Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #701
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Official Batman Returns Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
You are misunderstanding what Catwoman is in the film. Tim Burton explained it in the commentary. Can't be any clearer than that. You are taking literally what is meant to be metaphorical.
Yeah, silly me for misinterpreting someone surviving being shot 4 times at close range, an electrical inferno, and being dropped from great heights several times, and not a bother on them after any of it.

How silly of me and millions of others for not interpreting that as normal human endurance

Quote:
Catwoman being supernatural is what is just bull s***. She wasn't. Tim Burton says she wasn't supernatural. If she is supernatural then where is she getting powers from? Magical kitties? I think you've watched Halle Berry's Catwoman too many times.
I've actually never even seen Halle Berry's Catwoman movie. She has kitty powers, too? Gee, I wonder where they got that idea from?

Wasn't Denise DiNovi, the producer of Returns also the producer on that movie, too?

Quote:
Tim Burton is right that it's a great scene but he's wrong that she's not supernatural? You must be joking, Joker.

Not according to Tim Burton, the director of the movie.

She's not supernatural. Tim Burton states it himself. I tried to help you understand the film better by providing you with the directors explanation. And you seem to be arguing with everyone just to be argumentative.
Look mate, if your only argument is "because Tim Burton said so", then we're done here. Directors can be notorious for poorly conveying something in a movie, despite what their intentions were, and this is a prime example of one of them.

I don't know who Burton's medical consultant was for this movie, but they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground who ever they were.

I'm not knocking Catwoman's supernatural abilities, I think they were a very cool. But don't accuse me of being argumentative for the hell of it. Trying to tell me that Catwoman had no supernatural abilities with everything she endured is like trying to say black is white.

If you want to interpret her amazing survivals of death as adrenaline rushes, then go for it. I need a bit more meat to the debate other than "Because Tim Burton said so".

Just agree to disagree.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #702
theMan-Bat
Team Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yeah, silly me for misinterpreting
someone surviving being shot 4 times at close range,
an electrical inferno, and being dropped from great heights
several times, and not a bother on them after any of it.

How silly of me and millions of others for not interpreting that
as normal human endurance
It's not supernatural. This is pretty standard stuff in Batman comic books.
In Batman #5 (1941), "The Case of the Honest Crook" by Bill Finger,
Batman is shot three times at close range, doesn't die and keeps coming after Smiley Sikes, and beats him,
plus forces a signed confession proving Joe Sands’ innocence and then drags him to the police.

Drops the paper and Smiley Sikes off at the Gotham Police Station,
then Batman goes to a doctor and collapses.
The doctor says "I don't know how he kept going the way he did with three bullets in him! Amazing...Amazing..."

In Batman #245 (1972), "The Bruce Wayne Murder Case" by Denny O'Neil, Batman is electrocuted with hundreds of volts of electricity,
doesn't die and recovers almost immediately.
Also in the comics, Joker, for example, has been dropped from great heights many times:

Been struck by lightning:

Appeared to have died many times:

And doesn't die. Does that mean Batman and Joker are supernatural?
No, and neither is Catwoman in Batman Returns.

Quote:
I've actually never even seen Halle Berry's Catwoman movie.
She has kitty powers, too? Gee, I wonder where they got that idea from?
Wasn't Denise DiNovi, the producer of Returns also the producer on that movie, too?
And the writers of that movie were John D. Brancato, Michael Ferris, and John Rogers, not Batman Returns writers Daniel Waters and Wesley Strick,
and the director of that movie was Pitof, not Tim Burton,
the "Catwoman" of that movie was Patience Phillips with kitty powers, unlike Selina Kyle.
Director Pitof said "It’s very different, and that’s the whole point. To make something completely different and to start something with her.
I mean, it’s a new start to “Catwoman.” Halle Berry is Catwoman and I think it’s been designed for her to make it very different." http://movies.about.com/od/catwoman/a/catwmpi071904.htm
And director Pitof said "it's a different world. There's no link with Gotham City, and there's no link with any superheroes."
http://www.**************.com/catwoman/news/?a=892#int0
"The idea is to develop this character in a relatively realistic world à la Spider-Man," he said.
"We'll probably set it in the near future but in a North American urban setting, which is more classic.
The main idea is to develop a female superhero and give her depth not to make her a bimbo or a sexy vigilante.
She's a woman's hero for women. There will be no direct link with Batman, nor will there be Batman-esque imagery and it won't be set in Gotham City.
The story will be different and the costume will be different.
We aren't keeping anything from Catwoman except the original idea: the character.
The idea is to begin her story from scratch, and possibly begin a franchise." http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0304164

Quote:
Look mate, if your only argument is "because Tim Burton said so", then we're done here.
Directors can be notorious for poorly conveying something in a movie,
despite what their intentions were, and this is a prime example of one of them.

I don't know who Burton's medical consultant was for this movie,
but they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground who ever they were.

I'm not knocking Catwoman's supernatural abilities, I think they were a very cool. But don't accuse me of being argumentative for the hell of it.
Trying to tell me that Catwoman had no supernatural abilities with everything she endured is like trying to say black is white.

If you want to interpret her amazing survivals of death as adrenaline rushes, then go for it.
I need a bit more meat to the debate other than "Because Tim Burton said so".

Just agree to disagree.
Tim Burton has explained this in the Batman Returns commentary so there is really nothing to argue about.
Tim Burton explains that it is deliberately ambiguous and intentionally mysterious, but not supernatural.
"The ambiguous nature of the Catwoman. You start out when you see the creation with the cats coming around
and it's not supernatural but we feed into the mythology of cats and 9 lives and all of that sort of thing,
so in the same way with Batman, wanting to keep him sort of mysterious,
we sort of treated the same idea with Catwoman a little bit and not come right out with it. It's not supernatural."

That's pretty interesting thanks for sharing theMan-Bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Honesty, God bless you Man-Bat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Manbat I adore you, those articles were amazing thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Wow, brilliant post, man. Seriously, I couldn't possibly counter debate that. That post is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. You're obviously a true scholar of Batman lore
You've convinced me. Well played, sir. It's great to debate with someone who has the hard facts to back up what they say

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 04-15-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #703
The Joker

Thumbs up Re: Official Batman Returns Thread

Wow, brilliant post, man. Seriously, I couldn't possibly counter debate that. That post is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. You're obviously a true scholar of Batman lore

You've convinced me. Well played, sir. It's great to debate with someone who has the hard facts to back up what they say

And it's given me a greater appreciation for Pfeiffer's Catwoman, whom I loved so much as it is.

- The Joker
Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 AM   #704
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #705
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Batman 1989 is great but what I think is better about Batman Returns is that it has more psychological depth, more german expressionism, the difference between good and evil is more grey in the film, much more three-dimensional/tragic villain in The Penguin and a better female character that is stronger/more feminist (Batman's equal, not a damsel-in-distress).

Both are great films and both are on my favorite films list.

Last edited by returntovoid; 08-18-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #706
RustyCage
Come what may..

In response to theMan-Bat: That post was fantastic in terms of Burton being true to the source material. I greatly enjoyed the nostalgia trip.

However, I have to say, while those things aren't necessarily 'supernatural', they clearly aren't very realistic. Most of the time.

Either way, this has me wondering whether or not Joker really died at the end of '89...

PS - Great post, returntovoid!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #707
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick

can any one provide links to scrips for Batman Forever scripts when they still had keaton/burton in mind

Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #708
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledoremassis02 View Post
can any one provide links to scrips for Batman Forever scripts when they still had keaton/burton in mind
Well, the script can't be found.

But this Youtuber seems to remember reading it and maybe lost the copy.

Tim Burton's Batman III:

Script points according to the Youtuber:

-Chip Shreck blames Batman for the death of his father Max Shreck

-Harvey Dent comes back from Metropolis

-Chip Shreck tries to sue Batman in court but Harvey Dent defends Batman

-Chip Shreck throws acid in Harvey Dent's face turning him into Two-Face

-Two-Face starts to blame Batman for being disfigured

-The mysterious Riddler played by Robin William sends Bruce Wayne riddles and seems to know he's Batman but they don't encounter each other until towards the end

-Bruce Wayne goes to psychiatrist Chase Meridian after getting the riddles and they start dating but she get's murdered mysteriously

-Batman think's Catwoman murdered her but he's not really sure

-Batman does detective work to find out who's sending him the riddles and who really murdered Chase Meridian

-Marlon Wayan's plays Batman's young mechanic but he never becomes Robin

-Toward the end, The Riddler get's Batman to reveal his identity through the riddles

-The Riddler and Two-Face never team-up in the script

-Batman and Catwoman team-up to battle each villain separately, first they capture Riddler to take him to Arkham Asylum and then they encounter Two-Face (who dies)

-At the very end, Batman and Catwoman are kissing under the moonlight then all of a sudden you hear the sound of him putting handcuffs on her. He takes her to Arkham for the murder of Chase Meridian but it's still unresolved since Catwoman says "Did I do that?" and it's open-ended, you never know whether she killed her or not.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #709
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick

Oh wow, thanks for the info. Sounds interesting.

Here are some film cells I scanned

Last edited by eledoremassis02; 08-19-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #710
Chiroptera
Side-Kick

God, i wish Tim Burton made a third movie

Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #711
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick

I was thinking, was the abandoned zoo suppose to be abandoned when penguins parents dropped him in the lake?

Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #712
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntovoid View Post
Well, the script can't be found.

But this Youtuber seems to remember reading it and maybe lost the copy.

Tim Burton's Batman III:

Script points according to the Youtuber:

-Chip Shreck blames Batman for the death of his father Max Shreck

-Harvey Dent comes back from Metropolis

-Chip Shreck tries to sue Batman in court but Harvey Dent defends Batman

-Chip Shreck throws acid in Harvey Dent's face turning him into Two-Face

-Two-Face starts to blame Batman for being disfigured

-The mysterious Riddler played by Robin William sends Bruce Wayne riddles and seems to know he's Batman but they don't encounter each other until towards the end

-Bruce Wayne goes to psychiatrist Chase Meridian after getting the riddles and they start dating but she get's murdered mysteriously

-Batman think's Catwoman murdered her but he's not really sure

-Batman does detective work to find out who's sending him the riddles and who really murdered Chase Meridian

-Marlon Wayan's plays Batman's young mechanic but he never becomes Robin

-Toward the end, The Riddler get's Batman to reveal his identity through the riddles

-The Riddler and Two-Face never team-up in the script

-Batman and Catwoman team-up to battle each villain separately, first they capture Riddler to take him to Arkham Asylum and then they encounter Two-Face (who dies)

-At the very end, Batman and Catwoman are kissing under the moonlight then all of a sudden you hear the sound of him putting handcuffs on her. He takes her to Arkham for the murder of Chase Meridian but it's still unresolved since Catwoman says "Did I do that?" and it's open-ended, you never know whether she killed her or not.
Thanks for clearing this up I always kept thinking whenever I watched the movie "Where Dent went during the events in Batman Returns?"

Old 08-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #713
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Is it just me or is Batman Return's Blu-Ray picture quality much better than Batman 89?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #714
The Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Is it just me or is Batman Return's Blu-Ray picture quality much better than Batman 89?
I agree, it seems much more crisp and clear. But then I think the visuals in Returns are so much nicer than B'89's. The snowy Gotham is just gorgeous.

- The Joker
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #715
RustyCage
Come what may..

Yeah, it's always seemed like Returns had way better cameras or something, so I'm not surprised. You guys have me wanting to get a Blu-ray player!!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #716
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
I agree, it seems much more crisp and clear. But then I think the visuals in Returns are so much nicer than B'89's. The snowy Gotham is just gorgeous.

Sure is. BR blu-ray is richer, sharper than Batman 89. If you look at Schumacher ones B&R has more crisp, clear and looked richer than Forever. Too bad B&R sucked though.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #717
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

After watching Batman yesterday, I saw it only fitting to watch this film as well.
I never get tired of this movie. To me, it's just utterly beautiful throughout, and has such engaging character. Both Penguin and Catwoman are two of the most sympathetic characters, but because of all the things they do and get away with, you can't really root for them, and I love that.
And the scene in which Selena Kyle trashes her apartment is probably one of my favorite scenes of all-time. And Danny Elfman's score over it just adds so much more. I love it.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #718
returntovoid
Side-Kick

I learned a lot about Batman Returns from users Cain, Man-Bat, El Payaso and jamesCameronOnl. I've got a lot appreciation for Tim Burton's Batman films especially Batman Returns, now. Here's a blog post dedicated to every hard-core Batman Returns fan that got fed up with reiterating many times that Selina Kyle/Catwoman is not supernatural. Time to spread the word around that this is a misconception on the part of film-critics, audiences and some fans.

http://backtovoid.blogspot.com/2010/...ernatural.html

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #719
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

^ yup. The way I've always seen it is that the fall caused a brain damage and awakened some primal instinct, therefore she had all those physical abilities. As for being shot repeatedly and surviving, I also always excluded the supernatural. Theres toying with the idea present, but that its just all real life stuff. people survive multiple shots and we dont know if Selina did get some medical attention or if she somewhat healed the wounds herself, since she was quite immune to pain. Not to mention that none of her wounds were life threatening, she got mostly hit in the arms and on the sides of her body. The evidence that the 9 lives thing is just a metaphor is that Selina never actually died and yet she refers to all of her failings or falls as deaths and counted down the lives. I tihnk all that is simply yet another homage to the Golden Age where Catwoman ...well, stuff happened like in the movie, see for yourself

And again, if anyone's trying to judge this movie by the standards of the "regular" movies that hes missing the point. Batman Returns, like most of Tim Burton's early movies, does not comply to the rules of logic and technical accuracy - nor does it need to, nor did it ever claimed to do. It's a ethereal and expressionistic tale, its just not that type of a story

Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #720
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesCameronOnl View Post

In the next panel for that comic, Catwoman declares in her thought bubbles that she made sure that the bullets in his gun were blank cartridges.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #721
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

I know but just that scene always reminded me of the scene with Shreck shooting. Plus there were instances of Catwoman falling off the plane and her body missing

Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #722
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

with X-Mas season already among us, it's only fitting that i watch this movie

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #723
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I know but just that scene always reminded me of the scene with Shreck shooting. Plus there were instances of Catwoman falling off the plane and her body missing
Catwoman fell into some kind of dam in the 1966 TV series and according to Batman no one could have survived that. He even cried over her death. But she came back... as Eartha Kitt.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #724
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Catwoman fell into some kind of dam in the 1966 TV series and according to Batman no one could have survived that. He even cried over her death. But she came back... as Eartha Kitt.
If only everyone could have such a resurrection! I loved the purrrrrrrrrrfect way in which she rolled her R's. She is a legend and is missed dearly.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #725
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know but just that scene always reminded me of the scene with Shreck shooting.
Ah, I get what you mean.

Quote:
Plus there were instances of Catwoman falling off the plane and her body missing
Yeah, that happened in her first suggested origin from Batman #62 (1950). But what other comics did it happen in???

Closed Thread