The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #401
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

I have to say, I is interesting how the super hero fight coordination has evolved over the years. Look back even to Blade, and compare it to TWS and now footage from BVS.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #402
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I have to say, I is interesting how the super hero fight coordination has evolved over the years. Look back even to Blade, and compare it to TWS and now footage from BVS.
Tru dat. This new Bat-style looks a lot nastier than anything Cap used in TWS, which was a little more stylized but less brutal.

Batman's fighting style itself has changed a lot over the years, from the ridiculous brawling of '68, to the karate-like fighting of '89 and '92, to the crap Clooney did in '97, then back to Keysi in 2005, and 2008, and back to mostly brawling in 2012 - and now this raw animalistic, style that has a kind of brutal grace.

Looking forward to seeing more of it soon.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:47 AM   #403
Mr Rogers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
The difference between Captain America and Batman is that Batman is Master of various fighting techniques (Martial Arts), whereas Captain America is just trained solider with Super strength (I'm talking about the movie version of Captain America here).

So, Batman's fighting may well look like super-human feat sometimes.

Not so sure about that. He probably had some training of some sort since entering SHIELD program.

But anyways, I hope we get a Batman as agile and diverse in his fighting repertoire as TWS Cap. I want to see some leaps and spinning kicks!

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:53 AM   #404
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Here is the thing... In Nolan's films but especially BB and TDK, however one wants to criticize the fight coordination, it's important for myself to note that for the most part the techniques themselves are totally legit. Facts are the elbows, headbutts and knees used by Bale's Batman/Bruce are some of the most effective things one can do in a fight and when trained to be used at a moments notice can be total fight enders.

Muay Thai/Muay Boran/Krabi Krabong, the various styles of the Filipino Martial Arts, Bando Boxing, and various Silats (real Silat not the wire and SFX assisted stuff we see in THE RAID) use these techniques quite extensively. The problem is that while truly more effective than the theatrical looking spinning kicks and various strikes using the fists or feet, HEK (headbutts, elbows and knees) are not these dynamic looking moves. You couldn't do the things BatFleck does in a real fight, no matter how hard the training is. Real fights are not what we expect them to be after a lifetime of imbibing Hollywood martial arts. The problem is... Those real techniques are not anywhere near as entertaining to watch as other, less real world effective movements. Nolan chose an approach that didn't have a space fro that overly flowery stuff.

For myself? I am so pleased to see Ben and Snyder give us a Batman moving and fighting as I always imagined in my deepest fantasy.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ To Be Continued A Fanboy Podcast: THE INCREDIBLES 2 Spoiler Review Discussion.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:05 AM   #405
Mr Rogers
Side-Kick

I think everyone's well aware this isn't supposed to reflect real life combat situations and people are just happy to finally see more of a theatrical fighting style for Batman.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #406
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
I think everyone's well aware this isn't supposed to reflect real life combat situations and people are just happy to finally see more of a theatrical fighting style for Batman.
I'm just trying to correct the notion that Bale's techniques made him look "Like a drunken brawler" or other such sentiments. I understand why some might say that, but the truth is far from that. Again, though, there is a difference in what looks good and what is actually effective.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #407
Neno_Kos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ He's throwing dude's into WALLS. They could be PARALYZED.
they're young, they'll walk again

Last edited by Neno_Kos; 02-12-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Neno_Kos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #408
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

Yeah, I'm still 90% positive that guy he punched through the floor isnt getting up...eber.

#DesignedByTonyStark
ernesth100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #409
KillerWolf
Possibly partially drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesth100 View Post
Yeah, I'm still 90% positive that guy he punched through the floor isnt getting up...eber.
I'm more concerned about the guy that fell through the floor. If he is alive, his spine isn't.

You can see him lying when Batman disables those guns.

"At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock."

'Book of Cyril'
Ɉ
KillerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #410
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

The fight sequences of Batsie will top those from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #411
Golgo-13
The Return of the O.G

After watching that last trailer, i can't wait to see WW's fighting style since according to the DC cinematic universe, she's the best fighter of all the heroes.

Every morning a Lion wakes up, it knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle, or it will starve to death.

It doesn't matter whether you're a LION or a GAZELLE when the sun comes up, you better be RUNNING!
Golgo-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #412
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

WW is probably going to show a couple of moves to Batfleck.

OutOfBoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #413
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
The fight sequences of Batsie will top those from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
The one in the trailer already has, IMO.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #414
Mandon Knight
The Re-Generation Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
WW is probably going to show a couple of moves to Batfleck.
Yeah, but what about the fighting ?

Mandon Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #415
rockandrollsoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
The one in the trailer already has, IMO.
Yep

rockandrollsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #416
BlueLanternKal
Super-Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Here is the thing... In Nolan's films but especially BB and TDK, however one wants to criticize the fight coordination, it's important for myself to note that for the most part the techniques themselves are totally legit. Facts are the elbows, headbutts and knees used by Bale's Batman/Bruce are some of the most effective things one can do in a fight and when trained to be used at a moments notice can be total fight enders.

Muay Thai/Muay Boran/Krabi Krabong, the various styles of the Filipino Martial Arts, Bando Boxing, and various Silats (real Silat not the wire and SFX assisted stuff we see in THE RAID) use these techniques quite extensively. The problem is that while truly more effective than the theatrical looking spinning kicks and various strikes using the fists or feet, HEK (headbutts, elbows and knees) are not these dynamic looking moves. You couldn't do the things BatFleck does in a real fight, no matter how hard the training is. Real fights are not what we expect them to be after a lifetime of imbibing Hollywood martial arts. The problem is... Those real techniques are not anywhere near as entertaining to watch as other, less real world effective movements. Nolan chose an approach that didn't have a space fro that overly flowery stuff.
I agree with most of this. But don't think Nolan's failing is in his Bats' realistic technique. It was shoddy camera work for the fight scenes themselves and a restrictive Batsuit for Bale/stuntman.

The camera zooms into the fighting to the point where the fighting becomes in discernable. And then it cuts to a bunch of guys on the ground. Even Begins, which is Nolan's truest rendition of the Batman, has this problem.

BlueLanternKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #417
craigdbfan
Banned User

Some things just aren't captured well. Real fights are typically pretty messy even those at the professional level.

For film which is such a visual medium it needs structure to the "mess" of a fight. The Raid is the perfect demonstration of that. It's using real martial arts and "grit" fighting but it's captured amazingly with some great framing/camera work.

Nolan is a master film maker but isn't the most proficient with those single hand to hand combat scenes. That's not to say they're bad because they're not. Nowhere near in fact but The Raid and TWS proved that there's a perfect medium of heightened/realistic. This same kind of thought process is present in BvS. Let me also say that while I loved the Watchmen fight scene's there's a wealth of development of pretty much everything related to film making in that Batman fight scene. It's perfect through and through. It doesn't feel staged yet manages to balance the fantastical and realistic really well.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #418
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

I have to be that guy but CA:TWS still had damn good hand to hand combat and I'd put it on the same level as this, the difference is that Batman is going up against a bunch of thugs who don't belong in the same room as him whereas Cap is fighting Batroc (a highly skilled fighter at a high level of human potential) and Bucky, who could be equal to Cap in fighting ability but also years of intensive work, who he obviously, after the first fight, did not want to harm.

the fighting looks good regardless.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #419
Mr Rogers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_MAX View Post
I have to be that guy but CA:TWS still had damn good hand to hand combat and I'd put it on the same level as this, the difference is that Batman is going up against a bunch of thugs who don't belong in the same room as him whereas Cap is fighting Batroc (a highly skilled fighter at a high level of human potential) and Bucky, who could be equal to Cap in fighting ability but also years of intensive work, who he obviously, after the first fight, did not want to harm.

the fighting looks good regardless.
Dis why we need Deathstroke so he can show Bats whats up.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #420
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Some things just aren't captured well. Real fights are typically pretty messy even those at the professional level.

For film which is such a visual medium it needs structure to the "mess" of a fight. The Raid is the perfect demonstration of that. It's using real martial arts and "grit" fighting but it's captured amazingly with some great framing/camera work.

Nolan is a master film maker but isn't the most proficient with those single hand to hand combat scenes. That's not to say they're bad because they're not. Nowhere near in fact but The Raid and TWS proved that there's a perfect medium of heightened/realistic. This same kind of thought process is present in BvS. Let me also say that while I loved the Watchmen fight scene's there's a wealth of development of pretty much everything related to film making in that Batman fight scene. It's perfect through and through. It doesn't feel staged yet manages to balance the fantastical and realistic really well.
I just want to point out as great as that stuff is... No. THE RAID is not "real martial arts". It contains a lot of "perfect" technique moments, over flowery stuff that would not work a lot of the time, or if it did it would be only effective under the most perfect of circumstances, plus... There is wire assists going on. I love that it's put Silat (I studied Filipino Kali Silat) on the map world wide (even if it's more a mix of Silat and Chinese influenced Kun Tao... But I digress...) but I think like with a lot of newly showcased martial arts that get exposure to the Western audience, like Ninpo/Ninjitsu in the 80's or Muay Thai in the 90's, there tends to be an overselling of it as some "ultimate" art and I am seeing way too many comments that want to make it like the techniques are 100% legit and that there isn't a lot of overly theatrical "tricking out" with the fight coordination. (Nat that I am saying you are stating ALL that Craig, but I just know that throwing the term REAL at what goes down in THE RAID films is getting.... It's getting a little loose with the language let's say.)

Old 02-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #421
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
Dis why we need Deathstroke so he can show Bats whats up.
And also why fans need to stop fan casting Deathstroke with actors obviously WAY past their prime for the role. People that act like Ron Perlman can be Deathstroke in live action these days after seeing PACIFIC RIM need their heads examined.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #422
roach
I am the night

None of it is real...it's movies. It just has to look good on camera

Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #423
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Old man I'd put you up for Deathstroke but you're ancient.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #424
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
None of it is real...it's movies. It just has to look good on camera
True dat. Bruce Lee always said that what he did on screen in his films was not how he would approach a real violent situation. It's choreographed and even when real technique is demonstrated it's often "best case scenario" presentation. I just get my hackles raised a bit (again... sorry for the rant Craig) when people talk about martial arts in films and think "that's real" when what they point to is highly choreographed and assisted by wire work and SFX, practical or other wise.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #425
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Old man I'd put you up for Deathstroke but you're ancient.
Me and Perlman might get our prescriptions from the same pharmacy, yes.