The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Stand-Alone Movies

Old 01-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #226
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: Ewan McGregor in talks for "Obi-Wan Spin-off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If Ewan returns, I'll be really curious as to when this will be set. We're closing in on 13 years since Revenge of the Sith, which is 6 years under the span of time between Sith and A New Hope, and even when we hit that mark, Ewan will be way too young to pull off anything near the Obi Wan we meet in ANH.

So... like 3-5 years post-Sith?
Yeah, hopefully they set it in an era where he will be roughly the right age without having to waste a chunk of the budget changing his look for a big part of the film.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #227
wampa1
Side-Kick

If they go ahead with this movie, I hope they're careful enough to never use the name 'Obi-Wan'.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi... Obi-Wan? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time... a long time."

"I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since oh, before you were born."

I almost feel as though the prequels missed a trick in not calling Obi-Wan 'Ben' for the majority of it and people only calling him Obi-Wan when meeting formally (like you would call your mate 'Dave' but people meeting him for the first time would say 'David'). Otherwise we're getting to the point where you have to start claiming that everything Obi-Wan says in the OT is a lie or vague truth.

Last edited by wampa1; 01-10-2018 at 05:58 AM.
wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #228
titansupes
Side-Kick

There was a Facebook meme thing floating around that basically had a photo of Anakin (burning on the ground) and Obi-Wan (screaming in despair) on Mustafar, and Uncle Owen's words over it-- "I don't think he exists anymore. He died about the same time your father did".

My description doesn't do it justice, but it was poetic as hell.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #229
StarLord
You're Welcome

Could this be a sign?

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #230
Grootster
Dancing Tree

I really hope they announce an Obi-Wan movie soon, because right now I'm just not excited for anything in this brand. An Obi-Wan movie has the potential to get my excitement going again, provided they do it well. I just hope the rumors about Stephen Daldry being involved are false.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #231
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampa1 View Post
I almost feel as though the prequels missed a trick in not calling Obi-Wan 'Ben' for the majority of it and people only calling him Obi-Wan when meeting formally (like you would call your mate 'Dave' but people meeting him for the first time would say 'David').
I disagree. It's best that they didnt use the name Ben at all. That way Obi-Wan is not associated with it in any way and helps his hiding out. If they do this spinoff, the name Obi-Wan should definitely not be used.

I think it would be interesting to see how he dealt with having to leave behind Obi-Wan Kenobi and embrace Ben Kenobi, and how he transitioned mentally and emotionally from his structured Jedi life to being lonely old Ben, plus the burden of Anakin/Vader.

The day they confirm this movie with Ewan as Obi-Wan, i'll be the happiest person in the world.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #232
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

If this movie does happen, it would be cool to get a Qui-Gon force ghost cameo.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Tomb Raider-7(8)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #233
Jedi-Spirit
Side-Kick

My list of things to make Obi-Wan spinoff a special addition to the franchise.

1. Little to no you Luke, only small bits involving "Ben" observing & possibly a brief interaction between the two.

2. Leave Tatooine for much of the story, have Ben interacting behind the scenes, with Bail Organa, Yoda & spying on the Empire.

3. Have Ben interact in a local conflict that if not dealt with would see a bigger Imperial presence on Tatooine, possibly with Rival factions, like the Hutts & criminal rivals.

4. Jabba the Hutt & more new Hutts, possibly Hutt home world.

5. Finally, I want the story to gravitate toward just how bad things have gotten in the galaxy, and have Obi-Wan, contact Yoda about intervention. Yoda tells him not to, but he feels responsible for both "creating" & allowing Vader to live.

6. Climax, Obi-Wan steps from the shadows to confront Vader in an epic showdown, at once wanting to turn him from the darkside & if not destroy him.

Appearances... Yoda, Bail, Jabba, Vader, An Inquisitor, Beru & Owen, young Luke, Sand People, Various Imperial Forces, Local Thugs, Small Time Crime Lord & their henchmen. Finally the legendary Krayt Dragon!

Jedi-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #234
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Why would Obi-Wan Kenobi risk leaving? His whole purpose was to stay and watch over Luke until he was ready.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #235
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Ehh, I don't really need Ben interacting with Jabba & his goons.

Just go really, really small-scale with it. Some local potential threat to Luke (and more an unknowing threat to Luke, they're not actually after him but Obi sees them as trouble), no links to off-world.

An Inquisitor seems too much, personally.

Just have the Sand People as part of the equation, maybe not the "main" villains but part of what he has to deal with. Some other small group, maybe rivals to Jabba & Co, trying for a power grab that would be worse for Owen & Beru, like Jabba leaves the little guys alone but this other group wouldn't.

And yeah, a Qui-Gon cameo would be cool, but it'd probably just have to be a voice. Hasn't it kind of been hinted that Jinn didn't quite master the full-on ghost thing, it's a little more of a prototype thing in terms of being able to interact with the living? That'd be enough for me, echoes of Obi-Wan's "use the Force, Luuuke..." stuff in the trench, just a voice in Obi's head during his exile.

As for Ben leaving, I'm cool with it if it's very briefly and of utmost necessity, and he only did it once or twice over those 19 years. Any more would be pushing it though. Like..."Bail contacts him in urgent need of advice over something that might deal a big blow to the Empire, Obi heads out to Alderaan for 48 hours before rushing his ass back to his desert hut" would be fine.

Just...yeah, no Force-related adversaries. No Maul, no Inquisitors, no Vader, nothing. It's too much.

Aximili86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #236
StarLord
You're Welcome

I think there has to be a formidable adversary.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #237
Aximili86
Side-Kick

I don't know about that. At least not in the Force-user sense.

It sort of takes away from the forgotten-about-hermit thing. Ben shouldn't be a big deal in the power hierarchy on Tatooine, probably shouldn't have a reputation as some mythical badass. At least aside from among the Tuskens.

You'd figure if there was some big threat on Tatooine and Ben had taken them down, word might spread.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #238
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootster View Post
I really hope they announce an Obi-Wan movie soon, because right now I'm just not excited for anything in this brand. An Obi-Wan movie has the potential to get my excitement going again, provided they do it well. I just hope the rumors about Stephen Daldry being involved are false.
This

After TLJ, my hype for anything Star Wars died. We didn't need a Han Solo spinoff, but an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor will definitely get me interested in Star Wars again

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #239
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Until they cast a girl or somethin'.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #240
terry78
Snap.

Ben can maybe get embroiled in something that he doesn't want to since he's only there to watch Luke. Just have it not be related to anything with the Empire and ****.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #241
Jedi-Spirit
Side-Kick

Lines of dialogue from the OT, that would dovetail nicely with these ideas...

Vader - Obi-wan once thought as you do...

Vader - you should not have come back...

Obi-Wan - he's more machine than man now, twisted & evil...

All can be accomplished while hiding Ben & not having Luke's presence given away...

Simply end the confrontation as they did with ROTS, have Vader depart believing Obi-Wan has died...

Jedi-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #242
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
This

After TLJ, my hype for anything Star Wars died. We didn't need a Han Solo spinoff, but an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor will definitely get me interested in Star Wars again
I didn’t hate TLJ, but I have to admit it killed my hype for the for what’s to come in this universe. I do like the look of Solo, but an Obi Wan movie would get me properly hyped again.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Tomb Raider-7(8)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote