The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

View Poll Results: Where does most TDK's negative feedback come from?
People who hate Batman. 8 4.57%
People who hate Heath Ledger. 5 2.86%
Purists. 10 5.71%
Burton fans. 20 11.43%
Kids. 4 2.29%
Eyecandy seekers. 1 0.57%
unsophisticatists. 2 1.14%
Hollywood elitists. 6 3.43%
People who think realism is boring. 13 7.43%
People who think itís conservative. (Controversial) 4 2.29%
People who think all superhero movies should follow the same format. 19 10.86%
It makes people feel special. 39 22.29%
Other. 44 25.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #801
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Where does most of TDK's critisism come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Have you seen the movie? the Spider-Man costume is pretty damn bright in ASM.

Anyway, that's like saying GI JOE: Rise of Cobra is a gritty movie because everyone is wearing black...
The color palette of the new film just looks more vibrant and reminds me more of the Raimi films. More daytime action in NYC, the big lenses, it all just feels more comic booky. It feels like a huge contrast from the first film, which is fine. Webb understandably wants to keep things fresh for himself and the audience.

There was a recent quote from Hugh Jackman about how Nolan shared with him that when he first saw the first X-Men film, he thought, "Dammit...someone beat me to the punch." (re: doing a more "realism" based superhero film).

The point isn't that Nolan invented any of this stuff, but I feel like every era has it's culturally defining blockbusters that really capture the zeitgeist and you can feel the ripple effect of that in other movies, sometimes in small ways, sometimes in big ways. It's like fashion. Things go in and out of style, but usually there's something that sparks that and makes it cool.

That is until it's "not cool anymore", which is kind of the phase we're entering now and why every studio currently seems to be chasing Marvel's model for their superhero properties.

But, when you have guys like Mendes and Abrams flat out talking about TDK in reference to their own movies, when you have Jon Favreau specifically talking about BB in reference to how he approached Iron Man then yeah...it's fair to say there's been some influence.

I think an unfortunate side effect of TDKT's popularity is that you have more "Zimmer clone" scores than ever now, and that's even if you leave out the overuse of the "Inception horn" in trailers and stuff.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 02-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #802
milost
Banned User

Well it doesn't help when Zimmer is scoring them all now. I thought it was so odd when he was announced for ASM2. Batman, Superman, Batman and Superman, Spider-Man now too?

I don't know about other people, but I'm sort of burned out by these superhero/comic book films. I mean, I'll always be there for Batman, but even that feels like it's been burnt out. It's not a Marvel or DC thing either, but all of them as a whole. After Guardians in the Galaxy and phase 2 wraps up, it's like "what else is there"? It just feels like too much to me. Part of me was really pumped about Batman vs. Superman, I've wanted to see that depiction on film. Now that other comic book characters are being shoved into it on a whim now, I don't know.

I feel comic book movies out. I got my Batman, 7 fold. I got Superman 6 fold. Spider-Man 5 fold. So many iterations of Wolverine, er, I mean the X-Men. I saw the likes of Iron Man, I experienced a well planned team up franchise with Marvel's Avengers. Cap is getting the recognition he deserves. The unfilmmable graphic novels like Watchmen have happened. I don't know. I know I won't get any sympathy on a message board like this where Hype is key, but I just feel like, "eh, whatever".

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #803
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'm kind of feeling burnt out too. I keep asking myself when the "bubble" is going to burst and when the superhero genre is going to fall out of favor with the mainstream. Cause in 2008, I thought "man so many superhero movies coming out this year, it's gonna get oversaturated". Then I thought the same thing in 2012. Then again last year. But it just seems to keep getting bigger and bigger.

I think basically, the day Marvel releases a huge bomb, or has to recast RDJ or something is when things may start taking a downturn. I feel like there has to be a point where these things just start becoming less profitable because the cow has been milked beyond dry and people are exhausted. I really don't know. At the moment it seems like the genre is pretty secure for at least the next 5-6 years.

On the plus side, there seems to be a lot of original sci-fi coming out these days, and Star Wars is coming back too. So we'll have options.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #804
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
Well it doesn't help when Zimmer is scoring them all now. I thought it was so odd when he was announced for ASM2. Batman, Superman, Batman and Superman, Spider-Man now too?

I don't know about other people, but I'm sort of burned out by these superhero/comic book films. I mean, I'll always be there for Batman, but even that feels like it's been burnt out. It's not a Marvel or DC thing either, but all of them as a whole. After Guardians in the Galaxy and phase 2 wraps up, it's like "what else is there"? It just feels like too much to me. Part of me was really pumped about Batman vs. Superman, I've wanted to see that depiction on film. Now that other comic book characters are being shoved into it on a whim now, I don't know.

I feel comic book movies out. I got my Batman, 7 fold. I got Superman 6 fold. Spider-Man 5 fold. So many iterations of Wolverine, er, I mean the X-Men. I saw the likes of Iron Man, I experienced a well planned team up franchise with Marvel's Avengers. Cap is getting the recognition he deserves. The unfilmmable graphic novels like Watchmen have happened. I don't know. I know I won't get any sympathy on a message board like this where Hype is key, but I just feel like, "eh, whatever".
Dude, i feel the same. Im getting burnt out. The only thing that excites me is the Batman angle. Because i feel like ive never seen that Batman, that suit, the age, the different version of Grayson, Jeremy f'n Irons (come on now!), the drones in Gotham, the sci-fi/3D Batman. It's cool. But the rest of it? It's been moving too fast, and the ideas are running out. Once this decade ends, i just dont know what else there is to do. At least with Batman i still have some ideas like a disturbing horror Batman with monsters and freaks.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #805
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The color palette of the new film just looks more vibrant and reminds me more of the Raimi films. More daytime action in NYC, the big lenses, it all just feels more comic booky. It feels like a huge contrast from the first film, which is fine. Webb understandably wants to keep things fresh for himself and the audience.

There was a recent quote from Hugh Jackman about how Nolan shared with him that when he first saw the first X-Men film, he thought, "Dammit...someone beat me to the punch." (re: doing a more "realism" based superhero film).

The point isn't that Nolan invented any of this stuff, but I feel like every era has it's culturally defining blockbusters that really capture the zeitgeist and you can feel the ripple effect of that in other movies, sometimes in small ways, sometimes in big ways. It's like fashion. Things go in and out of style, but usually there's something that sparks that and makes it cool.

That is until it's "not cool anymore", which is kind of the phase we're entering now and why every studio currently seems to be chasing Marvel's model for their superhero properties.

But, when you have guys like Mendes and Abrams flat out talking about TDK in reference to their own movies, when you have Jon Favreau specifically talking about BB in reference to how he approached Iron Man then yeah...it's fair to say there's been some influence.

I think an unfortunate side effect of TDKT's popularity is that you have more "Zimmer clone" scores than ever now, and that's even if you leave out the overuse of the "Inception horn" in trailers and stuff.
There was a lot of people who complained about the ASM suit because it was "ugly" and "too dark" even though it wasn't dark, at all. So we get a more traditional suit. Webb seems to be a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, so we get big lenses.

Yup, TDK influence t's pretty obvious in Skyfall. I just haven't seen that reflected in actual comic book movies though. Nothing compares to TDK in the comic book movie landscape. But yeah, I can see some BB influence in a couple of Marvel movies.

Now, BB's certainly made it seem like rebooting was the key to reviving dead franchises in any genre.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #806
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

I can't believe the results of the poll
34 votes for "It makes people feel special."

Astro13Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #807
Travesty
TEOL

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #808
Rorschach2012
$

My only problem with the Nolan series is that i think he overdid the realism, so i voted for the realism option. But most of the time, people that hate on TDK are doing it because TDK is so universally loved.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #809
EssayM
Just A Guy

I don't hate TDK, but I do think it would've been stronger if it was purely focused on the Batman/Joker relationship, instead of trying to cram in Two-Face's origin and that boring love triangle.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #810
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

I agree with that. I also dislike that they gave Joker magical somehow-knows-the-future-and-can-put-bombs-everywhere powers.

Moreover, I think that it suffers from only having one major female character, who is both pretty flat and then dies, leaving the final act to be a bit of a sausage fest. One of the things TDKR was better at was actually having interesting and engaging female characters.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 AM   #811
Oscorp
Side-Kick

TDK is my favourite CBM but even I have some criticism about it:

The film relies way too heavily on chance and luck for things to work.

The Joker is the best CBM villain so far, but I still prefer Mark Hamill's/the animated version. The Joker should have been funnier in a twisted way.

The Bat voice is pretty terrible.

Rachel is such an unlikeable character for me that her death didn't affect me in the slightest. I was actually reliefed that she was gone.

The Harvey Dent story about his fall was awesome, but I still feel that Two-Face should have done more before he died. I also missed some of his double personality stuff. I'd have liked a scene of him doubting his actions and then quickly convince himself or something.

I prefer the look of Gotham in Batman Begins.

Other than that, it's an almost perfect CBM for me.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #812
Adder
Side-Kick

CATWS > TDK. You know it to be true.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #813
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #814
The Endless
WE are Groot

It has better action scenes, dialogue and pacing plus Captain America doesn't actively suck in it

Although i think the overall story, specifically Dent's, plus Joker elevates TDK above TWS, but not by much.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #815
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I agree. I liked it a lot more than TDK.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #816
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

It's the hipsters. It's always the damn hipsters.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #817
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I agree. I liked it a lot more than TDK.
Agreed. Just love that movie.