Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
Gilpesh
Banned User

Default Re: The Sarah Palin thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Would you consider a politician who has made her mark in cutting government corruption and cutting government costs - including her own salary in some cases - a change from the Bush doctrine?
It's early in her career... she has to look good now. Then later she can go crazy like Bush and McCain.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #27
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle View Post
I didn't say, or even imply that she didn't have positive aspects.
as to the "youth and excitement" thing? if grandpa starts hanging out with your friends and talking about the new "rise against" record?
guess what. he is still grandpa, so while you might be right I remain skeptical about this.
if say John Edwards had gotten the nod from the dems, and people called him "more of the same" and weeks prior there was speculation of him picking Biden, hell Kerry (just as an example) and then he picked Bill Richardson.
I would be like "waiiiiiiiit a minute....." wouldn't you? and Richardson is quite qualified.last I checked.
No because speculation is very rarely ever relevant or based on reality.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
X Knight
Watchful Protector

she's more of an outsider than Biden.........lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #29
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Bats View Post
wow!! I must say this pick was certainly........out of left field!!

I thought McCain would pick Romeny or that Pawlenty guy.

But......wow!! My only concern would be her somewhat lack of experience, as that slightly undercuts McCain's ( and my ) biggest attack against Obama.

However, a counter to that would be that she's actually GOVERNOR of a state and was mayor before. So she does have some executive experience. She also seems to be strong on "core conservative principles" while still being somewhat of a maverick herself, fighting against corruption in politics. And she does seem to be a very strong and independent minded woman.

Anyways.......as a young, male conservative....I must say this is TRULY AN HISTORIC CAMPAIGN!!!

No matter which party wins, for the 1st time in history, we will have the 1st AFRICAN AMERICAN president in the whitehouse, or the 1st FEMALE vice president in the whitehouse.

so.........truly historic indeed.......go McCain/ Palin!!!!
I agree. She has more Public Service Experience than Obama, she fights for her beliefs, fights Corruption, and Cuts Spending. I'm actually excited about this ticket.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=290666
or http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=347909

"Everyday that Congress meets, you lose a little bit more of your Liberty"
Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #30
Malice
BMFH

She is HOT!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #31
Malice
BMFH

She has my vote.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #32
Mr Sparkle
Banned User

Quote:
No because speculation is very rarely ever relevant or based on reality.

well like I said I would, because simply recognizing something as strategic doesn't make it less valid, just strategic.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #33
terry78
Will you shut up?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
She has my vote.
You are ready to move up from Hype administration to political pundit, my friend.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #34
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
She has my vote.

McCain could have announced that his running mate was Corky and he'd have your vote.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #35
StorminNorman
Banned User

Obama's press release on the Palin pick downplayed the importance of small towns - a bad move on his campaign's part.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #36
Tron5000
Side-Kick

Does anyone think Obama and Biden will go after Palin for her "lack of experience"?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #37
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Wow. I was so sure it was going to be Pawlenty. Who knew? This is a shrewd political decision on McCain's part for two reasons: a) She is governor of Alaska and supports offshore drilling in her state (in a wildlife REFUGE no less) which is the first legitimate issue that for better or worse brought Obama back to earth in the polls. And b) She is a woman, so McCain is obviously reaching out to disgruntled Hillary supporters who polls show are still at 3 million or so. I think this will cause at least a third of that to flock to the ticket, at least for the next week or two.

If no controversies come out about her -- though I'm already hearing one in that she fired a department head on a personal family reason -- then well played Mr. McCain, well played.

To add one thing though: When I heard this, besides the shock of who it was, it seemed really like bad judgement on McCain's behalf to pick someone who has only been governor for two years, thereby giving her less "national level" experience than Barack Obama. Yes she was a mayor for many years, but that is on a local level and Obama was in the state legislature for just as long and no matter how short his stint was as a community organizer....it all kind of matched up.

I will say this, she will give McCain a bump in the following week for angry Hillary Clinton supporters, but I have doubts if she will go well toe-to-toe with Joe Biden, time will tell. In any case, I just have to go.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #38
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Is palin a change candidate? does she represent a change from bush doctrine?
Well, she's for spending cuts, which Bush has only said he's for, but hasn't proven it in 8 years.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #39
Franklin Richards
Banned User

No but Biden might point out the similarities and bring to light how ridiculous that argument is.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #40
Zen
Binary Oneness

Im just confused, john McCain said he would choose someone who could be ready to be President should anything happen to him.

Shes been a govenor for a whole year. can he really make the experience argument anymore?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #41
Mr Sparkle
Banned User

it's McCain's tacit endorsement/invalidation of all his "inexperience" claims against Obama.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #42
Malice
BMFH

Honestly....I have never even heard of her.
I read some information and she actually sounds interesting.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #43
bunk
superhero fan

A Biden/Palin debate will be.... interesting.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #44
SuBe
Voluntaryist

Quote:
Obama's press release on the Palin pick downplayed the importance of small towns - a bad move on his campaign's part.
Can someone post it?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #45
Mr Sparkle
Banned User

But seriously.....wasn't McCain's largest attacks against Obama his "inexperience"?
he should've picked Abe Lincoln's reanimated corpse over this woman, yet.....?
no one here seeing the irony?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #46
Tron5000
Side-Kick

Sarah Palin on the Issues

http://palinforvp.blogspot.com/2007/...on-issues.html

FREE MARKET – “I am a conservative Republican, a firm believer in free market capitalism. A free market system allows all parties to compete, which ensures the best and most competitive project emerges, and ensures a fair, democratic process.”

GUNS AND HUNTING - “I am a lifetime member of the NRA, I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska's youth….I have always strongly supported the personal use of fish and game by Alaskans. I grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska, and I am proud to raise my children with this same uniquely Alaskan heritage. … Anti-hunting groups who oppose hunting and fishing rights will be the winners if we allow them to pit us against ourselves….As an Alaskan with strong beliefs on this issue, I am confident in my ability to build consensus among diverse user groups and reconcile the many competing interests in a manner.”

SMALL BUSINESS – “As Mayor and CEO of the booming city of Wasilla, my team invited investment and encouraged business growth by eliminating small business inventory taxes, eliminated personal property taxes, reduced real property tax mill levies every year I was in office, reduced fees, and built the infrastructure our businesses needed to grow and prosper.”

MILITARY - “I respect our military personnel and understand the importance of Alaska's National Guard. As I watched our military men and women being deployed I recognized how important it is for their families to know how much Alaska and America support them.”

HEALTH CARE – “I support flexibility in government regulations that allow competition in health care that is needed, and is proven to be good for the consumer, which will drive down health care costs and reduce the need for government subsidies. I also support patients in their rightful demands to have access to full medical billing information.”

SOCIAL ISSUES – “I am pro-life and I believe that marriage should only be between and man and a woman.”

ENVIRONMENT – “Regimes to protect Stellar Sea Lions must be based on sound science not personal agendas…I will fight in every way possible to make sure that our fishing communities are protected from the personal agendas of federal fishery managers”

“I believe in protecting Alaska's environment through fair enforcement of our environmental laws. Having a clean record on environmental regulation is critical to getting ANWR open and maintaining our fisheries mining, timber, and tourism industries.”

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #47
Raiden
Hela Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron5000 View Post
Does anyone think Obama and Biden will go after Palin for her "lack of experience"?
Well, McCain is still going after Obama about his lack of experience, so I don't see why not since she doesn't have it more than Obama (being a governor for 1 year in Alaska doesn't scream experienced).

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

RIP Vartha
Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #48
Tron5000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
No but Biden might point out the similarities and bring to light how ridiculous that argument is.

Obama has no executive experience. Palin has been mayor and CEO of a city, was elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors (in her first year), has experience at the executive level as governor of a state (in which position she is in charge of the Alaska National Guard), she served on Alaska's Oil & Natural Gas Conservation Commission...Obama has never run as much as a corner drug store.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #49
Gilpesh
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron5000 View Post
MILITARY - “I respect our military personnel and understand the importance of Alaska's National Guard. As I watched our military men and women being deployed I recognized how important it is for their families to know how much Alaska and America support them.”
Wow... way to say nothing at all. It didn't make you want them to come back soon? Or get better equipment so they won't die?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #50
Franklin Richards
Banned User

An alderman in Chicago prolly has more political acumen than the governor of Alaska. Much less a state senator.

Closed Thread