Asa Butterfield!

Old 11-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Eddie Dean
Mr. Jackpots

Default Re: Batman/Bruce Wayne Casting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Asa Butterfield!
This is a good, context free first post.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Asa Butterfield!
Thanks for reminding me of this completely golden Shazam casting suggestion from a few months back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
Asa Butterfield as both young Billy Batson and Shazam via the magic of performance capture and cg.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 11-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Thanks for reminding me of this completely golden Shazam casting suggestion from a few months back...

Old 11-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: Batman/Bruce Wayne Casting Thread - Part 1

What I loved was that he was both too old for Billy and too young/not the right shape for Shazam. So, what? Motion capture both characters? What a budget...

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 11-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
What I loved was that he was both too old for Billy and too young/not the right shape for Shazam. So, what? Motion capture both characters? What a budget...
Yeah, that sounds like a terrible idea for a newly introduced character. They should be trying to keep the budget in check for an unproven hero, not throwing money away on wasteful ideas.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #9
Boom
I got nothin'

Andrew Lincoln
Anson Mount
Eion Bailey
Jake Gyllenhaal
Richard Armitage
Wes Bentley

Old 11-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
EyesOnly
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Andrew Lincoln
Anson Mount
Eion Bailey
Jake Gyllenhaal
Richard Armitage
Wes Bentley
Would REALLY LOVE to see an Anson Mount Batman!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
80s Bullock
Side-Kick

I cannot even think of one modern actor that I'd trust to play a great Batman. Bale was a good find back in the day, albeit a little bit dull. This scarcity of fitting actors comes from the decline of the stereotypical "dark, tall, blue-eyed and handsome" ideal of American society that was prevalent until the 80s. In past decades, it wouldn't have been hard to find a good actor for Batman.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
Sawyer
High King

I could think of a long list of actors who could do at least a serviceable job playing Batman.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 11-26-2017, 12:09 AM   #13
shauner111
Side-Kick

Just Batman? Sure. All three personas? Not so long of a list. Affleck proved that he can only do one of those sides well enough.

I'd rather not settle for mediocrity. I don't want "serviceable". That's what we got with Kilmer and Affleck. I want an actor who breaks new ground and is absolutely fascinating to watch in all three personas of the character. When you ask for that, there's a few names that can handle it at this point in their career.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 AM   #14
EyesOnly
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Just Batman? Sure. All three personas? Not so long of a list. Affleck proved that he can only do one of those sides well enough.

I'd rather not settle for mediocrity. I don't want "serviceable". That's what we got with Kilmer and Affleck. I want an actor who breaks new ground and is absolutely fascinating to watch in all three personas of the character. When you ask for that, there's a few names that can handle it at this point in their career.
Personally, I think Affleck did all three personas well in BvS. He played Batman well, Did the serious Bruce Wayne and the arrogant Prick Bruce Wayne.

I don't need an actor to break new ground and honestly, I'm unsure what that means when it comes to the character of Batman. Good writing and a good actor can do the character justice. I think we got that in Keaton, Bale and Affleck in what their respective stories called for. I don't think Affleck was on anyone's radar before he was cast, but i'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say he was a pleasant surprise. Again, i'm sure a lot of people (not all) were surprised they liked his interpretation. That said, I bet there are some actors out there flying under the radar that would surprise plenty of fans.

I'm super curious who the actors are you think can handle all three personas.

Last edited by EyesOnly; 11-26-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:27 AM   #15
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOnly View Post
Personally, I think Affleck did all three personas well in BvS. He played Batman well, Did the serious Bruce Wayne and the arrogant Prick Bruce Wayne.

I don't need an actor to break new ground and honestly, I'm unsure what that means when it comes to the character of Batman. Good writing and a good actor can do the character justice. I think we got that in Keaton, Bale and Affleck in what their respective stories called for. I don't think Affleck was on anyone's radar before he was cast, but i'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say he was a pleasant surprise. Again, i'm sure a lot of people (not all) were surprised they liked his interpretation. That said, I bet there are some actors out there flying under the radar that would surprise plenty of fans.

I'm super curious who the actors are you think can handle all three personas.
Affleck played public Wayne, private Wayne and Batman the exact same way. He was a arrogant prick with a confrontational attitude in private just like he was in public. As batman he looked around, spoke, delivered his lines like Bruce/Ben would. No variation. The only difference was a cowl over his face and people in post production adding a robot effect to his voice.

So I blame the writing, direction, and his acting.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 11-26-2017, 03:01 AM   #16
EyesOnly
Side-Kick

Quote:
Affleck played public Wayne, private Wayne and Batman the exact same way. He was a arrogant prick with a confrontational attitude in private just like he was in public. As batman he looked around, spoke, delivered his lines like Bruce/Ben would. No variation. The only difference was a cowl over his face and people in post production adding a robot effect to his voice.

I think we saw two different films..haha.

In private he was Bruce Wayne: Tired, Angry and conflicted. The way he acted At Lex's party, especially towards Clark, he was arrogant etc.. As Batman, well, he was Batman. He delivered his lines and showed emotion. No different (but different) than Bale's interpretation as Batman when he showed emotion. I guess I don't understand your disdain for Affleck. I respect it, but I don't understand it. I guess I don't have to, but would like to. It reads like you have a fatwa out for him..lol

Would still love to know what actors you think can effectively show all 3 different personas of the character.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #17
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:

I really didn't see some great variation either. He was basically different gradations of the same personality as opposed to say Bale and Conroy's versions who had distinct personas.

He had the imposing physical presence and he looked like he was out of a comic , but other than that ,never clicked as Batman to me the way Keaton and Bale did.

That's why I really don't feel some great love for his version of the character that alot of diehard fans seem to.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:46 AM   #18
Wheels
Eat my shorts
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't see a slam dunk anywhere but there are guys who would be fine in the role. It is what it is. There's no one to lose my mind over.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #19
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I don't see a slam dunk anywhere but there are guys who would be fine in the role. It is what it is. There's no one to lose my mind over.
There's also the matter of not really knowing how much of a hit someone will be until you've actually seen them in-character. NO ONE here was bringing up Heath's name for the Joker leading up to TDK, and when he was cast NO ONE knew just how much he would kill it.

Sometimes, I think we have to just trust that the people making these movies may know better than we do.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 11-26-2017, 01:32 AM   #20
Wheels
Eat my shorts
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
There's also the matter of not really knowing how much of a hit someone will be until you've actually seen them in-character. NO ONE here was bringing up Heath's name for the Joker leading up to TDK, and when he was cast NO ONE knew just how much he would kill it.

Sometimes, I think we have to just trust that the people making these movies may know better than we do.
This is true. I must say though, there is something special about seeing the majority of an online fanbase tally behind someone, then they get the part, and then they do very well.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 AM   #21
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Just wanted to mention something about the Ben Barnes suggestion...

I don't see him as Bruce material, but maybe ... Black Mask?

Idk, just a thought that popped into my head.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #22
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellblazer103 View Post
Just wanted to mention something about the Ben Barnes suggestion...

I don't see him as Bruce material, but maybe ... Black Mask?

Idk, just a thought that popped into my head.
Yeah I can see that.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Yeah I can see that.
He was totally giving me some Roman Sionis vibes in Punisher.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #24
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

He's probably not the best actor out there (given he's taken crappy roles), but what about Theo James?

He's got the voice for it.

Last edited by Kane52630; 11-26-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #25
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

What are your guys thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
He's probably not the best actor out there (given he's taken crappy roles), but what about Theo James?

He's got the voice for it.

Closed Thread