Default Re: State Your Opinion on a Character - Part 2

The Fixer

Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #902
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

From Wiki:

Quote:
Holy Terror is a graphic novel by Frank Miller[1] which follows a superhero named the Fixer as he battles Muslim terrorists after an attack on Empire City. Miller has described the book as "a piece of propaganda",[2] and claimed that it is "bound to offend just about everybody."[3]
The book was originally proposed as Holy Terror, Batman! in 2006 but is no longer a project associated with the Batman character or DC Comics. Miller explained in 2010, "It’s no longer a DC book. I decided partway through it that it was not a Batman story."
Quote:
As originally announced the plot revolved around Batman defending Gotham City from an attack by the Islamist terrorist group Al-Qaeda. According to Miller, the comic would have been a "piece of propaganda" in which Batman "kicks Al-Qaeda's ass."[5] Miller announced the graphic novel during a panel at the WonderCon comic book convention held in San Francisco in 2006.[6] He summarized the work as, "not to put too fine a point on it, a piece of propaganda... Superman punched out Hitler. So did Captain America. That's one of the things they're there for."[2]
The title of the graphic novel is a reference to the War on Terrorism as well as the catchphrase ("Holy [something], Batman!") used by Burt Ward (Robin) in the 1960s Batman television series.[7]
Later that year, on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, NPR aired a brief memorial commentary by Miller which provided insight into his inspiration for this project: "For the first time in my life I know how it feels to face an existential menace. They want us to die. All of a sudden I realize what my parents were talking about all those years. Patriotism, I now believe, isn't some sentimental, old conceit. It's self-preservation. I believe patriotism is central to a nation's survival. Ben Franklin said it: If we don't all hang together, we all hang separately."[8]
In a May 2007 interview Miller relayed that he was still at work on the graphic novel which he said was "bound to offend just about everybody". Miller also said he was about 100 pages into it with 50 remaining.[3] The following year Miller said the series, until then being billed as Holy War, Batman, would no longer feature Batman. "As I worked on it, it became something that was no longer Batman. It's somewhere past that and I decided it's going to be part of a new series that I'm starting.”[9]
In 2010, Miller said he was no longer working on that project,[10] clarifying that Holy Terror was in progress but without Batman.[11] He later said it would feature a new character called The Fixer and not be published by DC: "It's no longer a DC book. I decided partway through it that it was not a Batman story. The hero is much closer to Dirty Harry than Batman. It's a new hero that I've made up that fights Al Qaeda."

Old 12-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #903
Anubis
Sup?

Ah, when everybody realized that Frank Miller had lost his mind.

H.E.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #904
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Now I need to watch Dirty Harry
And forget Frank Miller ever wrote a comic book after Batman Year One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
What about Lisa? Or Doctor Hibbert.
They're bad characters
But it's in a charming way, like Dr. Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.

Last edited by Spider-Aziz; 12-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #905
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Yeah, it's pretty reprehensible alright. The guy's work had been dire before this (see All-Star Batman and Robin)
But those were just bad comic books, THIS is basically a 120 page statement from Frank Miller saying, "Hello World! I'm a complete ****ing lunatic now! LOLZZZ"

Grant Morrison put it nicely:

Quote:
Batman vs. Al Qaeda! It might as well be Bin Laden vs. King Kong! Or how about the sinister Al Qaeda mastermind up against a hungry Hannibal Lecter! For all the good it's likely to do. Cheering on a fictional character as he beats up fictionalized terrorists seems like a decadent indulgence when real terrorists are killing real people in the real world. I'd be so much more impressed if Frank Miller gave up all this graphic novel nonsense, joined the Army and, with a howl of undying hate, rushed headlong onto the front lines with the young soldiers who are actually risking life and limb 'vs.' Al Qaeda.

Last edited by Wesley Dodds; 12-17-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #906
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
What tha **** is that bastard?
Is that based on a movie?
They're bad characters
But it's in a charming way, like Dr. Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters

...You're an odd duck Aziz.

H.E.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #907
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Nexus

Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #908
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

From Wiki:

Quote:
The lead character, Horatio Valdemar Hellpop, received his Nexus powers from an alien entity called the Merk. As payment, the Merk required Nexus to seek out and kill a certain quantity of human mass murderers per "cycle". When the Merk selected a target, Nexus would receive strong headaches and maddeningly anguishing dreams (whose extremely intense episodes caused physical injuries to Hellpop's body that emulated the dream violence) of his target's victims until he did his duty. Horatio was reluctant to act as the Merk's tool, but continued seeking out mass murderers to maintain his power and his sanity so that he could defend his homeworld, a lunar refuge of Ylum (a shortening of the word "asylum," thus pronounced "eye-lum").
Horatio's father, Theodore, was a communist general and ruler of the planet Vradic. A religious uprising led by his brother-in-law threatened to overthrow the Sov government, which he had been ordered to uphold "at all costs." General Hellpop chose to detonate a bomb and destroy the planet, killing ten million people, then piloted an escape capsule with himself and his wife into a black hole. Surprisingly, it was a wormhole, which ejected them near Ylum, where Horatio was born.
As Horatio grew up, the Merk first influenced him through apparently imaginary friends named Alph and Beta. However, when Horatio's mother died (becoming lost in the tunnels of the planet), Horatio blamed them for her death and killed them in the first use of his power. Shortly afterward, Horatio began to dream about his father's crimes, causing himself inescapable torment. In this agony, Alph and Beta mysteriously appeared to reveal the duties of Nexus necessary to end the ordeal: the execution of his own father. With considerable personal agony (and unaware that his father was already on the verge of suicide), Horatio carried out the execution.
Left alone for two years, Horatio began to dream of the murderous oppressors of the Thunes, led by the Manager, and set out to deal with them in costume as Nexus for the first time. After the execution was carried out, Nexus agreed to take the Thune prisoners to Ylum to protect them from reprisals. Ylum thus became an asylum world, with the Thune prisoner, Dave, becoming both senior manager and Horatio's closest confidant.
Nexus would often find himself in the painful position of assassinating someone who had repented their former days of infamy, and desired only to be left alone with their guilt. Several of his targets were completely ignorant that their shortsighted actions had inadvertently caused the deaths of others. Fortunately, at least one such target was allowed to commit suicide when confronted by Nexus (death by suicide was punishment enough to the killer to end Nexus's relevant dreams). For the most part, however, his targets were unrepentant murderers, a number of whom had enslaved or otherwise exploited their victims before causing their deaths, thus allowing Nexus to execute them with a clear conscience.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #909
Anubis
Sup?

Always wanted to read that. That dudes got a hell of a look. Yeah I know it's Cyclops, but LOOK! He's shooting freakin' lasers out of his HANDS. So, totally different.

H.E.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #910
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

It sounds really interesting. Apparently the thing's won 6 Eisners too. Might be worth filing away for future reference.

Found a promo they made for a possible animated series they made. Love how "Space Ghost" this feels:

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #911
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Cowboy Ninja Viking

Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #912
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

From Wiki:

Quote:
The series revolves around a counter-intelligence unit of Multiple Personality Disorder patients, formed by psychotherapist Dr. Sebastian Ghislain, who are transformed into agents known as Triplets (referring to the three different personalities inside their minds). It is hinted that this is possible through experimental psychiatric conditioning and treatment, psychotropic drugs, and past life regression therapy. After the unit falls apart, its various members are turned into hired killers. Duncan, a Triplet who channels the skills of a Cowboy, Ninja, and Viking, is sent to find and stop the rogue Triplets.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #913
Anubis
Sup?

Jesus H Christ, for realz?

H.E.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #914
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Nexus should be a legacy character, just like Witchblade

Cowboy Ninja Viking looks a bit like Wolverine

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #915
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Aaaaaand we're back!

Here's todays:

FreakAngels

Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #916
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Warren Ellis' webcomic.

From Wiki:

Quote:
FreakAngels is a Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction webcomic created in 2008 by Eagle Award-winning writer Warren Ellis and artist Paul Duffield, and published in book format by Avatar Press. The plot focuses on twelve 23-year-old psychics living in Whitechapel six years after civilization in Great Britain is destroyed.
Quote:
Ellis' synopsis of the plot involves characters "living in a post-flood London that they might possibly have had something to do with."[1] The so-called FreakAngels, who possess telepathy and many other "special" abilities, such as space-time manipulation/distortion, and pyrokinesis, live in Whitechapel.[3]
As the story progresses, eleven of the FreakAngels are introduced and their role in the community is expanded. For the most part cooperatively they have created a small community of roughly three hundred people with fresh water, watch towers, markets, home-grown vegetables and a medical clinic. Their society is threatened, however, externally from refugee attacks and internally from personal conflicts and crime.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #917
Duke
Banned User

Never heard of them till now.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #918
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

I've been hearing the name around the internet for years but never bothered to look into what it actually was.
Ellis is usually worth a look, so I might give it a try at some point...

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #919
Anubis
Sup?

Freak Angels....eh. Can't say I care for the name, but Ellis is almost always good. Especially with creator owned stuff.

H.E.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #920
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Okay, so this sounds really interesting. Great premise, lovely artwork:

John Blacksad

Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #921
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

From Wiki:

Quote:
Blacksad is a comic album series created by Spanish authors Juan Díaz Canales (writer) and Juanjo Guarnido (artist), and published by French publisher Dargaud. Though both authors are Spanish, their main target audience for Blacksad is the French market[1] and thus they publish all Blacksad volumes in French first; the Spanish edition usually follows about one month later.[2] The first volume Quelque part entre les ombres (literally Somewhere between the Shadows, but simply called Blacksad in the US) was published in November 2000. The second volume, Arctic-Nation, was published in 2003 and the third, Âme Rouge (Red Soul), was published in 2005. An English translation of the third volume was delayed due to the bankruptcy of its North American publisher, iBooks. In 2010, Dark Horse Comics published all three translated volumes as one volume.[3] The publication of this 184-page collection also coincided with the European release of the series' fourth installment, L'Enfer, Le silence (literally Hell, Silence), in September 2010.
The series has been translated from the original French and Spanish into Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Czech, English, Finnish, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Swedish, and Turkish.
Guarnido and Diaz Canales have received several prizes for the series, including three Eisner Award nominations and an Angoulême Prize for Artwork.
Quote:
Rendered in a film noir style, the stories are set in late 1950s America. All of the characters are anthropomorphic animals whose species reflects their personality, character type and role in the story. Animal stereotypes are often used: for example, nearly all of the policemen are canids, such as German Shepherds, Bloodhounds, and foxes, while underworld characters are often reptiles or amphibians. Female characters are often much more human looking than their male counterparts, especially those filling the role of love interest to more important characters.
The strip attempts at recreating a dirty-realist outlook and a dark cinematic style through fairly clean, realistic lines. Very detailed watercolor drawings, including real-life places and cities, also contribute to the realistic feel of the series, despite the fact that characters are animals. The style of drawing has evolved throughout the series, with later issues displaying sharper, higher-quality colour and fewer grainy lines.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #922
Duke
Banned User

That looks like a pissed off kitty who hasn't had his Meow Mix.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #923
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Two entries with art I like to look at
I thought Blacksad has a cat mask on, not his face

YOUTUBE

Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #924
Anubis
Sup?

Oh man, that art is sick.

They got an english translation?

H.E.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #925
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I don't like to see cat lady with boobs
When she's a humanoid cat

YOUTUBE

Closed Thread