Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #130
Kane52630
Just Some Nut

Default Re: Felicity Jones is Jyn Erso in Rogue One

Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #131
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

Having just seen Rogue One this week I gotta say...I think I may have found a new favorite character in the star wars universe...it's just too bad we probably wont ever see her again...Jyn Erso

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 AM   #132
Consona
Side-Kick

She was perfect.

Consona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #133
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Saturday Night Live - SNL Host Felicity Jones' Team Is a Bunch of Troopers

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #134
scarlet-witch
Hands off.

Felicty looked so nervous when she was hosting SNL. She had her eyes glued to the cue cards.

I loved that princess sketch though.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #135
righthooksrus86
Side-Kick

She was adorable on SNL. Weird to see the way she was on the show compared to in Rogue One haha. Great actress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladystoneheart View Post
Felicty looked so nervous when she was hosting SNL. She had her eyes glued to the cue cards.

I loved that princess sketch though.
I loved the Beard Hunk sketch. She did a pretty decent, ditzy american girl act.

righthooksrus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #136
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Star Wars: Rebel Rising by Beth Revis, a Jyn Erso novel

https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2017/01/c...on-beth-revis/ (synopsis)

http://books.disney.com/content/uplo...ng-chs-1-2.pdf (excerpt)

Old 07-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #137
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Star Wars Forces of Destiny | The Stranger | Disney

Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #138
moreorless
Side-Kick

For whatever reason I'd not actually seen much of her work before Rogue One so did underestimate her. As with Godzilla I think Edwards pushing the performance in a rather different way to what we've come to expect from blockbusters in recent years, rather than broad and a bit over the top we get something much more subtle.

As with Edwarsd previous film I think that maybe explains the love/hate situation with Rogue One? most of the criticism does seem to fall under "boring" more than anything else. In the first half of the film a lot of the drama basically depends on not overly broad reaction shots from a character who's sposed to be pretty emotionally repressed so perhaps not easy to pickup on if your not used to or not expecting that kind of performance?

Someone should do a case study , track opinions of the film relative to one of those eye emotion quizs

https://www.questionwritertracker.co.../Z4MK3TKB.html

moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #139
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless View Post
For whatever reason I'd not actually seen much of her work before Rogue One so did underestimate her. As with Godzilla I think Edwards pushing the performance in a rather different way to what we've come to expect from blockbusters in recent years, rather than broad and a bit over the top we get something much more subtle.

As with Edwarsd previous film I think that maybe explains the love/hate situation with Rogue One? most of the criticism does seem to fall under "boring" more than anything else. In the first half of the film a lot of the drama basically depends on not overly broad reaction shots from a character who's sposed to be pretty emotionally repressed so perhaps not easy to pickup on if your not used to or not expecting that kind of performance?

Someone should do a case study , track opinions of the film relative to one of those eye emotion quizs

https://www.questionwritertracker.co.../Z4MK3TKB.html
Yes! I agree, 100%. I feel like subtle is a good word when it comes to Rogue One, because it didn't spoon-feed us everything, nor was it constantly and relentlessly on-the-go like a JJ Abrams or Michael Bay movie. I'm honestly shocked that so many people describe Rogue One as boring, because I didn't get that at all while watching it. I find the buildup during the first half very interesting, and I appreciate the fact that it's slow enough to let us breathe, which is something that most movies these days don't do. Slow isn't bad as long as what's going on is interesting, which I felt like Rogue One successfully pulled off. Rogue One actually reminds me a lot of a 70s-era movie, which was when movies were beginning to get more fast-paced, but not excessively so like many movies are today.

As for Jyn, I thought she was a great character. I agree that she's handled much more subtly than usual, and I loved that. I'm surprised that so many people think Rey is a better character because she's more "charismatic". Yes, Rey spoke louder and had more punchlines, but I felt like Jyn did a much better job of capturing a wold-weary character who finds a sense of purpose.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #140
moreorless
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootster View Post
Yes! I agree, 100%. I feel like subtle is a good word when it comes to Rogue One, because it didn't spoon-feed us everything, nor was it constantly and relentlessly on-the-go like a JJ Abrams or Michael Bay movie. I'm honestly shocked that so many people describe Rogue One as boring, because I didn't get that at all while watching it. I find the buildup during the first half very interesting, and I appreciate the fact that it's slow enough to let us breathe, which is something that most movies these days don't do. Slow isn't bad as long as what's going on is interesting, which I felt like Rogue One successfully pulled off. Rogue One actually reminds me a lot of a 70s-era movie, which was when movies were beginning to get more fast-paced, but not excessively so like many movies are today.

As for Jyn, I thought she was a great character. I agree that she's handled much more subtly than usual, and I loved that. I'm surprised that so many people think Rey is a better character because she's more "charismatic". Yes, Rey spoke louder and had more punchlines, but I felt like Jyn did a much better job of capturing a wold-weary character who finds a sense of purpose.
It does obviously have some modern aspects to it but yeah uit definitely felt like an earlier period blockbuster to me with of course the original SW films being the classic example.

Personally I tend to thank that nostalgia of the original SW films has actually shifted somewhat away from what they actually were. They seem to have become the ultimate representation of the 80's blockbuster yet I think they are actually films that have one foot in that camp and the other still in grittier 70's new wave drama.

With The Force Awakens for example the part of the original trilogy of films it reminded me most of was actually the Ewok section of Return of the Jedi which pushed most into that 80's style playing up constant light humour and a desire to constantly entertain.

Jyn and Rey to me seem like the best representation of this to me, both characters that not always depend much on dialog but emotionally Rey is clearly MUCH broader and more obvious. You look at say Carrie Fisher in Empire and outside the odd bit of comic banter with Han I think that's actually much more similar to Felicity Jones performance. Watch the start of the film for example when she goes into the control room and is just reacting to Han saying he's leaving and I can almost here Edwards saying "that's what I was after".

I took my own advice by the way did that test, 34/36 so perhaps theres something in it?

Last edited by moreorless; 08-03-2017 at 11:16 AM.
moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #141
Iceman
Infinity War!

She was much better than I was expecting. Appreciated the performance more on subsequent viewings.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #142
mclay18
Side-Kick

There's something in the way Felicity conveys emotion... she does it better than Daisy Ridley did in TFA. Subtle but a lot of turmoil and suppressed emotion as well.

It is unfair to compare the two since Felicity only had one film to explore the character (while Daisy has three) but I felt Jyn was really well-rounded overall.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #143
Grootster
Dancing Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
There's something in the way Felicity conveys emotion... she does it better than Daisy Ridley did in TFA. Subtle but a lot of turmoil and suppressed emotion as well.

It is unfair to compare the two since Felicity only had one film to explore the character (while Daisy has three) but I felt Jyn was really well-rounded overall.
Yeah, I completely agree. I felt like Felicity Jones had a very nuanced performance while Daisy Ridley kind of makes the same few faces throughout the entire movie. Felicity Jones did a much better job making the character feel like a real person (along with the people who wrote her character.) Rey always feels a bit surface-level to me, hopefully this changes in TLJ and I feel a bit more invested.