The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #301
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom 1988 View Post
He basically says knowing what's in store after this (Infinity War), I know we're not even close to being on the top.
Thanks.

I was thinking, the whole concept of the Avengers has gotten a little screwy of late. Infinity Wars isn't really an "Avengers" film as much as it is basically every Superhero from the MCU so far.

As they move forward, and the universe continues to grow, it will be impossible to include everybody. And I think that's why Feige indicated we'd be getting away from the phases - Infinity Wars is basically the culmination of everything and now things need to fall back a little bit and give viewers a rest.

But the timing of this deal is perfect from the point of view that the FF and X-Men are new characters that haven't been in the MCU yet, so the next 10 years could focus on X-Men and FF in the same way that the first 10 years focused on the Avengers (with other things going on as well).

If I were Feige, I'd be looking at the next 10 years as an opportunity to focus on FF and X-Men and build towards an epic show-down in which the FF team up with the X-Men and battle Galactus or Doom or some combination.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #302
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Thanks.

I was thinking, the whole concept of the Avengers has gotten a little screwy of late. Infinity Wars isn't really an "Avengers" film as much as it is basically every Superhero from the MCU so far.

As they move forward, and the universe continues to grow, it will be impossible to include everybody. And I think that's why Feige indicated we'd be getting away from the phases - Infinity Wars is basically the culmination of everything and now things need to fall back a little bit and give viewers a rest.

But the timing of this deal is perfect from the point of view that the FF and X-Men are new characters that haven't been in the MCU yet, so the next 10 years could focus on X-Men and FF in the same way that the first 10 years focused on the Avengers (with other things going on as well).

If I were Feige, I'd be looking at the next 10 years as an opportunity to focus on FF and X-Men and build towards an epic show-down in which the FF team up with the X-Men and battle Galactus or Doom or some combination.
They should've flown these next two movies under their own flag as Marvel's Infinity War.

There's basically 3 tiers established. Hero(s), Team up, and Universe.

Because this is flying under and Avengers' flag the bar for the next Avengers could be set too high unless their abandoning it for a while.

That also gives them a huge brand to look towards for future movies like say Marvel's Galactus or Marvel's Secret Wars.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #303
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I think Avengers 5 doesn't have to be as big or epic as IW/A4. The audience understands not everyone here is an Avenger. So in that movie, just do a plot focused on whoever the Avengers are at that point. The audience will play along.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #304
Another_Fool
Side-Kick

Omg. Whatever you people do, if you're on Reddit don't sort by controversial posts in any thread until after you've seen Infinity War. I was in a subreddit entirely unrelated to infinity war and I think someone just spoiled it big time.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #305
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think Avengers 5 doesn't have to be as big or epic as IW/A4. The audience understands not everyone here is an Avenger. So in that movie, just do a plot focused on whoever the Avengers are at that point. The audience will play along.
The Fast and Furious franchise is I think the best evidence I have for escalating scope. Originally they were street racers who stole some VCRs. Now they're an elite group of glob trotting government agents .

Point is I can see people expecting further escalation under that Avengers moniker, and it needs to be controlled.

All franchises go through it. Cap 1 was smaller than Cap 2 and was smaller than Cap 3. But we knew going from A1 to Cap 2 it would be a different scale.

FF4 I'm sure will see the size and scope of their threats increase as well.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #306
BeserkerHilf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Fool View Post
Omg. Whatever you people do, if you're on Reddit don't sort by controversial posts in any thread until after you've seen Infinity War. I was in a subreddit entirely unrelated to infinity war and I think someone just spoiled it big time.
I really hope this is a general PSA and not something related to the thread's topic.

The Stack Podcast - A Pop-Culture Junkies podcast not limited to comics.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #307
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:

If I were Feige, I'd be looking at the next 10 years as an opportunity to focus on FF and X-Men and build towards an epic showdown in which the FF team up with the X-Men and battle Galactus or Doom or some combination.
That's very much my expectation.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #308
Marvel united
Omega level Mutant

Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, X-Men and Fantastic Four leading the next couple of phases sounds like a great deal

Old 04-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #309
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

On the topic of rights reverting: That Venom trailer looks pretty bad to me, and I can't imagine it will appeal to many people. I'm betting on a bomb, and if that happens, it may end Sony's delusions that they can go it alone.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #310
MbJ
Side-Kick

People actually responded pretty well to the new Venom trailer (it has over 13 million views right now), so I don't think it's gonna bomb. Especially if they were smart and didn't spend a whole bunch on it.

Quote:

I'm not convinced the Avengers, as a franchise, are going anywhere after A4. The originals perhaps, but it's pretty much a given at this point we're gonna get a New Avengers of some kind.

Last edited by MbJ; 04-24-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #311
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't think it will bomb. The biggest movies competing with it in October are Goosebumps 2 and the new Halloween (which is 2 weeks later). I think it will do well without serious competition.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #312
Marvel united
Omega level Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
People actually responded pretty well to the new Venom trailer so I don't think it's gonna bomb. Especially if they were smart and didn't spend a whole bunch on it.

I'm not convinced the Avengers, as a franchise, are going anywhere after A4. The originals perhaps, but it's pretty much a given at this point we're gonna get a New Avengers of some kind.
X-Men can replace the Avengers as the main "team" franchise of the MCU. The New Avengers will be a separate, smaller branch. The F4 can be the main "sci-fi" team of the MCU post-Guardians

Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #313
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel united View Post
X-Men can replace the Avengers as the main "team" franchise of the MCU. The New Avengers will be a separate, smaller branch.
I'm not so sure about that. Particularly when they have so many new players (four of whom have already gone over big with audiences) who are well known as Avengers in the comics. I don't see the team taking the back seat anytime soon.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #314
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

The Avengers will still be the main team in the MCU, I am sure.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #315
Iceman
Infinity War!

Hopefully we soon have 4 huge teams. Avengers, X-Men, F4 and Guardians.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #316
Zarex
Side-Kick

Regardless of who else joins the in Phase 4 and beyond, the Avengers franchise will stick around as the "MCU All Stars".

Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #317
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Agreed. You don't retire The Avengers name when it is a multi-BILLION dollar enterprise, LOL!

Old 04-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #318
MbJ
Side-Kick

I can see certain characters retired (if we don't get the death of at least one of the "big 6" by the end of Avengers 4, I'll eat my hat). But Black Panther broke a billion, Spider-Man: Homecoming made over 800 million, both Ant-Man and Doctor Strange did respectable numbers as well, and Captain Marvel is likely going to be another hit (especially if Infinity War teases her somehow). They have a very strong bench of Avengers to utilize going forward, even if they lose some of the originals.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #319
DyfeddRex
Side-Kick

I'm more convinced after watching Guardians V1 today again... and T:R that I have a glimmer of what the secret easter egg is in that first one. Now, I have yet to see IW, so this may be wrong.

GotG V1, 33:57 mark, few seconds before and a few after.

Off on the left hand part of the screen just off of Thanos's right hand as he spins to chide Ronan, two bright stars close together, a shadow mouth below, and a very ominous and familiar shadowy crown above it in near purple tones.

Those set of rights are home, gang. I think they've been sitting on Galactus and the Surfer's rights just to use them to set up the . Now, the deal is going down, and I will bet my flabby behind that it includes a transfer no matter what of the First Family. Too much is pointing that way.

1. The AoS "Destroyer of Worlds" arc. Too bloody close to the "Devourer of Worlds" title. Foreshadowing of the dread to come if nothing is done, and a certain force for good does not arise.
2. We keep thinking that Capt. Marvel will be just her, but others still not empowered could be in that movie to come as well. And where better than an already space opera movie to set off the First Family?
3. That Surfer credit still ain't been denied, just deflected. What the hell is the easter egg to keep our butts in the seats through the credits of IW for? Some Dude Surfing the Cosmos to a Satriani tune, I pray.
4. If we are going into the next phase as a cosmic phase, what is more cosmic than the being who is The Power Cosmic Personified?
5. Like so many have said, the way Feige is dodging and deflecting the questions on the next phase is beginning to be too much like the Sony-Gate thing. He has something up his sleeve, and is trying very hard to get us to go "All-In" on it. Now, we get the word that holding back that title for A4 is a mistake? No, it was perfect marketing. We all dove on the Gauntlet story-lines, convinced it would be something from the comics, forgetting the bigger prize, a force to unmake Galactus. I remember seeing things about how Galactus was killed by Thanos in one story, why did we all miss that?
6. What could scare the "most powerful being in the universe" enough to make him seek out the gauntlet? When Thanos says "I'll do it myself." He means that he attacked Earth to see if the 4, hinted at in some yet to be revealed prophecy, had arisen on earth. They no showed, so he assumes this is one of the Universes shown to him by someone (Fate? A certain Watcher who does meddle at times?) that the FF never were born or got their powers.
7. Why kill half the universe? Simple, to keep someone from seeing a planet as a proper feast, not some morsel to barely survive on. And that face I mentioned above looks very ravenous, even in the shadow form.
8. All his appearances to date had Thanos watching into that part of space, which changed over time, but would as planets, stars, even nebulae and dust clouds are eaten to keep the beast alive until a world was in reach that could restore his strength. Not Thanos's, but Galactus's.

#GalactusIsComing #SurfingWithTheAlien #BringThe4Home!

Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #320
Ultimate Thor
Nova Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The Avengers will still be the main team in the MCU, I am sure.
Exactly. There's no way the X-Men are gonna "replace" them as the main team/franchise.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #321
rebellion
Side-Kick

avengers will always have a special place since they were first, but i still think x-men could take over as a main mcu team. it really comes down to the audiences and how they respond to it.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #322
Orba
Side-Kick

Comcast Makes Formal $31 billion Offer for Sky

Quote:
Comcast has made its offer for Sky official, tabling a $31 billion offer for the European pay-TV giant. Its offer represents a 16% premium to Sky shareholders over the existing bid from 21st Century Fox.
Comcast are making their move on Sky.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #323
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

What will that mean for the Disney-Fox merger?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #324
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

It's not a merger. Disney is buying assets from FOX.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #325
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
People actually responded pretty well to the new Venom trailer (it has over 13 million views right now), so I don't think it's gonna bomb. Especially if they were smart and didn't spend a whole bunch on it.
Well I'm one of those 13 million (which isn't a lot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...first_24_hours ), but watching the trailer and getting excited by it are two very different things.

For me, as a person who knows who Venom is but isn't a particular fan, it just looks like a cliche' sci-fi/action flick.

If they can get the Venom fans excited, that's cool and a key first step, but there's a very limited number of theater-goers and to get others, I think they need to show something more interesting than they did.