The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #251
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: Surivor: Caramoan - Fans vs Favorites 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
But no one cares about what you say, so as a result no one was really paying attention.

It was still a dumb move to take Brenda out when he did. Especially in light of Erik's injury. Eddie would've won. Cochran put him one challenge away from that.
Because Cochran was obviously neglecting his future-seeing abilities there.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #252
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Because Cochran was obviously neglecting his future-seeing abilities there.
Look at it without knowledge that Erik would be injured. Cochran put himself in a position where AT LEAST one of two VERY STRONG challenge competitors, both of whom would likely have beaten him in the final two. So he guarantees at least one of those players is an immunity win away from controlling his fate in the final four and facing him in the final three.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #253
Sawyer
High King

True, but would his chances be any better if he was up against Brenda, rather than Erik or Eddie?

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #254
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
True, but would his chances be any better if he was up against Brenda, rather than Erik or Eddie?
I think as a fan of the game he would know that the final challenge is a hardcore physical challenge. He'd have a better chance against Brenda (who has only really excelled in water challenges) than he would Erik or Eddie.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #255
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I don't get why people think this. It's called dry humor. Like..calling himself one of the greatest challenge players ever...I don't understand how people take that seriously. He says it with confidence, but he knows it's ridiculous, it's dry humor.

Cochran does have an interesting sense of humor. He does a great job of getting Jeff to laugh too. I thought it was hilarious when he called himself a challenge beast after winning the stacking challenge.

Quote:
Two things:

1. He hasn't aged a day since his season.
2. I lol'd when the first words out of his mouth were "My queer buddy, Richard."
The shirt sounded really funny. Only Rudy could say those things and still be endearing. Seeing Richard was also a surprise. I guess Brandon is the only survivor we'll never see again.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #256
Sawyer
High King

Yeah, I was really shocked that Brandon had zero presence at the reunion. Or anyone else before they got down to the jury, for that matter.

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #257
psylockolussus
Fierce User

This season wasn't a good season. I was just not impressed.

Blood Vs Water should be an interesting season but I'm tired of seeing returnees again! They should do it less, like 1 for every 7 seasons.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #258
Sawyer
High King

This was actually a far better season than it had any right to be, with a returning cast like that...

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #259
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Agreed. Other than Cochran, Brenda, Erik, Malcolm, and Dawn none of the other returnees should have been there. I would have hardly called any of then "Favorites."

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #260
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Sherri was addressed one time, and she told Erik to shut up and sit down. Obviously she wasn't getting any votes. After the tribal council, I had a strong suspicion that Cochran was going to pull a shutout. That should be the blueprint for all future final Tribal Council Q&A. Whenever anyone asks why you voted them out, tell them they were too big a threat and you had to get rid of them before they got rid of you.

Eric's analogy about the seashell was spot on. I don't dislike Sherri , but she obviously got lucky and coasted to that spot. It could of been any fan if they were in the right place at the right time.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #261
Harry_Lime02
This is the girl

I think Sherri did the best she could under the circumstances. It was pretty obvious the only way a fan was getting to the end was by kissing ass and shutting up. Pre-merge she was actually very strategic. Cochran talked about being a chameleon but I think Sherri adapted to the game better than anyone. I'm not defending her FTC performance though, it was awful.

Also, Erik is the last person that should've been calling out Sherri for doing nothing.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #262
PemLam
Let the butthurt flow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Lime02 View Post
I think Sherri did the best she could under the circumstances. It was pretty obvious the only way a fan was getting to the end was by kissing ass and shutting up. Pre-merge she was actually very strategic. Cochran talked about being a chameleon but I think Sherri adapted to the game better than anyone. I'm not defending her FTC performance though, it was awful.

Also, Erik is the last person that should've been calling out Sherri for doing nothing.
Actually I can't think of anyone better than Eric to call out Sherri because he himself was just like her for most of the season. It takes a seashell to know a seashell.

PemLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #263
PemLam
Let the butthurt flow!

Quote:
Yeah, I was really shocked that Brandon had zero presence at the reunion. Or anyone else before they got down to the jury, for that matter.
Brandon and Russell were banned from the reunion show because of their comments and actions towards some of the other cast members.

Michael was on a talk-radio show yesterday and said they were told by the CBS folks not to bring up or discuss Brandon in any way, shape or form.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #264
Quasar
Side-Kick

This was the first time they had only jury members and above on the stage at the reunion. I wonder if that was prompted because of the "no Brandon" situation, or if that was something they were going to do anyway. Most of the early exiters barely get spoken to, though Franceska probably would've got a bone thrown her way due to her being the only person to get kicked off first twice.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #265
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Apparently the entire cast (even Cochran who discusses it in his EW interview) is pretty pissed off about how disrespectful the reunion show was to those who played the game. Erik, in particular, feels slighted as he was the only juror was not spoken to during the show (and yet Boston Rob was allowed to walk up on stage to plug his book, Rudy Bosch was there for some reason and a random little girl was given more screen time than actual cast members). Interesting.

Erik's EW interview

Check out Dawn's as well....she apparently feels that the conversation with Brenda was forced and that Probst handled it terribly. I gotta say, it was maybe the worst reunion show I've ever seen.

Also, Probst got pretty snippy with long time Survivor columnist Dalton Ross in a post-game interview. Apparently all the criticism he is drawing for the reunion show is taking a toll, because while Ross and Probst tend to have a good back and forth, I've never really seen Probst go off like this:

Quote:
EW: I have to assume that the reward challenge we saw was originally going to be an immunity challenge until Erik got pulled from the game. But why not just have the reward be food or something? You know how much I hate giving advantages for the final immunity challenge because I firmly believe everyone should be on equal footing for the most important challenge of the season. Convince me that I’m wrong, Jeff.

PROBST: Here’s the thing — if you produced the show it would be very different. Maybe more successful, maybe less. If I wrote your column maybe more people would read it, maybe less. Bottom line — that’s the decision we made and I can tell you that we will probably do it again. How ya like them apples?

link

Last edited by Matt; 05-16-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #266
Quasar
Side-Kick

Sometimes the advantages they give are minimal. sometimes they're huge. Not having to untie the bags was a ridiculously huge advantage. Cochran built up a tremendous lead, and he's not even athletic. Imagine if that advantage had been given to a more athletic contestant. They might've finished the puzzle before the others were even done getting all their bags.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #267
PemLam
Let the butthurt flow!

Quote:
Apparently the entire cast (even Cochran who discusses it in his EW interview) is pretty pissed off about how disrespectful the reunion show was to those who played the game. Erik, in particular, feels slighted as he was the only juror was not spoken to during the show (and yet Boston Rob was allowed to walk up on stage to plug his book, Rudy Bosch was there for some reason and a random little girl was given more screen time than actual cast members). Interesting.

Erik's EW interview

Check out Dawn's as well....she apparently feels that the conversation with Brenda was forced and that Probst handled it terribly. I gotta say, it was maybe the worst reunion show I've ever seen.

Also, Probst got pretty snippy with long time Survivor columnist Dalton Ross in a post-game interview. Apparently all the criticism he is drawing for the reunion show is taking a toll, because while Ross and Probst tend to have a good back and forth, I've never really seen Probst go off like this:
I was definitely unimpressed with this reunion show versus some of the others. It just seemed very forced.

I have to say I was literally cringing each time Rudy opened his mouth. I guess when you're 85 years old, you can say whatever the hell you like; PC and common decency be damned.

Dawn and Sherri were interviewed separately by one of the gossip rags and Dawn was asked specifically about the relationship with Brenda. She said it was obviously strained because of the bond they had but she understood Brenda's anger/hurt and would give her whatever time she needed before trying to reconcile.

One of the better answers Dawn gave during the interview was as to why Cochran seemed to escape most of the ridicule/scorn from the jury members and she said her husband summarized it best when he said "Cochran stabbed people in the back, you stabbed them in the front".

All that being said, I have nothing but the upmost respect for the job Probst does and I'm sure he'll come back firing on all cylinders next time.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #268
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:

Erik's EW interview

The reunion was terrible and having the pre-jury members sit in the audience was a complete slap in the face. The whole point of the reunion show is to bring the entire cast back and let them all talk it out.

It's also always fun getting updates from the pre-jury members as well as their thoughts on how the post-merge game rolled out.

Survivor production, and Probst, are now too concerned with drumming up drama and bringing back retreads in an effort to get the show back to some previous glory instead of sticking to what it does best - focusing on the players.

Last edited by SuperT; 05-16-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #269
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
The reunion was terrible and having the pre-jury members sit in the audience was a complete slap in the face. The whole point of the reunion show is to bring the entire cast back and let them all talk it out.

It's also always fun getting updates from the pre-jury members as well as their thoughts on how the post-merge game rolled out.

Survivor production, and Probsts, is now too concerned with drumming up drama and bringing back retreads in an effort to get the show back to some previous glory instead of sticking to what it does best - focusing on the players.
I think the producers were doing the opposite by devoting so much time to Boston Rob, Rudy, a random little girl with a crush on Malcolm, etc and keeping the non-jury players off of the stage. I think the goal was to AVOID drama. I think it was a way for the producers to avoid the elephant in the room....Brandon. I think that they minimized the opportunity for the players to speak to avoid him coming up at all and instead relied on distractions that had nothing to do with the show but that the producers could control (such as Rob).

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #270
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

That was exactly the plan, Matt. Instead of just hitting the subject head on like any normal talk show format would do they wanted to avoid it at all costs which made it an even bigger issue.

It makes the show look phony and manufactured, not to mention scared to talk about anything worthwhile.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #271
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

The fact is, Brandon should've never been asked back. Dalton Ross wrote a good article about it on EW when his meltdown occurred. Brandon was emotionally unstable. How he passed a psych exam is beyond me and makes me question how in-depth the Survivor psych exams are (or perhaps whether he got a free pass on the count of being a Hantz which would make me strongly consider the professional ethics of Survivor's on-staff psychiatrist). He should've never been included the first time and definitely not asked back. The producers exploited a psychologically damaged young man for their own ratings gain, then when there is the slightest chance it could portray them in a negative light, they do everything that they can to avoid it. It is a darker chapter in Survivor history, IMO.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #272
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Sometimes the advantages they give are minimal. sometimes they're huge. Not having to untie the bags was a ridiculously huge advantage. Cochran built up a tremendous lead, and he's not even athletic. Imagine if that advantage had been given to a more athletic contestant. They might've finished the puzzle before the others were even done getting all their bags.
I agree. The advantage they gave Cochran was way too much in my mind. I think the final immunity challenge of the season should just be a test to see who can win the most important challenge on even footing. Make them earn it.

The final reward challenge could be something to recharge whoever wins it, maybe give them a spa and food and let them relax, whatever but don't hand them an advantage that pretty much guarantees they win.

SolarTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #273
Harry_Lime02
This is the girl

That challenge was more to do with the puzzle, than who can collect their bags fastest. I don't even think it was that bad. If Eddie had won the advantage, there's no doubt in my mind he still would've lost. He was miles behind.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #274
Quasar
Side-Kick

Well, you can't really use Eddie as an example because he's flat out dumb. You can write him out of any puzzle challenge, no matter what advantages you give him, unless the advantage is the puzzle comes pre-solved.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #275
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Lime02 View Post

I think Erik is likable and it keeps him from getting booted early in the game. He's also not seen as much of a threat strategically. He doesn't even want to talk strategy , which makes me wonder if he was another pawn.

Quote:
The fact is, Brandon should've never been asked back. Dalton Ross wrote a good article about it on EW when his meltdown occurred. Brandon was emotionally unstable. How he passed a psych exam is beyond me and makes me question how in-depth the Survivor psych exams are (or perhaps whether he got a free pass on the count of being a Hantz which would make me strongly consider the professional ethics of Survivor's on-staff psychiatrist). He should've never been included the first time and definitely not asked back. The producers exploited a psychologically damaged young man for their own ratings gain, then when there is the slightest chance it could portray them in a negative light, they do everything that they can to avoid it. It is a darker chapter in Survivor history, IMO.

I can't blame them for not allowing Brandon on the reunion. He probably would of spouted obscenities and made it a bad experience.

It was really odd to see the rest of the cast in the audience , but maybe that's a good thing. There is hardly enough time to talk to the whole cast anyway. The Dawn /Brenda reunion was incredibly forced and awkward , but at least Dawn won't get as much hate mail anymore.