The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

View Poll Results: Hobbit An Unexpected Journey.
10 16 20.78%
9 22 28.57%
8 15 19.48%
7 7 9.09%
6 13 16.88%
5 3 3.90%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #701
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Because fanboys don't enjoy the other side of discussion.

Marvolo, guess who was apparently right about the exact end point? Smaug flying towards Lake Town, and the screen cuts to black.
Damnit! Oh well apparently there is plenty of action. Ill just have to deal with this matrix reloaded style cliffhanger.

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #702
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Damnit! I hate cliffhangers like that! That's about as bad as the cliffhanger in Matrix Reloaded.
I have been trying to prepare you for about a year now.

I personally think it has potential, though the one confirming it didn't seem all that thrilled by it.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #703
DarthSkywalker

All bets are off. Apparently Galadriel has a quick scene in the film. That means she is in every film.

Also apparently no Thrain flashback. Considering how prominent it has been in the ads, that is a bit disappointing.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #704
Persona
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also apparently no Thrain flashback. Considering how prominent it has been in the ads, that is a bit disappointing.
how does this keep NOT ending up in the movies? at this point i expect it to be in the trailers for TABA, as well, and it'll turn out to be an after-credits stinger or something.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #705
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have been trying to prepare you for about a year now.

I personally think it has potential, though the one confirming it didn't seem all that thrilled by it.
If they're done well, Cliffhangers can be really cool. For instance, the cliffhanger to HP and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Voldemort finding the Elder Wand) was fantastic, at least to me. The cliffhanger for Kung Fu Panda 2 was also great.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #706
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post
how does this keep NOT ending up in the movies? at this point i expect it to be in the trailers for TABA, as well, and it'll turn out to be an after-credits stinger or something.

Considering the way the trailers were structured, you'd think it would have been in the first film. But it keeps on not happening. I guess it could end up EE material or in TABA, but I was dead certain it would be in this film.

I did read a not so bad theory that perhaps it will be in TABA as a way to juxtapose Thorin's potential madness. The question then is, when exactly do you put it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
If they're done well, Cliffhangers can be really cool. For instance, the cliffhanger to HP and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Voldemort finding the Elder Wand) was fantastic, at least to me. The cliffhanger for Kung Fu Panda 2 was also great.
The DH P1 cliffhanger worked wonders imo because the first film was a full and complete film (can't say the same for the final film). Same with Kung Fu Panda. TESB and FotR are two other great examples .The key is to make a weighty film, with character arcs and a semi-contained story, or you end up with Matrix Reloaded.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #707
Venomfan
Side-Kick

So Bolg is confirmed CGI in this thread (lots of spoilers) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1170358/board/thread/222905157

guy was asked what Bolg looked like and he replied that "he looked orcish and had a big metal plate in his head" and was CGI

Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #708
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:

Considering the way the trailers were structured, you'd think it would have been in the first film. But it keeps on not happening. I guess it could end up EE material or in TABA, but I was dead certain it would be in this film.

I did read a not so bad theory that perhaps it will be in TABA as a way to juxtapose Thorin's potential madness. The question then is, when exactly do you put it in.

The DH P1 cliffhanger worked wonders imo because the first film was a full and complete film (can't say the same for the final film). Same with Kung Fu Panda. TESB and FotR are two other great examples .The key is to make a weighty film, with character arcs and a semi-contained story, or you end up with Matrix Reloaded.
Almost guarantee it will be the prologue for TABA. Remember the smeagol/deagol scene was originally placed in TTT swamp scene when frodo first calls Gollum by his real name smeagol and Gollum goes all glassy eyed and remembers. Originally the smeagol/deagol scene was a flashback there. Jackson bumped it to ROTK as that films prologue to further show the madness the ring causes and what frodo is about to go through.

I bet Jackson will place the Thrain scene at the beginning of TABA to show us the madness that runs in Thorins blood and what could happen to him. If this is the case, I also get the feeling Thorin's madness and agression especially towards Bilbo before the battle of five armies will be amplified in the film and a prominent part of that film's story.

Last edited by Marvolo; 12-03-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #709
vinsanity
Side-Kick

first clip with Legolas and Tauriel

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/0...do-bloom-clip/

Old 12-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #710
vinsanity
Side-Kick

And we have a review (fan review): http://abbastudios.blogspot.pt/2013/...-of-smaug.html

Old 12-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #711
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Almost guarantee it will be the prologue for TABA. Remember the smeagol/deagol scene was originally placed in TTT swamp scene when frodo first calls Gollum by his real name smeagol and Gollum goes all glassy eyed and remembers. Originally the smeagol/deagol scene was a flashback there. Jackson bumped it to ROTK as that films prologue to further show the madness the ring causes and what frodo is about to go through.

I bet Jackson will place the Thrain scene at the beginning of TABA to show us the madness that runs in Thorins blood and what could happen to him. If this is the case, I also get the feeling Thorin's madness and agression especially towards Bilbo before the battle of five armies will be amplified in the film and a prominent part of that film's story.
Possible, but that seems kinda weird considering we now know what will be at the start of TABA. The scene will almost feel like it is delaying what we are waiting for.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #712
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Possible, but that seems kinda weird considering we now know what will be at the start of TABA. The scene will almost feel like it is delaying what we are waiting for.
I think we can guarantee the movie won't open straight to the battle of laketown. Every LOTR had a prologue. So far AUJ had one and if DOS has one then its safe to assume TABA will too. If it isnt the Thrain scene it will be something else.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #713
DarthSkywalker

The theory is sound, probably right. Though part of me thinks the "prologue" will be the attack. It would grab everyone instantly.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #714
vinsanity
Side-Kick

And another clip, this one an old clip of the interragation of that orc by Legolas and Thranduil, but now in HD quality

I'm 99% sure that orc is prosthetic, maybe the eyes are cg enhanced

although from i've read, Bolg is CGI like Azog in the movie

Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #715
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

Why are you acting all disappointed that Bolg is CGI? Azog looks insanely good in AUJ considering they had like 3 months to make him (ie appendices on AUJ extended edition), they had plenty of time with Bolg, changed their plans with him, he will without a doubt look great, Pete explained that there are things where the prosthetics, and practical side is just too limiting.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #716
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Why are you acting all disappointed that Bolg is CGI? Azog looks insanely good in AUJ considering they had like 3 months to make him (ie appendices on AUJ extended edition), they had plenty of time with Bolg, changed their plans with him, he will without a doubt look great, Pete explained that there are things where the prosthetics, and practical side is just too limiting.
And Peter can be wrong. Shocking I know. But some don't agree, and considering how hit and miss the CGI has been in all the Peter Jackson middle-earth films, I most certainly understand it. Look at the LotR films now. Outside of the Balrog, it doesn't hold up very well at all.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #717
Boom
I got nothin'

Well the Balrog was just sheer perfection. I didn't get into Lord of the Rings until I saw that thing on screen. Then I proceeded to read everything I could get my hands on.

Last edited by Boom; 12-03-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #718
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Well just the Balrog was just sheer perfection. I didn't get into Lord of the Rings until I saw that thing on screen. Then I proceeded to read everything I could get my hands on.
The Balrog is a work of art. It still gets me every time I see it.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #719
vinsanity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Why are you acting all disappointed that Bolg is CGI?
Because the previous designs, the prosthetic ones were awesome, i doubt the CGI version of Bolg will be as cool as those ones.

Yes, the Balrog still looks awesome to this day

Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #720
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Hell yeah! The balrog really is aging amazingly. Nothing fake looking about it. Its the best cgi in the entire franchise imo. I rank it above gollum only because it doesn't have the problem of actual cgi skin and the lighting and texturing problems that come with such things. Cgi skin just won't age as well. Not that I hold that against the gollum cgi. It can't be helped.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #721
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Got my hands on the Hobbit: DoS soundtrack, can't wait to listen to it tomorrow morning when I drive to work.
IT is AWESOME...well I loved it. lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #722
Boom
I got nothin'

Admittedly the shot of him fighting Gandalf on the mountaintop hasn't aged all that well. But every shot of the Balrog in FoTR and the prologue in TT were perfect.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #723
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Admittedly the shot of him fighting Gandalf on the mountaintop hasn't aged all that well. But every shot of the Balrog in FoTR and the prologue in TT were perfect.
I remember the scene being longer in the book, but yeah the Balrog is amazing. I bought the Diorama with the Balrog and Gandalf in the mines because I just HAD to have it and it's still on display in my apartment lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #724
Drizzle
Fine, I'll D'oh it myself

Quote:
And Peter can be wrong. Shocking I know. But some don't agree, and considering how hit and miss the CGI has been in all the Peter Jackson middle-earth films, I most certainly understand it. Look at the LotR films now. Outside of the Balrog, it doesn't hold up very well at all.
Gollum still looks great, as do the Oliphaunts and Shelob. Some of the CG in the army shots (like the Uruk Hai marching to Helm's Deep) don't hold up very well, but a lot of the visual effects in LOTR hold up because they were done practically with miniatures and prosthetics.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #725
Loki882
Side-Kick

I still think that the cgi in LOTR holds up pretty well for the most part. There are really only a couple of scenes in the entire saga that I think it looks meh in, but even then it's not horrible.

Closed Thread