The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #176
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Mandarin discussion thread

I think it could be something like that, like he fancies himself as some wannabe Asian conqueror and he's basically playing around. Also we did see the Ten Rings banner from the first movie by the Mandarin in the background. So I imagine they will go with the sequel convention of dude in the background who has been manipulating events all along. Or as they say in Scream 3, the "past comes back to bite you in the ass."

- CM Punk
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #177
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I think it could be something like that, like he fancies himself as some wannabe Asian conqueror and he's basically playing around. Also we did see the Ten Rings banner from the first movie by the Mandarin in the background. So I imagine they will go with the sequel convention of dude in the background who has been manipulating events all along. Or as they say in Scream 3, the "past comes back to bite you in the ass."
I just really hope they make a connection with Mandarin to the death of Tony's parents. That's why it pissed me off when Spider-man went with all this "secret unrevealed past" about his parents, because I thought that should have been Tony's story, especially with how they went with Iron Man 2, and Tony viewing the footage from his dad

Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #178
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Could even be that he's a New Age type who thinks he's the reincarnation of Genghis Khan. There's plenty of those types around....especially in California. (Oh wait, I already said that. )

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #179
terry78
I don't die, fool

Those wacky west coasters and their herbs and crystals.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #180
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I'm so glad that Mandarin is going to be an actual person & not just the name of the group. Those rumors worried me.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #181
Chris B
Side-Kick

The thing I'm curious about is whether or not Kingsley had any sort of discernable ethnicity in the footage? I mean, are they trying to pass him off as Chinese or does he look more Middle Eastern/Central Asian? Which may make more sense considering his background.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #182
4green
Side-Kick

Anyone here who saw the clip, does Kingsley resemble this? http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/...kingsley-2.jpg sans the comedic slant...

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #183
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Chris B not that I could tell other than his oriental ceremonial robes. He had a beard and like a Mandarin type of hairdo but he didn't look Asian or ethnic from what I could tell.

4green, he doesn't really resemble that. No mustache and he's not bald and he's not dressed in Indian clothing.

- CM Punk
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #184
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Chris B not that I could tell other than his oriental ceremonial robes. He had a beard and like a Mandarin type of hairdo but he didn't look Asian or ethnic from what I could tell.

4green, he doesn't really resemble that. No mustache and he's not bald and he's not dressed in Indian clothing.
No moustache but just a beard? What's the idea of that? He'll look like a 60s Klingon.

And I thought you or someone else before reported he was bald but with a pony tail. Does he have hair then?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #185
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Looked like he had hair to me. It was slicked and combed back into yeah a Japanese samurai type of cut.

- CM Punk
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #186
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Oh good, at least he has hair. Is it possible that he just had a very thin moustache that you missed it because his beard was so thick? Or was there definitely no moustache? Perhaps they'll add it in post production?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #187
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

lol @ mustache in post. Doubt that. Didn't see a stache.

- CM Punk
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #188
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Perhaps it fell off during that scene and they didn't have any spirit gum to hand? But since that was all they had filmed so far, they went ahead and showed it, with the disclaimer that some scenes aren't finished yet. So yes, they won't completely add a stache in post production, but only where it fell off during filming.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #189
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Dark Raven sounds like you need to let go of the whole stache deal.

- CM Punk
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #190
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Alright, thanks for answering. I do hope that they at least hint to him having foreign roots, if not outright stating so. I think possibly making the character American is too much of a deviation.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #191
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Well think about this Chris B. He's being played by a half-English white/half-Indian dude. That's a pretty big deviation right there.

- CM Punk
Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #192
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Don't particularly like the casting of Kingsley as Mandarin. He's always been The Vulture in my mind XD

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #193
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Kingsley sounds like his Hood villain from Thunderbirds only with hair

Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #194
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Perhaps it fell off during that scene and they didn't have any spirit gum to hand? But since that was all they had filmed so far, they went ahead and showed it, with the disclaimer that some scenes aren't finished yet. So yes, they won't completely add a stache in post production, but only where it fell off during filming.
Pretty sure the added $60 million for the budget was for the extra spirit gum =)

Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #195
4green
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thanks for verifying...I was going to try and draw what he may look like but based off of various reports I get different things...bushy beard, bald/not bald, samurai top-knot/ Chinese braid....I have no idea what he looks like now. LOL

Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #196
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well think about this Chris B. He's being played by a half-English white/half-Indian dude. That's a pretty big deviation right there.
True. I guess for me it's more of a case that I can accept the character's ethnicity being changed to Middle Eastern or Central Asian to accomadate someone like Kingsley. Though I'd also rather the Mandarin remain Chinese. As long as the character still has a foreign background of some sort, I wont be too bothered.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #197
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Is he meant to be oriental then, or middle eastern? I'm hoping he's wearing a robe that is generic enough that it could pass for oriental, just to appease the Chinese.
Perhaps if they're keeping the direct descendant to Genghis Kahn angle, the Mandarin is trying to honor that by passing himself off as Mongolian even though he may not actually be that in this incarnation?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #198
Shroud46_2
New User - Level 0

You guys no he is half Indian and that is Asian right. still a good chance of having a Mongolian ancestor.

A person with a mixed ethnic back ground is better than just a white guy. And maybe a little better than just using someone fully Japanese. Korean, or from another Asian back ground actor and thinking its OK as long as its an "oriental".

They may even be using him being of a more mixed ethnicity to be less offensive to the Chinese. Him being a villain and all.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #199
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroud46_2 View Post
You guys no he is half Indian and that is Asian right. still a good chance of having a Mongolian ancestor.

A person with a mixed ethnic back ground is better than just a white guy. And maybe a little better than just using someone fully Japanese. Korean, or from another Asian back ground actor and thinking its OK as long as its an "oriental".

They may even be using him being of a more mixed ethnicity to be less offensive to the Chinese. Him being a villain and all.
Actually, a VERY high chance of an Indian having a Mongolian ancestor. For centuries, India was ruled by the Mogul dynasty, and "Mogul" is just a mistranslation of the Mongols. India was ruled directly by Khan's descendants, like Chagatai and Tamerlane.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #200
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Did anyone catch the Mandarin references in Iron Man 1?

Closed Thread