How was Wade Barrett's performance?

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Colin Farrell and Noomi Rapace Starring in Dead Man Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
is it me or has her American experience been a complete flop?
It isn't just you. Sherlock didn't lose any cash but it underperformed domestically and Prometheus underperformed domestically. (And was a disappointment to at least half the fans). And this movie is a huge disappointment box office and critics wise.

I wouldn't say huge flop but massive disappointment. Personally, I don't think that she is largely being offered great roles in good films.
Any success her American films have had have not seemed to help her in any way in the buzz department. The fanboys might love her in the original Dragon Tattoo but the American market doesn't seem to care as much as the Tattoo fanboys want them too.

Unlike say Marion Colltiard Rapace just isn't as respected and unlike Colltiard she wasn't even nominated for an Oscar for her hugely buzzed about breakout role. Let alone won one. Now I and other fans may not take the Oscars deathly seriously but the industry does. Like it or hate it but that is a fact. After her nom for Winter's Bone Lawrence got a role in and X-Men film and then booked Hunger Games. On top of that she auditioned and won the lead female role in Sliver Linings Playbook. Could she have done all that without the Oscar nom? Sure, Emma Stone blew up without an Oscar nom but you have to have that star making performance that people actually care about, regardless of box office numbers.

Listen obviously somebody likes Rapace she is getting work and she is young enough.

Personally I don't get the buzz on her. IMHO she isn't an interesting screen presence or a particularly good actress. And she isn't ugly (It's mean to call actors or anyone ugly and I love unusual faces more than blandly so called pretty ones) but she isn't some stunner that can only trade off of her looks either. I could be wrong but I see the buzz that she does have fading away very soon.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I thought she was truly great in Prometheus. It's the only Hollywood film I've seen her in though. The best performance I've seen of her overall is in the swedish drama Svinalšngorna, she is amazing in it.

She's definitely a great actress. But a supporting role in Sherlock and now this, isn't what she should be doing. De Palma's Passion, that she is in, looks way more promising for her.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

DePalma hasn't made a decent movie in years.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It isn't just you. Sherlock didn't lose any cash but it underperformed domestically and Prometheus underperformed domestically. (And was a disappointment to at least half the fans). And this movie is a huge disappointment box office and critics wise.

I wouldn't say huge flop but massive disappointment. Personally, I don't think that she is largely being offered great roles in good films.
Any success her American films have had have not seemed to help her in any way in the buzz department. The fanboys might love her in the original Dragon Tattoo but the American market doesn't seem to care as much as the Tattoo fanboys want them too.

Unlike say Marion Colltiard Rapace just isn't as respected and unlike Colltiard she wasn't even nominated for an Oscar for her hugely buzzed about breakout role. Let alone won one. Now I and other fans may not take the Oscars deathly seriously but the industry does. Like it or hate it but that is a fact. After her nom for Winter's Bone Lawrence got a role in and X-Men film and then booked Hunger Games. On top of that she auditioned and won the lead female role in Sliver Linings Playbook. Could she have done all that without the Oscar nom? Sure, Emma Stone blew up without an Oscar nom but you have to have that star making performance that people actually care about, regardless of box office numbers.

Listen obviously somebody likes Rapace she is getting work and she is young enough.

Personally I don't get the buzz on her. IMHO she isn't an interesting screen presence or a particularly good actress. And she isn't ugly (It's mean to call actors or anyone ugly and I love unusual faces more than blandly so called pretty ones) but she isn't some stunner that can only trade off of her looks either. I could be wrong but I see the buzz that she does have fading away very soon.
She is a star in Sweden and European cinema. If it doesn't work out after Prometheus 2, she can always return there.

I just wanted to throw out that she should have been nominated for TGWTDT and honestly was better in the role than Rooney Mara. However, the American producers brought in YellowBird (the distributor of the Swedish original) as co-producers on the remake and thus kept them from even sending out screeners for Rapace. Which is a shame as she deserved a nomination more than at least a few of them from that year, as I recall.

Anyway, I saw this movie last week. The acting from Rapace, Farrell and Howard was top notch. The plot and story was generic and forgettable though. It is a so-so film. Perhaps Rapace will be like Farrell, a good talent in independent films who never can seem to make it big in those wide releases or blockbusters. Though Prometheus and Sherlock Holmes 2 were technically hits, you're right she doesn't have any heat off them. Then again Farrell keeps getting lead parts after Fright Night, Total Recall, Miami Vice, The New World and Alexander all flopped. Long as he keeps showing up in roles like In Bruges, I think he can continue to find work in the indies. Though, I feel like his time in big Hollywood productions has come to an end.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #31
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
DePalma hasn't made a decent movie in years.
True that. Still thinks her role in that looks interesting and like something she'd excel in.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #32
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
She is a star in Sweden and European cinema. If it doesn't work out after Prometheus 2, she can always return there.

I just wanted to throw out that she should have been nominated for TGWTDT and honestly was better in the role than Rooney Mara. However, the American producers brought in YellowBird (the distributor of the Swedish original) as co-producers on the remake and thus kept them from even sending out screeners for Rapace. Which is a shame as she deserved a nomination more than at least a few of them from that year, as I recall.

Anyway, I saw this movie last week. The acting from Rapace, Farrell and Howard was top notch. The plot and story was generic and forgettable though. It is a so-so film. Perhaps Rapace will be like Farrell, a good talent in independent films who never can seem to make it big in those wide releases or blockbusters. Though Prometheus and Sherlock Holmes 2 were technically hits, you're right she doesn't have any heat off them. Then again Farrell keeps getting lead parts after Fright Night, Total Recall, Miami Vice, The New World and Alexander all flopped. Long as he keeps showing up in roles like In Bruges, I think he can continue to find work in the indies. Though, I feel like his time in big Hollywood productions has come to an end.
Maybe she well be like Farrell. I wouldn't rule that out.

I don't find Salander to be an interesting character at all and neither her nor Mara were anything note worthy in the role in my opinion. And I thought she was a bland non factor in Prometheus just like the Tom Hardy clone. It's not a big deal though, just a differing opinion of an actress. Not that you were trying to make it a big deal, that's just a phrase I like to use.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:

To be fair, I don't think the "underperformance" of SH2 and Prometheus were her fault (I actually thought she was superb in Prometheus). I think she's a non-factor in those (she didn't help it but she didn't kill it either). I do agree though that she's not breaking out or being buzzed about as much as Hollywood seems to want her to.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I didn't say those movies were her fault or that she should get credit if one liked those films. I said she is a non factor, her problem is that not enough people care. If she gets another high profile role maybe things will change. And I'm only talking about her in the states because I don't know how high profile she is in europe.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 03-10-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe she well be like Farrell. I wouldn't rule that out.

I don't find Salander to be an interesting character at all and neither her nor Mara were anything note worthy in the role in my opinion. And I thought she was a bland non factor in Prometheus just like the Tom Hardy clone. It's not a big deal though, just a differing opinion of an actress. Not that you were trying to make it a big deal, that's just a phrase I like to use.
Fair enough. I thought she was captivating in TGWTDT and completely blew me away, even in the so-so sequels. A real tour de force. So much so, I am unsurprised that Ridley Scott also loved the performance so much he put her in Prometheus. It is just too bad that the role has one great scene, the "birth" scene, which she was great in. Otherwise, it was not very well written. Perhaps the sequel will let her grow. I have not kept up with it, but if Lindelof is not involved, there is hope.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
Project862006
Banned User

honestly she should be doing an action movie she has a great look for it imo

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I figured Prometheus was the thing that would put her in Linda Hamilton/Sigourney Weaver territory for Hollywood, but I think Chastain may be the one taking that role.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
Hunter Rider
Ronin

She'd make a good Bond girl.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #39
The Dark Defender
Unite and Fight

I think this movie was pretty great, probably the first great movie of the year.

Loved the relationship between Rapace and Farrell. The action was fairly generic but strong emotion and strong performances.

Lisbeth is one of the best female characters ever in a movie and she was fantastic in the role, she was good in Sherlock Holmes and she's excellent in Prometheus.

She's easily one of the best working actresses, she consistently gives very good to great performances in very good to great movies.

Oh, and I think she's gorgeous too, btw. Very unique and striking look.

She's infinitely superior in every way humanly possible to the overhyped, thoroughly mediocre Emma Stone, and she's atleast as good if not better than Jenlaw (who I love), even if she's not nearly as commercially successful.
She's also drastically better in every way than the likable but overrated Kate Beckinsale.

If Noomi never makes another movie, what she's already done is better than the entire resumes of most actresses.

Last edited by The Dark Defender; 03-11-2013 at 03:06 AM.
The Dark Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #40
jacobed
Banned User

Yeah I'd say you're going a bit overboard there

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #41
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Going out of your way to put other actresses down.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #42
The Dark Defender
Unite and Fight

I was comparing her to other actresses because she was being compared to other actresses in previous posts.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #43
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I thought the conversation was mostly about how her transition into American movies has gone.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #44
The Dark Defender
Unite and Fight

It was about how good she is, how successful she's been, and what she can do with what she has compared to others in the industry as far as I can tell.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #45
Hunter Rider
Ronin

This reminds me of the whole Ashley Greene tangent, at any rate I greatly prefer Emma Stone of the ones getting trashed as part of the boost Noomi project.

I don't think anyone overrates Kate Beckinsale, she is a solid actress with beauty and charm which makes her a decent female lead that people enjoy watching, nothing more or less.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #46
The Dark Defender
Unite and Fight

I think Beckinsale is a competent, pretty actress that's often overblown as one of the most gorgeous women in Hollywood. She's mostly overblown in the looks department, I pretty much agree with how she's generally perceived acting-wise.

I wouldn't say finding one mediocre(Stone), saying that I loved another one almost equally with the one I'm "boosting"(Jenlaw), and calling one likable but overrated(Beckinsale) qualifies as "trashing." That's certainly a rather loose interpretation of the term.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #47
Hunter Rider
Ronin

I don't know why you brought the others up at all is didn't prove anything because you're only stating an opinion, not a fact, it was simply putting down other actresses for no reason when people were merely saying that so far Noomi has not caught on with US audiences.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #48
The Dark Defender
Unite and Fight

I stated how I felt and why, didn't claim it to be fact.

I was comparing her to other actresses because...she was being compared to other actresses in previous posts.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #49
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:

I agree with all of this. I'm not really sure what some people see in Rapace; I wasn't a fan of her Salander portrayal... As a fan of the books, I felt she only embodied one aspect of the character at best, and I always thought she looked too old for the part. But tell that to some people (who have never read the books, mind you) and OMFG YER SO WRONG SHE DELIVERED THE BEST OSCAR WORTHY PERFORMANCE FOREVERS. I haven't been impressed AT ALL by any of her other performances... she was almost a non-character in Sherlock Holmes and her Prometheus character was pretty dull too. I haven't seen Dead Man Down yet, so maybe if she good in this I'll change my mind but for now, I'm not a fan of hers.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Defender View Post
I stated how I felt and why, didn't claim it to be fact.

I was comparing her to other actresses because...she was being compared to other actresses in previous posts.
They were comparing success.