The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #376
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Thanks for being "nice". Let's look at the facts - Jim Carrey is an extremely talented actor who has received critical acclaim in both comedic and dramatic roles. At one point not so long ago he was the most popular actor on the planet. He is tall (6'2" according to IMDB) so he can "fill the suit", and is great at physical comedy - he can probably handle action sequences without much need for stunt work. He has a rubbery face and has acted successfully under heavy prosthetics in both the Mask and the Grinch.

Carrey is in a bit of a career lull, not unlike RDJ a few years ago. (I'm guessing your response to Iron Man casting rumors back in 2007 - "Seriously, what? Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man? Robert Downy Jr. for Iron Man?"). Carrey would probably agree to a reasonable salary to take what could be a career defining role, and his star power will put Marvel's riskiest movie to date in the public spotlight.

I'm going to double down on my comment - Jim Carrey may be the best choice for Thanos. I would welcome an intelligent rebuttal that isn't "Seriously, what?"
Okay, here's an intelligent and simple rebuttal: Thanos is NOT a comedic character. Thanos is the literal personification of Death. He can slay half the universe with a wave of his hand. He is an unstoppable force. If you don't know anything about Thanos (and you don't), then maybe you know a bit more about Darkseid and can understand *him* a bit better: Thanos and Darkseid are cut from the same cloth. Literally.

In no way, shape or form is Thanos intended to be a funny character.

....And the first one of you sumbeeches that brings up the Thanoscopter is getting the back of my hand.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #377
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 1

But the thanoscopter.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #378
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Dude, totally the Thanoscopter.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #379
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

But seriously, I don't see Carrey as Thanos. Sorry to disappoint the one guy who likes the idea.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #380
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
I'm going to double down on my comment - Jim Carrey may be the best choice for Thanos. I would welcome an intelligent rebuttal that isn't "Seriously, what?"

Why would he be the best choice? There are so many actors out there that could do a good job in the role(even an unknown). Sounds like you're just picking Jim because he's currently one of the only two rumored actors to be up for a role.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #381
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
But the thanoscopter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Dude, totally the Thanoscopter.
THAT'S it....Titan-sized pimpslaps all around

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #382
Chewy
REDACTED

Jim Carrey is obviously playing the Wasp

*bows out*

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #383
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Okay, here's an intelligent and simple rebuttal: Thanos is NOT a comedic character. Thanos is the literal personification of Death. He can slay half the universe with a wave of his hand. He is an unstoppable force. If you don't know anything about Thanos (and you don't), then maybe you know a bit more about Darkseid and can understand *him* a bit better: Thanos and Darkseid are cut from the same cloth. Literally.

In no way, shape or form is Thanos intended to be a funny character.

....And the first one of you sumbeeches that brings up the Thanoscopter is getting the back of my hand.
Carrey has received critical acclaim for roles such as "I love you Phillip Morris" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". He's a fine actor, period, not just a funny man.

I've been following the exploits of the Mad Titan since Starlin's run on Captain Marvel. I know the character. Given your description of Thanos as "cut from the same cloth" as Darkseid, it would appear that you don't understand the character at all.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #384
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Watch out, we got a bad ass over here.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #385
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Quote:
Carrey has received critical acclaim for roles such as "I love you Phillip Morris" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". He's a fine actor, period, not just a funny man.

I've been following the exploits of the Mad Titan since Starlin's run on Captain Marvel. I know the character. Given your description of Thanos as "cut from the same cloth" as Darkseid, it would appear that you don't understand the character at all.
Let's get Carrey for Thanos then recast Captain America with Steve Carrel and Will Ferrell as Thor. Carrel and Ferrell are both really great actors so.....there you have it. The MCU will be better than ever

Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #386
deadmannuk12
Side-Kick

Quick question, Why do we not think Damion Poitier will play Thanos in GOTG or A2?

Did he do a bad job?

Does he not look good?

Do you even need a big name to sell Thanos? Or are people interested enough as is about the guy?

So why do people think he wont play Thanos?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #387
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmannuk12 View Post
Quick question, Why do we not think Damion Poitier will play Thanos in GOTG or A2?

Did he do a bad job?

Does he not look good?

Do you even need a big name to sell Thanos? Or are people interested enough as is about the guy?

Obviously because Carrey is taking the role. I haven't heard anything regarding Poiter so I have no idea where he stands. They can make him look the part, but acting it is a whole 'nother ball game.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #388
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post

Why would he be the best choice? There are so many actors out there that could do a good job in the role(even an unknown). Sounds like you're just picking Jim because he's currently one of the only two rumored actors to be up for a role.
Carrey is a tall, athletic, gifted actor with an expressive face who can bring the "buzz" essential for what looks to be a risky project. Thanos isn't Darkseid. I want a performer who can deliver a humorous line with an evil smile. And, other than Jim's slight build - which will be covered in armor and padding - I haven't read a compelling reason why he shouldn't be cast in the role.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #389
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
it would appear that you don't understand the character at all.
Oh knock that **** off bro. You aren't going to impress anyone with your alleged "superior funnybook knowledge".

Learn to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you. Especially when you're proposing an absurd mismatch like Jim Carrey playing Thanos.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #390
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Hiddleston originally auditioned for the role of Thor. Despite being an amazing actor, it doesn't take a genius to see that Hiddleston wouldn't have been a good fit for Thor. Same goes for Carrey and to entertain this is mind boggling.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #391
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmannuk12 View Post

Did he do a bad job?

Does he not look good?

Because Poitier is a career stuntman whose biggest "acting" gig was a background role in a few episodes of True Blood.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #392
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Carrey is a tall, athletic, gifted actor with an expressive face who can bring the "buzz" essential for what looks to be a risky project. Thanos isn't Darkseid. I want a performer who can deliver a humorous line with an evil smile. And, other than Jim's slight build - which will be covered in armor and padding - I haven't read a compelling reason why he shouldn't be cast in the role.
A humorous line? Thanos isn't a jokester, the only reason why some people might think that is because of the older comics he was in, where the writing might have been a bit cheesy compared to today's books.

Although Carrey has been in some serious roles, he was still a bit goofy in them. I just couldn't take him seriously as Thanos, especially him trying to make up a voice that would befit the character.

Personally, I kind of want them to use CGI for most of Thanos. Thanos is a big guy, and not just in height. He's incredibly bulky, to the point where the suit they would need to put on the actor would look incredibly silly due to how big it would have to be. I just don't want him toned down for the films he's going to appear in. His face looked perfect at the end of Avengers, my only complaint was they used the actual actor's hand for that shot of him standing up.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #393
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Oh knock that **** off bro. You aren't going to impress anyone with your alleged "superior funnybook knowledge".

Learn to accept that not everyone is going to agree with you. Especially when you're proposing an absurd mismatch like Jim Carrey playing Thanos.
I responded to someone who questioned my understanding of the character using his exact words. I understand the concern, but I would prefer a skilled actor. In the role as opposed to a muscular brute. I think, like Michael Keaton as Batman, Carrey would impress in the role.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #394
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Quote:
I responded to someone who questioned my understanding of the character using his exact words. I understand the concern, but I would prefer a skilled actor. In the role as opposed to a muscular brute. I think, like Michael Keaton as Batman, Carrey would impress in the role.
You know Carrey isn't the only skilled actor in Hollywood right?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #395
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
You know Carrey isn't the only skilled actor in Hollywood right?
Exactly!

It's like what I posted earlier.

"Sounds like you're just picking Jim because he's currently one of the only two rumored actors to be up for a role."

Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #396
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Exactly!

It's like what I posted earlier.

"Sounds like you're just picking Jim because he's currently one of the only two rumored actors to be up for a role."
To a degree, that's correct - but I couldnt come up with a reason he shouldnt be cast in the role. And I haven't read one in this forum.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #397
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
To a degree, that's correct - but I couldnt come up with a reason he shouldnt be cast in the role. And I haven't read one in this forum.
I already told you one in my previous post which you didn't quote.

That he's too goofy...even in his serious roles. That and I don't think he could come up with a convincing voice that would befit Thanos. I also said that Thanos isn't a jokester, which you seem to think he is since you posted this.

"I want a performer who can deliver a humorous line with an evil smile."

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #398
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Are we seriously discussing Jim Carrey playing Thanos??

Really?

Its gotta be trolling.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #399
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
Let's get Carrey for Thanos then recast Captain America with Steve Carrel and Will Ferrell as Thor. Carrel and Ferrell are both really great actors so.....there you have it. The MCU will be better than ever
Unless Feige, Gunn @ company can find a half ton purple skinned bumpy chinned brute with acting chops, they are going to have to cast an actor who doesn't resemble Thanos. But you know that.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #400
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Trouble with Thanos is there are tons of people that look the part, but acting it is going to be difficult. As posted before, Michael Clarke Duncan would have been perfect

Closed Thread