah, but Batman also blames himself for what happened to Dent. Remember his line about allowing some psychopathic clown to blow Gotham's best hope all to hell? Bruce has always been hard on himself.

Quote:
Joker already publicly came after and near killed dent. How many people even know he survived the Jokers attack in the first place.

Then again, Dent did claim to be batman publicly, I guess that would be a sound motive...
It's not just a matter of framing the Joker for Dent; someone needs to be blamed for the people Dent killed. The Joker may very well have an alibi for those crimes. Batman didn't.

Quote:
You do raise a good point about the moral high ground, however Bane shows up and quickly debunks that argument by way of a magic written confession. These two are hardly moral by the rules of this film.
They aren't really moral, but they were trying to do the best thing possible in a difficult situation. I guess you could say that's what TDK was all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
None of the victims had the hallmarks of meeting Batman. Which is a pulse generally. On an equally moral level it's wrong to lie to the citizens, supplying them with a false idol, in order to take away the rights of 1,000 men without the rule of law.

Oh, I still have a slightly bitter taste from The Dark Knight Rises.
Batman had never killed anyone yet but he had thrown a mob boss off of a building. Plus some media members were hell bent on portraying him as a dangerous lunatic. If the authorities or public had any doubt I'mm sure Batman would have come through with some kind of confession.

As for the Dent Act, I suppose you could say that's the unintended consequence of lying. One of the themes of TDKR is that it's wrong to lie to the public in the belief that they can't handle the truth.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #397
Steyin
Bidding you ADIEU!

Quote:
Wasn't as good as the chase in Begins. It would have been better if it weren't spoiled by all the set videos, preview clips and images also. I figured the clips were a tease, and when I saw the film and witnessed there was nothing more to it than what I had already seen, I was very let down.

I'm hoping MoS doesn't repeat in the let down regard.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #398
Marvin
Side-Kick

Imprisoning hundreds of "innocent" men indefinitely on a lie crosses more moral pathways than blaming the joker for something he was very much responsible for.

There are risks sure, such as a known and admitted costumed terrorist having an alibi, but unless explored in the script or even presented, it's very easily seen as a jump in logic..
Now had the Joker filmed himself playing in the park with a time stamp on the video when these acts occured and Nolan presented this on film even in passing that would be one thing.

The tricky thing is how one accounts for the many dozens of "goons' joker has under his employ.
I mentioned costumed terrorist above cause that makes things even more slippery. Anyone can paint their faces like Ronald Mcdonald and claim to be anywhere.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #399
sup101
Side-Kick

How much MOS budget is.Imdb has it at 220million.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #400
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Sam J Rizzo has said on FB that its rumoured the 3rd trailer fir Man if Steel will debut in April.

Also has everyone seen the awesomeness of the Superman Unbound trailer: