Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #551
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Default Re: The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 5

Great article by IGN on LucasArts

Quote:
I’ve had it with LucasArts. The publisher/developer’s latest head-scratching move, allegedly pumping the brakes on the promising third-person next-gen bounty-hunting action game Star Wars 1313, leaves me to wonder if – or rather, why – the once-proud subsidiary of Lucasfilm has now become a joke that gamers are the butt of.

This is a studio sitting on a treasure trove of beloved brands, and yet, when was their last Indiana Jones game that didn’t star a Lego figure? Or a Star Wars title in the marketplace’s most popular genre, first-person shooters? Only the big-budget MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic can be considered a bold effort. In fact, their triple-A (read: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and/or PC) output during this console generation can be generally summed up as: three Lego Star Wars games, Two Lego Indiana Jones titles, a pair of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed releases, The Old Republic, and Kinect Star Wars. And of those, only the original Force Unleashed (six-plus million copies sold) made any substantial impact at retailer cash registers. That potential franchise withered on the vine after Force Unleashed II fizzled with both critics and consumers.

Worse, their highest-rated games in this console era, using Metacritic as the evaluator, aren’t even new titles! Indeed, the most well-received offerings have been enhanced rereleases of two of the company’s 20-year-old classics: The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (Metacritic average: 88 out of 100) and Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge (Metacritic: 85).

That’s a rudderless ship if I’ve ever seen one and, quite frankly, it’s embarrassing to the company and just plain sad for us customers, who just want to play great games in the popular universes that LucasArts controls. And it’s an output would’ve shuttered most other companies not owned by a billion-dollar (and now a bajillion-dollar) entertainment monolith a long time ago (see: THQ).

But it goes much deeper than the products themselves. The problems trace back to the top of the LucasArts food chain: company president. LucasArts has had no fewer than five bosses in the last eight years, and none of them – not Jim Ward (2004-2008), Darrell Rodriguez (2008-2010), Paul Meegan (2010-2012), or the current pair of interim co-presidents, Kevin Parker and Gio Corsi – have been able to set a consistent vision for the company. They’ve grown. They’ve shrunk. They’ve dabbled in digital titles and then stopped. They’ve tried to create blockbusters and then given up.

Clint Hocking – the respected creator of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Far Cry 2, and others – was brought in to lead internal development in 2010. Within two years he’d departed LucasArts with no games even announced, let alone released. Star Wars: Battlefront was a massive multiplayer-centric franchise in the waning days of the last console generation with the strong potential to have continued its success on Xbox 360 and PS3, but they couldn’t get a game out and the series inexplicably died. Fracture was so terrible that, according to my source that was at LucasArts at the time, Ward ripped the game at its original internal demo.

More recently, The Old Republic fared well out of the gate, but quickly lost steam and had to abandon its subscription model in favor of free-to-play. And then, of course, there’s the infamous Kinect Star Wars. What was once Kinect’s Great Hardcore Hope became a 200-person money sink that shipped with a damn Vader-dancing rhythm mini-game and must’ve cost the company tens of millions after a woeful critical and commercial reception.
And as for Star Wars 1313? It seemed well-positioned to become LucasArts’s next big franchise, a planted seed that appeared ready to grow and bear fruit for the better part of the next generation of consoles. Now, it’s the latest etching in the headstone of a publisher that used to be among the most popular, respected, and innovative in the gaming industry. Worse, LucasArts is heading into the next hardware round with exactly zero projects announced. Sigh. Long gone are the days of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, the Jedi Knight series, and the adventure game golden era of 1988-1998. (Side note: to read more about that time, pick up the excellent book Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts, written by longtime video game journalist Rob Smith.)

More importantly, with Disney in control of Lucasfilm and clearly looking to leverage the company’s assets by greenlighting numerous Star Wars movie projects, it’s only a matter of time before LucasArts’s new owners realize that they’ve got a game studio too and begin pumping out a whole galaxy full of new Star Wars games. But by then it may be too late for gamers. If LucasArts doesn’t get its act together and come up with a sound organizational roadmap very soon, Disney might swoop in, assume control, and begin ordering game after game with no regard for quality.

Of course, maybe, just maybe, Disney will take the same approach they have with the movies and find the best talent out there to revitalize the game studio. But until then – if it happens at all – gamers continue to be robbed of some of entertainment’s biggest and most beloved brands. So for the love of Han Solo, LucasArts, make something. You used to make games and care about your customers. And while I fully recognize that this is a for-profit industry and that the latter isn’t required for the former, at least you took action. These days, you don’t seem to do either.
Though I admit I think it's great because it echoed a lot of things I've been saying the last few years: LucasArts, of all the major publishers has been one of the dumbest and most incompetent publishers of them all. The Force Unleashed games suck and I honestly don't care for the lego or kinect games at all. Worse enough, there hasn't been any sequels to any of their franchises that made them a success during the xbox/ps2/gc gen. No sequels to:

KOTOR
Battlefront
Republic Commando
Jedi Knight

And yet The Force Unleashed gets a f**king sequel. Say what you want about Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc. At least they've released successful and popular games this gen. Lucasarts has been slipping so much. I know they have problems with the developer for Battlefront III, but they could have given another studio the opportunity instead of cancelling it. And 1313 can still be possible instead of cancelling it. LucasArts needs to get their s**t together.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #552
jacobed
Banned User

I thought the first Force Unleashed was phenomenal. I was always shocked not more games were based off the tv show. You could make so many great games based off of The Clone Wars

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #553
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Maybe it's my personal hatred for TFU that gets in the way. I hated TFU.

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 03-11-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #554
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I didn't think TFU was that great. I never played the second one.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #555
jacobed
Banned User

The gameplay and stuff was decent but I thought the story and characters were phenomenal

Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #556
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

I hated the story way more than the gameplay actually, which was meh, but I'll contain my anger for TFU.

Maybe I'd hate it less if it wasn't the only legit Star Wars series released this gen.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #557
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

I really liked TFU's story. It was the best part of the game and I wish they had made a movie out of that.
As for the gameplay, it wasn't its strong point.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #558
Soapy
Sieg Zeon

I liked The Force Unleashed, but honestly it was okay at best.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #559
Soapy
Sieg Zeon

TimeSplitters Respawns onto PC

Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #560
Nathan

Sweet!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #561
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Cool. I bet if Crytek started a kickstarter for Timesplitters 4 it would get funded.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #562
Solidus
Knights of Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Great article by IGN on LucasArts

Though I admit I think it's great because it echoed a lot of things I've been saying the last few years: LucasArts, of all the major publishers has been one of the dumbest and most incompetent publishers of them all. The Force Unleashed games suck and I honestly don't care for the lego or kinect games at all. Worse enough, there hasn't been any sequels to any of their franchises that made them a success during the xbox/ps2/gc gen. No sequels to:

KOTOR
Battlefront
Republic Commando
Jedi Knight

And yet The Force Unleashed gets a f**king sequel. Say what you want about Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc. At least they've released successful and popular games this gen. Lucasarts has been slipping so much. I know they have problems with the developer for Battlefront III, but they could have given another studio the opportunity instead of cancelling it. And 1313 can still be possible instead of cancelling it. LucasArts needs to get their s**t together.
I think Disney should gut them to a point and just re-start that studio. Their in house stuff has been terrible for over 10 years, so I had little faith in 1313. They need to go back to what they did with those games you mentioned above and outsource them to better studios. Lucas Arts has been terrible for almost a decade and I really hope Disney does something to remedy that. I too could not stand TFU, nothing like Jedi Knight (especially Dark Forces II). Kyle Katarn>>>>>>>>>Starkiller.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #563
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Some footage from that Star Wars First Assault game

http://kotaku.com/5990366/leaked-foo...d-call-of-duty

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #564
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Looks like a COD mod.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #565
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Looks like a COD mod.
Reminded me of Halo, with the decoy perk and the shield that one storm trooper was using.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #566
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I traded some games into gamestop today, got a game, and still managed to have money left over. I think that's the first time that's happened.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #567
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Jeez, how many games did you trade!

I've never sold/traded games at Gamestop before and I rarely shop there. The few times that I did sell games, I went to this entertainment store around me and they used to give me about $25-40 for a game, depending on how soon after release it was.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #568
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I only traded in two games, and got the first Borderlands GOTY.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #569
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I can never trade my games, not one of them

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #570
Havok83
Side-Kick

I trade in games all the time. I don't like to have a lot of games on my shelf, especially if I know the chances of me touching them again are pretty slim

Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #571
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I keep them for the chance I do play them again
Not playing as many games as most of you do, makes it easier to replay the ones I already have

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #572
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I think Disney should gut them to a point and just re-start that studio. Their in house stuff has been terrible for over 10 years, so I had little faith in 1313. They need to go back to what they did with those games you mentioned above and outsource them to better studios. Lucas Arts has been terrible for almost a decade and I really hope Disney does something to remedy that. I too could not stand TFU, nothing like Jedi Knight (especially Dark Forces II). Kyle Katarn>>>>>>>>>Starkiller.
Disney should do a fire sale. Of all the studios this gen, LucasArts have Ben by far the most disappointing. I don't understand how you don't make sequels to your most successful games (I know they had BF3 in the works but they stopped with the developer in which there's controversy over and didn't restart). This is the opposite extreme of what Activision does.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #573
Iceman
Infinity War!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-start-to-2013

Also shows how strong the PS2 was!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #574
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Its too bad for it. Things will probably pick up once Nintendo starts releasing some of their first party game but by and large I think people just arent interested bc they are waiting for the PS4 and MS's console, both of which will are true next gen consoles. The Wii U is in this weird in between stage and I think you have to be really into Nintendo to want it. It doesnt and wont have the same mass appeal that the Wii had

Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #575
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Its too bad for it. Things will probably pick up once Nintendo starts releasing some of their first party game but by and large I think people just arent interested bc they are waiting for the PS4 and MS's console, both of which will are true next gen consoles. The Wii U is in this weird in between stage and I think you have to be really into Nintendo to want it. It doesnt and wont have the same mass appeal that the Wii had
Agreed & I was predicting that in advance but I think it could have done a hell of a lot better than this with just 2 or 3 big games in this interim before the real heavy hitters arrive. Doesn't make sense that the main games aren't coming out till the next gen machines have likely already been released.

Closed Thread