The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Batman

Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #501
Harrier
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ideas for the new costume in the Batman reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I really dislike armored batman. Batman doesn't need armor, he is the shadows, he needs to be able to move quickly.
It really does come down to a personal preference.

I enjoy some form of armor because I think it makes more sense for a number of reasons. That is, at least, for a live-action adaption. I think for an animated feature or comic-book it can be drawn to be kind of ambiguous where you don't need to look very armored to be able to believe Batman would give himself some protection against bullets/knives etc...

Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #502
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It really does come down to a personal preference.

I enjoy some form of armor because I think it makes more sense for a number of reasons. That is, at least, for a live-action adaption. I think for an animated feature or comic-book it can be drawn to be kind of ambiguous where you don't need to look very armored to be able to believe Batman would give himself some protection against bullets/knives etc...
Fabric armor exists BTW.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6526862.html

"A lightweight, ballistic resistant fabric armor constructed of multiple layers of high performance fiber woven fabric arranged in a quasi-isotropic orientation. The fabric armor is used in ballistic resistant garments to cover and protect vital portions of the human body. Used in a garment, the fabric armor is of minimal areal density and bulk while providing flexibility, freedom of movement, ventilation, and an inconspicuous appearance. The fabric armor meets many different global ballistic standards (e.g., the ballistic performance requirements of the National Institute of Justice Standard), with the number of woven fabric layers determined by the level of protection desired."

Sounds exactly like something Batman would wear.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #503
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

The chances that they will revive old concept art is low, but this some cool stuff!

spidermanJLA!~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #504
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

It would be interesting if the cowl resembled the cowl from the 1930s.

http://theleagueofheroes.yuku.com/to...l#.UC-9M91mRMQ
I would just make the ears slightly longer.

Also found this:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/562...dfh2dfcopy.jpg

Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #505
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
It would be interesting if the cowl resembled the cowl from the 1930s.

http://theleagueofheroes.yuku.com/to...l#.UC-9M91mRMQ
I would just make the ears slightly longer.
Love that cowl. Longer ears would make it perfect.

Though this would only really gel in a period Batman movie for me - something I'd love to see. Imagine a gritty 1940s noir Batman with this cowl. Man it would be awesome.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #506
JackIvyGB
Side-Kick

Personally, I my tastes fall in 2 places on this matter. A part of me is really interested in seeing Batman i a very James Bond-ian fashion. Unabashedly using technology and gadgets and being this really stealthy "now you see him, now you don't" type ninja spy character. All the moves, all the training, and still a degree of theatricality, but the fear criminals have of him is less of the possibility that he is some inhuman wraith and more that they just know if The Batman shows up, you are NOT getting away. In this regard, that concept art based on the Mass Effect armor is absolutely gorgeous in my eyes. The boots are a little robotic, yes, but that element of very obvious "this was made for kicking someone's rear" is there. I'd go with something that looks more like a boot, but a boot made for some sort of high speed high energy activity. The suit was made for infiltrating, surviving, disappearing, and takedowns. I honestly don't mind the glowing bits on the armor. If they were ditched, it wouldn't bug me. I absolutely love them on the different areas of his belt though.

On the other hand, I would love to see a Batman who's sut reflected a very almost "other-worldly" quality. Whereas the previous suit could be something or parts of many things he appropriated to be a bat-suit, this one would cause you to look at it and know that it's sole purpose was to be a batsuit. The lines, the design, it almost looks like it could be alive. Not like it's moving ar anything, but it could very much cause a scared crook to second guess whether the Batmn is human. I would have a recessed Bat logo as opposed to a raised one, and I'd go back to the more gothic, oval-less curved wing design as opposed to anything else. I'd use the comic style grey and black colors for this one. There'd be no need to worry about all black stealth. It'd be all about draping his cape and hiding and sneaking and becoming almost paranormal in the minds of the people he hunted. I play with the idea of using hi tich contacts, possibly being translucent, so they give his eyes a strange milky appearance, but only when he's using them for an actual function (ie infra red, sonar, etc). Otherwise, you just see his normal eyes and the contacts are clear. I would play up the inhuman aspects on the suit. Maybe the cape has "fingers" or "veins" leading down to each scallop, maybe the belt is actually part of the suit or clips onto it somehow, that kind of stuff.

Regardless of the suit we get, I have one stipulation... PLEASE. DON'T MAKE THE EARS ANY LONGER THAN THEY WERE IN THE NOLAN FILMS. Those were the perfect length. I don't care if you want to curve them forward, backward, make them straight, or even try them shorter. Just PLEASE don't make them longer. It just looks absolutely ridiculous, and I'm sure it will even moreso in live action.

JackIvyGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #507
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I don't see why longer ears would look ridiculous in live-action. We've seen more out there things being done that worked out just fine. No one had a problem with Loki's long horns in Avengers. Plus, they don't have to be twice the size of his head. The JLU TV show is a good example of good long ears.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #508
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Loki's long horned helmet was constantly cast out in the combat scenes.

Rocanrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #509
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

I think the problem with going for a "is he an inhuman monster?" look to the batsuit, is that there is no drama regarding that for the audience. We all *know* he's Bruce Wayne, and that he's not a vampire or demon.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #510
keith_v
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
I'd like to see the new Batman costume having eyes that are visible when up close and turns white in the dark or the further away he is.
This would be great. So many people think that digitally making his eyes white or adding white contacts are the best way to capture the comic look, it really shocks me. Contacts or CGI eyes would look horrible and extremely distracting, but to add lenses to the cowl that are tinted white and translucent would be an excellent way of making him look like the comic while still allowing the actor to express through his eyes. They could also go with clear, but highly reflective lenses that can catch a lot of light when they are filming, similar to the lenses in Amazing Spiderman.

keith_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #511
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I'd like to see something like this in live action.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #512
Rodrigo90
Wink wink ;)

The chances of that are slim and nil lol

Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #513
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

You know what I like about those concept sketches above? The fact that as early as that they were considering a design that would separate the cowl from the neck and give it movement. I'm not so sure that would have worked with the neck essentially being a big collar, but it's an interesting design choice.

The fourth one down I'd like for a steampunk Batman.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #514
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

A little old timey for me personally. I'd go with the second one down.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #515
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I want the yellow and black emblem to return.

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #516
Rodrigo90
Wink wink ;)

The second one down looks like if Batman is wearing a girdle!

Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #517
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Well okay the first one w/o the circle on the bat.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #518
Harrier
Side-Kick

Just curious for everyone what the appeal of the Yellow and Black emblem is?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #519
the last son
Side-Kick

The symbol just looks cool and comic bookie. All black suit with the emblem is just cool looking, imo.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #520
the last son
Side-Kick

All that I ask is that we never get a suit with underwear over it. Those days should be over for any superhero period.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #521
Harrier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
The symbol just looks cool and comic bookie. All black suit with the emblem is just cool looking, imo.
The thing about the yellow emblem for me is that it doesn't make much sense if you want Batman to be intimidating at all. In the animated series I thought the second batsuit was vastly superior. I think the yellow in a movie would just not work.

Last edited by Harrier; 09-11-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #522
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I agree. I was never a big fan of the yellow and black symbol either. I don't hate it but I much prefer the black-on-grey symbol and always thought it looked better. I also thought the second suit (and the suit in the Robin's Reckoning flashbacks) looked better than the first suit in TAS.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #523
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

What would you think if DC/WB adapted into live action the Jim Lee "Hush" Bat-Suit for the next film? {Minus the trunks.}

Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #524
Spider-Fan83
with great power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
What would you think if DC/WB adapted into live action the Jim Lee "Hush" Bat-Suit for the next film? {Minus the trunks.}

is that a Wayne Enterprise logo on the bottom of his boot?

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #525
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post

The problem with posting photos from the comics as an example for a new suit is that they often don't follow actual human anatomy.

The hush suit itself is nothing special its mainly the way batman himself is animated by jim lee. No human on earth has those proportions and any suit based on that would look radically different in real life.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote