The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 07-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #51
Sawyer
High King

Default Re: Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

One thing about Superman For All Seasons that I'd be interested to see is how Tim Sale's character designs would look animated and/or how far they stray from his style.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:04 AM   #52
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Default Re: Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
One thing about Superman For All Seasons that I'd be interested to see is how Tim Sale's character designs would look animated and/or how far they stray from his style.
If Tim Sale's work is going to be adapted, it should be TLH.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #53
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

I loooooove Superman: Doomsday, I also adore that they ignored the chaos of the Eradicator and Hank Henshaw, cause those two need to be adapted in an animated series to do a more inspired adaption of the full event.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #54
Mustang69
Side-Kick

I just saw that this was coming and cannot wait. I have the original comics and love reading them. I have Superman: Doomsday on DVD and while it was entertaining, some of the voice cast choices werent that great, specifically Anne Heche as Luis. She was just horrible in my opinion.

Mustang69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #55
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

From the Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay iTunes page. Yeah, this seems to be in continuity as expected and I'm frankly a little disappointed. I just wish they would experiement with the animation style more these days.

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #56
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Not liking what I’m seeing

Old 02-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #57
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
From the Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay iTunes page. Yeah, this seems to be in continuity as expected and I'm frankly a little disappointed. I just wish they would experiement with the animation style more these days.
I do too.

For example, the graphic novels of The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, and Gotham by Gaslight all have such unique visual styles. While the films didn't need to copy those visual styles exactly as they are in the graphic novels, it'd be nice to see them diversify the looks of these films a bit more. Get creative with it. I'm not really a fan of how homogeneous they all appear.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #58
Sawyer
High King

Ugh.

We're two years out from the New 52 era ending in the comics, why are they still doing this?

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #59
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Ugh.

We're two years out from the New 52 era ending in the comics, why are they still doing this?
Prabably because its cheap to re-use the same character models and backgrounds, etc.

At the very least they should have gotten rid of that awful collar by now.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #60
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

They should've gone 100% classic on all designs for this. Tired of the played out new 52 style.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #61
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
Prabably because its cheap to re-use the same character models and backgrounds, etc.

At the very least they should have gotten rid of that awful collar by now.
Maybe it's a plot point...

*dies wearing the collar*

*resurrects without one*

"Hey guys, I've been reborn with better fashion sense!"

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #62
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Oh FFS it's set in that ****** New 52 animated universe, who the hell thought that was a good idea? Consider my excitement dampened.

BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #63
Juan1193
Side-Kick

I'm so glad it's set in the animated universe! They already have everything set up and enough characters for this story to have an impact.

Also it's probably more cost efficient this way, since all the characters already have designs

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Juan1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #64
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Hardly anyone cares about the world they've built so I don't think that it will have an impact.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #65
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
I don't doubt that's a big part of it. One of the reasons, apparently, that the non-DCAU Superman: Brainiac Attacks used the DCAU character models.

I enjoyed the DoS comics run and Superman: Doomsday is one of my favourite animated movies. I'd sooner have had something different but it will be interesting to compare them.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite

Last edited by Milk Tray Guy; 02-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #66
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

I have wanted them to scrap the animated universe for a while now... Just do standalones...

Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #67
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Hardly anyone cares about the world they've built so I don't think that it will have an impact.
I care, so that's good enough for me. Im curious to see which already established characters will show up and which new ones will make their debut.

Also I like the animated style, so I'm glad they didn't go for that ugly 90's aesthetic from the comic.

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Juan1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #68
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan1193 View Post
I care, so that's good enough for me. Im curious to see which already established characters will show up and which new ones will make their debut.

Also I like the animated style, so I'm glad they didn't go for that ugly 90's aesthetic from the comic.
I don't have a problem with the style choice, even if it differs from the comics. I'll take the Nu52 collar over the Supermullet with no questions asked.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #69
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:

Boring.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #70
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I have wanted them to scrap the animated universe for a while now... Just do standalones...
Agreed 1000%

Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #71
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Not surprised to see this poor reception.

If you’re going to adapt a beloved classic storyline, maybe adhere a little closer to the source material. I was disappointed by Judas Contract in the same way. This universe bores me. I want diversity like we used to get. With different animation styles and different voice actors. It felt more fresh

Old 02-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #72
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Not surprised to see this poor reception.

If you’re going to adapt a beloved classic storyline, maybe adhere a little closer to the source material. I was disappointed by Judas Contract in the same way. This universe bores me. I want diversity like we used to get. With different animation styles and different voice actors. It felt more fresh
Especially as they talked about how they wanted to do something more in line with the comic arc after knowing people were disappointed with Superman Doomsday.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #73
Binker
Side-Kick

Here's how I'm feeling:
When this was announced, I was excited. Because I'm a Superman fan, but also because having a properly told adaptation of the Death/Return of Superman, one of the most selling comic books/graphic novels of all time, is such great news to hear.

However, even before this image was revealed, I had forgotten about Teen Titans: The Judas Contract; a film based on a pre-Crisis classic DCU, but when they made the film version, they set it in the New 52 inspired DCUA. I had not taken into account that the same thing would happen here, and asked myself what-ifs if that did happen rather than the properly told adaptation I thought at first.

Now that it's revealed this is set in the New 52 DCUA, questions arise: this isn't Superman/Lois, but Superman/Wonder Woman; so how does that work when Lois IS important, not just because she's part of Superman's cast, but because their romantic relationship from the comics made this story almost hers, from dealing with her grief, to being the person when Black Suit Superman comes around to tell us that he's the real deal?

Plus, if this 2-parter becomes the story on how Superman leaves Diana for Lois, or if they're adding the classic Death/Return with Final Days which was published pre-Rebirth; or hell, pull a Superman Rebirth where the New 52 Superman and Lois are replaced by pre 52 Superman and Lois if this was an extreme case; any of these ideas are not from the classic source material, so why did you say you're doing this because you wanted to make a better adaptation compared to Superman/Doomsday?

Finally, how much of the New 52 will be applied to this post-Crisis story in the adaptation? For example: Steel is probably going to be the same, but will it be CADMUS or PROJECT that creates Superboy? Will Supergirl be in it, and therefore, will it be the New 52 Cyborg Superman who was Zor-El, her father? That I can see, as well as want to see.

Those are what I have questions on concerning this 2-parter. We won't get any answers until much later. But I gotta say, I'm more interested in this as opposed to that Suicide Squad animated film.

Defender of MAN OF STEEL. The most divisive and unfairly criticized film that happens to be Superman's best since SUPERMAN (1978).
As a Batman fan, I must say: I'm getting sick of seeing him all over the place thanks to WB.
Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #74
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Cool Rider

Casting.

Jerry O'Connell - Superman
Rebecca Romijn - Lois Lane
Rain Wilson - Lex Luthor
Rosario Dawson - Wonder Woman
Nathan Fillion - Green Lantern
Christopher Gorham - The Flash
Matt Lanter - Aquaman
Shemar Moore - Cyborg
Jason O'Mara - Batman
Rocky Carroll - Cyborg's Dad
Patrick Fabian - Hank Henshaw

Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #75
BH/HHH
You Are My World

My hype has gone for this knowing it’s set in the awful New 52 universe. I’ll probably watch it much later and hope it’s better than I think it will be.