Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Hm?
Yes 26 27.08%
No 70 72.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #151
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Default Re: Should they recast Superman?

I like Nicholas Hoult as an actor but hell no to him playing Superman.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #152
batfreakforever
A real fan

WB won't recast Superman so this thread is completely irrelevant. Cavill will remain Superman for alteast 10 more movies. Cavill just loves this character so much and he is great at it. He said he will play him for as long as WB want him too and with the small amount of positives in JL Cavill's Superman was one of them and with talks of finally a MOS 2 that Cavill keeps talking about. He isn't going away from the Superman role anytime soon.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #153
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
WB won't recast Superman so this thread is completely irrelevant. Cavill will remain Superman for alteast 10 more movies. Cavill just loves this character so much and he is great at it. He said he will play him for as long as WB want him too and with the small amount of positives in JL Cavill's Superman was one of them and with talks of finally a MOS 2 that Cavill keeps talking about. He isn't going away from the Superman role anytime soon.
He may have the Superman role for a while but you think he's going to play him in 10 more movies? Seriously?

Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #154
Flash525
Side-Kick

Quote:
When is your next tour? You're hilarious!

Old 05-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #155
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Cavill will remain Superman for alteast 10 more movies.
...wow, that's a lot of cameos in other characters' movies.

Some folks let their marbles roll into traffic...I throw mine at the windshields.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #156
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #157
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

Quote:
The legend returns!

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #158
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Benjamin Walker and Armie Hammer are the only options that sound good to me

But honestly I’ve given Cavill a lot of **** but deep down I know that the problem is the writing and not his chops.

He’s no Reeve, but he’s about as good as we’re going to get.

Honestly all the live action Supermen of the modern era (Welling, Hoechlin, Routh, and Cavill) have been pretty good. None of them were miscast IMO.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 AM   #159
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Benjamin Walker and Armie Hammer are the only options that sound good to me

But honestly I’ve given Cavill a lot of **** but deep down I know that the problem is the writing and not his chops.

He’s no Reeve, but he’s about as good as we’re going to get.

Honestly all the live action Supermen of the modern era (Welling, Hoechlin, Routh, and Cavill) have been pretty good. None of them were miscast IMO.

The funny thing about actors is they really rely on a good director, Arnold is an actor that isnt highly regarded as being a good actor, sure charismatic but he wont ever win awards but when paired up with James Cameron you get something different from him than you would another director (T3-T:G)

Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #160
jolldan
Side-Kick

No I think they could do with lightening him up a little like they did in Justice League but he's about as good an actor as you can get for the role.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #161
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

I just know that I can't wait for Man of Steel 10.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #162
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I only mean that Marvel's films have a broader appeal, which is undeniable when considering both profits and critical reception. I can state that and still be a fan of every DCEU film, which I am.
Profits though...depends how you look at it. The least successful DCEU movie made $657m (JL of course), Man of Steel made $668m, and all the other cleared $700m, with Batman v Superman close to $900m.

Looking at the MCU, they have seven films less successful than the DCEU movies, with three making less than $500m and two making less than $400m. On the other hand, they have seven films more succesful than any DCEU film, with six making over $1b.

So it's probably fairer to say the DCEU films rank along side the mid-tier of Marvel Studios films in terms of financial success.

Last edited by Kevin Roegele; 05-22-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #163
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
WB won't recast Superman so this thread is completely irrelevant. Cavill will remain Superman for alteast 10 more movies. Cavill just loves this character so much and he is great at it. He said he will play him for as long as WB want him too and with the small amount of positives in JL Cavill's Superman was one of them and with talks ouf finally a MOS 2 that Cavill keeps talking about. He isn't going away from the Superman role anytime soon.
Robert Downey Jr. has done ten movies as Stark if you count Avengers 4, but he's done that by playing the character almost every year.

2008 x 2 Iron Man, Incredible Hulk
2010 Iron Man 2
2012 Avengers
2013 Iron Man 3
2015 Age of Ultron
2016 Civil War
2017 Homecoming
2018 Infinity War
2019 Avengers 4

It's hard to conceive Cavill doing something similar, in part because the DCEU doesn't produce as many movies, and partly because Superman just isn't as high on their agenda as Iron Man has been for Marvel.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #164
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Well, now that I think about it, Cavill might make 10 appearances as Superman when all is said and done.

1. Man of Steel
2. Carl's Jr. Commercial
3. BvS
4. BvS: The Ultimate Edition
5. Turkish Airline Commerical
6. & 7. Justice League (it was originally conceived as two films so it counts twice)
8. Cameo in Shazam
9. Justice League: The Snyder Cut (which is 100% different than the theatrical version and is totally coming out any day now)
10. Man of Steel 2

Honorable Mention: Mission Impossible Fallout (since this movie created problems for JL reshoots, it should also be counted... for some reason)

Old 05-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #165
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #166
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Recasting Cavill would come with problems fo sho. If they're keeping Gadot, Momoa and Ezra, which they will for a good while, recasting the Superman they were introduced with would be an unjustified break from continuity. Replacing Affleck can be explained away as an A-list actor willfully walking away for career reasons, but Cavill is probably willing to stay on the role, and making him the only recast would feel gratuitous and a bit mean.

But outside of political reasons, with an eye on what would actually be creatively healthy for a standalone series... yes. He's a flagship character, and there'd be no healthier thing than a palate cleanser in the form of a Superman re-built from the ground up, with a face free of baggage and full of wiggle room for a new continuity.

In a perfect fantasy world: a Broadway up-and-comer in his late twenties with a handful of solid performances under his belt. If you're gonna replace an established face, you might as well improve where you can. But I'd take Benjamin Walker, too. Armie Hammer, better even.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #167
Thundarr
Side-Kick

They should redo the entire DC cinematic universe from the ground up. recast damn near everyone. Maybe build off of CW's Supergirl series, adding other DC characters as it develops. Instead of creating a TV series as a spinoff of a successful cinematic universe like marvel has (Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. and their various Netflix series), build a successful movie franchise off of a TV series (somewhat like the Naked Gun movies, except that Police Squad was a total failure as a TV show).

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #168
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Honestly, having now seen them all in JL I don't have a problem with any of the DCEU hero casting. Ezra Miller's Flash had me wondering, but whilst he's not the Barry I know from the comics, as a performance I like it/him. I was anti-Affleck when the news first broke that he'd been cast but I think he's done a good job as Batman and as Bruce Wayne. Any problems I have with the DCEU don't revolve around the heroes themselves. Actually that's not quite true; whilst I don't want Affleck to go, if he is going I wish they'd just say so, so we can all move on and look to the future.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #169
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Eisenberg felt like a miscast from the get-go. Keep Cavill. New writer and director.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 AM   #170
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Eisenberg felt like a miscast from the get-go. Keep Cavill. New writer and director.
I understand the urge to do something completely removed from the source material (look at Heath's Joker) but make something compelling. The Lex in BvS was more 'Riddler' than 'Lex Luther'.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #171
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Yeah, Eisenlex was the kiss of death. Don't get me wrong, NOTHING about BvS is good, but man, when he showed up on the screen, any chance that movie had of being good plummeted straight into hell.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #172
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Start fresh.

Glen Powell, 29, 6'0
Credits: Set it Up, Hidden Figures, & Everybody Wants Some!

He's worked with some great directors and has the frame & personality:

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #173
BH/HHH
You Are My World

They aren’t recasting Henry, there was a time where I was worried he wasn’t but I’m 100% positive he is staying now.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #174
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Absolutely, I can't see him going anywhere.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #175
honestbharani
Side-Kick

Cavill deserves "one more match"..

honestbharani is offline   Reply With Quote