Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Hm?
Yes 26 27.08%
No 70 72.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #51
Frodo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should they recast Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Cavill is the face of the DCEU. The DCEU hasn’t connected with audiences. And after 3 movies, Cavill hasn’t connected with audiences either. So my question is, should they keep Cavill or drop him?
I think there are two separate questions. What will likely happen and what should happen.

I think its likely Cavill is gone regardless of the fans who want that version to remain. BvS and JL has solidified WB decision to keep pushing off a sequel to MOS. He's done.

What should happen is more debatable and I think the answer to that depends on you're perspective of the DCEU. Me personally, I wouldn't just recast but reboot as well. Snyder basically wrote this version into a corner and it difficult to move forward from a narrative point of view.

This version in affect had an arch over MOS, BvS, and JL, thus making it difficult for this version to go anywhere else that would really appeal to an audience which has rejected this version .

They killed Superman, killed Jimmy, ruined this version of Lex, Perry is gone altogether, showed him as moody, violent, then finally acting like Superman at the end of JL, Lois already knows he's Superman thus eliminating the tension between the two of them etc.

You only get one chance to make a good first impression, and fair or not, this version has not made a good impression on the GA .After everything that's happened , that's not gonna change.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #52
mclay18
Side-Kick

No. They can certainly do more standalone films with him. His version of Superman has shifted over to one that people like. Recasting him due to how JL performed and made is idiotic, considering that he was one of the HIGHLIGHTS of that film.

It's ridiculous. If his star power rises more after Mission Impossible 6, Warners would be foolhardy to let his final option expire. They can make at least one more MOS film before recasting, give him a good film to leave on.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #53
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
His version of Superman has shifted over to one that people like.
How many people though? The film is currently tanking at the box office. Not many people outside of fans seem to be showing up.

I see no evidence that the general public is starting to embrace this Superman en masse. The box office receipts to prove it just aren't there. If I'm WB, I'm hesitant to assume that everybody is just going to start showing up for a new Superman movie, especially with this actor. This seems like a textbook case of "too little, too late."

Last edited by Boom; 12-06-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #54
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I think there are two separate questions. What will likely happen and what should happen.

I think its likely Cavill is gone regardless of the fans who want that version to remain. BvS and JL has solidified WB decision to keep pushing off a sequel to MOS. He's done.

What should happen is more debatable and I think the answer to that depends on you're perspective of the DCEU. Me personally, I wouldn't just recast but reboot as well. Snyder basically wrote this version into a corner and it difficult to move forward from a narrative point of view.

This version in affect had an arch over MOS, BvS, and JL, thus making it difficult for this version to go anywhere else that would really appeal to an audience which has rejected this version .

They killed Superman, killed Jimmy, ruined this version of Lex, Perry is gone altogether, showed him as moody, violent, then finally acting like Superman at the end of JL, Lois already knows he's Superman thus eliminating the tension between the two of them etc.

You only get one chance to make a good first impression, and fair or not, this version has not made a good impression on the GA .After everything that's happened , that's not gonna change.
Agreed with everything. I wasn't happy with a single one of Superman's supporting characters. Poor characterization and casting all around.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #55
Deck Rickard
HOLY F***, BATMAN!

The whole Jimmy Olsen thing REALLY felt like a slap in the face to hardcore fans.

And the way Lex was portrayed felt like a kick in the teeth.

Deck Rickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #56
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Rickard View Post
The whole Jimmy Olsen thing REALLY felt like a slap in the face to hardcore fans.
It is the epitome of everything I think many people disliked about the first two Superman films of this universe. It's a moment that goes out of its way to say "Oh, this ain't your granddaddy's Superman! This is something way darker and edgier!" just for the heck of it.

MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #57
Deck Rickard
HOLY F***, BATMAN!

Yeah. Just more proof of why Snyder was the WRONG guy for Superman. Or really any of these heroes.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #58
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

what, you guys didn't have fun with seeing secret agent jimmy olsen getting shot point blank in the face?

Because that was supposed to be fun!

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #59
Boom
I got nothin'

Superman can't have friends! SAD!!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #60
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Yeah honestly just reboot. Lois, Perry, Jimmy, and Jonathan were all mishandled or miscast and it’s too late to redeem them

Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #61
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
How many people though? The film is currently tanking at the box office. Not many people outside of fans seem to be showing up.

I see no evidence that the general public is starting to embrace this Superman en masse. The box office receipts to prove it just aren't there. If I'm WB, I'm hesitant to assume that everybody is just going to start showing up for a new Superman movie, especially with this actor. This seems like a textbook case of "too little, too late."
I agree. There are alot of fanboys who "like" Cavill's Superman, which is ironic given all the hell his version caught after MOS and all the bashing he got from fanboys.

Now ,suddenly Cavill and that version can't be replaced.

What fans have to reconcile is the idea that these films are meant to appeal to the general audience who make or brake these movies and who either click with an actor or particular version or they don't.

Just ask Andrew Garfield, Timothy Dalton, Brandon Routh or George Clooney.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #62
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Superman can't have friends! SAD!!
That's not stupid comics. People die here for real. Grow up.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #63
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

I could see Cavill returning in some other superhero's movie in a cameo role, but I doubt WB trusts his Superman to carry another movie all by himself. It's unfortunate since I suspect the audience has rejected Snyder more than Cavill.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #64
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
I could see Cavill returning in some other superhero's movie in a cameo role, but I doubt WB trusts his Superman to carry another movie all by himself. It's unfortunate since I suspect the audience has rejected Snyder more than Cavill.
I wouldn't be shocked if WB tried to have him worked into bookend scenes for WW2 just to finish out Cavill's contract and be done with it.

The complete lack of movement on a proper stand-alone Superman sequel despite all of Cavill's cheerleading leaves me with the impression that we may have seen the last of Superman as a stand-alone character, at least for a while. Warner Brothers hasn't learned anything of value from its cinematic failures with the character in the twenty-or-so years since Jon Peters first reared his gorilla's-mane into the fray, and I have no reason to believe that that situation is going to change anytime soon.

Some folks let their marbles roll into traffic...I throw mine at the windshields.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #65
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Cavill’s Superman went from being s*** to being okay

He got 3 cracks at it

Iwant a stand-alone Superman reboot

Old 12-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #66
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if WB tried to have him worked into bookend scenes for WW2 just to finish out Cavill's contract and be done with it.

The complete lack of movement on a proper stand-alone Superman sequel despite all of Cavill's cheerleading leaves me with the impression that we may have seen the last of Superman as a stand-alone character, at least for a while. Warner Brothers hasn't learned anything of value from its cinematic failures with the character in the twenty-or-so years since Jon Peters first reared his gorilla's-mane into the fray, and I have no reason to believe that that situation is going to change anytime soon.
I think the fact that WB immediately shoehorned Batman into the follow-up to MoS, let Snyder kill Superman at the end of it, and then made a Justice League movie where he only shows up for like ten minutes at the end tells you everything you need to know about how they view Superman as a viable solo property.

But yeah. We're totes getting MoS2 in a few years guys.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #67
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
It's Superman. Not Game of Thrones. Relentlessly killing his supporting cast isn't what his stories are about.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #68
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Cavill’s Superman went from being s*** to being okay

He got 3 cracks at it

Iwant a stand-alone Superman reboot
Oh lord, not this again.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #69
Tg11
Side-Kick

Cavill if they keep him as Superman they might as well go the Hulk route with him which means no more solo films and have him just show up in other DCEU films especially if it has been that much of a failure

Tg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #70
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
It's a character that is able to fly for no apparent reason and shoots laser beams out of his eyes. If we were to grow up we wouldn't be watching it at all. We'd be watching something like Dunkirk.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #71
BH/HHH
You Are My World

They should only recast if they're intent of moving away from the DCEU completely.

I actually fear that's exactly what will happen in 5-6 years.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #72
Deck Rickard
HOLY F***, BATMAN!

Whether they recast or not, I do wonder if WB could shelf the Superman character for years as a result of this debacle. Even if they use a new actor, I'm not confident that they'd want to roll the dice on another Superman solo film. Because after two solo efforts (SR, which flopped, and MOS, which underperformed) the public at large might not be interested in another Superman film, even if it's really good. And that's not to say that the character isn't popular or doesn't resonate with audiences anymore, although I'm sure that would be WB's take on the situation. Since, you know, God forbid they ever acknowledge that maybe THEY are the problem and their efforts to "modernize" the Man of Steel by making him "darker" are what have turned people off.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #73
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I need to see what their plan for the character is overall.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #74
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

Cavill is one of the best superhero castings I've ever seen, they just butchered the character for the first 2 movies. They gave him a ma and pa that are shameful. Instead of being like Uncle Ben teaching him how to be a hero and self sacrificial they instead of ma Kent basically say "you don't owe the world anything, f*** 'em". That's the antithesis of Uncle Ben and makes her simply a bad person.
They made him sullen and hated by some of the world instead of taking joy in helping people and horrified when they're hurt like he should be (he barely reacted when a building full of people exploded around him).

But all of that wasn't Cavill's fault. That was awful awful writing and directing. It's all on Snyder and the fool's who let him be in charge.

Cavill is a great actor who's perfect for the part. Get some decent people in charge of the film that's all.

Now Eisenberg on the other hand, I'd argue long and hard that he's the worst comic book casting of all time. I will never forgive whoever cast him and the fool's who approved that choice.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #75
Deck Rickard
HOLY F***, BATMAN!

Yeah, there's no debate about Eisenberg. He was 100% miscast and 100% awful.