The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #176
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU Timeline+Confusions

I don't think that's a major mistake. Because Stark probably still had stuff in the old Tower and plus they hadn't sold it off yet either. I think that's at least open where they made the old Stark facility an Avengers one by Age of Ultron. I can see how that would cause confusion.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #177
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Yeah.. I guess it does to an extent. But still, they made it seem in Ultron as if the Avengers Towers were no longer there and everyone was in a different facility. But yeah, being lazy and putting off moving some of the older stuff is something most can relate to, I guess. LOL.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #178
Best
Side-Kicker

Happy's "moving upstate" lines were annoying. It was mainly exposition, and he made it sound like Tony/the Avengers had never been there before. Same with most of the lines referencing past movies.

Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #179
NealKenneth
Banned User

Iron Man 3 will bend the knee.

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #180
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Apparently Joe Russo has said that the eight years mentioned in Spider-Man Homecoming wasn't correct. I can't post the link because it's CBM, but just add CBM's website to this link:

https://www. [CBM] /avengers/avengers_infinity_war/avengers-infinity-war-director-says-spider-man-homecomings-8-years-later-time-jump-was-incorrect-a159859

Quote:
Joe Russo was asked, "What was the time gap between the events of Avengers and Spider-Man: Homecoming?" "Oh, it was eight years, I believe," he replied. "And it was quite controversial," the interview noted before Russo added: "Yes, it was a very incorrect eight years." The filmmaker doesn't elaborate on how much time really passed and he fails to address how the mistake will be dealt with (it probably won't) but it's clear now that even those working for Marvel realised they dropped the ball here.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #181
Venom 1988
formerly Ultimate_Venom

Well I guess that might finally put to rest the whole 8 year debacle. They just goofed up. And Neal he was so gung ho on Homecoming not being a mistake lol.

Venom 1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #182
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

At least they admit it was a goof, LOL! Should have just said Present Day instead.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #183
I Am The Knight
Infinity

I just don't understand how they could mess up the timeline. Or who's right and who's wrong. I thought I read that Jon Watts had this huge MCU timeline mapped out while working on Homecoming?

Last edited by I Am The Knight; 04-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #184
NewYorkSpider
Norm!

At this point I’ve pretty much made my own timeline that I’m comfortable with. I’ll have to post it sometime. I just pretty much ignore the Homecoming goof.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #185
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
At this point I’ve pretty much made my own timeline that I’m comfortable with. I’ll have to post it sometime. I just pretty much ignore the Homecoming goof.
By the time we see the sequel to Infinity War, my guess is this is going to be the best way to do the whole lot....

Phase One
1. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (+AGENT CARTER ONE-SHOT)
2. CAPTAIN MARVEL (set in 1991)
3. IRON MAN
4. IRON MAN 2 (+A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THOR'S HAMMER)
5. THOR
6. THE INCREDIBLE HULK (+THE CONSULTANT) - overlaps previous films but the way the one-shots link the films among other things means it fits best here.
7. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE (+ITEM 47)

Phase Two
8. IRON MAN 3 (+ALL HAIL THE KING)
9. THOR: THE DARK WORLD
10. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
11. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
12. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 2 (a couple of months after the first GOTG)
13. AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
14. ANT-MAN

Phase Three
15. CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
16. BLACK PANTHER (happens within weeks of CIVIL WAR)
17. SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (happens within months of CIVIL WAR)
18. ANT-MAN AND THE WASP (happens in the aftermath of CIVIL WAR, mostly likely overlapping BP and SM:H but will link to AVENGERS 4 and I'm guessing it will fit best here in the chronology.)
19. DOCTOR STRANGE (begins earlier but concludes later than SM:H and links to RAGNAROK with post-credits scene)
20. THOR: RAGNAROK (the last film chronologically before INFINITY WAR)
21. AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
22. AVENGERS 4

Last edited by Shoppy; 04-25-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #186
Venom 1988
formerly Ultimate_Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy View Post
19. DOCTOR STRANGE (begins earlier but concludes later than SM:H and links to RAGNAROK with post-credits scene)
20. THOR: RAGNAROK (the last film chronologically before INFINITY WAR
These 2 seem too close together. The way Strange handles himself in Ragnarok implies there's been a good amount of time between the end of his movie and Ragnarok.

Venom 1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #187
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom 1988 View Post
These 2 seem too close together. The way Strange handles himself in Ragnarok implies there's been a good amount of time between the end of his movie and Ragnarok.
True, and it still remains to be seen when most of the action in Ant-Man and the Wasp will take place, but look at the other films in Phase 3 ...

GOTG2 happens before Age Of Ultron, Black Panther is a couple of weeks after Civil War, Homecoming is a couple of months after Civil War, and Doctor Strange may begin before Spider-Man and overlap it's events but it ends after.

If Ant-Man and the Wasp is set, as suggested, in the aftermath of Civil War when Lang is on the run, It's likely that it will overlap the events of Homecoming at least, if not also Black Panther.

I don't dispute that a fair amount of time passes between Doctor Strange and Ragnarok at all, But I still think Ant-Man And The Wasp is going to mostly occur before Strange's conclusion, so that doesn't leave any other Phase 3 films set inbetween Doctor Strange's ending and Ragnarok, no matter how much time passes between them.

Last edited by Shoppy; 04-25-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #188
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Doctor Strange is a hard movie to place in the timeline. I struggled with this myself.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #189
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Doctor Strange is a hard movie to place in the timeline. I struggled with this myself.
I agree, Some even suggest placing it before Civil War, but I still stand by the placement of Doctor Strange after all but Ant-Man And The Wasp, which I'm currently just assuming is going to occur more around the time of Black Panther and Homecoming than in the period between Strange's ending and Ragnarok.

I'm surprised here, I thought it was the placement of The Incredible Hulk after Iron Man 2 and Thor that someone would take issue with.
It's a similar kind of thing to Strange with TIH, It starts earlier than most other films in the phase, overlaps their events and at least in it's post-credits scene, concludes after they do.
The Phase 1 films also have the One-shots which link up Iron Man 2/Thor and The Incredible Hulk/Avengers:Assemble which also lends itself to this order.

They both work well as a "now let's skip back a little and see what was going on elsewhere in this world", even though The Incredible Hulk wasn't made with this intent that's kind of what Strange is anyway

Last edited by Shoppy; 04-25-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #190
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

The most important question is.... Where are Doctor Strange's yellow gloves? He has them in the post credit scene and then they're never seen again.

So we really can't place that scene in the timeline until we get a movie where Strange either finds some yellow gloves, or loses some yellow gloves. :P

Old 04-25-2018, 11:59 PM   #191
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
The most important question is.... Where are Doctor Strange's yellow gloves? He has them in the post credit scene and then they're never seen again.

So we really can't place that scene in the timeline until we get a movie where Strange either finds some yellow gloves, or loses some yellow gloves. :P
Haha, I can prove this wrong with the help of Sergio Leone ...

A Fistful of Dollarrs (1964) - set in 1874
For A Few Dollars More (1965) - set in 1875
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966). - set in 1864-65

... With the first two films in the Dollars trilogy being set a decade after the Civil War, We don't have to wait until the scene where Clint Eastwood acquires the poncho he wears in the first film to realise that this film set during the Civil War is a prequel

Old 04-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #192
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy View Post
Haha, I can prove this wrong with the help of Sergio Leone ...

A Fistful of Dollarrs (1964) - set in 1874
For A Few Dollars More (1965) - set in 1875
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966). - set in 1864-65

... With the first two films in the Dollars trilogy being set a decade after the Civil War, We don't have to wait until the scene where Clint Eastwood acquires the poncho he wears in the first film to realise that this film set during the Civil War is a prequel
Ahhh but I can counter your argument with a simple formula.

Phase 1: No gloves
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Gloves
Phase 4: Profit

Old 04-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #193
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Keep in mind different directors guys. Russos and Feige and Cumberbatch might've all disliked the gloves and ditched them after Ragnarok.

But yeah...the timeline still messes with my head after Homecoming. Letting eight years later get in there is a MAJOR oversight.

Trying to fit into this mindset of each film happens in the year they are released is also a mistake. It should never be that rigid. It should be more loose and vague.

- CM Punk
Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #194
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Spider-Man Homecoming should've just used "Battle of New York: Aftermath" as the caption instead of "eight years ago" or "eight years later".

Old 04-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #195
Best
Side-Kicker

In Infinity War, Tony (sorta) mentioned the events of The Avengers being 6 years ago [in 2012].

So, we're back where we started. Which is for the best tbh.

Although there is still a problem I haven't seen people mention... Which is that Ragnarok is confirmed to take place 2 years after Age of Ultron by Thor, once again simply following the film release schedule. Only like, a day passed in that movie as well, and Infinity War picks up literally minutes after the ending... but then you have characters in Infinity War saying it's been 2 years since Civil War-- once again, following the release schedule... but because of that it contradicts Ragnarok allowing the timeline to follow its release schedule.

Ugh.

Last edited by Best; 04-28-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #196
jihado86
Side-Kick

Sometimes peoples simplify dates and don't mention months, I mean, they don't say two years and 9 months ago, but they simply say, two years ago. In real life people are never accurate when recalling the periods.
So, it's not a big deal when in Thor in Ragnarok refers to Ultron saying two years ago and then characters in Infinity War say it's been two years since Civil War.

Let's say Thor Ragnarok takes place in 2018, and Ultron in the 2nd half of 2015, it's probably 2 years and 7 month maybe, so, Thor simply says two years.

Infinity War takes place right after Ragnarok. But bear in mind that the post credit scene may take place a month or more after the destruction of Asgard, they may have been flying in space for months.

jihado86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #197
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yeah but the actual movie subtitles said EIGHT YEARS LATER for Homecoming.

Homecoming also begins like the day after Civil War and then picks up probably over the course of a few months.

- CM Punk
Old 04-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #198
honestbharani
Side-Kick

I always thought it was simple enough. The first Avengers was 2009 and a the whole Fury's big week was like 6 months earlier in the same 2009. That sorta simplifies the rest of it for me.

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #199
jihado86
Side-Kick

The 8 Years is a mistake, that's the one thing everyone is sure about and we can't differ on it.

jihado86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:16 AM   #200
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

On second viewing, when Cap and the rest return to Avengers HQ, I think Rhodes definitely references it's been "two years" since Civil War.

But is that really possible? That basically mean its been two years since Homecoming AND Black Panther.

Keep in mind Black Panther picks up like days after Civil War. And so does Homecoming for that matter. Except Homecoming likely takes place over weeks/months period of time. That means Peter has to be almost two years older now as well.

- CM Punk