The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #426
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

CBS News: Susan Rice Favorite To Replace Clinton As Secretary Of State

Please please please please pretty please make this happen.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #427
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 34,604
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

I dont know the first thing about this woman.

Marvolo is online now  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #428
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

That's why you should root for her and get Obama to pick her. Ignorance is bliss. Susan Rice needs to be the Secretary of State. Along with Corzine for Commerce.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #429
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 34,604
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

What has John Kerry done to get himself the Secretary of Defense role? Im still trying to wrap my head around that.


Last edited by Marvolo; 11-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Marvolo is online now  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #430
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,587
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
Wow, I recently had an infraction so took great care to post some personal observations in as respectful a way as possible. But based on the venomous responses I got I guess I still hit a little too close to home for some of you. Let me address as much as I can in one post with the time I have.

For those who said I generalized, it is clear you only read what you wanted to in my post. I merely pointed out a personal observation that the number of kids going to work later and later was growing. That doesn’t mean ‘all of them’.

Next, it was several of you who stated how the younger chose to vote for obama in part because they thought he is cooler and then when I address this, you’re like ‘they didn’t vote for him b/c he’s hip/cool!’ w/e.

Overlord (and pink ranger) – I didn’t stereotype young people as lazy but it is undeniable that more of them are waiting until later in life to go to work and spending an inordinate amount of time on the internet posting on internet forums. As you say, this is their right. But I don’t think where it leads is a very good place. And all I said about SS and medicare is that everyone who has worked has paid in and at least deserves their share. Don’t act like the ‘medicare/ss is broken’ is something new. I’ve heard and said for years that there wouldn’t be anything for me when I got retirement age though I’ve paid in all these years. Everyone has known this for years and ears and still nothing has been done.

And why does it have to be the GOP willing to take on these 3 big items? What happened in obama’s first 2 years when he had a democratic congress?
Well the GOP claims to be the party of small government, so shouldn't they have more of an onus to actually reduce the size of government then the Democrats? If the GOP want reduce the size of government and are not willing to take on the 3 biggest budget items, then they have a self defeating mission. That's why reducing government is hard, not easy, you can't just cut funding to PBS, Planned Parenthood and get a few fraudsters off welfare and except that suddenly the budget will be balanced. If we can't cut these big ticket items, where are we supposed to get to reduce the debt? How can we give back everything everyone paid into these programs and have enough money left to pay off the national debt? Governing is about making tough choices, some times you do not a get a good option. You want to cut taxes, fine, but that is going to cost money and you are going to have find a place to get it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
SuperT: go back and read. I didn’t say ‘all’. You’re not helping to prove your point. I did say that younger voters are making up a bigger portion of the voting block so you did get that right.
What is your point then? That some young people are lazy, sure, but you say that about some adults, some old people, etc. Never predict trends on personal experience, one or two bad experience don't really predict trends. Of course some young people are going to be lazy, but that's always been the case, its not a recent trend. Before video games, teenagers watched too much TV or some other thing. Really if the worst thing a teenager does is not get a job in high school, consider yourself lucky. Everyone matures at different levels, why should every teenager work at Burger King? Isn't it silly to assume that teenagers who don't get a job while in school, will somehow assume decide that staying on welfare for the rest of their lives is a good idea? When you say young people have a "culture of entitlement" what are you basing that on? I think there many good reasons for and against getting a job while in high school and I don't think some teenagers not getting jobs in high school proves that there is a "culture of entitlement" amongst them.

Maybe some of them are just better at time management and can balance work and school better then some others. Time Management is not a universal skill, women are better at multi tasking then men, for example. What if someone is struggling in school, will spending time working at Burger King really be best for their lives as students? Isn't naive to say all high schoolers should have both a job and go to school, when some are not ready for it or can't handle it? Shouldn't we give some latitude for individual teenagers to find their way. Just because working at a job and going to school at the same time was best for you as teenager, doesn't mean its the best path for all teenagers. If we believe in individualism, we have to realize individuals are different, and thus have different strengths and weaknesses, saying that all people should all take the same path at the same time ignores that.

I think the idea that you have to be some uber serious stolid person when you get older just isn't true anymore, its a bit naive to say old people should just be always serious, stolid people. I don't see how video games are less mature then yelling at the TV because your sports team didn't win.

But who has the onus here, do young people have the onus to vote for the GOP or does the GOP have the onus to try to appeal to young people? People can survive without a party much better then a party can survive without support from the people. Are young people not voting for the GOP because they are lazy or do they simply not like the GOP's social policies? Maybe if the GOP was more libertarian, they can attract support from young professionals?


Last edited by The Overlord; 11-14-2012 at 12:58 AM.
The Overlord is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #431
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 21,277
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
What has John Kerry done to get himself the Secretary of Defense role? Im still trying to wrap my head around that.
He was Obama's first debate practice guy.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #432
Slushy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hell
Posts: 8,803
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition





Quote:
What has John Kerry done to get himself the Secretary of Defense role? Im still trying to wrap my head around that.
He was against his promotion then he was for it.

Slushy is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #433
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,133
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
What has John Kerry done to get himself the Secretary of Defense role? Im still trying to wrap my head around that.
All I know is that Democrats wanted him to replace Robert Gates in 2008.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants
Loki: i have an armyTony Stark: we have a hulk!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #434
Pink Ranger
Happy Mothers' Day
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 32,266
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post


So who will benefit from the next 3 Superman movies?

__________________
Mandroid. Mercenary. Scientist. Ninja. Each one a specialist. Together they are ...

ELIMINATORS!
Coming January 31, 1986, to VHS and video CD
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #435
tdeverea
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 375
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
What has John Kerry done to get himself the Secretary of Defense role? Im still trying to wrap my head around that.
Google.

tdeverea is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #436
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
 
Excel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Places
Posts: 19,563
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Will Barack rise like Bruce did? Lets hope...

__________________
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #437
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 34,604
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
Google.
Thank you very much for this conversational response. I know i can google it, but id rather discuss it with these fine folks and get their opinion of why they think he deserves the role.

__________________
"When the snows fall, when the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives."

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Marvolo is online now  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #438
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Well the GOP claims to be the party of small government, so shouldn't they have more of an onus to actually reduce the size of government then the Democrats? If the GOP want reduce the size of government and are not willing to take on the 3 biggest budget items, then they have a self defeating mission. That's why reducing government is hard, not easy, you can't just cut funding to PBS, Planned Parenthood and get a few fraudsters off welfare and except that suddenly the budget will be balanced. If we can't cut these big ticket items, where are we supposed to get to reduce the debt? How can we give back everything everyone paid into these programs and have enough money left to pay off the national debt? Governing is about making tough choices, some times you do not a get a good option. You want to cut taxes, fine, but that is going to cost money and you are going to have find a place to get it from.
First let’s just get one thing out of the way. You can’t pay the debt down without raising taxes across the board. I have no problem with that. Just don’t tell me ‘there will be no increase on middle class taxes’ when there will have to be to get anything done. I would have a lot more respect for Obama if he said that. But then history shows not many who support him really care if he follows thru on his campaign promises anyway. I never said I wanted to cut taxes. Obama said he wouldn’t raise taxes on the middle class and that is just not feasible.

Second, I would have no problem gutting PBS. What else? How about all benefits to illegal aliens who don’t pay anything into the system but are still allowed to pour into the country unchecked for political reasons? How about cutting subsidies for stuff like sheepherders who raise mohair sheep or millions of dollars to learn why monkeys throw their poop? How about cutting Congress’s ability to vote themselves a payraise? How about their exorbitant health care, travel, personal spending and retirement plans? Do you feel this is something that only the republicans should be concerned about and take steps to fix? And that is just the tip of the iceberg. The problem is not getting more revenue in the form of higher taxes but making sure that that money is spent in a fiscally responsible way. That is something I have zero confidence in being done.

And SS will be broke in 20 years. I know every check I get that I’ll never see the benefits of the money that I have paid in all the years I’ve worked. My point was is it right that I and many more (you know, the old leeches) should pay into it all these years and get nothing yet some kid who doesn’t have time to work but somehow has time to do all other kinds of things votes someone into office in part because they promise him a ‘free’ education?


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord
What is your point then? That some young people are lazy, sure, but you say that about some adults, some old people, etc. Never predict trends on personal experience, one or two bad experience don't really predict trends. Of course some young people are going to be lazy, but that's always been the case, its not a recent trend.
I am not ONLY using personal experience to point to a trend. I said the education system was getting dumbed down more and more. Not just from my own experiences.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A45015-2004Apr26

There is a LOT more data out there to show this to the point that if you are unaware of it you essentially must have your head under a rock. I don’t mean that to be insulting, it is just a fact.
Next I said the number of teens starting work later in life is growing
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-01-09/markets/29974355_1_teen-participation-teen-unemployment-participation-rate

That in itself may not be so bad but let’s move on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord
Before video games, teenagers watched too much TV or some other thing. Really if the worst thing a teenager does is not get a job in high school, consider yourself lucky. Everyone matures at different levels, why should every teenager work at Burger King? Isn't it silly to assume that teenagers who don't get a job while in school, will somehow assume decide that staying on welfare for the rest of their lives is a good idea? When you say young people have a "culture of entitlement" what are you basing that on? I think there many good reasons for and against getting a job while in high school and I don't think some teenagers not getting jobs in high school proves that there is a "culture of entitlement" amongst them.

Maybe some of them are just better at time management and can balance work and school better then some others. Time Management is not a universal skill, women are better at multi tasking then men, for example. What if someone is struggling in school, will spending time working at Burger King really be best for their lives as students? Isn't naive to say all high schoolers should have both a job and go to school, when some are not ready for it or can't handle it? Shouldn't we give some latitude for individual teenagers to find their way. Just because working at a job and going to school at the same time was best for you as teenager, doesn't mean its the best path for all teenagers. If we believe in individualism, we have to realize individuals are different, and thus have different strengths and weaknesses, saying that all people should all take the same path at the same time ignores that.
Read this (admittedly from Australia but I think it mirrors our own society pretty well) - http://jezebel.com/adulthood/#13529082021593&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":2 136}

Kids are maturing at a slower rate. This is from a choice that they are allowed to make. I specifically pointed out that my oldest son lives with his mom. The reason he lives with her is because in my house, once he was out of high school, he was either going to be registered for college or working and paying rent or finding his own place to live. His mom allowed him to move in with her and now that he’s out of school he is neither registered for school nor paying rent. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a kid to work. I think it builds character and teaches them much more that they will need to make it in life than endless hours spent on the internet. And I think it is ludicrous to suggest a kid should not be expected to work or make good grades but that it is perfectly ok for them to spend hours and hours playing video games.

Then add the entitlement mentality

http://www.empoweringparents.com/I-Want-It-Now-How-to-Challenge-a-False-Sense-of-Entitlement-in-Kids.php#
People who have this mindset often hold a negative view of hard work—they put it down and ridicule it. They think they deserve things they haven't earned, and they can develop contempt for people who work to earn things.

I believe that a false sense of entitlement affects every strata of society today. Kids who grow up this way don't want the jobs that are available because they have the belief that they're entitled to something better without having to make an effort. So that false sense of entitlement prohibits them from getting the work skills and the social skills they need to start at the bottom and work their way up.”


http://www.thenewiq.com/integritywatch-blog/who-picks-after-you

I am saying that the entitlement mindset is growing in this country and it is being taught to the kids. They are the future, remember? This is the mindset behinds the occupy movement. The majority of teens today have a computer, Iphone, new video game system but didn’t pay for them themselves

So you have education essentially becoming a joke, kids becoming less interested in working or basically growing up but still want everything handed to them for free and it is looked at as perfectly acceptable. And whether you admit it or not, it is a trend. So what’s next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord
I think the idea that you have to be some uber serious stolid person when you get older just isn't true anymore, its a bit naive to say old people should just be always serious, stolid people. I don't see how video games are less mature then yelling at the TV because your sports team didn't win.
I never said you have to be ‘uber’ serious but in a time when the country is in such dire financial/employment situation, don’t you think it is a bit irresponsible to teach kids that its ok to not work and just play video games? And yes, yelling at the tv is immature. The difference is one usually yells at the tv for a few minutes. Video game addicts play video games to the point of exhaustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord
But who has the onus here, do young people have the onus to vote for the GOP or does the GOP have the onus to try to appeal to young people? People can survive without a party much better then a party can survive without support from the people. Are young people not voting for the GOP because they are lazy or do they simply not like the GOP's social policies? Maybe if the GOP was more libertarian, they can attract support from young professionals?
I think the onus is on each person to take personal responsibility for themselves and their kids. If a kid is allowed to behave any way they want, that is the fault of the parent who has failed in their responsibility.

The bottom line is I have shown support for my views. Where does the trend ultimately lead? One thing I know for sure – a trend in a society towards ever increasing dependence on someone else (government) leads to a different form of government (Marxism, socialism) where freedoms are lost. Is that the kind of country you want or do you disagree with my rationale?

Spider‐Man is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #439
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

The thought that "young people are lazy and don't want to get jobs" is hilarious to me. There simply are NO JOBS TO BE HAD for newly-minted college grades with NO experience.

Spider-Man, simply because your oldest son is lazy and won't get off his duff, doesn't mean that it's true across the board. Maybe there IS a population of lazy 20-somethings out there, but there are also a lot of 20-somethings. I come from a highly educated background, and all my HS and college classmates are scrambling to get any job they can. It's surely not for lack of trying.

I graduated from a liberal arts school nobody ever heard of back in 2006, with a 3.6 GPA and a biology degree and one summer internship at a lab, thanks to my scientist aunt. No academic awards. I wasn't even in the top half of students there. I had two professors I could use comfortably as references. I sent out 5 resumes and had two interviews, one by phone, and I had a job. From the phone interview, which I actually thought had gone pretty badly. I joke that I got my job because I was a biology major who didn't immediately go on to medical or graduate school, and my boss needed people right away. I was at the right place at the right time.

My younger sister graduated in 2009 from a top 5 national university, pretty much Ivy League - it's just not on the east coast. 4.0 GPA, numerous academic awards, lots of job experience, and almost every professor she ever had could be a reference for her. Had a master's too, which she'd gotten during her undergrad. The epitome of type A overachiever. She'll gladly work to the bone for anybody.

She sent out over 100 resumes, and finally had a job after 5 months. The only thing I possibly had over her was that I had a biology degree, and she majored in sociology. And that I happened to graduate at the right time. Even with her qualifications, she couldn't find a job. Simply put, nobody was looking.

Now, the unemployment rate is officially lower now than it was in 2009, but how many of those grads from back then are still trying to catch up? How many of them went back to school because they couldn't find a job, but need a job now? When people start hiring again, they want people with job experience in their chosen careers, not some MA or PhD grad with nothing but part-time "Starbucks" or "McD's". It's a catch-22, one that my boss easily copped up to. I got hired because I had lab experience, and I only had that because I had family who could house and feed me with while I was interning that summer. If someone comes from a poor background and can't spend their summers working at a lab for free, they're out of luck. Paid internships simply don't exist anymore.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com

Last edited by Anita18; 11-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Anita18 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #440
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 28,388
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Just skimmed Obama's press conference. I do not know the ends-and-outs of Rice's role in Benghazi (so far for me, it seems she just was a public face for the administration). If more comes out we'll see.

I just wanted to comment on Obama's response to McCain and Graham. I didn't realize they were raising cain on this. And it really did annoy me. Not because they're going after Rice or Obama, but because of their GD holier-than-thou attitude. These are two men who cheerleaded us into the Iraq War that NEEDLESSLY got over 4,000 Americans killed and Lord knows how many Iraqis and they stand their with their faux-outrage as if they are the defenders of national security and the safety of American servicemen and women? Such arrogance is astoundingly offensive.

Just my two cents. Carry on.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #441
Compi716
The SHH! Jew
 
Compi716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles.
Posts: 8,575
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Can we at least all agree on the fact that younger people lack the wisdom that their parents posses, yet for some reason think they're on the same page of reality?

__________________
Clark Kent is Superman's critique of the entire Human race.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #442
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 26,158
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

No. I think it varies from individual to individual. Old people aren't just wise by default.

__________________
He's a silent guardian...a watchful protector...a Dark Schloss...

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #443
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 28,388
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

I think this entire younger generation got screwed over badly. Anyone who graduated college with only a BA between 2009-2011 is in, as Anita says, a catch-22. Most of them either got jobs that were not in their major field of interest and are now going down a different career path, got part-time jobs that make them have to compete now as the economy is inching back with fresh graduates from 2012 onwards, or went back to school and have little real world experience.

Some may be "lazy," but overall much of it is really the terrible luck of graduating at the worst possible time in US history (I'd say the depression, but college education isn't comparable like that). I moved to find better work myself a few years ago. It is just a bad time to be a college graduate and the student loan system is making many debtors for life.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #444
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
The thought that "young people are lazy and don't want to get jobs" is hilarious to me. There simply are NO JOBS TO BE HAD for newly-minted college grades with NO experience.

Spider-Man, simply because your oldest son is lazy and won't get off his duff, doesn't mean that it's true across the board. Maybe there IS a population of lazy 20-somethings out there, but there are also a lot of 20-somethings. I come from a highly educated background, and all my HS and college classmates are scrambling to get any job they can. It's surely not for lack of trying.

I graduated from a liberal arts school nobody ever heard of back in 2006, with a 3.6 GPA and a biology degree and one summer internship at a lab, thanks to my scientist aunt. No academic awards. I wasn't even in the top half of students there. I had two professors I could use comfortably as references. I sent out 5 resumes and had two interviews, one by phone, and I had a job. From the phone interview, which I actually thought had gone pretty badly. I joke that I got my job because I was a biology major who didn't immediately go on to medical or graduate school, and my boss needed people right away. I was at the right place at the right time.

My younger sister graduated in 2009 from a top 5 national university, pretty much Ivy League - it's just not on the east coast. 4.0 GPA, numerous academic awards, lots of job experience, and almost every professor she ever had could be a reference for her. Had a master's too, which she'd gotten during her undergrad. The epitome of type A overachiever. She'll gladly work to the bone for anybody.

She sent out over 100 resumes, and finally had a job after 5 months. The only thing I possibly had over her was that I had a biology degree, and she majored in sociology. And that I happened to graduate at the right time. Even with her qualifications, she couldn't find a job. Simply put, nobody was looking.

Now, the unemployment rate is officially lower now than it was in 2009, but how many of those grads from back then are still trying to catch up? How many of them went back to school because they couldn't find a job, but need a job now? When people start hiring again, they want people with job experience in their chosen careers, not some MA or PhD grad with nothing but part-time "Starbucks" or "McD's". It's a catch-22, one that my boss easily copped up to. I got hired because I had lab experience, and I only had that because I had family who could house and feed me with while I was interning that summer. If someone comes from a poor background and can't spend their summers working at a lab for free, they're out of luck. Paid internships simply don't exist anymore.
NOt trying to be confrontational but I was called out on trying to use personal accounts to try to paint the entire picture so I supplied plenty of sources to back up what I feel. You have provided an example of you and your sister.

Unemployment in my state was up to ~15% and I will tell you honestly, with the exception of a couple of months a few years ago (a time where I actually went out and creatd work for myself) I have never been unemployed nor had a problem finding a job.

I will stop this now because it will basically devolve into he said/she said. I just have my view and I guess the future will prove me right or wrong. I will say the sociology degree might have had something to do with your sister's troubles. I knew a guy years ago who went to UNC for 4 years and majored in music. Last time I saw him he was delivering newspapers.

Spider‐Man is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #445
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I think this entire younger generation got screwed over badly. Anyone who graduated college with only a BA between 2009-2011 is in, as Anita says, a catch-22. Most of them either got jobs that were not in their major field of interest and are now going down a different career path, got part-time jobs that make them have to compete now as the economy is inching back with fresh graduates from 2012 onwards, or went back to school and have little real world experience.

Some may be "lazy," but overall much of it is really the terrible luck of graduating at the worst possible time in US history (I'd say the depression, but college education isn't comparable like that). I moved to find better work myself a few years ago. It is just a bad time to be a college graduate and the student loan system is making many debtors for life.
I don't understand. Our area has been one of the most robust in the country. I know you lived in Cary, a pretty affluent area (though I sure would never live there!). Did you go to State? My sister went there, graduated with a degree in CS and got a job at Glaxo. Being science based degrees usually means better opportunities for a job. I'm just confused because usually it is people moving HERE for the work not away.

I've done everything from retail to construction to bartending. Sometimes a degree doesn't help and as you say sometimes you have to do something outside that field. I even went BACK to school, chose more wisely second time around and got a job immediately upon graduation.

We are stll paying my wife's loan (which she acquired before we met) but at least it enabled her to get her degree so to us is worth it.

Spider‐Man is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #446
tdeverea
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 375
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Thank you very much for this conversational response. I know i can google it, but id rather discuss it with these fine folks and get their opinion of why they think he deserves the role.

I don't think you're very interested in a discussion at all. Otherwise, you would've gathered your facts, presented them, and then asked the members what they thought of your findings. John Kerry served his country in Vietnam and, as a senator, fought to protect the rights of veterans. That's pretty general but Google would help you easily understand how he might be qualified to serve as Secretary of Defense. His legislative record is available.

I'm just sayin'...

tdeverea is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #447
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 28,388
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
I don't understand. Our area has been one of the most robust in the country. I know you lived in Cary, a pretty affluent area (though I sure would never live there!). Did you go to State? My sister went there, graduated with a degree in CS and got a job at Glaxo. Being science based degrees usually means better opportunities for a job. I'm just confused because usually it is people moving HERE for the work not away.

I've done everything from retail to construction to bartending. Sometimes a degree doesn't help and as you say sometimes you have to do something outside that field. I even went BACK to school, chose more wisely second time around and got a job immediately upon graduation.

We are stll paying my wife's loan (which she acquired before we met) but at least it enabled her to get her degree so to us is worth it.
Not to get too personal, but what I went to school for I wasn't finding in NC. Maybe one day I will return, but I went to where there were better opportunities for starting out.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #448
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,983
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Can we at least all agree on the fact that younger people lack the wisdom that their parents posses, yet for some reason think they're on the same page of reality?
Maybe they are not as wise in some aspects, but the younger people of today are definitely smarter than their parents were.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #449
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 25,882
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
NOt trying to be confrontational but I was called out on trying to use personal accounts to try to paint the entire picture so I supplied plenty of sources to back up what I feel. You have provided an example of you and your sister.

Unemployment in my state was up to ~15% and I will tell you honestly, with the exception of a couple of months a few years ago (a time where I actually went out and creatd work for myself) I have never been unemployed nor had a problem finding a job.

I will stop this now because it will basically devolve into he said/she said. I just have my view and I guess the future will prove me right or wrong. I will say the sociology degree might have had something to do with your sister's troubles. I knew a guy years ago who went to UNC for 4 years and majored in music. Last time I saw him he was delivering newspapers.
I had a HS classmate who graduated with an electrical engineering degree who couldn't find a job and went back to school. I live in California - the people I'm telling stories about are from the Bay Area and Los Angeles.

There's always things that complicate the anecdotes. My sister went into policy work, which her internship/work experience and degree pointed a straight arrow to. For a career-oriented go-getter person like she is, Starbucks would not have cut it. Every job you have HAS to be a stepping stone. Even in research where I am, a job at Starbucks on one's resume would only beg the question, "Why didn't you work in a lab?" It really depends on your field. For some industries, it's perfectly okay to have a lot of odd jobs on your resume. For others, it looks like you're not really passionate about the field, and they'll take someone "more passionate" (ie, had the resources to have unpaid internships) over you.

She also didn't want to move too far from San Francisco. To have the easiest time finding a job, you really do have to cast your net wide and be willing to move anywhere. Not everyone has that kind of luxury, given how expensive moving can be. And probably only a very strong candidate like my sister could command a relocation fee. It's an employer's market now - why the heck would they pay someone to move to work there where they could hire an equally qualified candidate close by?

So yes, some 20-somethings can be lazy and have a sense of entitlement, but we also can't ignore that the job market SUCKS for a lot of fields out there, and that a lot of college grads feel jipped because it seems their hard work resulted in a bunch of nothing. At least my sister was literally the perfect job candidate on paper. Probably 99% of those hunting for jobs don't have half the resume she had.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #450
Paradoxium
Making Your Head Explode
 
Paradoxium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,485
Default Re: The President Obama Thread: "Re-Election!" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

My younger sister graduated in 2009 from a top 5 national university, pretty much Ivy League - it's just not on the east coast. 4.0 GPA, numerous academic awards, lots of job experience, and almost every professor she ever had could be a reference for her. Had a master's too, which she'd gotten during her undergrad. The epitome of type A overachiever. She'll gladly work to the bone for anybody.

She sent out over 100 resumes, and finally had a job after 5 months. The only thing I possibly had over her was that I had a biology degree, and she majored in sociology
That's her problem.

__________________
.
.
Paradoxium is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.