The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

View Poll Results: What will be the world-wide box office take of The Avengers?
1.5 billion > 7 4.93%
1.0 billion > 31 21.83%
900 million > 30 21.13%
800 million > 46 32.39%
700 million > 20 14.08%
600 million > 1 0.70%
500 million > 6 4.23%
400 million > 0 0%
300 million > 1 0.70%
200 million > 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #176
BigThor
God of Thunder

Default Re: The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
The thing with WW is that other than her image, nobody has any clue who the hell she is. People know who Superman & Batman are even if you took their costumes out of the picture and just had to descibe them from a character/personality stand point. Supes is a boy scout and Batman's a brooding loner. But WW? Not a clue.
They won't care, she's still recognizable enough to help attract a crowd alongside Supes and Batman.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=543581

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541747
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #177
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
After the anticipation for X3 it's nice to follow a team film that respects ALL it's members and is successful with critics, fans and at the box office. Amazing job! It's a nice accolade to have the opening weekend record. Now watch them legs kick on for $500m final domestic gross. Noone has any excuse to watch Battleship in the cinema!
Don't worry, I have zero interest in watching ID4 pt 2.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #178
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

And the repeat viewing numbers of this movie will be a beast.

I doubt that many people are returning to do a same-day or next-day repeat watch for Hunger Games or even Avatar.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #179
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The thing with WW is that other than her image, nobody has any clue who the hell she is. People know who Superman & Batman are even if you took their costumes out of the picture and just had to descibe them from a character/personality stand point. Supes is a boy scout and Batman's a brooding loner. But WW? Not a clue.
recognition is enough. wonderwoman is the most famous female superhero on the planet thanks to the tv series. ww is an icon to woman and she would give women an excuse to see the movie without being dragged by their other half.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #180
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
I think Hollywood is terrified that her feminist image will turn men against her. Do they go with the 'Men kept the women as slaves' origin or the 'Souls of women who were the victims of domestic abuse' origin? There are some men who will see it as an insult to all men but I do think Wonder Woman's origin needs to show WW as wary of masculinty and then understanding of it in its good despite its past evil just like women today.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #181
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
I think Hollywood is terrified that her feminist image will turn men against her. Do they go with the 'Men kept the women as slaves' origin or the 'Souls of women who were the victims of domestic abuse' origin? There are some men who will see it as an insult to all men but I do think Wonder Woman's origin needs to show WW as wary of masculinty and then understanding of it in its good despite its past evil just like women today.
I'm a man and I loved WW's direct to dvd movie and I think her being wary of men won't be as evident in a JL film as it would be in her solo film.

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009

MCU Thor Respect Thread
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #182
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Wow, Nikki did the same thing she did with HG. She kept predicting really low, then when the actual numbers were coming in the estimates kept going up.

Just to let you guys know the initial numbers 65-67 to 80.1M is the difference between basically IM2 sales with 3D boost and TDK numbers with 3D boost.

Everyone on BOT is conceding that Avengers will likely be highest grossing film of the year. (Well unless we see even more Amazing numbers from the Hobbit).
TDKR still got the potential to be a champ. Don't underestimate the power of Nolan's creation even though the hero is one.

Hobbit? Meh. The best and the greatest Tolkien's storyline has been filmed.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #183
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
JC really wasn't that big of a flop when you count it's overall gross, The Avengers is more than compensating for whatever funds were lost with JC.
Isn't Disney already 4 billion in the hole with the purchase of Marvel? I forget the exact figure. Obviously merchandising, toys, and games will make up for the majority of that. Avengers could bring them even. It may even take the sequel before they start seeing returns on investment. In the mean time, Thor/Cap/IM sequels have to go back to work. Bigger budgets and bigger expectations. Marvel isn't completely out of the deep seas yet. They are getting there but one bonafide hit is just that. Obviously Marvel Studios and Pixar have to be the bread and butter. I don't know if Marvel can maintain this level for multiple Avenger sequels. I thought the movie was very good myself that is as far as I would go.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #184
Chewy
REDACTED

Hulk merchandise is going to make that up this summer alone. lol

Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #185
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
TDKR still got the potential to be a champ. Don't underestimate the power of Nolan's creation even though the hero is one.

definately prefer hobbit to lord of the rings.

EVERYONE is going to see TDKR, the question is, is everyone going to see TDKR TWICE?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #186
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
EVERYONE is going to see TDKR, the question is, is everyone going to see TDKR TWICE?
Probably.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #187
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

WW, Flash, Manhunter, Aquaman IMO all need individual films to establish their characters firmly prior to a JL film. And GL needs to be fixed with another one. Otherwise I think the JL film will suffer as a result. WW's image may be enough to add to ticket sales but it'll do diddley for her in the actual content of the movie.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #188
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
WW, Flash, Manhunter, Aquaman IMO all need individual films to establish their characters firmly prior to a JL film. And GL needs to be fixed with another one. Otherwise I think the JL film will suffer as a result. WW's image may be enough to add to ticket sales but it'll do diddley for her in the actual content of the movie.
No they don't.

Batman and Superman are icons.

Avengers wouldn't have worked before these movies because only geeks knew Iron Man and Thor, only geeks cared about Cap, and Ang Lee killed the Hulk's reputation

Batman and Superman alone are enough to establish JL as an event

Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #189
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
No they don't.

Avengers wouldn't have worked before these movies because only geeks knew Iron Man and Thor, only geeks cared about Cap, and Ang Lee killed the Hulk's reputation

exactly, you add worldwide recognition of WW and partial recognition of;
flash- general audience know he is dressed in red and is fast
GL - hmm, maybe not
aquaman - general audience know him as the 'fish guy' who talks to the fishes

build up isn't needed for the JL the general audience knows half the team.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #190
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Supes still needs his own redemption after SR before a JL movie should be made. And there's no guarantee yet that MOS will do that. We hope it will but until it hits it's all guesswork. The only one who's really fully ready to go is Batman and even with him I'd argue that you should have at least one Batman film apart from Nolan's singular continuity to redress Batman's world in a more comic book like fashion.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #191
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
No they don't.

Agreed on all counts

MCU Thor Respect Thread
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #192
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
definately prefer hobbit to lord of the rings.

Many rewatched Inception, TDKR repeat number viewing will be more than that. Nolans' plot and twist will be abound baiting people to see it again & again.

DC fanbase arguably being the geekier of the two would also support repeat watching. Certainly more than twice. Even I may do more than once.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #193
PokeJ
Banned User

I never expected Avengers to be an 'event' film. I never expected it to get much more than 800 mil WW. I believe Disney should push The Avengers 2 over the solo films.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #194
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
I never expected Avengers to be an 'event' film. I never expected it to get much more than 800 mil WW. I believe Disney should push The Avengers 2 over the solo films.
anticipation is everything. if they build up

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

thanos

over 3 movies then the hype for A2 will be even bigger than avengers

Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #195
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post

TDKR might get the opening record back, but I think with the A+ Cinemascore, people are thinking 500M domestic is a real possiblity, and I think most people of the mind that TDKR wont do as well as TDK.

Again keep in mind this is dollar figures. TDKR has no 3D boost, so it could sell more tickets than Avengers, but still come up 2nd at the BO.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #196
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Honestly I don't expect Thanos in TA2. Whedon said smaller and more personal and that doesn't sound like Thanos at all. He's a universal threat. I think we'll see him in TA3.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #197
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Honestly I don't expect Thanos in TA2. Whedon said smaller and more personal and that doesn't sound like Thanos at all. He's a universal threat. I think we'll see him in TA3.
Most definately

People are taking Thanos being at the end of this film too literal, he's certainly not going to be the main villain of Avengers 2.

MCU Thor Respect Thread
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #198
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Well certainly a single character as the villain is more personal than a large personality-less army as the villain

Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #199
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Supes still needs his own redemption after SR before a JL movie should be made. And there's no guarantee yet that MOS will do that. We hope it will but until it hits it's all guesswork. The only one who's really fully ready to go is Batman and even with him I'd argue that you should have at least one Batman film apart from Nolan's singular continuity to redress Batman's world in a more comic book like fashion.
First WB/DC/Legendary, have to buy into the "shared universe" concept. I doubt you'll find anyone that wants to do that. Hell I know that Goyer and Nolan poo-pooed the idea when this stuff was first announced.

I think people also forget that WB was planning on a JL film and were even in talks with getting a script writer and trying to tie down names. Of course Nolan was freaking pissed about it, because this was before TDK came out, and he thought it would undermine his film.

Really WB has always had the problem with too many suits in the room ala Fox. I doubt Nolan would have ever had as much freedom as he did, if not for the debacle of the previous Batman films. I honestly think the suits at WB didn't care and didn't really even know what they had with Nolan.

I think that WB is going to greenlight a JLA film, and they will make it a complete solo film, and it will be just like what happened with Green Lantern.

Prove me wrong WB, because I would love to be wrong on that, but to quote agent coulson, "you will fail because it's in your nature."

Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #200
Oruku Saki
Side-Kick

I have to agree that I think announcing a JL movie with no really planning or build up is going to flop like Green Lantern did. Also, DC hasn't been planning a JL movie using their characters as a build up...not to mention the GA is gonna wonder what kind of Batman is gonna be involved considering that Nolan's franchise won't work within the JL team. I think it would confuse the GA if a JL movie was announced for like 2 years from now. I know I would look at it as a money grab piggie backing Avengers; except without the planning that has made this so successful.