The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #976
Mikelus
Intellectualis

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Hey guys I have been thinking but how would you feel if the military as well as Lois knew Clark and Superman are one and the same in this movie? Would it upset you or would you embrace the change? For some reason I think this is what they might do and if that's the case then I hate it.
I don't mind cause it would make sense, a pair of glasses are not going to fool the FBI, CIA & co. Sooner or later they should find out Clark Kent is Superman, that's what would happen in real life, but they would not reveal it to the public unless Superman becomes public enemy #1.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #977
SuperWig
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

the good ole days of SR....uuughhhk,

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #978
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

I met some great Hypers because of SR. I will never regret that time.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #979
ThreadPool
Thank you, SHH

Welp. I've never been this excited for a Superman film. I said it before, and I'll say it again:
They do this right and there is NO, not one superhero, on a bigger or grander scale. Looks awesome!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #980
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
I don't mind cause it would make sense, a pair of glasses are not going to fool the FBI, CIA & co. Sooner or later they should find out Clark Kent is Superman, that's what would happen in real life, but they would not reveal it to the public unless Superman becomes public enemy #1.
I dunno, if they do Daily Planet Clark right, then it's not just glasses and Clark Kent is just one of millions of young, square jawed black haired white males who have a passing resemblance to Superman. I'm not adverse to the idea, but I can understand certain folks around here being wary of Superman having any close connections with the US government based on a certain pair of Frank Miller stories...

Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #981
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I have never been this excited for a film. I remember being a bit excited for Returns, but not on this level. I have a gut feeling that no matter is the film blows up the box office or not, we will be getting a great Superman film. Period.

Superhero nerd.
Writer for @GalvNews. Bylines: @WashingtonPost, @BuzzFeed, @MovieViral.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #982
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

That superman grunt!!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #983
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Hey guys I have been thinking but how would you feel if the military as well as Lois knew Clark and Superman are one and the same in this movie? Would it upset you or would you embrace the change? For some reason I think this is what they might do and if that's the case then I hate it.
There's a good chance everyone will know - good luck getting the "my son was on the bus" woman to keep her mouth shut. It's impossible to do even a semi-realistic take on Superman and have him keep his identity secret from people motivated to find it out. Clark's ability to keep his life somewhat private may rely on assistance from friends and neighbors along with a modest change in hairstyle, some thick glasses and a slouch in posture.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #984
Kal-El.9859
Trust No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Heading offline if the spot doesn't appear in ten minutes.

Believe it or not, I got stuff to do. lol.
Like what? Milk the goats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Jon Peters must be lucky man as he gets to be producer for all Superman movies, while doing nothing !
Life is grand for that man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_Cam View Post
Same user uploaded a slightly better/clearer version....

Gets better every time I see it...now if I could only watch it in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I dunno, if they do Daily Planet Clark right, then it's not just glasses and Clark Kent is just one of millions of young, square jawed black haired white males who have a passing resemblance to Superman. I'm not adverse to the idea, but I can understand certain folks around here being wary of Superman having any close connections with the US government based on a certain pair of Frank Miller stories...
Really anxious to see Daily Planet Clark

There's been an awakening in the Force, have you felt it?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #985
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Holy cosmos! That looked proper DBZ-esque! And of course WB withheld these shots from the actual trailers. WB being WB.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #986
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Remember when Geoff Johns and others were promoting Green Lantern as DC's answer to Star Wars... Seems Big Blue is gunna show 'em how it's really done.
How's the Blue Elephant going to help DC... Oh you met Superman.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #987
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
There's a good chance everyone will know - good luck getting the "my son was on the bus" woman to keep her mouth shut. It's impossible to do even a semi-realistic take on Superman and have him keep his identity secret from people motivated to find it out. Clark's ability to keep his life somewhat private may rely on assistance from friends and neighbors along with a modest change in hairstyle, some thick glasses and a slouch in posture.
No, it is not impossible to do a semi-realistic take on Superman and include Daily Planet Clark. You have obviously not paid attention to the millions of well-informed discussions on here about espionage tradecraft, the fallibility of human perception and memory, etc. all of which support the plausibility of an effective, traditional Clark Kent disguise.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #988
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Two words: Amnesia Kiss.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #989
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

If you can believe a ****ing man can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes then you can believe in the glasses idenity.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #990
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Two words: Amnesia Kiss.
That's how he will evade the CIA and FBI if they ever confront him as Clark.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #991
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

The whole military/government knowing his identity scenario may dangerously lead into TDKR-esque territory and I'm not a fan of that at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #992
TDK010
Side-Kick

Apparently Jim Lee has seen the movie and it "made him cry."
Skip to 1:24 for Man Of Steel talk

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/05/05...e-jim-lee-cry/

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #993
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
That's how he will evade the CIA and FBI if they ever confront him as Clark.
I think we both know what new jobs will be popular with the ladies and certain men, now.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #994
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I think we both know what new jobs will be popular with the ladies and certain men, now.
*searches google to find how to get a government job*

Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #995
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I love the glasses identity. It's one of those things, that if you love Superman, you just buy. It's like it's in my DNA to buy it. Still of course it can be executed differently; with different effectiveness, and quality. And with live action it's even harder than in animation and comics. I totally embraced it both with Reeve and Routh though.

Can't wait for Cavill's Daily Planet Clark, I love that aspect of the mythos.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #996
DKDetective
Wizened Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
If you can believe a ****ing man can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes then you can believe in the glasses idenity.
Or that sentient life on Krypton evolved to look identical to the human race. Or if people can accept Nolan's "realistic" take on Batman where a super powered microwave emitter can be used to vaporize a city's water supply but has no effect on all the water in the human body and doesn't kill the entire city. Or how Bruce Wayne can't get ballistics off a shattered bullet, but he can pull fingerprints of it when the ballistics markings are far more permanent than fingerprints. Or that Bane would go to all the effort of turning Wayne's fusion reactor into a relatively small thermonuclear bomb when the technology for thermonuclear weapons aka H-Bombs has existed for half a century and it would probably be way easier to steal a much more powerful one from Pakistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I love the glasses identity. It's one of those things, that if you love Superman, you just buy. It's like it's in my DNA to buy it. StilloOf course it can be executed differently; with different effectiveness and quality. And with live action it's even harder than in animation and comics. But I totally embraced it both with Reeve and Routh.

Can't wait for Cavill's Daily Planet Clark, I love that aspect of the mythos.
Also, it is a big part of the character thematically. Clark wants and needs to be an ordinary human part of the time, which both Goyer and Snyder have acknowledged is a big part of their understanding of the character. Making Clark go public as Superman would completely ruin that and be completely out of sync with the film's themes of alienation and finding acceptance.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #997
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Or that sentient life on Krypton evolved to look identical to the human race. Or if people can accept Nolan's "realistic" take on Batman where a super powered microwave emitter can be used to vaporize a city's water supply but has no effect on all the water in the human body and doesn't kill the entire city. Or how Bruce Wayne can't get ballistics off a shattered bullet, but he can pull fingerprints of it when the ballistics markings are far more permanent than fingerprints. Or that Bane would go to all the effort of turning Wayne's fusion reactor into a relatively small thermonuclear bomb when the technology for thermonuclear weapons aka H-Bombs has existed for half a century and it would probably be way easier to steal a much more powerful one from Pakistan.
Damn! You just killed it.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #998
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Listening to the Empire podcast interview with Goyer. It's a brief but interesting listen.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #999
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, it is not impossible to do a semi-realistic take on Superman and include Daily Planet Clark. You have obviously not paid attention to the millions of well-informed discussions on here about espionage tradecraft, the fallibility of human perception and memory, etc. all of which support the plausibility of an effective, traditional Clark Kent disguise.
I've read a bunch of them, but there is a significant difference between a secret identity and day-to-day disguise. Clark keeping "Daily Planet Clark" separate from "Superman" would require that imaging technology, the internet and camera phones did not exist in the Man of Steel world, or at least not in the same manner that we know them today. The ubiquitousness of video surveillance used to capture the Boston Marathon Bombers would have to be eliminated in Metropolis. It could work if you set the film in the 30s or 40s, or perhaps even the 70s. But not 2013.

That doesn't mean that Clark couldn't use "espionage tradecraft" or other such means to blend in with the crowds in the big city or, with the help of family, friends and neighbors, keep at least a somewhat private existence apart from his superhero persona. But I think a true "secret identity" would be virtually impossible for Clark - and Snyder - to pull off.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #1000
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Sweet Jesus! Agreed, Phantasm, I can't understand why hasn't Warner Bros posted that in HD to their Youtube channel yet. The epic action shots in that TV spot will go a long way to selling this movie to the general public. Also, why waste such epicness on a no-name show like Red Widow?
They usually don't put them up for a few days. What happened with the Hobbit. Heck, with the Hobbit it took weeks at times.