Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Hm?
Yes 26 27.08%
No 70 72.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #26
Asr
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should they recast Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
I only mean that Marvel's films have a broader appeal, which is undeniable when considering both profits and critical reception. I can state that and still be a fan of every DCEU film, which I am.
Gotcha, and I totally agree on that. The MCU movies are great at appealing to basically all demographics, but that's also why I don't like them as much and tend to prefer either the non-MCU Marvel films (X-Men, Deadpool, etc) or the DC/DCEU films. The last great thing that came out of WB/DC was Nolan's Bat trilogy which is a travesty (well Wonder Woman was good, but IMO could've been better).

Asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #27
Silvermoth
Avenger

I like Cavill. I think he's just hitting his stride now.

Plus also, super hunky

Old 12-04-2017, 01:53 AM   #28
spiderman2
Side-Kick

No he is better at his roll then most other actors playing superhero's now or ever not all but better then most. He is not the problem just ever thing around him is.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:56 AM   #29
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
If I'm a WB executive or shareholder, I absolutely recast him.

We can argue all day about who's at fault, but the damage is done. Cavill is the face of three films that underperformed at best and tanked at worst.

Even if you bring in an entirely new creative team for the next Superman movie with the goal of making it more heroic and uplifting, I think you're going to have a hard time selling the movie to general audiences with him front and center. He is forever associated with this toxic DCEU brand, and I simply don't trust that people would show up for him a fourth time. The quickest and more sure-fire way to convince audiences that the next Superman movie will be different is with a new face.

With the right material, I'm sure Andrew Garfield would have made a terrific Spider-Man in the MCU, but Disney and Sony both knew that he was going to have to be one of the casualties from TAS2 in order to sell the new MCU Spider-Man. I see a similar situation here.
Its going to take more then just 1 movie with superman in it that is good to fix things. Has while has Spider-Man HC did if not for the past Spider-Man movies it would have easily done a billion + in the box office. People are not going to trust in movie with superman in it no matter what right now they just have to prove them selfs by making a good movie.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:40 AM   #30
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

No.

Henry is the right guy for the job. He's improving in the role, and at last someone has figured out that he needs to be fun. I thought he did well with an awful script in JL.

I don't think a clean slate is the right approach. Stick with Gal , Henry and Ben for another film, and then maybe gradual recasting after that ( except Gal).

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:57 AM   #31
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Honestly, I don't know. I don't see any Superman film on the horizon. They probably should. They need a new Superman, a new Lois, that aren't associated with DCFU.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:59 AM   #32
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Some of that audience, not all. WB already started over with Superman once, and did better at the BO with MoS over Superman Returns. Recasting their staples at this point is playing with fire.
You’ve literally made the argument for recasting Cavill here.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #33
Val_Zod
No, I am not Calvin Ellis

Cavill is meant for the role, so it'd tragic for him to leave the role before he could even start playing a character.

Val_Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #34
Kane52630
New Cydonian User

The should recast everyone, including the universe.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #35
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

Only if they blow it up entirely

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #36
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Wow genuinely shocked to see that more people would rather not recast.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #37
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some of that audience, not all. WB already started over with Superman once, and did better at the BO with MoS over Superman Returns. Recasting their staples at this point is playing with fire.
So you admit that a portion of the audience isn't buying Cavill as Superman, but you're against recasting?

Do you not wish to see a Superman that is universally appraised by all?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #38
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

If Cavill doesn't get a hair transplant or a wig. His hairline is rapidly receding and he'll eventually be a Norwood 6 like Bruce Willis and Jason Statham.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #39
Quality
Content Creator

If they recast Cavill, that means the DCEU will start all over again. At this point in the universe, they can't afford that. They might as well make more standalone movies with him and make it work.

Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #40
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

I would say that Cavill himself isn't the problem, so much as what it is he's been given to do thus far.

Even from what I've heard of JL (haven't seen it), it sounds like they may have knee-jerked and taken him a bit too far in the other direction. He doesn't have to be wise-cracking to be optimistic, and in fact I'd rather he didn't.

Some folks let their marbles roll into traffic...I throw mine at the windshields.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:22 AM   #41
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
So you admit that a portion of the audience isn't buying Cavill as Superman, but you're against recasting?

Do you not wish to see a Superman that is universally appraised by all?
There were (and still are) portions of fans against Gadot, Affleck, and Miller. There were some fans who objected to Cyborg being included in the JL over other members like Martain Manhunter. There were fans who didn't like WB giving us the gritty 90s-style Aquaman over a more classic version. As I said, WB simply can't please everyone. There's no such thing as universal acceptance. Retooling a successful character on the off chance that someone else might be more broadly appealing is a risky proposition.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #42
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
If Cavill doesn't get a hair transplant or a wig. His hairline is rapidly receding and he'll eventually be a Norwood 6 like Bruce Willis and Jason Statham.
It might be fun to see a bald, non lex superman!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #43
Tg11
Side-Kick

Reboot the whole Man of Steel franchise...start fresh with a brand new face in the role of Kal El/Clark Kent/Superman...better yet start the whole DCEU over again from scratch

Tg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #44
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
There were (and still are) portions of fans against Gadot, Affleck, and Miller. There were some fans who objected to Cyborg being included in the JL over other members like Martain Manhunter. There were fans who didn't like WB giving us the gritty 90s-style Aquaman over a more classic version. As I said, WB simply can't please everyone. There's no such thing as universal acceptance. Retooling a successful character on the off chance that someone else might be more broadly appealing is a risky proposition.
"Iron Man was an okay movie but they really need to recast Robert Downey Jr if they plan to continue this franchise"

- Said no one

Old 12-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #45
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Who would you guys want if they do recast? I like Ben Walker. At 35, he's a little old if they want to do a straight up reboot with a new origin. But they could maybe just do it Incredible Hulk style where we see glimpses of the origin during the opening credits and then they just get right into it.

Deck Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #46
Boom
I got nothin'

I'd absolutely love Walker in the role. Assuming they went with an established Superman the next time out, he's my guy.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #47
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
"Iron Man was an okay movie but they really need to recast Robert Downey Jr if they plan to continue this franchise"

- Said no one

No one says it because Robert Downey Jr. is awesome, the Iron Man movies are successful, and the MCU has taken off like a rocket. Cavill, on the other hand, constantly looks constipated, is playing a role which they have so little faith in that they keep pushing off his sequel, and he's the main character in a cinematic universe which is presently imploding.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #48
Deck Rickard
Fighting is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I'd absolutely love Walker in the role. Assuming they went with an established Superman the next time out, he's my guy.
Yeah. I wasn't too high on him back when he was in that Abe Lincoln movie but he was great in In the Heart of the Sea and Shimmer Lake. The latter proved he can plan the small-town hero type really well. I really wish I had gotten up to NY to see him in American Psycho.

Deck Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #49
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:

- Said no one
Actually, there were pockets of fans who criticized all of the MCU leading men, with the except of SLJ. Hemsworth and Evans were criticized as too wooden and RDJ was too frenetic. I also remember that despite Spider-man's success in '02, there were Hypesters applauding the recasting of "rubber-faced Tobey" for the Amazing series. Like I said, universal acceptance is a pipe dream.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #50
LaughterLives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
No one says it because Robert Downey Jr. is awesome, the Iron Man movies are successful, and the MCU has taken off like a rocket. Cavill, on the other hand, constantly looks constipated, is playing a role which they have so little faith in that they keep pushing off his sequel, and he's the main character in a cinematic universe which is presently imploding.

People talked about this imdb boards all the time. Luke Evans was the popular pick to take over.
I like the idea myself but if they wanted to get an actor who can play the role more like RDJ, I'd get Miles Teller, Jensen Ackles, Chris Pine, Adam Driver or Shia.

LaughterLives is offline   Reply With Quote