SO! Who's getting the Nexus 5?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #102
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

Default Re: The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
SO! Who's getting the Nexus 5?

looks really cool, but the camera is subpar from what i've heard. if you're looking for a new phone off-contract, though, the nexus is the best phone out there, imo.

The Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #103
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Even if it was on Verizon, I wouldn't buy it because it has no removable storage.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #104
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

True, Google seems very adamant in wanting people to use G-Drive for their storage needs, but at least this Nexus has 16GB or 32GB storage options unlike the Nexus 4's pitiful 8GB offering.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #105
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Even if it was on Verizon, I wouldn't buy it because it has no removable storage.
That and no removable battery.

The only thing attractive about the phone for me is the sub-$400 off contract price. I have unlimited data grandfathered in for my phone still, and I don't want to lose it.

I'm still holding out for a better phones (still trucking it with my Bionic), curved screens aren't going to cut it.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #106
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
That and no removable battery.

The only thing attractive about the phone for me is the sub-$400 off contract price. I have unlimited data grandfathered in for my phone still, and I don't want to lose it.

I'm still holding out for a better phones (still trucking it with my Bionic), curved screens aren't going to cut it.
Removable batteries seem to be going out, so I'm not too attached to them as I was before.

I'm still with my Bionic, too. I could get the Razr M for cheap, but I doubt it'll get KitKat (not that it matters since I'd just install CyanogenMod on it). I don't really feel like paying $400 for a Droid Mini right now. I prefer those smaller form factor phones, even the Nexus felt too big for me.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #107
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Trying to choose between an iPhone 5s, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5.

I'm still on my iPhone 3G so am in need of an upgrade. Never used Android and it looks really cluttered and busy. But i do like that you can change the keyboard, homescreen, clock, icons and so on

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe WolverineX-Men Days of Future PastGuardians of the GalaxyDEADPOOL • LOGAN
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #108
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Removable batteries seem to be going out, so I'm not too attached to them as I was before.
It makes it harder to fix your phone at times because the battery pull helps.
Quote:
I'm still with my Bionic, too. I could get the Razr M for cheap, but I doubt it'll get KitKat (not that it matters since I'd just install CyanogenMod on it). I don't really feel like paying $400 for a Droid Mini right now. I prefer those smaller form factor phones, even the Nexus felt too big for me.
I want more screen real estate, but nothing has wowed me since the GS3 (Euro version with quad-core). Specs seem to be plateauing and now it's the actual experience that will become the focus. I do hope that cameras become a focus again though.

Verizon really pisses me off with their slow roll outs. There should be no reason that the Razr M, or even the Bionic, won't get KitKat. It's said that it works well on dual core phones.

Side note:
Just learned that if you use Google Now and ask it to "Beam me up, Scotty." The phone will respond...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Trying to choose between an iPhone 5s, Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5.

I'm still on my iPhone 3G so am in need of an upgrade. Never used Android and it looks really cluttered and busy. But i do like that you can change the keyboard, homescreen, clock, icons and so on
Android used to be very similar to Windows Mobile 6, where the experience was very PC-like, but since Ice Cream Sandwich, a lot of the experience has been streamlined and simplified. If you spend a little time with it, you can get the phone however you like.

The best thing is that you can customize the phone however you like with different launchers. I would suggest going into the store and spending a little time with the phones to see what you like better. Going from iPhone 3G to iPhone 5s is more or less the same experience with some tweaks here and there. Nexus is more of that "Google" experience, so there's no crapware or custom UI's from the phone developers.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #109
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
That is true, but I haven't had to do a battery pull on my phone in awhile. The last few times the battery popped out was from when I dropped it.

Quote:
I want more screen real estate, but nothing has wowed me since the GS3 (Euro version with quad-core). Specs seem to be plateauing and now it's the actual experience that will become the focus. I do hope that cameras become a focus again though.

Verizon really pisses me off with their slow roll outs. There should be no reason that the Razr M, or even the Bionic, won't get KitKat. It's said that it works well on dual core phones.
The cameras definitely need improvement. I care more about a compact size that I can put in my pocket and hold and comfortably one-handed. I don't watch movies or anything on my phone.

The Bionic won't get KitKat, it doesn't even have the latest version of Jelly Bean. The Razr M might but it'll be the last one it gets.

I forgot about the S4 Mini that will come out this month. That might be good.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #110
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:

Side note:
Just learned that if you use Google Now and ask it to "Beam me up, Scotty." The phone will respond...

Android used to be very similar to Windows Mobile 6, where the experience was very PC-like, but since Ice Cream Sandwich, a lot of the experience has been streamlined and simplified. If you spend a little time with it, you can get the phone however you like.

The best thing is that you can customize the phone however you like with different launchers. I would suggest going into the store and spending a little time with the phones to see what you like better. Going from iPhone 3G to iPhone 5s is more or less the same experience with some tweaks here and there. Nexus is more of that "Google" experience, so there's no crapware or custom UI's from the phone developers.
We're getting there with HTC's Ultrapixel, Moto's Clear Pixel and Sammy is working on something for their camera on the GS5. Nokia and Sony seemed to be trying to bring back the camera-centricity of mobiles again with the Lumia 1520 and Xperia Z1.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #111
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So the Nokia quasi-spin-off company, Jolla has announced a release date and price for their phone dubbed Jolla with a colorful, changeable shell called 'The Other Half' which can change the theme of your device. The phone features the new gesture-based mobile operating system, Sailfish which is a child of the abandoned MeeGo OS. The OS is Android app compatible so you can get some Play Store goodies for you Fandroids who want to dip your toes into Sailfish's waters.

Jolla - We Are Unlike

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 11-17-2013 at 12:49 AM.
LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #112
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

It actually looks pretty interesting. WIll be fun to see some reviews of it.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #113
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

The SMS Icon looks like it's Pansi/Easy SMS.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #114
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
That is true, but I haven't had to do a battery pull on my phone in awhile. The last few times the battery popped out was from when I dropped it.
I've only recently been having heating issues with my Bionic, so I've been doing more battery pulls than normal.
Quote:
The cameras definitely need improvement. I care more about a compact size that I can put in my pocket and hold and comfortably one-handed. I don't watch movies or anything on my phone.
I rock the holster, as the pocket for me has always been uncomfortable. I don't really find trouble with the size until going into phablet territory myself.
Quote:
The Bionic won't get KitKat, it doesn't even have the latest version of Jelly Bean. The Razr M might but it'll be the last one it gets.
I know. The Bionic was the redheaded stepchild, but I still love it.
Quote:
S4 mini
You would probably like that one.
Quote:
We're getting there with HTC's Ultrapixel, Moto's Clear Pixel and Sammy is working on something for their camera on the GS5.
Eh...I haven't really been wowed by camera phones for a long time.
Quote:
Nokia and Sony seemed to be trying to bring back the camera-centricity of mobiles again with the Lumia 1520 and Xperia Z1.
Same goes for these phones with giant ass lenses. Not my style. I'm very picky.

I would have been all over the Droid Maxx or Ultra if it wasn't for the specs.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #115
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
I've only recently been having heating issues with my Bionic, so I've been doing more battery pulls than normal.

I rock the holster, as the pocket for me has always been uncomfortable. I don't really find trouble with the size until going into phablet territory myself.

Eh...I haven't really been wowed by camera phones for a long time.

Same goes for these phones with giant ass lenses. Not my style. I'm very picky.

I would have been all over the Droid Maxx or Ultra if it wasn't for the specs.
Remind me to make sure you wash your fingers. As for the the 1520 and Z1, from what I've seen the camera bulges aren't big like the Pureview 808 or Lumia 1020. The Z1's is flush against the back and the 1520's is more like the HTC One X and Lumia 925 small but manageable.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #116
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

So guys I'm on T-Mobile and I want to upgrade my phone. My first choice is a Nexus 5 but was wondering if anyone here would make a case for another Android phone on their network.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #117
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
I think I had that often when I was running Stock. With CyanogenMod, I haven't had that issue. The only issue I've had is I use an app called Best Wifi that switches the Wifi I'm on depending on where I am in my house. I usually have to just turn it off and on. Othertimes I recalibrate it or reset.

Quote:
I don't take my phone out enough to warrant a holster.

Quote:
It's not a bad phone, but I think I'm due for one.

Quote:
I probably would, size wise. My only issue is the buttons, but removable battery, expandable storage, and small size? I'll consider it.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
So guys I'm on T-Mobile and I want to upgrade my phone. My first choice is a Nexus 5 but was wondering if anyone here would make a case for another Android phone on their network.
I can't recommend anything exclusively on Verizon since it uses CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM. You can look into the Moto X. If I liked bigger phones and didn't care about no expandable memory, I would be all over that. Hardware wise, the HTC One is probably the best but I'm still reluctant to trust them giving out updates, even a flagship. There's also the S4 and it's variants. If price is an issue, you can probably get an S3 for dirt cheap, it's really not much different than an S4.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #118
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Pretty much what Spidey-Bat said. My top recommendations are the Nexus 5, HTC One, S4, Moto X, and S3.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #119
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

could this be the future of smartphones for the foreseeable future? it looks like samsung will be the first to push the use of wrap around screens. it's likely fully bendable technology is the ultimate goal in 2-3 years. i need to see the actual product, but i'm pretty excited about where this could go.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5...es-in-pictures

The Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #120
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Honestly, I only see this technology being fully utilized on smartwatches.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #121
ComicChick
Mmmm... Pizza
SHH! Global Moderator

i wouldn't be interested

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #122
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Remind me to make sure you wash your fingers.
I only did it that ONE time!
Quote:
As for the the 1520 and Z1, from what I've seen the camera bulges aren't big like the Pureview 808 or Lumia 1020. The Z1's is flush against the back and the 1520's is more like the HTC One X and Lumia 925 small but manageable.
True, but still.
Quote:
I think I had that often when I was running Stock. With CyanogenMod, I haven't had that issue. The only issue I've had is I use an app called Best Wifi that switches the Wifi I'm on depending on where I am in my house. I usually have to just turn it off and on. Othertimes I recalibrate it or reset.
I haven't felt the itch to flash my phone in a while. I can't even remember what ROM I'm using.
Quote:
I don't take my phone out enough to warrant a holster.
I've been using a holster for so long that it's natural. Phones are still too big for pockets.
Quote:
It's not a bad phone, but I think I'm due for one.
Same her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

could this be the future of smartphones for the foreseeable future? it looks like samsung will be the first to push the use of wrap around screens. it's likely fully bendable technology is the ultimate goal in 2-3 years. i need to see the actual product, but i'm pretty excited about where this could go.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5...es-in-pictures
**** that.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #123
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

What do you guys think about the Galaxy Note 3? I'm getting it free w/ the galaxy gear at my work but i was planning on getting a Windows Phone (Lumia 1520)

Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #124
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnightwing23 View Post
What do you guys think about the Galaxy Note 3? I'm getting it free w/ the galaxy gear at my work but i was planning on getting a Windows Phone (Lumia 1520)
Damn...you're getting that with the Gear? Jeaous.

Anyway, the Note 3 is a great phone from what I've heard from friends and coworkers. Phablets are too big for my tastes, but the phone is good tech.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #125
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

The obvious answer is to get both.

But yeah the Note 3 is amazeballs if you want a productivity tool in the palm of your hands. The Lumia 1520 is definitely for media like streaming movies, television shows, taking pictures and videos.