Mafia III
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/0...t-gen-consoles
Thief 4
http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/07/cryt...s-catching-up/

Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #328
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Default Re: The next Xbox

It will probably take me 3 to 4 years to get a next gen console after their release. I just can't justify getting one so soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #329
X Knight
Watchful Protector

I hope MS takes a page from Sony and offers free online play and internet browsing on the next XBOX.

I shouldn't have to pay extra to access the multiplayer content of a game I've already spent $40-$60 on, especially if the multiplayer is a good chunk of the game.

I also shouldn't have to pay extra to access something like Youtube through my console, when I can watch it for free on my computer (aside from the internet fee, of course).

if you want to charge extra for premium content or perks, then fine. but basic stuff like being able to play others online should be free.

I'm already paying a fee for internet access. I shouldn't have to pay extra on top of that.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #330
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I hope MS takes a page from Sony and offers free online play and internet browsing on the next XBOX.

I shouldn't have to pay extra to access the multiplayer content of a game I've already spent $40-$60 on, especially if the multiplayer is a good chunk of the game.

I also shouldn't have to pay extra to access something like Youtube through my console, when I can watch it for free on my computer (aside from the internet fee, of course).

if you want to charge extra for premium content or perks, then fine. but basic stuff like being able to play others online should be free.

I'm already paying a fee for internet access. I shouldn't have to pay extra on top of that.
No chance of that mate. Why would they kiss goodbye to all that income? Sony might advertise it as a plus for their console (which it undoubtedly is) but I'm sure they would rather have done the same as MS early on as it's difficult for them to give in now and not look really bad. 5 years or so of live subscriptions is equivalent to an extra console sale (with no significant fixed costs/production costs).

For people who regularly play online with friends and are in parties every day it is a great service. I don't want to pay for it but I can see why they get away with it. For guys who only play single player games or multiplayer alone it's not worth it.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #331
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

It's 5 bucks a month, and you can (very) frequently buy Gold memberships on sale for 30-40 bucks.

I have both a PS3 and a 360 and there is no question that everything online just functions better on the 360. I have no problem paying for it.

Last edited by StrainedEyes; 08-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #332
Benstamania
Go away.

^Agreed.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #333
Soapy
Sieg Zeon

I'm really torn on Xbox Live. I mean I love that it works flawlessly 99% of the time. I don't love that Microsoft is holding multiplayer hostage when no one else does that. I mean, having to pay to access a feature on the disc you bought when people on other platforms don't is pretty scummy. Also, the video app stuff is weird. You're basically paying Microsoft...so you can then pay someone else. It's weird.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #334
X Knight
Watchful Protector

I agree with Soapy.

it's more of the principle of not being able to access the full content of a product you paid money for.

It's like you go to an arcade, put a quarter into a machine to play a game, but if you want to play against someone else, or access another "mode" of the game, you have to put in another quarter.

that's not right. you'll feel cheated, like they're just sucking money from you.

Multiplayer/online play IS a part of the game's content on the disc. if you don't have Live, you'll see the "online mode" on the menu screen greyed out. you're being denied access to content in a product that you already paid for because you didn't pay for an extra subscription.

even if the subscription is relatively inexpensive, it's still extra money you have to shell out ( in addition to DLC, etc. ). and if you hardly play online/multiplayer ( like me ), it's really not worth it.

but, again, it's the principle of not being able to access the full content of something that I paid good money for.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #335
TX85
Banned User

Mafia III FTW!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #336
Mentok
Side-Kick

HAI GUYS REMEMBER ME?

I'LL JUST LEAVE THIS HERE.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #337
jacobed
Banned User

I don't the ps4 will be free. They can't afford it. Why do you think they released the playstaton plus. It's there way of slowing integrating people into paying for online.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #338
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I agree with Soapy.

it's more of the principle of not being able to access the full content of a product you paid money for.

It's like you go to an arcade, put a quarter into a machine to play a game, but if you want to play against someone else, or access another "mode" of the game, you have to put in another quarter.

that's not right. you'll feel cheated, like they're just sucking money from you.

Multiplayer/online play IS a part of the game's content on the disc. if you don't have Live, you'll see the "online mode" on the menu screen greyed out. you're being denied access to content in a product that you already paid for because you didn't pay for an extra subscription.

even if the subscription is relatively inexpensive, it's still extra money you have to shell out ( in addition to DLC, etc. ). and if you hardly play online/multiplayer ( like me ), it's really not worth it.

but, again, it's the principle of not being able to access the full content of something that I paid good money for.
I think nearly everyone would agree with you. Most are willing to pay it though even if they disagree with the principle as the service is great for anyone who uses the party system daily. It's almost as important to me as the games I'm playing.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #339
Iceman
Infinity War!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/xb...lges-50008862/

Everything (see earlier links) is pointing to Xmas 2013.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #340
Benstamania
Go away.

There's been Xbox Live Gold forever.. I have zero problems paying for it due to the great service XBL gives me back. I also don't believe PSN will be free on the PS4... Sony will probably bring a lot of stuff to the PSN that's already on the 360... Example: I think XGVC and group chat will be on the PS4... I would pay 50 a year for that alone.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #341
Iceman
Infinity War!

What's XGVC? Does PS3 not have group chat (for people playing different games)? Thought it would have had by now.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #342
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

They're a little behind on "party chat".

Speaking of which, does anyone else think "party chat" should be made available to silver members? It's pretty much just a skype call...

America today finds herself in a unique situation... to become involved in a bloodless revolution
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #343
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentok View Post
HAI GUYS REMEMBER ME?
Nope... of course... not. <_< >_>

Old 08-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #344
Benstamania
Go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
What's XGVC? Does PS3 not have group chat (for people playing different games)? Thought it would have had by now.
XGCV = Cross game voice chat. Oddly the Vita has it but Sony already said the PS3 wouldn't get it and that they were looking into that feature on the next system.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #345
Mentok
Side-Kick

anyone got cash?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=221100568971

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #346
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
XGCV = Cross game voice chat. Oddly the Vita has it but Sony already said the PS3 wouldn't get it and that they were looking into that feature on the next system.
Ok thanks. Guess it must have been difficult technically to integrate into the current system. It's a big miss for anyone who is likely to use it a lot but at least it will make the PS4 a lot more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentok View Post
Wow!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #347
DrDoom
Dictator

Regarding the paying for X-Box Live vs Free Playstation Online debate, my friends and I often argue about this point also.

I'm pro X-Box Live. My opinion is I'd rather pay to eat a steak than eat a piece of crap for free lol

Yeah Live isn't free but its just >$60 a year, thats nothing for a much better service and options than PS Online

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #348
Iceman
Infinity War!

For anyone who uses its best features regularly it's excellent. For those who play single player only or multiplayer alone and don't like using mics or talking to XBox friends often, it's a waste. I don't think I'd be as into games as much as I am now if I didn't talk about them every day with friends playing other games.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #349
Soapy
Sieg Zeon

It's not a question of the quality of the service, it's an ethical problem of Microsoft putting a feature on the disc behind an arbitrary pay wall that's freely available on every other platform.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #350
Iceman
Infinity War!

I don't think anyone ever accused Microsoft of being ethical. Most who love Live (seem to) agree that there is something wrong with being asked to pay but do so (maybe grudgingly) because of the quality of the service (if relevant to their style of gaming). I'm sure Sony would rather have done the same thing if they could go back rather than taking the temporary moral high ground. It's not a compulsory service and the main reason we believe it should be free is because all other platforms have given it for free but maybe they all made a goof and are throwing away free money (which Sony certainly could do with). Maintaining Live incurs costs but I'm sure Microsoft could afford to charge a lot less for it. If Sony keep it free for PS4 while adding XGVC I'll give them respect.

Closed Thread